Start by marking “Transcend” as Want to Read:
Transcend

Transcend

***OUT OF PRINT EDITION***
Hardcover, Special Edition, 314 pages
Published September 18th 2012 by Compass Press (first published September 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Transcend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transcend

Start your review of Transcend
Christine Fonseca
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am so excited to share this one with all of you! It is by far the hardest thing I've ever written. I've taken a different spin on a familiar tale, hopefully delivering something that will leave you surprised, satisfied and maybe a little creeped out!

Sylvia
Where do I begin? Or better still, how do I go about even trying to write a review for a book that is a masterpiece? It would be like trying to describe the feeling you would get standing under the glorious roof of the Sistine Chapel. There really are no words that would justify that. This is exactly how I am feeling now *takes deep breathe to calm my beating heart* I am floored. I am completely and utterly blown away and I really must say that this is pure artistry at it's best. Christine Fonse ...more
Elle (Ligia)
I honestly don’t know where to begin, I knew when I finished reading it over a week ago that this was going to be a hard review to write, and I was right, I’m still somewhat overwhelmed. Just thinking about Ien makes me go:

I know I had been eagerly waiting to read this book for months, and though I’m not completely sure just what I expected, I’m so very happy to say that I was not disappointed, not in the slightest. Not even a little bit.

I fell in love with the cover instantly, and after reading
Zuleeza
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

The pre-review I love so much is in the spoiler tag at the bottom of this review.

Easy 5-stars, folks...easy 5-stars. This book is literally a drug.

For start, I read Dies Irae and Lacrimosa, two of Christine's other works and did like them. But I felt that sometimes the narration was too grandiose. But that kind of narration on Transcend...

...fits perfectly. Probably because I'd say that this is more of a historical fiction than a young adult.

Okay,
Soumi
“My thoughts are quiet, but not calm. There is a terror on the edge of the silence, a terror fed by my burning flesh and the stench of death.”

A life changing accident and deformity toss seventeen years old Ien to a sanatorium to die. Abandoned by those he loves, Ien plans for revenge and claim the girl he loves, beautiful violin-prodigy, Kiera McDougal. Driven by madness and revenge, Ien slowly realise he a cost to pay for vengeance, the price is his own sanity.

Author Christine Fonseca break
Heather McCorkle
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am at a loss of words as to how much I love this story. This is so powerful, so deep, and dark. It took me on an amazing journey into places most people fear to go, pulling me along, leaving me breathless. Not for the faint of heart. Black Swan meets Phantom of the Opera in this breathtaking, psychological thriller. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I would like to thank the author, Christine Fonseca, for providing me with an ARC copy of this book to read and give an honest review. I am honored that she trusted me to read and review this totally different and new story.

Blurb from Goodreads:

All seventeen-year-old composer Ien Montgomery desires is an escape from his family's rigid expectations for his life; someone to inspire his music. When he meets a beautiful violin-prodigy, Kiera McDougal, his life music takes on new life. With her, he
Erin
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was warned before reading Transcend that it was not going to be easy on the emotions, and wow was that the truth!! This story was such a creepy, heart-wrenching, unforgiving tale of torment. It grips you from the very first page and never lets go, planting a seed in your mind that slowly drives you to the brink of madness. Bravo to Christine Fonseca for this outstanding work, and for absolutely taking me by surprise and flooring me with a story so compelling that it's guaranteed to captivate a ...more
Jen*The Geeky Book Gal*
I won this book from the Author, Christine Fonseca in her Transcend giveaway a few months ago and had been anxiously awaiting its arrival. When I saw the email from Christine yesterday afternoon I was almost giddy and started it right away.

The Goodreads summary describes Transcend as:
Adriana

Omg too overwhelmed by this book Damm how am I supposed to start another book after this ;(

Firstly i would like to thank the amazing and gifted author Christine Fonseca for giving me the honour of reading and reviewing this phenomenal book.

This books was nothing like i expected, and it was like nothing i have ever read and i loved it so much there are so many words i can use to describe this book WOW, MASTERPIECE, SUPEREB, WORK OF ART, ONE OF A KIND, those type of words come to mind.

I loved Ch
Kait
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm someone who reads pretty quickly, but I really savored Transcend. I spent more time thinking about what I was reading and what was to come.

"Will I become the thing I fear the most of all?"

Ien, a seventeen year old musical composer is overwhelmed by pressure from his family. He is ready to begin his life with his musical partner and love, Kiera, until horrible circumstances rip them from each other. Ien is sent to die at a sanatorium where he begins to plot revenge against the people who
Ali Cross
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Transcend is unlike any other book you have read. When was the last time you read about a boy, a fractured boy, and the love of his life? The love he would sacrifice everything for--including his sanity?

