Start by marking “The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)

The Uninvited Guest

(Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #2)

It is the winter of 1143 and all is not well in the court of Owain, King of north Wales. His future in-laws are untrustworthy, the Norman lords on his eastern border are restless, and among his wedding guests lurks a cold-blooded killer. Gareth and Gwen have marriage plans of their own, but their love will have to wait while the pair race to separate truth from lies, frien ...more
Published February 18th 2012 by The Morgan-Stanwood Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Uninvited Guest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uninvited Guest

The Bride by Julie GarwoodA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtThe Secret by Julie GarwoodRansom by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Best Medieval Romance Novels
608 books — 1,083 voters
Ruby Red by Kerstin GierSapphire Blue by Kerstin GierEmerald Green by Kerstin GierThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeThe Proposal by Mary Balogh
"Gwen"
142 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)
Cora Lee
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good mystery, wonderful characters. And now I have a crush on this fictional version of Hywel ap Owain Gwynedd :-)
Bethany Swafford
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
On the eve of King Owain's wedding to Cristina, there is an assassination attempt thwarted by Gareth. It's up to this knight and his soon to be wife, Gwen, to figure the plot out as murder and vanishing suspects cause chaos in Aber.

Sometimes, sequels can feel forced and give a different feel than the first. Not so with this one! It builds on the world the author had built up in the first book and expands it. The characters are the ones we came to know before, and the mystery set before them is o
Petra
May 22, 2022 rated it really liked it
Another good mystery. I like how this series builds on the previous book. It has character development, friendships, alliances and growth of experiences through Life.

This mystery was an interesting continuation of this series. King Owain is about to be married but crimes and murder attempts curse the upcoming nuptials.

I enjoyed the different elements of this story and how they were revealed and came together. As the story advances and the characters grow on me, each book becomes more interesti
Linda
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Gwen & Gareth mystery. This one is more complicated yet, and keeps you guessing to the end. And there are two weddings amidst all of the treason and betrayals.
Beth
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Speaking of medieval mysteries...

This one takes place in roughly the same era as the Brother Cadfael mysteries. It would have been much harder for me to decipher the Norman side of their internal conflict without the combination of descriptions from bith series of books.
I prefer this one, though. For one thing, it's in Wales that the action occurs. For another, there is a woman who is doing the detecting here, not just men.
The story revolves around am attempted murder of the King, and on the he
Ian D.
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining continuation of the series

I enjoyed the first story in this series, and this second one keeps up the standards! Not only does Ms Woodbury give us a rich cast of characters, we’re in a medieval castle in Wales for a royal wedding, with an attempted murder and two bodies found in unexpected places.

There’s enough detail to give us an impression of some aspects of life at the time, some which seem familiar and others pretty alien. We have the mystery of the murders being investigated an
Ann Noell
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Grand Adventure did not disappoint! The twists and turns kept me enthralled and holding my breath.

Sarah Woodbury takes you back and opens up the Medieval world of Europe. Interesting, dangerous, and a wonderful place to visit, but I would not like to live there!

In my fantasy I think I could try for the love of a Noble Knight like Gareth, but alas I am no Gwen and I am sure to disappoint the Noble Knight.

I did get my HEA ending with the enchanting wedding of Gareth and Gwen. For some stran
Deb
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Twelfth century Wales is a lace of rivalries, extended families, political plots and chivalry. When the bodies start piling up the day before King Owain's wedding, Gareth & Gwen move into action. While Gareth follows a boy who tried to assassinate Owain, Gwen interviews everybody in the castle. As was true with the first book in this series, the denouement is less important than the search. The number of potential plotters is great and winter is cold in ales, but Gareth and Gwen prevail in time ...more
Tracey
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Uninvited Guest

On the eve of the King's marriage to Cristina Gareth stops an assassin. But then two people are found murdered and Gareth and Gwen find themselves trying to solve the mystery.
Yet again Sarah Woodbury has written a book which is action packed from the start. The characters of Gareth and Gwen are stronger than in the first book, and the story is fast paced.
Highly recommended.
Meredith
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good follow up book. I like that there is a romantic relationship with main characters but that isn’t much of the story. Trysts and deceit (usual castle stuff) are written about so the author isn’t prude, but the writing is not sexual or even sensual or flowery, these are mysteries not romance novels.
peggy griffith
Apr 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Guest

I loved the action, mystery, and the love story that ms.Woodbury presented. It's everything I had hoped for in this series. And now comes book number three .....staring
me in the face...begging to be read. It is worth anyone's to take the time to read this series.....always/p griffith
Becca Owen
Nov 03, 2022 rated it really liked it
Sian Iola Percival
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really love this series of books, the mystery aspects of the story is done really well with clues revealed here and there, including a few red herrings. All the additional information about life in medieval Wales and England is amazing to learn.
Ann Parker Burgess
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful story.

