Start by marking “The Fyrelit Tragedy (Zarkora #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fyrelit Tragedy (Zarkora #1)

The Fyrelit Tragedy

(Zarkora #1)

Zarkora ... A city lost to darkness.
But everything that is lost, eventually must come to light.

A decade after the loss of their parents, Neleik and Ervine Fyrelit, two poor farm boys witness the kidnapping of their little sister, Sky. The Fyrelit brothers set off on a journey into darkness, unlocking secrets and revealing an unknown past beyond their imaginations.

They w
Paperback, 1st, 288 pages
Published July 2012 by Thornberry Press (first published December 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Fyrelit Tragedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fyrelit Tragedy

Deborah Ideiosepius
Now this was a really interesting, fantasy, chance find!

In the first part we see how the city of Zarkora (incidentally, this is the title of this book, which GR has not given it), falls to the bloody revolution instigated by the king's chief advisory, the king and queen vanish mysteriously.

Next we jump forward several years to a small agricultural town where orphan farm boy Neleik is all set to claim the local Stormboarding championship when he sees his sister being abducted by the same man who
Shannon
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a great little book! Zarkora is book 1 in a children's (possibly say 10-14ish) fantasy series following two brothers on an adventurous and dangerous trek to the ends of the land to rescue their kidnapped sister. Be prepared for all of the classic features found in the fantasy genre: giants and elves, dragons and monsters and most importantly a healthy dose of magic (plus of course the obligatory magical guy who has turned evil).

The characters are all quite loveable from the get-go and I fo
N.R. Eccles-Smith
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
The Fyrelit Tragedy, the first in the Zarkora series, is a great adventure story with a traditional quest feel. It reminded me of Emily Rodda's 'Deltora Quest' - which is one of my favourite MG fantasy series.

If given the chance, I would actually rate this book a 3.5. I enjoyed the premise and could imagine it played out like a traditional RPG (if it were a game). The characters were great, and I enjoyed getting to know each of them, with their colourful and unique traits and personalities. I al
Nikki
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
The plot is really interesting and I wanted to know more, but the writing is a bit awkward at times. There are also aspects of the story that I feel would be more interesting, but they are glazed over, and instead we are given more detail on things of less importance. This would probably appeal to younger fans of Deltora Quest and similar works.
Jessica
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a cool read. I'm still not 100% sure if it's YA or possibly younger however some of the violence suggests probably YA. It had all the creatures you could imagine and the different kinds of lands portrayed were a great setting for fantasy.
I guess my main 'criticism' (and this is me nit picking here) is that there seems to be less detail because it is aimed at younger audiences. I feel as if it could very easily be turned in to a full adult fantasy novel.
All that aside it was fast-paced,
Orange juice
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love it! :)
Kayla
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hiya guys! Authors, I don't know if you remember me but I was Lucy Heartfilia at Supernova in Brisbane who couldn't stop buying books and could only get the first novel of your awesome series. ~ Enjoy the review! ~

If you are a fan of fantasy, Deltora Quest and Harry Potter, then you will love this book. More suited for younger children and teenagers (and the adults who still love being a child at heart), it is a thrilling adventure fantasy following the tale of two brothers, their uncle, a runaw
Lexy
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this! 😍 It had everything you could ever want from a fantasy story, magical creatures, strong characters, growth, love, dragons, unicorns, mysterious cars, and just when you think its going to be one of those stories that is “happy go lucky” there’s a twist that you didn’t see coming. There was the perfect balance of suspense and answers, which I loved. It was intriguing but not dragged out which I find rare in both books and film. The pacing for me, is exactly right - I’ve re ...more
David
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
The writing is targeted to a young audience and while there are all the traditional fantasy elements I sense the young authors could write for an older crowd. They packed so much into each chapter and if developed further could easily attract older readers. If I was younger I would probably give it 3 or 4 stars. Great effort for some talented Aussie writers.
Friedrich Sarah E. Thompson
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Fyrelit Tragedy is a good start to what promises to be an exciting little series that follows a group of heroes as they fight to save not only their little sister, but also a city held hostage by evil.

