Start by marking “Booker T: From Prison to Promise” as Want to Read:
Booker T: From Prison to Promise

Booker T: From Prison to Promise

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
As a six-time world champion, TV commentator, and holder of over thirty-five major titles in WWE, WCW, and TNA, Booker T. Huffman knows what it means to fight. He learned long before he entered the ring, when daily survival was a fierce battle.

Booker T: From Prison to Promise details Huffman’s struggles from his youngest years. Losing his father at only ten months and his
Published September 1st 2012 by Medallion Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Booker T, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Booker T

Dawn
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Autobiography and memoir are brutally difficult genres to pull off. It seems easy--it's your story, so you just tell it like you're talking. But there's a razor thin line you have to walk: sound like you, exactly like you, so that I can hear you talking to me on the page, but don't be boring or rambly.

The solution is usually to bring in a professional writer to clean up the language and make a cohesive narrative. You need a writer who is willing to disappear from the page and let the subject te
Dana
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
While it is a interesting story to the start of Booker T's career, and the type of life he lead growing up, and even his time in prison, I wish there was more of his wrestling life. This is begging for a second and maybe even a third book. Hopefully, we won't have to wait long.
Ray Daley
Oct 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Very Misleading, don't get this book thinking you'll learn more about the start of Bookers wrestling career.

Because you won't.

Apart from who trained him (Ivan Putski, a twat apparently) and a few people who gave him breaks here and there you don't realy learn much about his wrestling career as the book focuses on his childhood and formative years BEFORE he became a wrestler.

I'm not saying he didn't have an interesting life before that but I was expecting to learn more about his career.
Kathryn Hahn
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
Amazingly positive despite extreme hardship. Great story.
Lance Lumley
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found this book at a library book sale, and got it to add to my wrestling collection, however, this is not a wrestling book. As the title states, the book talks about Booker's childhood growing up being around drugs, gangs, and the loss of his mother at a young age. He gets involved with stealing money from Wendy's restaurants, and is faced with jail time.
The book is interesting in reading all of the trials Booker went through at a young age, and (as fans would know), ended up overcoming the s
Davy
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Most books about the lives of a wrestler focus on their life inside of wrestling while offering a little bit of back story. this was not the case in this book. The is mostly about Booker T's childhood and late teen and early adult years. From losing his mother and being bounced from home to home to ending up in prison and deciding to change his life for the better. It ends with Booker's beginning in the independent wrestling scene and being invited to wrestle in WCW. Leaving us readers with anti ...more
Nickolas Jarosh
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is very enjoyable. It's not very long or very dense, but it's a fun read nonetheless. There's not a whole lot about Booker's life in wrestling, but rather it focuses on his life leading up to getting into wrestling. Well written, and all of the stories are interesting. It had some added depth for me because I live and grew up in the Houston area, and therefore know most of the places mentioned in it.

Overall, this is a nice easy read that you'll love if you know of wrestling or of Book
Trevor O'Reilly
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. It showed how you go from having no family, food, or money to being a famous person that kids look up to. This book also shared how he didn't give up even though he went to prison. A lot of people who go to prison end up going back multiple times. Booker wasn't like those people; he turned his life around and made a good living.
Melissa
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Great look at a man who overcame a bad start to make his life better. Would have like more detail in regards to his life for the past 10 years. Stopped at his break into wrestling, which seems odd since it was published in 2012.
David Preedy
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is like a one punch knock out. short and hard hitting.
seriously though this book is amazing but it's also way to short when you think of everything booker went through before he got to wcw.
Travis Benton
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book is begging to made into a film. Hollywood is dumb. Booker T’s real life is far and wide more interesting than the crap Hollywood shovels. It’s not so much about wrestling as his crimes and adventures. It’s an exciting book.
Donna Lewis
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quite interesting. We never know what people have to go through to get to where they are. We often forget famous stars have a background to overcome also. I was proud to read about a young black man with all the odds stacked against him, MADE IT!
Ryan
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wrestling
This was a quick read but a very enjoyable story. I can't give it five stars because it only goes up until the time Booker signed with WCW. I look forward to the next installment covering his time in WCW, WWE and TNA.
Trent Zelazny
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fantastic. My only complaint is that it wrapped up a bit too quickly.
Jnagle4
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it
A decent overview of Booker's life before wrestling. He has a compelling and inspirational story, but From Prison to Promise is a fairly bland sports biography. You could finish it in hour.
Brenden Vandermark
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
it was a very good book anyone that has to come over the emotional odd of imprisonment and has succeeded it is a moving book and i tell people it is a good book to read.
Dawn Wells
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Book is about his early years and prison.
Allen
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting look into the life of a man on his way to becoming a wrestler.I look foward to the hopeful sequel to this book,named" WCW i am coming for you"
Daniel DeLappe
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a well written and interesting story. Have always been a huge Booker T mark. One of the better written wrestling books around.
Jason Jaghori
  • Walking a Golden Mile
  • The Hardcore Truth: The Bob Holly Story
  • Lita: A Less Traveled R.O.A.D.--The Reality of Amy Dumas
  • Ric Flair: To Be the Man
  • Rey Mysterio: Behind the Mask (WWE)
  • Heartbreak & Triumph: The Shawn Michaels Story
  • Batista Unleashed (Wwe)
  • Hardcore History: The Extremely Unauthorized Story of the ECW