Start by marking “Never Tell” as Want to Read:
Never Tell

Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher #4)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  2,978 Ratings  ·  351 Reviews
When high school junior Julia Whitmire is found dead in the bathtub of her family's Upper East Side apartment, her left wrist slashed and suicide note resting on her dresser, Ellie Hatcher and her partner, J.J. Rogan initially write the case off as a suicide. But soon new evidence comes to light.
Published August 30th 2012 by Avon (first published June 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Never Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Tell

James Thane
NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher is called to a death scene at a plush Manhattan town house. The body is that of a sixteen-year-old girl, Julia Whitmire. Julia was a student at an exclusive prep school, the daughter of influential parents, and a girl with perhaps too much independence. Julia is found in the tub with alcohol and drugs in her system; her wrist has been slit, and she has written an apparent suicide note.

All of the first responders, Ellie included, are ready to sign off on the death as
Glenda Bixler
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
Finding a new author that has given me a whodunit mystery that is so complex and interwoven that I'm still stumped until the very end, is a rare gift. I knew as soon as I started never tell that the author had that undefinable "edgy" feel to her writing that makes me tense, excited, knowing that I've picked a suspenseful winner to read!

Before I begin about the story, I want to highlight that there are a number of important issues about teens, drugs, sexuality, parenting, and schools that are at
Ed
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law-enforcement, nyc
#4 in the Ellie Hatcher series. This book was almost impossible to get into. If I had not read, and enjoyed, Burkes 7 previous books, including the first three of this series, I would have given up within the first 200 pages. For the first 200 pages, the only spark of life is the dialogue between Ellie and her musician brother. The final 150 pages bring some life to the story line and salvage the books rating.

Ellie Hatcher series - Julia Whitmire appeared to have everything: a famous father, a
Nia Forrester
It's been a long while since I read a book in this genre, but I decided to give it a try because the ebook was reasonably-priced, at $1.99, the author is female, is the daughter of the great James Lee Burke (author of 'Heaven's Prisoners' and the other Dave Robicheaux novels), and writes with a backdrop of a city (NYC) that I love.

But once I started reading, I found there was so much more. The main protagonist in this series of novels is police detective Ellie Hatcher. Ellie is somewhat of a bo
Quillracer
Another good entry in this series.

The investigation of a teen girl’s apparent suicide leads Hatcher into an investigation into threats against a blogger chronicling her childhood abuse. Burke does a good job of tying (if only faintly) both investigations together but the young woman’s death fades into the background as the threat investigation takes over. I think she could have done much more with the teen’s death storyline; it was strong enough to stand on its own.

Burke keeps the reader guessin
Marcia Clark
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and interesting! I always appreciate it when crime fiction authors incorporate real world issues and Alafair Burke has done a really nice job of weaving in prescription drug abuse, corruption, and the unique problems faced by today's teens in an organic, informative way. Protagonist Ellie Hatcher is realistically drawn. It was such a nice change of pace to finally see a detective who occasionally jumps to the wrong conclusion and makes mistakes along the way. It happens, and that realism add ...more
Alecia
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought it started out OK, but then had too many streams of disjointed storylines running through it. Although some of the characterizations were pretty good, I struggled to finish it and found it a tedious read overall.
Mary
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime/mystery buffs
Recommended to Mary by: Library browsing section
Good read. Characters appear real, believable, and I liked them. Female detective closes a case too soon, and is put back on it only to dig her teeth in and keep digging until she has solved the case, well almost....
Susan
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good whodunit, with many interesting characters and plot twists. The author did a great job of keeping my interest right up to the end of the book. Nice job!

This book was received for free from Goodreads First Reads.
Michael
Called to look into the death of sixteen-year old Julie Whitmire, NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher is quick to dismiss the death as a suicide. But after political pressure is placed on the department by Julie's high profile, wealthy and politically connected parents, Hatcher and her partner are forced to dig a bit deeper and quickly discover that things aren't necessarily as black and white as they originally assumed.

The theme of "never assume" is prevalent in Alafair Burke's newest installment in t
  • Stranger in the Room (Keye Street #2)
  • The Wrong Man (Jason Kolarich, #3)
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • Pierced (Henning Juul, #2)
  • Unacceptable Risk
  • Most Wanted: Pursuing Whitey Bulger, the Murderous Mob Chief the FBI Secretly Protected
  • Twice (Lydia Strong, #3)
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • The Viper
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens, #2)
  • House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5)
  • Dark Justice
  • The Risk Agent (Risk Agent, #1)
  • The Conviction (David Sloane, #5)
  • Trail Of Blood (Theresa MacLean #3)
  • The Skeleton Box (Starvation Lake, #3)
  • Hard Knocks
  • No Mark Upon Her (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #14)
Alafair Burke is the New York Times bestselling author of "two power house series" (Sun-Sentinel) that have earned her a reputation for creating strong, believable, and eminently likable female characters, such as NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher and Portland Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid. Alafair's novels grow out of her experience as a prosecutor in America's police precincts and crimina ...more
More about Alafair Burke...

Ellie Hatcher (5 books)
  • Dead Connection (Ellie Hatcher #1)
  • Angel's Tip (Ellie Hatcher #2)
  • 212 (Ellie Hatcher #3)
  • All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher, #5)