Start by marking “Insanity (Asylum, #1)” as Want to Read:
Insanity (Asylum, #1)

Insanity

(Asylum #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  2,950 Ratings  ·  568 Reviews
Adelaide Carmichael and Damien Allen couldn’t be more opposite.

Adelaide’s mother abandoned her when she was ten years old, leaving her to be raised by her abusive and alcoholic father.

Damien on the other hand came from a wealthy family, was a local celebrity, and seemed to have a bright future ahead of him.

Despite their differences, Adelaide and Damien were young, wild, an
Published May 6th 2012 by S.B. Addison Books

To ask other readers questions about Insanity, please sign up.

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

That's how I feel inside, cracked-no-shattered. It's like watching a mirror being blown up in front of you. There are so many pieces, but you have no idea how to put them together again. You have know idea where the pieces go.

For the longest time I felt like I was wandering aimlessly through my life. The only thing i could look forward to were my morning walks and dreams of getting out on my own someday . Then Damien came along.

Meet Addy, she lives with her father, her mother left when she was j
Nazanin
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I didn’t read any reviews before I started this book, I didn’t even read the blurb. I just saw the title and its cover and rating and then I read it! And, unfortunately, it was the most predictable book that I’ve read so far! I mean I knew the twists from the first chapter and it was a disappointment! Maybe two or three years ago, it could have been one of my best read but not now. Its predictability aside, the writing was good and I enjoyed it but not as much as I wanted to. Told in si
Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
4.5 STARS

description

Wow...what a mindfuck!! Really! If you are like me and love dark and twisted stories, you don’t want to miss “Insanity”. Well, I guess the title is perfect since the setting of the story is an asylum. Needless to say when I finished this, I questioned my insanity for a minute or two. This story fucked up with my head. It was confusing and twisted and I couldn’t put it down.

“…when everyone thinks you’re crazy, no one is going to listen to you.”

The story is set in 1958. We have the pr
Marie
This book left me in a blubbering mess by the end. Felt like I belonged in that mental institution with the way I was rocking back and forth sobbing like a baby.

It took me through such an emotional turmoil I don't know whether my heart was breaking or if it had just stopped.
I held the book for about an hour reading the last few pages over and over again. I just couldn't wrap my head around what I just read and my mind wasn't in the right state to comprehend that ending.
I went through bein
Aestas Book Blog
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

4 - 4.5 stars.

Wow - I was looking for something unique and just "different" and this absolutely fit the bill!

The story was creative and original and honestly was just a total mind fuck that constantly had me questioning each theory I'd come up with.

The book was told from the perspective of a young woman, Adelaide, who was committed to an insane asylum. She didn't believe she was crazy, but everyone else seemed to think she was. So... who was right?

The story was instantly gripping - the kind th
Stacia (the 2010 club)
2.5 stars. I think the book gods must be laughing at me this week. It was all too apparent that my fabulous reading streak was going to have to end sometime, so of course they decided to shake things up by giving me a few books in a row which would test my limits of patience when it came to rating and reviewing them.

There had to have been at least 5 times when I was struck with the urge to slap a big DNF on this book. The first half was painfully terrible. The book's summary had me thinking that
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
***** 5 "COO COO FOR COCOA PUFFS" STARS ****

"I am not crazy"... "I am not crazy".. "I am not crazy".... YES, Adeleine you are... or are you?

UGH ! This "Insanity" is damn near impossible to explain without spoiling a pivotal plot twist...... or not.........maybe there's nothing to tell.... maybe I'm still confused.... maybe I think I know but I don't...... I know nothing..... I know E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.........Did I confuse you?.... Are you intrigued?.... Good, now go read the story and welco
Sylvia
My heart is aching, my stomach hurts and my eyes are swollen from all the crying I have been doing while finishing up this book. I cannot believe how much I am hurting here. This book has affected me in more ways than I thought it ever would and I am floored and awed by the sheer brilliance of this poetic, haunting, tragic and ever so beautiful story of Addy and Damian. I am tearing up again while I try and type this review.

This book makes me sad in so many ways and I don't know where to start.
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

photo FreeTuXBbysb_zps5b0c2c6e.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (2/27/2015)

BLURB:
Adelaide Carmichael and Damien Allen couldn’t be more opposite.

Despite their differences, Adelaide and Damien were young, wild, and fiercely in love.

And they had a plan.

They were going to run away.

Be together fore
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
I have no idea...really no idea what the hell is going on here!

This is the story of Adelaide or "Addy" and she is in an asylum...or is she? She came from nothing and lived a poor life where she bounced between a world of harsh abuse from her father and sweet loving from a rich boy across town. Her life was lived with stolen kisses and sweet whispers of a bright future with Damian Allen...or was it?

Spending the present fighting against the institution she resides, she is fighting everything. She
Tough Critic Book Reviews
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed at http://toughcriticbookreviews.blogspo...

