Start by marking “Diners, Dives & Dead Ends (Rose Strickland Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Diners, Dives & Dead Ends (Rose Strickland Mystery, #1)

Read Excerpt

Diners, Dives & Dead Ends

(Rose Strickland Mystery #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,099 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
As a struggling waitress and part-time college student, Rose Strickland's life is stalled in the slow lane. But when her close friend, Axton, disappears, Rose suddenly finds herself serving up more than hot coffee and flapjacks. Now she's hashing it out with sexy bad guys and scrambling to find clues in a race to save Axton before his time runs out. With her anime-loving b ...more
Published July 17th 2012 by Henery Press (first published July 1st 2012)

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieHard Eight by Janet EvanovichThe Quiche of Death by M.C. BeatonDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. Austin
Cozy Crimes
446 books — 245 voters
One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. AustinEat, Pray, Die by Chelsea FieldThis Pen for Hire by Laura LevinePortrait of a Dead Guy by Larissa Reinhart
Humorous Mysteries
216 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Paula Adams
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read. Rose's friend goes missing and she does everything she can think of and then some to try to find him. Her middle name should be trouble as it finds her where ever she goes. Loved the ending. Was quite surprised.
Donna
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Diners, Dives and Dead Ends by Terri L. Austin was a free book that I won through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway. It's and advanced copy prior to the book coming out in July. I was glad I got to read this book. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Couldn't put it down until the last word.

Rose Strickland is a part-time college student and waitresses at Ma's Diner. She had been disinherited by her parents as she didn't want to conform to their lifestyle and go to the college they had chosen for her. "You
Paula  Phillips
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Omg , this was one of the funniest and most amazing light-hearted mysteries I have read , I did not want to put it down and the cover is amazing as well. I'm not normally a fan of light mysteries filled with humour etc as they tend to get a bit too silly for my liking but Terri's Diners, Dives and Dead Ends I really enjoyed. From the friends and family dynamics to the anticipation of what's going to happen next and of course what mischief Rose will find herself in.
In Diners, Divas and Dead Ends
Lynn Farris
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Diners, Dives and Dead Ends, A Rose Strickland Mystery", the first book from Henery Press and author Terri L. Austin is a winner. I predict this will be a long and successful series.

The strength of this book lies in the characters. Rose, or Rosalyn as her parents call her, is the central character. Born to a wealthy family, her parents forced her to move out and pay for college herself when she wanted to change schools after her freshman year. Rose now supports herself as a waitress at Ma’s Din
Goldie
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Debut author? Um...could be so-so, could have major mistakes, or might have to write a polite review for someone I know in real life...

NOT AT ALL! This book is awesome and I would recommend it to anyone who, like me, loves the genre of the rather wacky, unintentional sleuth with a unique group of friends who helps bungle their way into solving crimes. I like the additions of the many interesting men who show the main character, Rose, their interest. It rides the fine line of zaniness and believa
Larissa Reinhart
This delightful & funny mystery is fast-paced with wonderful characters and a quirky plot. Rose Strickland, a down-and-out waitress, puts her life on the line when she dedicates herself to finding her missing stoner friend. Her unrelenting determination gets her caught up in an underground gambling ring filled with dangerously delicious bad guys.

Using her sass, wits and a handy taser, Rose takes on the baddies in a fun, twisting plot that will keep you turning the pages! Terri L Austin's de
Narielle Living
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC from the publisher after winning it in a contest, and read the book in one day. In short, I loved this book! The main character is instantly likeable, the writing style is engaging and the plotting is well paced. The ending has a twist of sorts (I won't spoil it for anyone) and is somewhat of a surprise. I am really looking forward to reading more from this author, and hopefully Diners, Dives & Dead Ends becomes the first in a series.
Joni Stevens
I bought this autographed copy from the author at a local book signing. I didn't plan on buying it but I'm glad I did! I can relate to Rose, Roxy and Pot Head Ax! I loved the characters and the mystery of Ax's disappearance sucked me right in and I couldn't stop worrying about him right along with Rose! I won't spoil the ending but I was satisfied with it. I will be buying the Last diner Standing now to continue following Rose in her next adventure as a badass waitress. I hope we get some romanc ...more
Kendel Lynn
I loved this book the very first time I read it, and consider it a favorite. Terri Austin writes with confidence, blending humor and suspense with a practiced hand rarely seen in a debut. She serves us the gutsy Rose Strickland and her blue-haired sidekick, Roxie -- toss in her snobby family and a sexy bad guy, and the results are delicious. An excellent read if you're looking to dive into a new humorous mystery series.
Mia Fisher
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, full of surprises, and a lot of fun - I think Terri has come up with the perfect recipe for mystery/suspense! I like this book so much I'm currently re-reading it!!
LynDee
When a book keeps you on the treadmill for a double-length workout, you know you’ve found a winner! Terri L. Austin, my waistline thanks you for this fresh, funny mystery that had enough twists to keep me walking (and guessing) all the way to the breathless finale.

