Start by marking “Peril” as Want to Read:
Peril

Peril

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A moment of madness. His choices. Their lives.

PERIL is the first of the Ger Mayes crime series. Ger doesn't stand out from the crowd and life is passing him by, until he kills a mugger and is blackmailed by a Romanian crime gang. In a thrilling race to cast off their net, Ger becomes more entangled with disastrous consequences for those he loves.

Contemporary crime fiction
Published April 5th 2012 by Marble City Publishing (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Peril, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peril

John Gaynard
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In line with my reviewing policy of only giving a write-up to books I have enjoyed, I now have great pleasure in making a few comments on Ruby Barnes's Peril, a novel which could also have been titled, "The Power of Positive Thinking for Feckless Scots Bent on Raising Levels of Dissatisfaction Among Irish Wives, Mistresses, Relatives, Beggars and Rail Customers Who Have the Temerity to Make Complaints".

Ger Mayes is a loveable ne'er do well from North of that Border uniting Scotland and England.
Vintage Science Fiction Month--January The Haunted Reading Room
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: modern suspense readers
4 Stars
Gerard is finding himself in a heap of trouble. A drunken evening, and he gets confused about which way is home. The river looks different, odd even-is he in the right place? Then he’s attacked by, of all things, a mugger-and while trying to defend himself, remembers that someone else had been beaten to death in that area earlier. Looks like he could well be the next victim! This mugger is not out for just what’s in that wallet (good thing, cause Gerard’s is empty); looks like he’s out fo
Cindy C Bennett
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the mark of a truly great author when he can create a character that is not only flawed, but is downright unlikeable - and yet you find yourself rooting for him, sympathizing with him, and hoping he'll come out on top. Ruby Barnes has created such a character in Ger Mayes.

It's almost impossible to tell you much about the story without giving it away, just suffice it to say you must read Ger's story. This is a man who can't make a good decision, ever, and doesn't seem to learn from his mist
Kath Middleton
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gerard (call me Ger) Mayes fancies himself with the ladies; in fact he embarks upon an affair with his wife's best friend. In a drunken brawl, he kills a Romanian beggar and the man's twin brother demands money in recompense. He also demands an illegal act from Ger, or he will supply evidence of the killing to the Garda. Ger is, to my mind, an unpleasant, selfish and amoral individual but his tale is compelling reading.

The story is told as a first person narrative, mainly by Ger, though occasion
J.J. Toner
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PERIL by Ruby Barnes

An engaging romp through Dublin (mostly) in the company of a young(-ish) man called Ger Mayes with the morals of a stray mongrel and a serious drink habit. Forced to commit an unspeakable crime, he is soon in thrall to a community of blackmailers. He turns to an old, rich friend for help. Unfortunately, his friend’s moral compass is even more at sea than his own and the two of them get deeper and deeper into the mire as they attempt to extricate themselves and line their pock
Michael Wayne
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ger Mayes is despicable, so despicable that you can't help but to pay attention to his every move.
Well done Mr. Barnes
Shelly
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like a lot of other reviewers have noted, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading a story about a main character who is not the most likable of people, a rather self-centered and self-serving fellow. But the writing is very well done, the story is entertaining and I couldn't wait to find out if comeuppance was going to occur or not. You'll have to read it yourself to find out.
Tina
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For more reviews, visit The Book Landers

Title: Peril

Author: Ruby Barnes

Genre: thriller

Review:

Ger Mayes is by no means an honest man. But he still manages to stay on the right side of the law…until one fateful night when he accidently beats a man to death while drunk. He quickly realizes he’s in deep water and attempts to hide the evidence—ditch the murder weapon (a pipe), chuck the body into the river, and all that fun stuff. And so he proceeds with life, the crime undiscovered and his guilt sh
TAMMY CUEVAS
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gerard Mayes is a terrible person in a terrible mess. He's on the verge of being fired and really doesn't care; he's really just counting the days until Aunt Mary dies and leaves his wife a sizeable inheritance; and he's playing a balancing act with his wife, mistress, and possible future mistress. And now, he's being blackmailed by a gang of drug dealers. And the fun is just beginning...

In Ruby Barnes' novel "Peril", he has created a character who most readers will love to hate. Gerard is every
Sally
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly delightful! I first read an unrelated short story by Ruby Barnes. It had promise, but didn’t seem quite finished. It left me hanging, wishing for just a bit more. Well, both Peril and its sequel, Getting Out of Dodge, give a bit more and then some.

At the beginning of Peril, Ger – our hero? – says: “When I’m finished you will likely have no respect for me. What not to do with your life by Gerard Mayes. There will be a warm feeling that it happened to me, not you, and that I deserved
Writers and Readers : Giveaway of Peril by Ruby Barnes 1 5 May 08, 2012 03:33AM
  • Spirit Falls
  • Commune of Women
  • Irrefutable
  • Killing Faith (Gabriel de Sade, #1)
  • House Report
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • The Journey Home
  • The Normans: From Raiders to Kings
  • The Man of Their Lives
  • Scalpel
  • Something For The Weekend
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • The Socratic Dialogues
  • Effected Intent
  • Down These Green Streets: Irish Crime Writing in the 21st Century
  • Crime in the Community (Pitkirtly Mysteries #1)
  • One September Morning
  • Highway to Vengeance: A Thomas Highway Novel
I'm an author and a reader. I write dark thrillers - Peril, The Baptist, The Crucible - and read thrillers and literary fiction.

I've pedalled the pushbike of life until the chain fell off. Now living in rural Ireland where the natives are friendly and the weather atrocious, I write crime fiction and thrillers.

Ruby's News is my mail list with freebies, pre-release info and other updates. As a welco
More about Ruby Barnes...