Jump to ratings and reviews

A Deceit to Die For

A mysterious letter hidden in an old manuscript…
Merciless assassins determined to recover it…
An ordinary family fighting to survive…

When history professor Ian O’Brien purchases an old collection of letters and books, he unknowingly steps into the world of a shadowy organization. His family is soon caught up in a web of intrigue and deceit spun out of a 16th century Muslim conspiracy that somebody still wants to keep secret. This powerful and ruthless group will stop at nothing to recover the document. Events spin out of control, tragedy strikes and the quest for answers begins. Facing impossible odds, they race against time to discover the truth and save their loved ones. In the process, they learn just how powerful and enduring a lie can be.

Meticulously researched and drawing on historical facts, Luke Montgomery’s fast-paced, thought-provoking thriller exposes the dark history behind the cultural and religious challenges we face today. This explosive and courageous debut novel forces us to grapple with issues of identity and faith. In the words of one reviewer, “Never again will you utter the words ‘gospel truth’ without thinking of this book.”

"Luke Montgomery's fast-paced novel is a political and religious tour de force. This book puts a face on the clash of civilizations unfolding in our day. Too true to call fiction, too gripping to put down. Well-researched, brilliantly executed!" --Joel Richardson, New York Times Bestselling author

"It was about time someone created a skillful and intelligent page turner using Turkey and its politics as the base." -Yesim Erez, Cumhuriyet

"An EXPLOSIVE novel." -B.Johnson, High Tide Journal and Washington Times communities.

"Truly an 'inside' job." -Tim from Seattle

520 pages, Paperback

First published February 28, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Luke Montgomery

1 book9 followers
"Author of suspense thriller A DECEIT TO DIE FOR-- The book that is making waves across the globe." Ethandune Publishing

Raised on the ancient hunting grounds of the Mescalero Apaches, Luke Montgomery cut his teeth on tales of Geronimo’s exploits, supped with Viking heroes in Valhalla and embarked on exhilarating voyages with Odysseus. Somewhere along the way, he grew older, but he didn't grow up. After obtaining his MA in Linguistics, he set a course for adventure in Europe and the Middle East, where he lived for over a decade combing Hittite, Phrygian, Lycian, Greek and Roman ruins on the shores of the Mediterranean and Aegean. An inquisitive anthropologist and history buff, Mr. Montgomery immersed himself in the local culture, mastering both the language and customs of the people. He has sipped tea with the sons of Ottoman sultans, explored the Taurus Mountains with Turcoman tribes, listened to haunting Kurdish folk songs and watched the sun rise in Aman with the Arabic call to prayer floating over the desert sand. When he is not consulting private and public institutions with interests and operations in the Middle East, he tends grapes, raises Longhorn cattle and researches political developments. As an expert on Islam, he spends much of his time researching and writing about religious politics.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (8%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 16 of 16 reviews
Profile Image for Luther Cobbey.
53 reviews8 followers
June 10, 2012
Though Montgomery might not entirely appreciate the comparison, the reading of this book is in many ways reminiscent of reading Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. There are personal "everyday" stories of potential romance interfiled between heart-thumping sequences in which you're wondering if who you thought was the protagonist is going to survive. Add to that a good dose of political and religious conspiracy, and you have a fun, page-turning debut novel from Luke Montgomery.

This story is written by someone who uses a pseudonym, apparently because of religious opposition to some of the versions of history that are espoused by certain characters in the book. Montgomery, an American, spent years in "the Muslim world" and is apparently fluent in Turkish language and culture. The story itself hops around the globe, but several key parts take place in Turkey. It follows the family of a well-known history scholar who stumbles on an ancient document that quickly proves relevant to more than his small circle of colleagues.

I think that, for the most part, different views across the religious and political spectrum that includes American and western democracy and Christianity, as well as Muslim and eastern thought, are fairly represented in the story and characters. Because of the story's relevance to current politics, news, and cultural changes, it readily invites a sequel. The boundaries between fiction and reality are also tested for readers who visit web sites mentioned in the book that contain secret correspondence between spies, and even more so if readers follow Montgomery's frequent postings online.
Profile Image for Daniel Audi.
47 reviews7 followers
March 8, 2014
As a former resident of Istanbul and a lover of anything well-written, I found Mr. Montgomery's rookie novel to be a highly compelling read. I am the type of reader that has bookmarks in five or six books at a time, so it often takes me several months to get through a book. Not so with A Deceit to Die For; I got to the end in quick order. The storyline was kinetic and unexpected at times. The characters were nuanced and believable. The underlying themes were rich and thought-provoking.

The only complaint I had was that there were a few scenes of dialogue that I felt were a bit unbelievable. For instance, in chapter 2, Ian and Judith, two history buffs, had a discussion in which they laid out the rudiments of Byzantine history. The information was needed to provide historical background to the reader, but it did not feel like a natural exchange between two historians.