This first book in Austin’s debut series introduces Rose, a mixed-up twentysomething who thinks her life as a waitress/student is pretty dull. Then her closest friend goes missing and her world is flipped on end by shady characters an
Avarla
Are you kidding me? I was a bit meh about the book, but the last 30 or so pages? What's going on? Where did that come from?

Maybe it's the genre, as I haven't read too many cozy mysteries before, but this was absolutely not for me. The protagonist seems too dull while actually supposed to be smart (or maybe it's her "rebellious" character). The story didn't seem to progress much. And although the initial quest was solved, all the info Rose uncovers while trying to find Axton somehow didn't accumu
Misty Dietz
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't read a lot of humorous mysteries, but I am so glad I took a chance on this one! Not only does Austin's main character offer up some freaking hilarious observations, but many of the secondary ones do as well. Ma's comment about Rose looking like "ten miles of bad road" had me literally LOLing. It certainly wasn't the only time either.

The next thing I loved about DD&DE was how I felt like I was in the main character's skin. Austin has deep Point of view nailed. I was actually kind of
Greg
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well fist off let me say that this book was something out of the norm for me to read. I was looking over some of the giveaways and the cover struck me. I must say that the artwork on the cover is awesome!

Now for the book itself. I was very surprised to enjoy this book as much as I did. I tried going into it with an open mind since I normally don't read much in the way of mystery or those with a female main character. I really got into this book. At the beginning I wasn't really pulled into the
Ian
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Rose's best friend shows up at the diner where she works, he's jumpy and looking nervous. He asks her to look after his backpack and then promptly disappears. Rose finds herself investigating which brings her into contact with a bunch of less than reputable characters.

The women in this book are great. They are honestly captivating. The men unfortunately lack depth and are really kind of odious. I quite enjoyed the book...but the male characters took a bit of the shine off it.
Diane Vallere
I loved this book! So much so that before I updated my GR status I hopped on Amazon and bought the second in the series. Rose Strickland is one of my new favorite characters and I'm thrilled that she's got more adventures on the horizon.
Sibil
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
One star os just for Sullivan and I'll read the next one just for his sake.
The book is not bad and Rose grows a lot as a character. She has a lot of good traits, she's loyal to her friends and she's indipendent, and I liked this a lot.
I liked her friends, too, because she may be poor money speaking, but she's rich in friendship and that's wonderful.
And the reading is not boring, but it's not so good or so captivating. I was expecting more from this book, more fun, for example... I can't say in
Stephanie
4.5/5

Rose Strickland, former rich girl turned waitress/part time college student, doesn’t quite know what she wants to do with her life yet. Despite her disapproving and disappointed snobby parents, she’s pretty content while she figures things out. Life is okay at the diner, working with her best friend Roxy, though less than exciting… until her other best friend, Axton, disappears after leaving her with his backpack and a mysterious hard drive inside. Soon, her life is turned upside down as sh
BJ
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This was my first win in a giveaway and I thought this book was really good. I really disliked Rose's family, but I think you are supposed to hate them, it makes Rose and her odd bunch of friends even more likeable! Her friends include Ma, who owns the diner where Rose works; Roxy who works with Rose at the diner and is a really strange dresser; Axton, who is missing for most of this story which creates a big part of the mystery, and a couple of computer nerds. Rose comes from a family with mone ...more
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i LOVED this book! I've read a few mysteries and while this one isn't what i would call "action packed", it still moved at a good pace and kept you guessing. The relationship between rose and sullivan is another HUGE plus for me. i never expected an attraction between her and the bad guy but i'm so glad the author wasn't afraid to go there. sullivan is not by any means evil so this is a relationship that could always happen in my opinion. he is shady and involved in some questionable dealings bu ...more
Lacey
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this beauty through the Goodreads Giveaway and I have to say I would have definitely bought it if I hadn't. Great characters, interesting plot, and a good story all rolled into one. Teri wrote a fun mystery and I truly hope that when it comes out on July 17th, that others will buy it , read it, and hopefully enjoy it as much as I did. I truly hope Teri writes another book with these characters.

