Start by marking “Peril” as Want to Read:
Peril

Peril

A moment of madness. His choices. Their lives.

PERIL is the first of the Ger Mayes crime series. Ger doesn't stand out from the crowd and life is passing him by, until he kills a mugger and is blackmailed by a Romanian crime gang. In a thrilling race to cast off their net, Ger becomes more entangled with disastrous consequences for those he loves.

Contemporary crime fiction
Published April 5th 2012 by Marble City Publishing (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Peril, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peril

Start your review of Peril
John Gaynard
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In line with my reviewing policy of only giving a write-up to books I have enjoyed, I now have great pleasure in making a few comments on Ruby Barnes's Peril, a novel which could also have been titled, "The Power of Positive Thinking for Feckless Scots Bent on Raising Levels of Dissatisfaction Among Irish Wives, Mistresses, Relatives, Beggars and Rail Customers Who Have the Temerity to Make Complaints".

Ger Mayes is a loveable ne'er do well from North of that Border uniting Scotland and England.
 Reading Reindeer
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: modern suspense readers
4 Stars
Gerard is finding himself in a heap of trouble. A drunken evening, and he gets confused about which way is home. The river looks different, odd even-is he in the right place? Then he’s attacked by, of all things, a mugger-and while trying to defend himself, remembers that someone else had been beaten to death in that area earlier. Looks like he could well be the next victim! This mugger is not out for just what’s in that wallet (good thing, cause Gerard’s is empty); looks like he’s out fo
Cindy C Bennett
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the mark of a truly great author when he can create a character that is not only flawed, but is downright unlikeable - and yet you find yourself rooting for him, sympathizing with him, and hoping he'll come out on top. Ruby Barnes has created such a character in Ger Mayes.

It's almost impossible to tell you much about the story without giving it away, just suffice it to say you must read Ger's story. This is a man who can't make a good decision, ever, and doesn't seem to learn from his mist
J.J. Toner
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PERIL by Ruby Barnes

An engaging romp through Dublin (mostly) in the company of a young(-ish) man called Ger Mayes with the morals of a stray mongrel and a serious drink habit. Forced to commit an unspeakable crime, he is soon in thrall to a community of blackmailers. He turns to an old, rich friend for help. Unfortunately, his friend’s moral compass is even more at sea than his own and the two of them get deeper and deeper into the mire as they attempt to extricate themselves and line their pock
Kath Middleton
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gerard (call me Ger) Mayes fancies himself with the ladies; in fact he embarks upon an affair with his wife's best friend. In a drunken brawl, he kills a Romanian beggar and the man's twin brother demands money in recompense. He also demands an illegal act from Ger, or he will supply evidence of the killing to the Garda. Ger is, to my mind, an unpleasant, selfish and amoral individual but his tale is compelling reading.

The story is told as a first person narrative, mainly by Ger, though occasion
Michael Wayne
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ger Mayes is despicable, so despicable that you can't help but to pay attention to his every move.
Well done Mr. Barnes
Shelly
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like a lot of other reviewers have noted, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed reading a story about a main character who is not the most likable of people, a rather self-centered and self-serving fellow. But the writing is very well done, the story is entertaining and I couldn't wait to find out if comeuppance was going to occur or not. You'll have to read it yourself to find out.
TAMMY CUEVAS
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gerard Mayes is a terrible person in a terrible mess. He's on the verge of being fired and really doesn't care; he's really just counting the days until Aunt Mary dies and leaves his wife a sizeable inheritance; and he's playing a balancing act with his wife, mistress, and possible future mistress. And now, he's being blackmailed by a gang of drug dealers. And the fun is just beginning...

In Ruby Barnes' novel "Peril", he has created a character who most readers will love to hate. Gerard is every
Sally
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly delightful! I first read an unrelated short story by Ruby Barnes. It had promise, but didn’t seem quite finished. It left me hanging, wishing for just a bit more. Well, both Peril and its sequel, Getting Out of Dodge, give a bit more and then some.