The best bit about the book was definitely the worldbuilding, the little touches that gave the setting real character. Many of the cities and monsters had genuine sparks of emotion and creativity that gave them a wonderful, vibrant feel which really sucks you in. Motorised surfing on a lake wi
Kasper
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love a good epic fantasy adventure and this is a fun one for young readers.
I found the book covers enticing when I met Nicholas and Alison Lochel at a convention, and I was impressed by the work ethic and dedication of these two friendly and hard-working authors. The striking artwork is by illustrator, Minna Sundberg.
The story is a traditional fantasy tale, with two young boys embarking on a quest to
rescue their kidnapped sister from a sinister hooded stranger.
Along the way, there are encou
Jenna
VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZWu...

Despite everything, I found that I did enjoy this book, however for the longest time I didn't think I was going to. The plot of the novel is fairly simple and is one that it quite easy to follow, but it is also incredibly predictable and I found that I knew how it would end after only a few chapters.

The writing style was painful and awkward to read at times, meaning what should have been a very quick read ended up stretching out over a couple
Stefan Mursic
Although this series is for younger-readers, I bought this book because the price was right and I loved the idea of supporting surfacing authors. Whilst reading, I twitched at some very predictable fantasy-genre moments, however I just let it go after a while and it was nonetheless a very enjoyable story and it has gotten me interested in the sequels. I found the characters likable at around the half-way point, but before that I couldn't connect with them until I had experienced some things with ...more
Anthony William
I would have enjoyed the book much more had I been in late primary school.

I think younger readers would love the world and characters. Personally though I struggled to get past a lot of the cliche tropes and awkward phrases that permeated the book. I really wanted to get out a pen and edit some sections - says a lot about my personality perhaps!

However, I'm forgiving in my criticism due to the fact that it's a debut novel, and that I don't believe I fell into the targeted audience.

One last thin
Zitong Ren
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
When I read this(gosh, it would have been over two years ago), it was legit one of my favourite books at the time, so I decided to tell you all how awesome it is. Now, beware, I have only read the first two books, and only once, but if you’re looking for an easy introduction for children, or yourself and don’t want to commit to something like Lord of the Rings, then go read this book. For a kids fantasy novel, it is actually really well written by the brother-sister duo.
Chelsea Herondale
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Review to come on booknerdigans.com
But basically, this book didn't really have anything new for me. I've read a lot of books and this one felt like a little bit of a combination.
Also... The names. Really? It feels like the authors went onto a 'fantasy name generator' and picked at random.
Neleik. The whole time I pronounced it an knee-lick.
Also.... 14 year olds don't go on life threatening quests with no direction. Save that for the YA novels please.
Shannon
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel. It's a great first fantasy novel for today's generation.
Based in a world that is a mix of Lord of the Rings and Darwinism/Steampunk, it has aspects that would adapt well as a video game, similar to Fable.
Love it, but I am devastated that they have sold out to a publishing company that is rereleasing all the books with different covers....
Indigo
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was really good.
Bella Vickery
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had high expectations for this book, and it did not disappoint! Rich imagery, engaging plot and loveable characters. Beautifully written!
Gabrielle
It was okay but I wouldn't read it again. The way it was written, grammar and punctuality annoyed me far too much.
Katie Farrant
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up for $2 at Supanova and got more then I paid for. Couldn't put it down, I've read the 2nd one and now I'm waiting for the 3rd.
Helena
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was so interesting , it is a really lovely book to read and I'm so excited to read the next book
Joel
Dec 14, 2018
Jillian
Jul 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nicholas Lochel lives in Brisbane along with his two brothers, Chris and Justin and sister, Alison with whom he is co-writing the Zarkora series. Over his twenty-seven years he has held a wide variety of jobs including working as an actor, a bartender and a postie. He devotes most of his time to writing and when he is not seen with a pen and pad or a good book, he can usually be found riding his T ...more

Zarkora (4 books)
  • The Lost Kingdom (Zarkora, #2)
  • The Mark of the Jackal (Zarkora, #3)
  • The Last Stand of Fynaglade (Zarkora, #4)