I recommend this book 100%!
Julie
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery

I just finished Diners, Dives & Dead Ends, and all I can say is "Wow!". My favorite kind of mystery is one where I didn't see the end coming, and this one definitely delivers, with the added bonus of a great cast of characters and several intriguing relationships. I am very excited about seeing how things develop in the next book!
Elizabeth
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
I won this book from one of the giveaways on Goodreads... I was immediately hooked on the story, which was a very fast-paced mystery... I found it hard to put this book down, and I was blown away by the ending!
Lynda Koenig
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was a fun fast read with a twist at the end I wasn't expecting.
Alyssa
The writing did too much telling and not enough showing, with very little descriptive detail. Good news is the writing style of this series improves greatly by the third book! The mystery plot of the book is fun and surprising.
Oksana
Rose Strickland, 24 years old, comes from a rich and snobby family. Her mother is controlling pretty much every aspect of her husband’s and her two daughters’ lives. While the older sister Jacqueline is more than happy to oblige, to follow whatever life path her mother chooses for her, Rose is not that passive. She doesn’t want to go to the college her parents paid for, but prefers to find something different, something to appeal to her interests.

But such kind of disobedience is not something he
Maria
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I rated this 4.5 out of 5 Stars.

A waitress turned sleuth, a dermatologist with a secret and a smexy hot criminal mastermind are just a part of the fun in Terri L. Austin's Diners, Dives & Dead Ends, the first book in the Rose Strickland Mystery series. With a large dose of comedy, likable characters, and snarky dialogue, Ms. Austin's story captured my attention and never let go. Reading late into the night, there were times I thought I'd fall out of bed due to laughing so hard.

Former debutan
Laura Chapman
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Action-packed from page one with unexpected twists and turns along the way, Terri L. Austin's Diners, Dives & Dead Ends offers plenty of intrigue for fans of mystery -- and a little romance.

Rose Strickland is a 24-year-old who is working at Ma's Diner and taking a couple of classes at her community college while she figures out what she wants from life. Formerly a child of privilege, her life circumstances are different than the ones her parents planned for her.

Life already off track, it goe
S.M. Blooding
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was another one of those books that caught me with the cover. LOL!! OMW! I love it! I knew by that cover that I should expect quirky snark with a side of interesting characters. That’s EXACTLY what I got!

Rose is a very sassy, snarky heroine, but not in the way that other heroines are sassy. She feels like the real deal. She wasn’t the bad ass that swooned at the sight of the first cute guy. There were hot guys, don’t me wrong. But, boooy, when she makes up her mind to do a thing, get. Out.
Lisa
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First of all, this just happens to have been published on my birthday. So right off the bat I HAD to read it. ;)

Diners, Dives & Dead Ends isn't just an adorable cover that's extremely eye-catching... it's also an adorably-entertaining and edge-of-your-seat type drama. The mystery aspect of it was totally addicting. I was flip-flopping between "who I thought done it". And with an ending such as this one, you're bound to have your mouth hanging open, starting at the pages like I did. A+ for Te
Can't Wait 4 22 Jan 07, 2013 05:36PM
  • Portrait of a Dead Guy (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #1)
  • Cropped to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #1)
  • Buried Leads (A Nichelle Clarke Crime Thriller #2)
  • Other People's Baggage (Three Interconnected Mystery Novellas)
  • Double Whammy (Davis Way Crime Caper, #1)
  • Lowcountry Bombshell (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #2)
  • The Ambitious Card (An Eli Marks Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1)
  • That Touch of Ink (Mad for Mod Mystery, #2)
  • Forgive & Forget (Love in the Fleet, #1)
  • Artifact (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #1)
  • Malicious Masquerade
Terri lives in Missouri with her family. She loves to hear from readers. Drop her a note at TerriLAustin.com.

Rose Strickland Mystery (4 books)
  • Last Diner Standing (Rose Strickland Mystery, #2)
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • Diner Knock Out  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #4)