I could not put Transcend down. Its dark and twisty curves kept me too engrossed, too enthralled with what would happen, too determined to uncover the truth of Ien's world to think about anything real-life.

The writing is lyrical, beautiful. The story is disturbing and intense and utterly unique--
Michelle McLean
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This Phantom of the Opera-inspired tale is hauntingly dark and achingly beautiful, a story of love, loss, and obsession set against the decadent backdrop of historic New York that sucked me in and wouldn’t let go, from the first page until long after I’d finished. Ien still haunts my dreams…
Belkis
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My heart is bleeding and battered from the couple of days I spent agonizing while reading this hauntingly beautifully written tale of longing, love, and despair. I have to admit that this is not a book I would've normally chosen to read if it were not for the accolades and ravings of many fellow readers over the brilliance of this harrowing story. So I stepped outside my comfort zone and begged Christine for the opportunity to read and review this marvelous book of hers. I can't express the leve ...more
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not fans of romance, but fans of dark, uncomfortable stories
This wasn't my kind of book, which I would have known if I had looked into it further before adding it to my TBR. But I knew most of my GR friends loved Christine Fonseca's Requiem series. I hadnt read it because I am not a fan of angels. But I saw that this was a historical and that's all I needed to know before I added it. I love historicals. But perhaps I should have still read a review or two before deciding. I'll just say right now that this is not a romance.

I am not a fan of heavy reads, a
Sara
Wow!
Not sure exactly what I expected, but Transcend exceeded all expectations! Thank you, Christine, for offering this book for a review. I am not even sure what to write. I have loved all of your books, and have raced through them all. This was no exception!

This book is about Ien. He is one of the most tortured, disillusioned, heart breaking characters I have read about. Christine keeps you guessing until the end about what is real and what isn't. I could not help feeling gut-wrenching heartach
Tiffany Holme
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, wish-list
hose of you that have followed me for awhile will know that I am a serious Christine Fonseca fan girl. This started with Lacrimosa but has continued on with every other thing I have picked up of hers. This book was no exception but I am at a loss for words with it. Seeing I got so invested both mentally and emotionally I figured that pouring it into a review would be no problem. Problem is everything just wont come out the way I want it to. This beautiful and dark novel is escaping all proper de ...more
Ann Marie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not just a novel, but a piece of fine art. I can't even describe the beauty of the words that Christine Fonseca has placed on the pages of Transcend. Such a moving story about love, loss and absolute madness that will keep you turning pages into the wee hours of the morning. Her words are poetic and flow so seemingly off the page. Her prose is reminiscent of the classic literature of my youth and I believe, without a doubt, that this book could well match them. Because it is written in a more co ...more
Nickle Love
What a story! I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when I decided that I want to read this. It is told in Ien's POV and all he could think about was Kiera and their future together. The accident really broke him, physically and emotionally, at some point during his recovery, he felt like he was losing his sanity too. All he wanted was to be with Kiera, far away from his parents who controlled his life.

Each chapter dwells in Ien's thoughts and his madness, wallowing in sorrow and defeat. When he
LiarLiar
im not a big fan of classics .
But GOD !! christine fonseca Created a Classic that feels
like it was a Modern classic .
love it .

So Ien a 17 yr.old alive survive the fire and things like that
love this girl Kiera and he blames his Mother
for seperating them or against their relationship .

So Ien for the love of his life do whatever it takes
to be with kiera even though he will kill somebody to be with her .
Ien got this Voices in his head . but for me it is like good to bad conscience .

This is dark ,de
Kelly Hashway
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, I read the blurb for this and knew I had to read the book. I love Phantom of the Opera. Love it! So Transcend had me right there. Well, the main character Ien is desperately in love with Kiera. He can't think of much else and wants to propose, even though he's only seventeen and his parents don't approve. But a horrible fire leaves him disfigured and his parents tell the world he's dead.

Sent to die in a sanitarium, Ien can only think of Kiera and getting her back. He begins to see and hear
Kel (Faerie-bookworm)
OMG....Wow....what a ride...

