Start by marking “The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company” as Want to Read:
The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company

The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company

Now a decade after the Four Steps to the Epiphany
sparked the Lean Startup revolution, comes its sequel…
The Startup Owner's Manual

The Manual incorporates 10 years of learning and best practices
that have swept the startup world. It:

Incorporates the "Business Model Canvas" as the organizing principle for
startup hypotheses
Provides separate paths and advice for web/mobile pr
Published 2012 by K & S Ranch

To ask other readers questions about The Startup Owner's Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Startup Owner's Manual

Bob MacNeal
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is dry and formulaic, but it has one basic insight that's worth repeating: don't bother making anything until you discover & understand who's going to buy. I gave it 3-Stars because it's not an inspiring book. However, if you're considering bootstrapping a product or company, this is a slam-dunk, 5-Star must-read because it will save you years.

Many aspiring entrepreneurs fancy themselves as undiscovered geniuses, but the reality is that bootstrapping a product or company is much m
CAC
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The text I use for my class. Not perfect (e.g. doesn't emphasize competition, risks and category and concept economic viability enough) but still the best entrepreneurial guide I have found so far. If you don't feel like wading through the text book, try Udacity.com and stream a series of short ENTR lectures, also done by Blank.
Joshua Pitzalis
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the best business book I have read till date.

It effortlessly dismantles the bullshit idea of a good entrepreneur as a modern day Indiana Jones hacking their way through a jungle of self-doubt armed only with an iron clad will and a penchant for making the right decisions at the right time. This books recast my understanding of the ideal entrepreneur as a scientist, methodical and precise.

The book outlines exactly what to pay attention to through each of the four stages of turning an idea
TarasProkopyuk
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Мощнейшая книга!!!

Недавно прочёл более раннюю работу автора "Четыре шага к озарению". Теперь же дошла очередь и до "Стартап. Настольная книга основателя". В принципе должен сказать, что последняя книга усовершенствованная старая. Да и в новой версии спустя годы сделано множество поправок и автор сделал акцент на цифровой бизнес.

Чтобы снова не повторятся читайте о книге здесь - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Если не читали "Четыре шага к озарению" можете смело начать с этой книги. Если ж
Tadas Talaikis
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
OMC, boring as heaven, real life has no "step by step instructions". Like from Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days: "Second system may be years late and fixes none of the first system problems."
Peter
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Startup
The Startup Owners Manual is a wonderful inspiring and informative book on how to start your entrepreneurial career. It doesn't cover the logistical or administrative tasks but it does focus on the most important aspect of how to achieve customer adoption and retention. In their terms how to discover customers and how to validate them. While every aspect of establishing a business is important, such as legal, finance, resources etc. if you don't have a path to customers you don't have a b
Tom
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Blank, Steven Gary, and Bob Dorf (2012), The Startup Owner’s Manual: The Step-by-Step-Guide for Building a Great Company, K and S Ranch, Inc. K&S Publishing Division. This is a brilliant book about a new approach for entrepreneurs to build lasting companies. It includes a four-stage model Steve Blank made famous called customer development, which complements the traditional product development model. Customer Development is comprised of four processes: 1. Customer Discovery: Who will buy my ...more
د.أمجد الجنباز
الكتاب الأهم في التخطيط للمشاريع الريادية
يحوي خطوات توجهك لتبدأ فكرتك الصغيرة، ثم تكبرها تدريجيا وبشكل مدروس إلى أن يتحول أعلى مشروع قاءم

ومؤلف الكتاب بروفيسور مشهور في ستانفورد، وله الكثير من الدورات المجانية أن لاين حول بدء المشروعات الصغيرة
Nathan
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Great companion to The Lean Startup and Business Model Generation. I found it to be more useful in B2B application than in B2C. The edition of the book I have, First Ed/5th printing, has both B2B and B2C content and the way to two are presented in succession within a single chapter does not make for the best read. But the author states early in the book that it is not meant to be read straight through, rather used as a reference - thus the name.

In any event, it's a great book on the subject - pr
Barry Graubart
Simply THE best book on product strategy and market entry for startups.

I follow the customer development method closely in bringing new products to market.

My only criticism is that the book could have used a good editor. Steve writes more like a blogger than a book author and he frequently repeats concepts. But, that's a minor annoyance considering the value this book provides.

