Start by marking “The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)

The Uninvited Guest

(Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #2)

It is the winter of 1143 and all is not well in the court of Owain, King of north Wales. His future in-laws are untrustworthy, the Norman lords on his eastern border are restless, and among his wedding guests lurks a cold-blooded killer. Gareth and Gwen have marriage plans of their own, but their love will have to wait while the pair race to separate truth from lies, frien ...more
Published February 18th 2012 by The Morgan-Stanwood Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Uninvited Guest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uninvited Guest

The Bride by Julie GarwoodA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtThe Secret by Julie GarwoodRansom by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Best Medieval Romance Novels
529 books — 1,032 voters
Ruby Red by Kerstin GierSapphire Blue by Kerstin GierEmerald Green by Kerstin GierThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeThe Mad Earl's Bride by Loretta Chase
"Gwen"
138 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)
Cora Lee
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good mystery, wonderful characters. And now I have a crush on this fictional version of Hywel ap Owain Gwynedd :-)
Bethany Swafford
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
On the eve of King Owain's wedding to Cristina, there is an assassination attempt thwarted by Gareth. It's up to this knight and his soon to be wife, Gwen, to figure the plot out as murder and vanishing suspects cause chaos in Aber.

Sometimes, sequels can feel forced and give a different feel than the first. Not so with this one! It builds on the world the author had built up in the first book and expands it. The characters are the ones we came to know before, and the mystery set before them is o
Linda
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Gwen & Gareth mystery. This one is more complicated yet, and keeps you guessing to the end. And there are two weddings amidst all of the treason and betrayals. ...more
Beth Amy
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Speaking of medieval mysteries...

This one takes place in roughly the same era as the Brother Cadfael mysteries. It would have been much harder for me to decipher the Norman side of their internal conflict without the combination of descriptions from bith series of books.
I prefer this one, though. For one thing, it's in Wales that the action occurs. For another, there is a woman who is doing the detecting here, not just men.
The story revolves around am attempted murder of the King, and on the he
Ian D.
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining continuation of the series

I enjoyed the first story in this series, and this second one keeps up the standards! Not only does Ms Woodbury give us a rich cast of characters, we’re in a medieval castle in Wales for a royal wedding, with an attempted murder and two bodies found in unexpected places.

There’s enough detail to give us an impression of some aspects of life at the time, some which seem familiar and others pretty alien. We have the mystery of the murders being investigated an
Ann Noell
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Grand Adventure did not disappoint! The twists and turns kept me enthralled and holding my breath.

Sarah Woodbury takes you back and opens up the Medieval world of Europe. Interesting, dangerous, and a wonderful place to visit, but I would not like to live there!

In my fantasy I think I could try for the love of a Noble Knight like Gareth, but alas I am no Gwen and I am sure to disappoint the Noble Knight.

I did get my HEA ending with the enchanting wedding of Gareth and Gwen. For some stran
Deb
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Twelfth century Wales is a lace of rivalries, extended families, political plots and chivalry. When the bodies start piling up the day before King Owain's wedding, Gareth & Gwen move into action. While Gareth follows a boy who tried to assassinate Owain, Gwen interviews everybody in the castle. As was true with the first book in this series, the denouement is less important than the search. The number of potential plotters is great and winter is cold in ales, but Gareth and Gwen prevail in time ...more
Tracey
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Uninvited Guest

On the eve of the King's marriage to Cristina Gareth stops an assassin. But then two people are found murdered and Gareth and Gwen find themselves trying to solve the mystery.
Yet again Sarah Woodbury has written a book which is action packed from the start. The characters of Gareth and Gwen are stronger than in the first book, and the story is fast paced.
Highly recommended.
Meredith
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good follow up book. I like that there is a romantic relationship with main characters but that isn’t much of the story. Trysts and deceit (usual castle stuff) are written about so the author isn’t prude, but the writing is not sexual or even sensual or flowery, these are mysteries not romance novels.
Sian Iola Percival
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really love this series of books, the mystery aspects of the story is done really well with clues revealed here and there, including a few red herrings. All the additional information about life in medieval Wales and England is amazing to learn.
Ann Parker Burgess
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful story.