At the beginning of Peril, Ger – our hero? – says: “When I’m finished you will likely have no respect for me. What not to do with your life by Gerard Mayes. There will be a warm feeling that it happened to me, not you, and that I deserved
Bill Thibadeau
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow and droll start that almost had me putting down this book and thinking that not all indie books are worth reading. However, the author has a good writing style and there was just enough of a tantalizing plot that I thought I should keep reading since the author spent a good deal of time writing.

As I got past the doldrums, I found myself reading a fast paced, well crafted story, with unlikeable characters. I was hooked! I was mesmerized by the path the characters take and their tribulations.
J.H. Sked
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is phenomenal writing. The author has an absolute knack for sketching out characters and pulling the reader into their lives and motivations. As a result the reader finds themselves sympathising with situations and decisions that they normally wouldn't.

I'll admit to varying between 4 & 5 stars on this one, because I've never met a character I disliked so much (Bella from Twilight doesn't come close). The main character in this book, Ger, made me want to reach through the pages and slap him,
Richard Sutton
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have always been attracted to character-driven stories, so Ruby Barnes' writing has always found me a receptive reader. Peril is my third Barnes read, and like the others, it has been a romp. Ger Mayes, the primary character has so many faults, I won't bother to sort through them, but he's a cheerful eedjit. Just smart enough to find several shovels with which to bury himself. This is a shifting study of bad decisions and how they can lead to nothing but additional bad decisions. Written in fi ...more
Denna
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ger Mayes is one of those types of guys who make some women try to tuck him beneath their wing so they can take care of him. Others will follow along and pray he gets exactly what he deserves. Whichever kind you end up being, you’re sure to have a blast following this womanizing idiot as he gets himself into one bad mess after another, each one just slightly worse than the one before it. I didn’t know whether to laugh, or groan and slap my forehead, thinking it a good idea to pull him by the ear ...more
Franz McLaren
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had little idea what to expect when I opened this book. From the teaser I suspected that it would probably be a suspense noir using Dublin as a setting and, in all honesty, there is a bit of that. But Ruby Barnes' writing style and story telling skills were a pleasant surprise. In Ger Mayes he has created complete scoundrel, with few redeeming qualities, that nonetheless steals the reader's heart. Ger is a person hopelessly self-centered who makes all the wrong moves and yet I found myself con ...more
Deneé
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-kindle
This entire book played out like a film noire in my head, for some reason. It starts in medias res, then slowly develops it's characters and plot before going headstrong into the book's pinnacle. It's probably because of the beginning slowness of the story line, as well as the lack of descriptive visual traits of the characters that made me a little apprehensive of giving this five stars, but the thriller did just as it promised, it thrilled. I was surprised with how the book started to shock an ...more
Kevin Wilkins
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a giveaway which meant I had nothing to worry about if I didn't like it, but I loved it. A flawed main character who has an inflated idea of his own ability leads us into a journey through Dublin's sub-culture, via Amsterdam, to a reveal at the end which is excellent. Ruby's characters are well drawn and realistic and there is not a word of superfluous dialogue or description in the book. If you like gritty tales with a hint of gangsterism, this is for you. I went straight to Amazo ...more
Irene
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
If you're looking for an everyone lives happily ever after tale, keep on looking, you won't find it here. The world seems to be crashing down around Ger in this witty, well written, engaging story. Even though much of Ger's "peril" is due to his own lack of self control I couldn't help but feel sorry for him as he dug himself in deeper and deeper from one bad situation to the next. A very enjoyable read.
Mike  Davis
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor, crime
I found this to be an enjoyable book. The protagonist is in turn naive, arrogant, scheming, criminal, lovable, innocent and guilty. There are enough twists to be interesting and the story line is a good one despite the fact that the reader knows what's going on most of the time. Barnes has done a fine job with this one.

This book was received in eBook format in exchange for an honest review.
Perry Aylen
He's not the standard hero, he's not the typical male lead; he's a real man; about half as clever as he thinks he is, where thinking is a reaction, not an action.
One part of me thought he's too stupid for words, whereas the other part thought - there but for the grace of God....
A clever story, well told, with a good supporting cast round a character that defies pigeon-holing.
Ann Lee
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Five Star Winner!

