Start by marking “Dark Confluence (The Darkening #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Confluence (The Darkening #1)

Dark Confluence

(The Darkening #1)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The small Queensland country town of Emerald Hills is under siege by paranormal forces!

Jen McDonald, a small, neat, almost-overlooked spinster in her fifties faces a quandary. Traumatised by a car accident after seeing a mysterious, dark-shrouded figure of a woman on the road, Jen believes she may be losing her mind.

Maybe there is instead a far more malign reason for the
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 154 pages
Published March 23rd 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Dark Confluence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Confluence

N.N. Light
I enjoyed this fantasy. The characters and the plot keep me turning the pages.

My Rating: 4 stars
Lan Chan
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Above all else, Dark Confluence was a surprise. Being an avid reader of YA I don't usually find myself drawn to or identifying with older protagonists. There's something about Jen McDonald however, that hints at a deep seeded vulnerability and I found myself instantly drawn to her. Reluctantly content with a quiet life in a sleepy country town, Jen is the last person who would suspect that a freak accident could be the mysterious workings of a paranormal element. Gifted (or cursed depending on h ...more
Melissa Simmons
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit I don't normally go for the more terrifying books. However, Dark Confluence by Rosemary Fryth is just too good to pass up. It's spooky without being cheesy and not over the top with gore and violence. Instead it's fantastically scary, suspenseful and thought provoking. I lost sleep while reading this book, it's definitely a page turner!

I thoroughly enjoyed the main character, Jen. She is an incredible heroine. She finds herself at the center of a paranormal crisis in the small t
C. Purtill
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this on my Kindle and it was a real page-turner! Rosemary Fryth paints a picture of a small town in Australia that is absolutely charming and believable...and then slowly unravels some very creepy otherworldly elements.

Although there is a cast of great characters inhabiting Emerald Hills, the main one is Jen, a middle-aged woman who lives alone with few friends and no family. She is, by all accounts, an independent woman but beneath the surface, we find her lonely and wishing for true lov
Rayven
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dark Confluence is the first book in “The Darkening” series by Rosemary Firth. It is our first glimpse of the world that Rosemary has created. In the center of this world is Jen McDonald, who finds herself drawn into the world of the Fae and lands smack dab in the middle of an otherworldly war and children who have gone missing. With her own abilities starting to service she is terrified of what is to come she has to choose to become the hero or allow the darkness to take over.

This book is liste
TDCbookreviews
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark Confluence by Rosemary Fryth

Genre: Dark Fantasy/Horror

About the book: Strange happenings have been going on in town. Jen McDonald has been seeing things that no one else can see. Fionn, a Fae, tells her that she is the key to saving the town. Can she save the town without falling for him?

Review: I like that the heroine is not your typical woman, She is older with an already established life. The book began a bit slow but quickly picks up the pace as you begin to be submerged into the situat
Alicia
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I just grabbed something from the Urban Fantasy genre on one of my favorite free Kindle book sites. And it was better than expected, I.e., I actually finished it. It turned out to be by an Aussie author & set in Queensland, Australia, which was unique.

It's always fun to read something set in a place you've never been, because you learn new things. E.g., the author takes her main character for a walk around her country property & just matter-of-factly has her carry a big branch to slap t
Damien Richard
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dark Confluence is an eerie tale about a crossroads between our world and that of the fae. Although I found the first half of the book to be a little slow going, the second half quickly picks up, the story becomes very fast paced and a real page turner. The second half of the book really made me want to continue the trilogy.

Jen, the protagonist, is not your typical heroine. She is an introvert, and maybe even a little flaky, but really finds herself and her strength of self as the story progres
Steve Wilson
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book received through Goodreads giveaways.

I generally do not read much in the way of YA fantasy works but did find that I enjoyed this first book of a trilogy set in Australia.

What most pleased meet about this book was the way he author weaved elements of both mystery and horror throughout-the latter achieved without the use of graphic detail. Similarly, the romance elements were handled in in a restrained may and would be appropriate for a younger reading audience.

While at times the story mov
Robert Thomas
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dark Confluence is a truly magical tale. Rosemary's voice is energetic and draws the reader into a mystical world that inexplicably collides with the world of mortals. The writing is strong and easily flows allowing the story to develop without getting lost in the words. The story kept me wondering how things would develop, always the sign of a good read.
Greg Jolley
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting and magical story, rich with interesting characters. A story that moves at a quick pace with sparks of color and details.

Brandon Jones
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
It was okay, not awesome, but not bad. it was a little too youth oriented for me even though the heroine is a mature woman.
Joey
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Its ok.
Rosemary Fryth
May 04, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my own published novel. Feel free to read and review it.
Janet Lapierre
Sep 07, 2015
Silla
Dec 27, 2013
Jevon
rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2016
Isabelle
Oct 31, 2012
  • The Keeper and the Rune Stone (The Black Ledge Series, #1)
  • The Protectors Christmas Box Set
  • Something Witchy (Mystics & Mayhem #1)
  • Ascendancy (The Godswar Saga, #1)
  • Delusions of Grandeur
  • Dark Entry
  • My Future Husband
  • Stone of Destiny
  • Smitten (Zerrin, #1)
  • Paranormal Realities (A Paranormal Romantic Suspense Box Set)
  • The Barbarian's Mistress
  • Be There Now: Travel Stories from Around the World
  • Walk the Right Road Box Set
  • Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)
Rosemary Fryth: Australian Independent author, poet, historian, sculptor and bookworm.

Current eBooks available to buy:

The heroic, epic fantasy trilogy 'Riothamus':
'Arantur'
'The High King'
'Warriormage'

The Australian contemporary dark fantasy trilogy 'The Darkening':
'Dark Confluence'
'Dark Destination'
'Dark Destiny'

Contemporary dark fantasy/paranormal romance/erotica (stand-alone novella):
'The Dresse

The Darkening (3 books)
  • Dark Destination (The Darkening, #2)
  • Dark Destiny (The Darkening, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Chronicles, #1)
  • 14
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99