Insanity is totally full of WTF!! Seriously...WHAT! THE! F--K! You totaly think you have it figured out, (which you do) but then you DON'T. While you're stuck figuring out the things you think you know, Lauren Hammond sneaks up from behind and slaps you with WHAT THE HELL!!! It's like a really screwed up game of "mother may I". Just when you think you're at the end, HA! Think again, you're not! There's a reason I had to go back and re-read the
Debra
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
"No, I am not crazy.
I can't be.
But if I wasn't I wouldn't be here, right?
So maybe...I am."

One of the most confusing books I've ever read!!! The story goes back and forth between present and past and it kept surprising me until the very last page… Need to start the next book ASAP!

Lauren Hammond
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
If you've enjoyed He Loves Me, If I Can't Have You, and A Whisper To A Scream, this is another one you'll like. :D

I keep wanting to SQUEE!!! SQUEEE I TELL YOU!

JUST WAIT FOR BOOK THREE!!!!

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I HAVE IN STORE FOR YOU!
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Spoiler Free Review
4 STARS out of 5
Genre: Mature YA-Romance/Mystery
Series: Book #1 in Asylum Series
"No...
I don't care what the staff tells me.
I. Am. Not. Crazy."
-Adelaide in Insanity

Reading this book truly felt like reading the diary of a "Mad-Woman". You start off with a question "Ok, why is she in the asylum?" Then you think "Damn, what happen to her she seems cool." But just as suddenly that thought evaporates and you realize things are not what they seem.

The book starts off with Adelaide Ca
Annie Brewer
Holy Fuck!!!! I can't think straight. This book fucked with my head and emotions so much. I have no energy to write my review. Not now. Review coming soon.

WOW....I'm not sure how to start this review. I read it a few days ago and I still can't get the events that unfolded out of my head. It was trippy. First of all, I don't really like books about insane asylums because they scare the shit out of me. Literally, they freak me out to the point of like insanity. LOL but after friends reviews and ra
Vera
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars* As much as I really like this book I’m not continuing to read this series… Yeah… It took me a while to see how I would rate this book…

"I don't care what the staff tells me.
I.Am.Not.Crazy
That's just ludicrous."

The story just hooks you in right away and made you feel for Adelaide.

“Life is pain. Life is chaos. Its never easy. Always a struggle.”

This book is mind-boggling at its best. I love these kinds of books! I have some suspicions about Adelaide’s conditions and I
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
5 Stars! If a book can shock me more than what I already expected than Bravo!
 photo tumblr_modsf9l2vK1rrdagto1_500_zps71ae19f0.gif
CLAP photo tumblr_mnv8k5tAxm1s4xdz1o1_400_zps0429390a.gif

I mean who is crazier than Marilyn Manson and the Joker? Lol! These people! No seriously though, I'm so glad I already have book 2 b/c I couldn't wait to start reading it!! Throughout this book I kept asking myself, is she really crazy?

At the end of this book:
 photo tumblr_lru3oedgkv1qdh93uo1_500_zps47f80d85.gif

So while reading this book I kept thinking.....
crazy photo tumblr_mk4dorcYNX1rruv33o1_500_zps13947091.gif

And since the book is based in an insane asylum I guess that is correct!

No seriously my thoughts while reading
Johanna
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 GLORIOUS EFFEN STARS!!
HOLY EFFEN HELL!!! What a freakn roller coaster ride!!! This book has everything, love, tension, angst, heartache, and most importantly twist and turns in every corner.. My heart rate is pounding a mile a minute. I don't even know what to do with myself with all these new revelations. It's like I've been hit with a sledge hammer and all these stifling emotions are going through me.. I absolutely loved this book!! Cannot wait to see what the next book has in store.. I hig
Carla ☺Did I Say That☺
"4 and a half..*I think I'm crazy now*..Stars!!"
My thoughts on a review for this one...
 photo image-2_zps023f5d0c.gif
No way can I explain this without spoiling it..I will say.. if your a mindfuck junkie..one click this one..trust me you won't be disappointed!!!
Clarifina ~Books Are My Drugs~
                    Woah, what a serious mind-f**k. Reading Insanity was like being in a mad woman's head. I didn't know what was real or what were hallucinations. It was confusing, it screwed with my head, there was torture-though it was not written in detail-and some parts just gave me the chills and yet I loved it? Yes, yes I did. Now, this is the part where some of you go like this:

description

You must be thinking that I myself might have gone crazy. Well, there is a possibility that I did but trust me
Marielis
”Addy, eres mi sol, mi luna y mis estrellas. Eres mi cielo, mi infierno y mi tierra. Iría a cualquier parte por ti. Te seguiré a cualquier parte.”

Insanity es un libro muy difícil de parar. Me ha dejado sin palabras y me alegra mucho haberlo encontrado. La intriga está presente en cada capítulo y aquí la palabra aburrimiento nunca llega. Fue increíble como Lauren Hammond nos transporto a la piel de Addy. Llegue a sentir estar en los muros de Oakhill y tener ese montón de pedazos sin resolver
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
What a frakkin' mindfuck. Seriously. Did I mention steamy? Steamier, WAY steamier than I anticipated. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this book.