If you're a product manager or a leader of an early stage company, buy copies for your whole team and use it.
Nate Desmond
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book provides an amazing level of detail on running a successful startup. Perhaps more important than the 400+ pages of reading though, the checklists in the back can be pulled out as needed for specific startup tasks.
Frederick
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great reference guide for startup owners.
Tim
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Essential reading for startups. Gotta thank my friend Tiang Cheng for recommending it to me. Wish I read it a long time ago ;-)
Viktoriia
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is an amazing book! I am about to see how it works in practice.
Adhi
May 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was a waste of time. Lean startup is a mindset, this approach is just to create a fad creator for the authors to generate more interest in the courses they offer. The premise that somehow within a few days you will have a great business model is an insult to every startup out there who have spent countless hours getting things right. A real business takes time to think through and most pivots happen organically not within a few days.
Dragify
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: startup
The bible for startups in addition to "Lean Startup". Steve Blank makes a lot of very good points about startup growth and culture, i.e. what makes startups succeed and what makes others fail. He also goes into significant depth on what you and your business can do to minimise the risk of failure. Great read. 5 stars.
Angel Arturo
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it and the checklists were useful but I think a lot of the content is repetitive. I suggest reading The Lean Startup for the principles given and then just skimming the checklists and ideas according to your product.
Kim
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book needs to be edited again. There are numerous typos and errors throughout the text.
Ricardo Cabral
Too much focus on customer/market discovery and validation, so it misses many steps on how to build a great company.
Todd
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's like Twilight of the Idols for business approaches.
A revolutionary yet practical method for violently growing a business.
Jurgen Appelo
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: _startups
Required reading for startup founders.
Alvaro Aliaga
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Un MANUAL PASO A PASO de la creación de startups, totalmente recomendable.
Peter Fedichev
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
business manual bla-bla-bla
Danny Shemesh
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The startups owner's manual is a fantastic, must-read book for all wantrepreneurs out there.
Applying the techniques shown in this book will help you develop an extremely beneficial mindset, and work on your next product in an almost-scientific fashion.

I can summarize the book to the following points:

* Prepare a set of assumptions that surround your idea - mark the riskiest ones
* Try disproving your assumptions first using market validation - ask people, understand your market
* After you're feeli
Jawad Sajwani
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a great book for startups and entrepreneurs needs better orginizaiton though and it will be more amazing book
Luis
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just like Lean Startup, just for the fact that anybody having read it will have a big edge over anyboady that hasnt, you need this book if youre building a start-up, specially if its a digital product. ...more
Khalid Alnaqbi
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended for all entrepreneurs :)
Manuel
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es realmente un manual de 640 páginas en formato de bolsillo. Es definitivamente un libro muy extenso, diseñado, supuestamente, para llevarlo encima "en caso de emergencia emprendedora".
Es un libro muy recomendable si quieres hacer lo que dice el subtítulo. Mil veces mejor que el inservible libro "El método Lean Startup" de Eric Ries y, diferente y complementario al "Generación de modelos de negocio" y "Diseñando la propuesta de valor" de Alex Osterwalder.

En las primeras páginas el autor te ind
Geoff Noble
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am cheating a little here as there are three books in this edition and I have only read the first of the three. Having said that, from what I can tell the remaining two books are more specific than the first book which is a generalist's version of the Start-up Owner's Manual. Okay on to the review.

So the title sounds boring. No one really wants to read a manual. Having said that I am quite relieved that the book wasn't titled "10 Steps to Follow When Launching a StartUp which Will Mean You Wil
Mohammad Rauf
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Good concepts and great insights around understanding customers prior to committing serious resources. However, I find it repetitive with unnecessarily long checklists and 'concept manufacturing.'

This is a 200-page book stretched to 600-pages.
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
  • Making It Right: Product Management For A Startup World
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • The Startup Playbook: Secrets of the Fastest-Growing Startups from Their Founding Entrepreneurs
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
Put to a vote, I might have been chosen “least likely to succeed” in my New York City high school class. My path has taken me from repairing fighter planes in Thailand during the Vietnam War, to spook stuff in undisclosed location(s), and I was lucky enough to arrive at the beginning of the boom times of Silicon Valley in 1978.
After 21 years in 8 high technology companies, I retired in 1999. I sta
“Start by asking yourself, “What insight do I need to move forward?” Then ask, “What’s the simplest test I can run to get it?” Finally, think about, “How do I design an experiment to run this simple test?” One” 3 likes
“Rule No. 1: There Are No Facts Inside Your Building, So Get Outside.” 2 likes