I have become a big fan of Sarah Woodbury and her stories of Gareth, Gwen and Hywel. I love the characters and setting. Her stories take you back into a time and opens up a world that time forgot. Great job Sarah.
Linda J Dungan
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great

This was a great clean story with a mixture of murder and intrigue. Sarah always writes great historical novels ! And her interviews on her website adds more depth to her stories.
Shannon
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun follow up to the previous book. It’s a nice easy read with a neat mystery to solve. Knowledge of medieval Wales is not necessary, but it would be a little helpful to understand the places and people mentioned.
Barbara Carter
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adventures abound!

Gwen & Gareth set out to solve mysteries that wrap you up in their intensity, intrigue & involvement. Fun and frequent twists and turns keep you riveted to the pages. Enjoy!
Dinnl
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable. Written in a light way with enough historical information to set the scene. I will continue to read this series.
Susan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
1143 and finally King Owain is to marry. If only the curse could be lifted and a killer found. Gareth and Gwen with the help of Prince Hywel investigate.
Enjoyable, well-written story.
Peggy
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
boring romance and mystery
Pat Welte
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the second book in this series. It continued on with the story and there were travels and suspense and murder along with romance.
Lynne McLaughlin
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good characters and good plot - not too convoluted.
Nadishka Aloysius
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first one
Leone
Great story, interesting characters, especially Gwen. The murders so far seem to be all about greed, envy and money. Hopefully that will change in the next instalment.
Kelly Martin
This is the second book in this series and I enjoyed it more than the first. Good characters and action with good history.
LuAnn Sulllivan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I enjoyed reading this story because I have always been interested in that era of Kong’s and knights. Great read
Carolina
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
It was cute. A good book to read or listen to while on a long drive.
Jerry D.
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read

This 2md in the series was verily similar to the first, but I will try another of this author's series.
Patricia
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I totally did not see the villain. I thought I knew but I was wrong. Very interesting story!
Jonelle
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good story line set in historical Wales
Paula Globerman
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
fun series. Easy read. Names can be a bit of a challenge.
Lia Patterson
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Another fun read. Unfortunately I guessed the identity of the villain long before the hero and heroine did, so the suspense was mainly to find out whether I was right and how long it would take them to find out. I've probably read too many murder mysteries!

One anachronism caught my eye though: the casual use of paper for drawing sketches, three hundred years before the first paper mill was set up in England (paper was invented by the Chinese, then travelled west with the Arab conquest, but took
Voirrey
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fascinating book by Sarah Woodbury. We see that there have been consequences from the things Gwen learnt from Prince Hywel in the first book - always a good thing that actions or discoveries in one book of a series are not ignored in the next one!

The detective threesome have some challenges here - not the least of which is to get the king married to Cristina. And we meet new, believable, characters both good and bad who I now expect to turn up in a subsequent book at some stage, somethin

• The Corpse at Windsor Bridge (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #10)
  • Death in Delft
  • The Burned Man (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #9)
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • A Realm at Stake (The Drinnglennin Chronicles #2)
  • Hostage to Fortune (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #4)
  • Over The Wall (Warrior Druid of Britain #2.5)
  • Bindings of Peril (The Drinnglennin Chronicles #3)
  • Summer of the Big Bachi (Mas Arai, #1)
  • Deep Water: A Matthew Cordwainer Medieval Mystery (Matthew Cordwainer Medieval Mysteries Book 10)
  • The Promise of Pain (Thomas Berrington #7)
  • Forest of Souls (Ela of Salisbury Medieval Mysteries, #4)
  • Season of the Fox (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #2)
  • Untrue till Death
  • The Final Toll (Servant of the Crown #4)
  • The Message of Blood (Thomas Berrington #8)
  • Cathedral of Bones (Ela of Salisbury Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • Portents of Chaos (The Drinnglennin Chronicles #1)
With over a million books sold to date, Sarah Woodbury is the author of more than forty novels, all set in medieval Wales. Although an anthropologist by training, and then a full-time homeschooling mom for twenty years, she began writing fiction when the stories in her head overflowed and demanded that she let them out. While her ancestry is Welsh, she only visited Wales for the first time at univ ...more

Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • The Fourth Horseman (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #3)
  • The Fallen Princess (A Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery)
  • The Unlikely Spy (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #5)
  • The Lost Brother (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #6)
  • The Renegade Merchant (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #7)
  • The Unexpected Ally (A Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 8)
  • The Worthy Soldier (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #9)
  • The Favored Son (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #10)
  • The Viking Prince (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries. #11)

News & Interviews