This minor complaint notwithstanding, I highly recommend this book to any thinking reader with no reservations whatsover, and I anticipate further pieces by Luke Montgomery.
Profile Image for Michelle.
7 reviews
July 23, 2012
I found this story in the Amazon Prime lending library and thought the premise was interesting. The story was great and kept me engaged. The author created characters you could root for and kept the suspense level up. I didn't necessarily understand where the daughter was coming from as far as some of her interactions and hostility towards other characters in the book but that didn't stop me from hoping that everything ended up okay for her and her family. Funnily enough the ending left me wanting to chuck my Kindle out a window. I was definitely pissed, the story brings you along for a great ride, reveals a major surprise on the last page and then it ends. It caused me to immediately check to see if he had written a sequel but so far no luck. I'll definitely be adding Luke to my author's to watch list and hopefully the next one doesn't slam on the brakes.
Profile Image for Ekrem.
37 reviews35 followers
November 14, 2012
This book is a must-read for those who want to get a sense of the current political situation in Turkey.

The author gives a very succinct note on what the book is really about in the very beginning by quoting Pascal: “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.”

Of course this is a book of fiction but there are many points at the book that are closer to truth than one would expect from such a book of fiction.

The plot is many layered with unexpected twists and turns, and this makes it a more enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
2,883 reviews49 followers
July 25, 2012
So a professor finds an interesting letter from the past and decides to research and unearths a conspiracy that's been going on for centuries. I thought this book was going to be like the historian and I was going to regret that I started reading it. luckily for me that was not the case this book has so much deceit and corruption til the very last page. It was very interesting and put an interesting twist on religion being used as a way to take over the world. I enjoyed it.
222 reviews5 followers
October 23, 2012
My husband downloaded this book onto our account and I accidentally read it because he has never done that and I thought I had purchased it. I'm so glad that I read it! Just to warn you there is a lot of Islamic religious history, and I started to skip the long explanations and just enjoyed the story line.
Profile Image for Mandie Lowe.
374 reviews35 followers
January 7, 2017
About three times longer than it ought to have been. The action scenes are excellent, riveting, captivating. The historical plot is so-so. The dialogue is pretty much non-stop exposition. Very tedious.

I don't recommend this one, it is too much of a slog. The good parts are there, but few and far between.
Profile Image for Cheryl.
204 reviews5 followers
November 30, 2012
It is a page turner, a great mystery, very real and as factual as can be. If you have any interest in Turkey it is a MUST read.
Profile Image for Roberta.
1 review2 followers
Read
July 27, 2012
I recommend this book to all who enjoy history and suspense.
Author did a wonderful job of writing.
A must read...
Profile Image for Jack.
2,521 reviews19 followers
November 24, 2017
Complex international adventure centred on Istanbul. An academic's discovery sets off a sinister organisation with spies in high places.
Profile Image for Pat.
2,310 reviews381 followers
February 29, 2016
Gosh I wish I could give it 4.5 stars. This book was amazing. I mainly got it because it was supposed to be full of arcane historical details wrapped in a mystery/thriller. Well, it certainly delivered.

An old document surfaces, but because it is not supposed to made public and, in fact, points to an ancient but ongoing conspiracy, the world is turned upside down for the finder's family as certain extremist groups will stop at nothing to recover this document. In a race against time the family work to uncover the meaning and relevance of the document before they are killed or some really bad stuff happens.

Studded throughout with a fascinating historical perspective on present day events, the book was hugely entertaining. Just be warned, and this is where I take off half a point, it is very long. And, although never boring, I thought some of the history could have been slightly abbreviated.
1 review
April 19, 2012
From Academia in London, to the streets of Istanbul, to a small farm in East Texas, A Deceit to Die For takes you on a whirlwind journey filled with intrigue, love, history, and murder.

When the O’Brien family go ‘on the run’ after the discovery of a much sought after and feared secret, there are forces who will stop at nothing to recover or destroy the evidence they have found.

And for those of you who know Byzantine history, be prepared for a some well researched facts that you may not have known before …some of them not easy for the modern day Christian to accept. I can’t wait for the sequel!
December 24, 2012
I actually won this book through one of Goodreads' giveaways, so I don't know if I would have read this book otherwise. It is a very Dan Brown- esque where the person who you think is the main character comes upon a secret and is killed to protect it within the first few chapters. That whole death is what propells the rest of the story and connects all the rest of the stories that Montomery tries to weave throughout the book. There were parts where I was entranced by the writing, others I had to trudge through. Overall the book was pretty decent, just way too long and convulated with a historical background that I am not too familiar with. A valiant effort.
Profile Image for Shannon Lise.
Author 3 books15 followers
April 24, 2012
This book is amazing! Sensational plot, very exciting and full of surprises. I fell in love with the characters; they are so authentic and compelling.

It is a conspiracy story that is full of fascinating information about Byzantine history and really gives you a feel for Islamic culture. It also has some remarkable and provocative things to say about the sinister relationship between politics and religion. An outstanding cross between fact and fiction. It’s seriously addicting! I hope a sequel is coming soon.
Profile Image for Patricia.
728 reviews5 followers
June 19, 2016
A college professor finds a mysterious fragment in an old book starting a chain of events when a covert religious group attempts to get it back. The group is powerful and ruthless with tentacles in government, the police, banking, and academia.

There are interesting facts about Islam and the Ottoman empire but it took many chapters before the central story emerged. To me, the book doesn't really conclude but rather it stops leaving many unanswered questions and loose ends. It felt as though there needed another chapter or two.

No graphic sex or violence

Displaying 1 - 16 of 16 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.