Start by marking “Shadow Castle” as Want to Read:
Shadow Castle

Shadow Castle

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  619 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews

Published (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Castle

Marian
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I read this book again I was prepared to give it 5 stars for being a childhood favorite. Then I read it and my jaded adult self couldn't leave it at that.

I deducted one star for the names Flumpdoria, Flame and Glauz. You might think that's a little harsh, but the name King Klux ultimately pushed me to this decision. Klux is about as unfortunate as naming your child Adolf.

I deducted another star for the vegetarian dragon. Ever since the whole Twilight saga, I'm extremely suspicious of any
Rosemary
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those books when encountered young that will haunt you for years, if only trying to dredge up the title in your head or answer those conversations that begin "did you ever hear about a book where...." Cockrell wrote a fairly simple (and often slightly twee) twisting of classic fairytales into a novel for children -- but there's a spark too of a deeper story. If you encounter Mika, Gloria, and the reason behind the shadows before age 10, you'll find yourself haunted too.
Starla Huchton
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone, children especially
Recommended to Starla by: my mother
Shelves: ya, fantasy
There are those books we read as a child and never forget. I couldn't tell you how many times I would run across this book as a kid, stop whatever I was doing, and sit right there for HOURS and re-read it. This seemed to happen at least once a year. I'm always astounded that no one seems to have heard of this book. I only recently discovered someone I know on Twitter has read it and love it as much as I do! It's one of those magical stories that you find yourself wishing were true. My grown-up, ...more
CLM
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: SLM
A long overdue review: http://perfectretort.blogspot.com/201...

It is wonderful that this book is back in print. My copy growing up was a hardcover printed during WWII (it had been my mother's) on paper nearly as thin as tissue paper, with a plain dark green cover.
Jacqueline
This is the first fantasy that I remember reading. I was probably 10 or so. I always remembered it fondly and saved my copy for many years for my someday children. Well I read it to my boys and they loved it too. It may not have been quite as magical as it was all those years ago but it stood up well to an adult read, especially as I was reading it out loud to my sons.
Katherine
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I escaped into this book so many times as a child. It is, pure and simple, a wonderful fairy tale. If you or a child you know loves fairies, magic, dragons, secret enchantments and more, make sure to add it to your bookshelf.
Jillian
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were on a desert island and could only have five books with me, this book would be one of them. It is a childhood favorite for both my mom and me. Even my friends from high school read it and loved it.
Constance
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young readers ready to move from rainbow fairies
This was a fondly remembered childhood favorite. While it doesn't really stand the test of time for me as an adult reader, I was surprised at how many passages I remembered vividly and was delighted to remember the ways those passages had struck a chord with my 10-year-old self. I guess there is a teeny bit of the romantic in me. This book has the elements of a childhood classic: parents absent (naturally); adventures found at the end of a trail you've passed a dozen times; mysterious castle in ...more
Chrissi Jackson
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My very favorite childhood book. I had forgotten the name of it and finally just found it again. Anyone who loves fantasy books should read this. If it were written today it would be a best seller!!
Grace
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author: Marian Cockrell
Title: Shadow Castle expanded ed.
Description (source): In the middle of a deep forest is an enchanted valley and a castle where only shadows live, shadows of kings and queens who have waited for hundreds of years for the spell cast upon them to be broken. One day, a girl named Lucy follows a little dog through a tunnel into the valley and meets the mysterious red-haired Michael, who takes her into the shadow world to meet Prince Mika and his mortal wife Gloria, their child
Dawn
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book when I was growing up. I remember finishing it and instantly re-reading it - over and over again. After years of trying to recall a title and fruitless searches online - I finally found it again. Would I give it five stars if I were reading it for the first time as an adult? No. Probably 3.5. But there is something to be said for the magic of a book that has stayed with you for over 40 years. And for that I'll give it a resounding five stars.
Ellen Lee
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long ago and far away, in a summer idyll, a girl lay in tall grass in the shade of a chestnut tree and read this book, lost in another world, transported there by a magician named Marian who had cast a silver spell on the child. The child returned to her own world as evening fell, but she always carried the memories of the magical realm with her, like a secret locket that lay against her heart.