I was pulled in right from the start. Wow... I'm so shocked and still reeling from the story. I'm still trying to figure out what really happened and what was all in Ien's mind. Such a haunting story. Kudos to Christine Fonseca for writing this beautifully evocative tale. Wow...still trying to wrap my head around it.
Nereid
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for an honest review by the author and I am truly grateful.
Where do I start, if I could I would give this book 6 stars as I have never experienced such a roller coaster ride of tumultuous emotions before. Love is such a simple word yet it can be twisted and distorted by a warped mind to resemble something that is dark and menacing void of all light and warmth. Ien is seventeen and a composer who is frustrated by his strict parents who demand so much from him and be
Ari
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted @ Black Lilies Are Deadly

Christine Fonseca is a gifted writer. It doesn’t matter what kind of story she’s telling, she always manages to hook me and get me completely immersed in it. Transcend was not the exception to this. Transcend is a well written, well thought out story which I enjoyed, even if it left me emotionally drained by the time I finished the book.

Ien is a very troubled young man and I had no idea just how deep it went until I started going deeper into the story.
Lily at Bookluvrs Haven
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review originally featured on Bookluvrs Haven

(Weary Sigh)

This book left me feeling exhausted and utterly ragged.

First - I barely slept while trying to finish this novel. My fault... No! Christine Fonseca's fault! I just couldn't put this down!

Second - There was so much angst in this novel and I had a really hard time knowing what was truth and what wasn't...

But then, neither did our character. Madness must be exhausting...

The book synopsis indicates this story was inspired by Phantom of the Ope
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

A beautifully dark and haunting tale of love, betrayal, revenge and obsession.

The opening chapter of this book blew me away. It was riddled with deep, dark, and powerful emotion.

My heart immediately felt for the narrator and I didn't even know who he was yet. I didn't even know his story and I barely knew his name.

But I felt his love, his despair. And I felt his pain, his anguish. And his horror.

To say this story was a strong one would be an understatement. To say it was powerful isn't
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
This book was absolutely amazing, I have long been a fan of the story of The Phantom Of The Opera, I saw the movie thirteen times at the cinema, so when I found out that this book was inspired by the story I hurriedly signed up for the blog tour, and boy I was not disappointed!
The twists and turns throughout this book had me sitting there at the end with my jaw dropped, I didn't expect the end and it was certainly a surprise.
Ien comes from a rich family, he's expected to take over the family bus
Jess(ToTheMoonAndBackReviews)
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it

I really looked foreword to reading this book, a musician and artist by nature I have seen or played the music of the Phantom of the Opera so there was no doubt in my mind that this book would be a good one.

I loved the way we got to go into Ien's thoughts as he struggles to differentiate between what is real and what his mind makes up for him. This book is a very dark tale with just about everything you can imagine. This book will pull at your heart string's and is written so well it is somewha
Jackie
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, favorites
Shelly Smith
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
Transcend is unlike anything I have ever read. It's a YA psychological thriller that gently lead me down a dark and disturbing path until I found myself questioning my own sanity. Christine Fonseca brilliantly develops awareness and empathy in her readers by allowing them to view the world through Ien's eyes. Thank you Christine for giving me a tragically beautiful story that I could not put down and for forcing me to view the world from a different perspective.

« previous 1 3 4 next »
Paranormal and Ho...: 10 review copies of TRANSCEND 10 44 Jul 27, 2013 02:22AM
Q&A with Christin...: EXCLUSIVE SIGNED/NUMBERED HARDBACK 8 10 Nov 05, 2012 10:51PM
Q&A with Christin...: Announcing the Crossroads Paranormal Tour Event 1 3 Oct 21, 2012 01:01AM
Q&A with Christin...: Blog Tour and giveaways! 8 11 Oct 15, 2012 05:30AM
Q&A with Christin...: Ahhhhh! 2 4 Oct 04, 2012 09:33PM
Q&A with Christin...: #TranscendParty 12 8 Sep 25, 2012 06:14PM
A Place Called Dr...: Check out Transcend, by Christine Fonseca :) 1 4 Sep 24, 2012 09:12PM

• The Noble Smuggler
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • A Proper Charade
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • Making Faces
  • A Bride Most Begrudging
  • Marriage for One
  • Where the Stars Meet the Sea
  • Cruel Beauty
  • Taken By the Duke (The Pleasure Wars, #1)
  • Her Forbidden Hero (The Hero, #1)
  • The Major's Faux Fiancee (The Dukes of War, #4)
  • Beast
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
  • East (East, #1)
  • Breakfast of Champions
  • One Winter with a Baron (The Heart of a Duke, #12)
  • Seduced By a Lady's Heart (Lords of Honor #1)
Award-winning and critically-acclaimed author of fiction and non-fiction. Lover of books, lattes, and family. Passionate about humanity. Critically-acclaimed titles include Transcend, The Requiem Series, and The Solomon Experiment series, and Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students, second edition.

When Christine isn’t writing a book, she can be found sipping too many skinny vanilla lattes next to a