I have become a big fan of Sarah Woodbury and her stories of Gareth, Gwen and Hywel. I love the characters and setting. Her stories take you back into a time and opens up a world that time forgot. Great job Sarah.
Linda J Dungan
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great

This was a great clean story with a mixture of murder and intrigue. Sarah always writes great historical novels ! And her interviews on her website adds more depth to her stories.
Shannon
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun follow up to the previous book. It’s a nice easy read with a neat mystery to solve. Knowledge of medieval Wales is not necessary, but it would be a little helpful to understand the places and people mentioned.
Barbara Carter
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adventures abound!

Gwen & Gareth set out to solve mysteries that wrap you up in their intensity, intrigue & involvement. Fun and frequent twists and turns keep you riveted to the pages. Enjoy!
Abby
Jul 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mystery, Murder and Marriage

Gareth and Gwen are once again pulled into a murder mystery. Will King Owain get married? Who is trying to kill him and why? Will Gareth live to attend *his* own wedding? Read to find out.

On to the next book in the series...
Ike Rose-author
Aug 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Excellent sequel

I loved the first book of the sedries, , as well as the sample of this book..
Well crafted,, true to the period (the same time as the Brother Cadfael mysteries) and with a cinematic presentation.
Miki
Oct 10, 2022 rated it it was ok
I don't think I've ever read a book that has lesser sense of time and place than this one. With very little effort, the reader could place this story in any period in history. Which, by the way, is not a good thing. ...more
Michele Buhler
Oct 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I read the first book in this series and had to read the second one. Sarah Woodbury has become one of my favorite authors now. Her mysteries have great characters and plots. She reminds me of Agatha Christie with her twists and turns. It is a keep your seat and not able to put it down book. If you love mysteries, then you will have to read this series.
Dinnl
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable. Written in a light way with enough historical information to set the scene. I will continue to read this series.
Susan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
1143 and finally King Owain is to marry. If only the curse could be lifted and a killer found. Gareth and Gwen with the help of Prince Hywel investigate.
Enjoyable, well-written story.
Peggy
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
boring romance and mystery
Pat Welte
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the second book in this series. It continued on with the story and there were travels and suspense and murder along with romance.
Lynne McLaughlin
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good characters and good plot - not too convoluted.
Nadishka Aloysius
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first one
Leone
Great story, interesting characters, especially Gwen. The murders so far seem to be all about greed, envy and money. Hopefully that will change in the next instalment.
Kelly Martin
This is the second book in this series and I enjoyed it more than the first. Good characters and action with good history.
LuAnn Sulllivan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I enjoyed reading this story because I have always been interested in that era of Kong’s and knights. Great read
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Stallions of Woodstock (Domesday, #6)
  • The Lions of the North (Domesday, #4)
  • Dishonour and Obey (Master Mercurius Mysteries, #3)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday #2)
  • The Serpents Of Harbledown (Domesday, #5)
  • The Dragons of Archenfield (Domesday #3)
  • The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1)
  • Lady Odelia's Secret (Scott-De Quincy Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder in the Eternal City (Captain Lacey #16)
  • The Devil's Seal (Sister Fidelma, #25)
  • A Curious Death (Stephen Attebrook Mystery, #12)
  • By Blood and Magic (The Dragon Portal #2)
  • The Jack Lockwood Diaries (Jack Lockwood Mystery Series Book 4)
  • The Riverwoman's Dragon (Owen Archer #13)
  • The Captive Throne (Legends of Abreia, #4)
  • Left to Ruin (Adele Sharp #16)
  • The Wheel (Gavin Rownt Medieval Mystery #7)
  • Murder in Half Moon Street (Redmond and Haze #8)
With over a million books sold to date, Sarah Woodbury is the author of more than forty novels, all set in medieval Wales. Although an anthropologist by training, and then a full-time homeschooling mom for twenty years, she began writing fiction when the stories in her head overflowed and demanded that she let them out. While her ancestry is Welsh, she only visited Wales for the first time at univ ...more

Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • The Fourth Horseman (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #3)
  • The Fallen Princess (A Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery)
  • The Unlikely Spy (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #5)
  • The Lost Brother (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #6)
  • The Renegade Merchant (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #7)
  • The Unexpected Ally (A Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 8)
  • The Worthy Soldier (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #9)
  • The Favored Son (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #10)
  • The Viking Prince (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries. #11)

News & Interviews

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we're always on alert for any shifts in readerly attention that we can spot. Recently we've noticed a...
“Admittedly, from her observations, Cristina, King Owain’s” 0 likes