IT'S ME! THAT GIRL WAS ME! In case you missed it :)

Robin
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is perhaps the first book I ever remember reading by myself. At least, this is the one that stuck with me. For years, I couldn't remember the title. Then one day I ran across it as a yard sale. I was so happy to discover it again. My daughter was less impressed but she was older by then. Easy read (obviously) but a cute story, one which stayed with me over the years.
Toni berkshire
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hanna, nick, lydia
Recommended to Toni by: Miss Ruth Ingham, 3rd grade teacher Emerson school
1953 was about the year that I first read this book, 52 years ago, and have been looking for it ever since. I thought it was absolutely magical to read this in 3rd grade. It was pre t.v. and Harry Potter and goblins, and such books were not that plentiful then. Still think it is a good little book and hope my grandchildren will like it.
LiteraryTiger
I read this as a child and I absolutely loved it! It had goblins, magic, a prince, a princess and a dragon. When I re-read it as an adult, I thought the writing was pretty bad and unoriginal. But I'll never forget how it fed my imagination and my love to read.
Diana
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much when I was a kid!
Elinor  Loredan
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Shadow Castle is like a collection of expanded fairy tales, with the same magical and marital elements found in fairy tales, but a little more background and commentary on the characters. I was hoping the book would feature more of Lucy, but I followed the connected stories of the 'shadow people' with delight. The fairies, elves, magical mouse, west wind, Flumpdoria, dragon, mountain covered in flowers--all were enchanting.

As to things I found to be less delightful--I don't like Gloria and Mika
Amanda
Apr 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this, I mean I was primed to like it from reviews and recommendations.

Sadly, did not like. The only thing that happens is that a little girl named Lucy finds a magic valley with a magic castle full of mysterious purple shadows and a little dog and a man named Michael. To pass the time, he tells her stories of the people who once lived there. That sounds okay, doesn't it?

Erg. All that ever happened was that princesses and princes fell in love and got married and had little princ
Jeneé
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The original was my favorite book when I was little, and when I found out there was a special edition one I had to read it. The only difference really between the two is that the speical edition has some added chapters that the author had apparently omited from the original publication. Even though I loved this version too, I'm alittle bit torn. I feel like because of the added chapters there was a lot of things repeated that could have been edited out. But at the same time all the extra chapter ...more
Avie Layne
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadow Castle was passed down to me at age 10 from a favorite Aunt. As I grew, I must have read this book 3-4 times per year. When I became a mother, I wanted to pass along this delightful story once my boys were old enough to listen to what they called a "chapter book". They too selected this book to be read 3-4 times per year. Both grown and one with children, the oldest one located a new copy of the book, purchased it and reads it to his children. The children are now requesting that "grammio ...more
Robbin Rose
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was my favorite childhood book - i remember buying it with my own money through the scholastic book club :-)
45 years later, Princess Bluebell and Prince Michael still charm me.
Terri
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first favorite book as a child - and after years of trying to remember the title, I finally found it on with a search on google vintage scholastic titles. Hope to find a copy so I can read again. So excited to have found this!
Liana
This is a great book, although I wasn't a fan of the separate scene storytelling. It was kind of disrupting. I would have liked it more if it had stuck to ONE story, rather than be a story telling another story. Hahaha... 8'D
Kevin Hughes
My kids enjoyed listening to this story. Originally published 1945, it strikes some classic fairytale themes and it's an easy read.
Patricia Imperiale
My absolute favorite book as a child
D.F. Haley
Mar 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave up on this one. Not something my daughter would like.
Heather
My mom remembered having read Shadow Castle when she was a kid, and was tickled to see it back in print, so I got it for her for Mother's Day, and then borrowed it when I was visiting her for Christmas. I was bothered by a line or two of casual racism (e.g. "This was a very long time ago, and there were no people in this country but primitive Indians" (18)) but other than that, this was a pleasing book to read over the course of two very rainy December days. It's a fun series of stories, and I l ...more
Holly
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I read this in, oh, 1974? I found it on our family bookshelf and took it up to our very rustic summer cabin. The framing device involves a girl who finds a fairy castle in the woods surrounding her home on a mountainside, so it seemed an appropriate place to read this.

The book was pleasantly creepy and weird, but there was something about it that still prevented me from really liking it or bothering to remember its title and author (the way I always remembered the title and author of The Tombs
Jeanna
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Where do I even begin with this book? Whoever is reading my review I'll just say this, this book is very life-changing and inspirational in ways. This book is very old, I believe it was made in 1972, but this book ties everything together from beginning to end. I caught some spelling and grammar errors, but I still understood the story. Even at the end, I thought, "why can't this book be a series??" Lol I recommend it highly for the fairy tale lovers and the ones who are looking for a good book ...more
  • Crown and Jewel
  • The Little Lame Prince
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • The Secret Language
  • The Wednesday Witch
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • Granny's Wonderful Chair
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • Time at the Top
  • The Olive Fairy Book
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • The Legend of Holly Claus
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • The Snow Princess
Marian Cockrell was a talented screenwriter as well as novelist, best known for the enchanting Shadow Castle.
More about Marian Cockrell...

“Lucy shivered and went on again. 'This is an adventure,' she thought. 'You can't have an adventure if you stop in the middle.” 9 likes
“It was love at first sight with Robin, but probably the Princess Bluebell had been in love with him all the time she had been at the castle, although she wouldn't say so, of course.” 2 likes