To me, this is a very scary book. Those deep dark fears, that society will fail us. We'll find ourselves fallen through the cracks, that civilization has risen up against us in this, "What did I do to piss off Karma so bad?" Addy finds herself in an insane asylum... it's like a horror movie producer's wet dream. Young adult female, abused, in a '
Kat
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bien. Decir que este libro acaba de destruir mi cordura, es decir poco, ahora mismo no paro de llorar, y me estoy planteando
seriamente si me estoy desquiciando.

Un completo shock. Un maldito y jodido shock. Este libro escondía mucho mas de lo que pensaba, y aunque ahora este replanteandome mi cordura, no me arrepiento.

La escritora ha hecho que me desquicie buscando pistas, y entonces,
¡boom! Lo soltó todo al final, consiguiendo que mi cabeza diera mil
vueltas y palpitara del gran shock que ha qued
Kelly Hashway
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is insanely awesome! Lauren posted an excerpt from the first chapter on her blog and my reaction was, "Wow, that's freakin amazing!" I had to read this, like immediately. And I wasn't disappointed. I mean a love story set in an insane asylum? It doesn't get more awesome than that. Addy claims she shouldn't be in the asylum, but the reader can tell that's not exactly true. She's trying to piece together her lost memories with the help of Dr. Watson, who seems to really care for Addy. Bu ...more
Scarlet
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Zemira, Zoey, Glass, Tanja...
This book takes mind-fuck to a whole new level!
And, you know me, I love mind-fucks, so I absolutely adore this book!!!
It reminded me a lot on American Horror Story Asylum TV-show so I simply devoured it. I was unable to stop thinking and questioning and wondering about every single thing that was going on in this book.

description

I'm now kicking myself for forgetting to read it sooner.

Sorry guys, I cant write this review cause I must read the sequel like right now...
Zizz
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I went on a mind trip today and it looked like this...

First 50% - NO.FREAKING.CLUE.
50-85% - Puzzle pieces come into play. I started theorizing.
85% - I knew it! I'm so so sad.
Say what?!! WTF!
Ending - Just when you finally get something real, you're left with more mysteries.

I liked it. I like it enough to read the sequel. But I figure I'll wait until the final book is out. I'm guessing there will be more backstory in the 2nd book and before I get further invested in the story and the characte
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Um..... Want to know what it feels like to lose your mind? I mean, seriously, lose your mind? Read this book. It is a complete mind fuck. I'm a huge fan of dark, complicated, twisty mind boggling reads but this one takes it to a whole different level. I seriously had no idea what was happening in 90% of this book. Adelaide basically wakes up in an insane asylum. The entire book is a back and forth story of the present and the past that gradually tells you what put her in this psych hospital. But ...more
Sally
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-almost-5
I know this isn’t going to make a whole lot of sense unless you have read Insanity. What a mind f*ck! I mean you know it’s meant to mess with you but then you actually start messing with yourself. You start thinking well maybe it’s a double whammy, & what I know can’t be ….actually is!! Then by the end you realize you are an ass & you have no clue! Yessssss a mind f*uck & I loved it!! Exactly what I needed & wanted. Thank you Johanna Luis for pushing me to read this you knew exac ...more
Menna
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
No, I am not crazy.

I can’t be.

But if I wasn’t I wouldn’t be here,

right?

So maybe… I am.

Is she..? Is she not..?

That's for you to figure out...!

Not gonna say anything more. :D
Maria
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
WoW..... This Book Is A Total Mind F**K, I mean really!! I couldn't put it down I needed more, can't wait for White Walls!!

5 Huge Stars;)
Never Too Old For...: INSANITY 32 269 Oct 15, 2014 10:52AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Asylum Series By Lauren Hammond - Starting October 8th 38 28 Oct 11, 2013 12:21PM
Buddy Read Zone: Insanity 12-22 78 62 Jan 05, 2013 06:09AM
  • Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3)
  • Love's Forbidden Flower (Forbidden Flower, #1)
  • Chosen
  • Vol.1 (London Brown, #3.5)
  • Escape from Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • Stripping Asjiah II
  • The End of Gods (A Welcome to the Underworld Novel, Book 4)
  • Reflection (Reflection, #1)
  • The Lonely (The Lonely, #1)
  • The Sordid Promise (Breaking Insanity, #1)
  • Going Under
  • My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 1 "Taken" (My Masters' Nightmare, #1)
  • Take Care, Sara
  • In the Air (The City, #1)
  • The Final Piece
  • Red Fox (Experiment in Terror, #2)
  • Lily of the Springs
  • Rock and Roll Never Forgets (Rock and Roll Trilogy, #1)
Lauren Hammond knew from a young age that she was born to be a writer. After publishing her first novel in 2007, she then went on to write several screenplays and a few award winning poems.She aspires to be a positive role model for young people who have a pencil, a piece of paper, and a dream. Never give up on your dreams, you might wake up one day and regret not pursuing them.She has two more no ...more

Asylum (4 books)
  • White Walls (Asylum, #2)
  • Beautiful Nightmares (Asylum, #3)
  • Just South of Biloxi (Asylum, #4)
“Addy, living one day without you would never be for the best. I want you every minute of every day. Forever. I love you.” 23 likes
“Life is pain. Life is chaos. It´s never easy. Always a struggle.” 7 likes