Ruby Barnes's novel "Peril," is a good book. My goodness, I enjoyed this book. It had it all, drama, mystery, love gone bad, crime, etc. The main character is dispictable, however you are drawn to him. You dislike him, feel sorry for him at times but he gives you a inside look into the seedy side of Ireland.
Sarah Williams
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this quirky crime tale. The story was fast paced and full of surprises and written with a great balance of dark humour and sorrow. I'll definitely be on the look out for more books by this author.
Ginney Etherton
Barnes breaks 3 rules that usually make or break a book for me, and he still won me over. As noted, the protagonist is unlikable. It's written in the present tense. Some early chapters are narrated by different characters, 1 chapter each, and then the format is dropped.
Good writing prevails.
Jack
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A picaresque tale of Ger, a Scot living in Ireland, who makes a very, very bad mistake whilst drunk one night, then becomes embroiled in a complex saga affecting his nearest and dearest.
Pete Morin
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rollicking fun read. Ruby is a funny man, and his style is infectious. A fine tale about a lovable rogue.
Brian Gore
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky, at points crass, but creative and entertaining.
Dixie Hamilton
My first book by this author. Free on Amazon so gave it a try. Took a while to get into it. Probably won't read anything else by this author.
Krizia Anna
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ruby-barnes
It was pretty good. It was exciting, something to read when you're bored. However, I have no love for Ger Mayes. He is a central character that I would rather not read about.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
I got this back in 2012 for review and picked up my copy on Smashwords. When I went to read it now (yes, I'm waaaay behind and trying to catch up), I realized I never sent the copy to my Kindle so there is no copy there. Then I realized the computer that had the file crashed back in 2015, so struck out there. Then the backup flash drive is one of the ones that got accidentally wiped, so another strike. For the final nail in the coffin, the book is no longer available on Smashwords, so it's not i ...more
Jay Fromkin
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part way through reading "Peril," I thought that Ruby Barnes had written a surprisingly good "bloke book" for a woman. OK, now I get it. Ruby Barnes is an Irishman, and quite an author. This book has movie option written all over it, and I would certainly look forward to it hitting the big screen.

The protagonist, Ger Mayes, is a middle-class Scot married to Jo, an Irish woman, and so they live in Ireland. Ger also has a mistress - Jo's friend Renee, a best friend in gay drug-enthusiast, Tom, and
Ruby Barnes
May 24, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-by-ruby
A note from the author:

Ladies, don't let your man read this book. You don't want him getting ideas on how to misbehave.

Fellas, keep your copy well hidden.

PERIL is the story of Gerard Mayes, an anti-hero. Men want to be him, women want to redeem him. Ger's story is fiction, but his origins are real - everyday folk living and working in a Dublin city center wracked with organized begging, drug addicts, and violent crime. It's not all leprechauns and shillelaghs in Ireland.

Ger is a slacker. A cons
Writers and Readers : Giveaway of Peril by Ruby Barnes 1 5 May 08, 2012 03:33AM

• Hard Bite
  • Right as Rain (Derek Strange and Terry Quinn #1)
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • Fags and Lager
  • Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1)
  • Total Chaos (Marseilles Trilogy, #1)
  • The Midnight Choir
  • Down These Green Streets: Irish Crime Writing in the 21st Century
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Big Blowdown (D.C. Quartet #1)
  • The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1)
  • The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • Carte Blanche
  • Motor City Blue (Amos Walker, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
  • Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward
I'm an author and a reader. I write dark thrillers - Peril, The Baptist, The Crucible - and read thrillers and literary fiction.

I've pedalled the pushbike of life until the chain fell off. Now living in rural Ireland where the natives are friendly and the weather atrocious, I write crime fiction and thrillers.

Ruby's News is my mail list with freebies, pre-release info and other updates. As a welco

News & Interviews