Start by marking “Lifeboat No. 8: An Untold Tale of Love, Loss, and Surviving the Titanic” as Want to Read:
Lifeboat No. 8: An Untold Tale of Love, Loss, and Surviving the Titanic

Lifeboat No. 8: An Untold Tale of Love, Loss, and Surviving the Titanic

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  1,381 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
When the Titanic started sinking, who would make it off alive? The two cousins who had been so eager to see their first iceberg? The maid who desperately tried to escape with the baby in her care? The young newlyweds who’d booked passage despite warnings not to?

One hundred years after that disastrous and emblematic voyage, Elizabeth Kaye reveals the extraordinary, little-k
Published March 17th 2012 by Byliner Inc. (first published March 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lifeboat No. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifeboat No. 8

Zainab Shah
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Here's the thing; this book lacked emotions. The writing didn't allow one to think that the people on the ship were in any sort of danger- that they were actually dying. It was more like 'oh oops we hit an iceberg gotta go now oh and btw women and children first. kay'. So yeah, not good.
Abbey
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this short read. The lives of the passengers on the Titanic amaze me. I would live to go back in time & see the Titanic in all it's glory & feel the energy aboard the boat as it set sail. I'd get off the ship on day three though. ;)
Katherine Coble
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bargain-books
Ugh. The subtitle for this is "an untold tale yadda yadda". This particular version of the tale may have been technically untold but it's the same story with the same story beats as every other Titanic tale in the last 40 years.

Only bother with it if you want to read
--random details about the ship (it had a squash court)
--random details about the amount of food
(100,000+lbs of butter!)
--random details about the cargo (live chickens and opium!)
--some gossip about a very rich person
--some detail a
Nenette
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a close look at who were there, what happened before and after she sank, what happened to the passengers even years after...Focusing on a select group of passengers - those who found their way in Lifeboat No. 8 - the author did a great job, obviously going through an extensive research, citing several references in an almost four-page bibliography. However, it isn't merely reportage; it is story-telling with a heart.

In the fictional Titanic novel I recently read, I marveled at the author'
J.M.
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good minute look at the survivors in one particular lifeboat from the Titanic. A lot of the time, you find yourself rereading the same stories over and over again about that horrific night, but this one added insights into new characters I hadn't heard of before. Great for those interested in all things Titanic (like me!)
Chris
A kindle single, retelling the story of the Titanic while focusing on the passengers who ended up in lifeboat 8. Told vividly. Even if you have read Walter Lord, you should check this out.
Ishmeet Singh
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Kate paints a picture of that fateful event so very beautifully. I really felt that I was one of the passengers. She tells the stories of the few survivors who made it on that lifeboat with such compassion,understanding and reality that I really felt I was actually on the lifeboat myself.
Mahira
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A fair account of history's most devastating maritime disaster.
William Jones
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As the one-hundredth anniversary of the Titanic disaster approaches, I find myself drawn anew to stories of the ship and it's passengers. I've watched movies, documentaries, and read books detailing the voyage. After the explosion of popularity triggered by the movie in the late '90s, I figured all the stories that would be told had been told already. Rarely do I stuble upon anything Titanic-related that doesn't feel like a rehash.

I've never felt so swept away by a Titanic narrative as I was by
Carole P. Roman
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well written and detailed account of one of the most famous ship disasters in history. Written from the point of view of the survivors in one lifeboat, it is a scary account that humanizes the wreck though the eyes of the people in the middle of it. It read almost as though they were being interviewed by the author. Kaye captures all the horror, devastation, and despair as people's lives were forever changed. After living through 911, I feel she evokes that instant when one realizes the percepti ...more
Love Lie Acebuche
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: experiential
I mourn for all the non-survivors of the history's greatest maritime disaster. All throughout my reading experience, I can feel how horrible and heart wrenching the incident was. I say I was emotionally affected and the whole thins was unimaginably traumatic.

They say the best way to relate to history is to let yourself get involved in it somehow. And this book has done that thing to me. As if it bring me back the time and I seem to witness the whole thing through the accounts of the survivors.
Sean Kennedy
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Doesn't really offer anything new about the Titanic, nor does it present anything in a new manner. Also, it felt particularly lifeless.
Jamie
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Short and not nearly detailed enough. Meh.
Kishor
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't learn anything new, but this book had lots of little stories that offer a brief glimpse into the lives of the passengers on board the Titanic that night. However, despite the author's attempts, it's hard to feel the loss, the emotion of the event. Somehow, the book's matter-of-fact narration takes away from the experience.
Zach Spiker
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was good short story read. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking to read a short book with lots of detail and information. This book was about the titanic, and who survived and who didn't. The passangers all seemed super friendly and the vibe of this book was happy(except for when it sank)
Rotem
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book
Kc Chapa
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I needed a quick book and this was a good one. I didn't know the story of the Countess Rothes.
Kunal Bansal
Jul 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ibooks
Wow, what a sham. Didn't even know why i started this book. Probably being a huge Titanic fan, thought this would provide some moments of experience, people took in journeying the biggest vessel of its time. But was utterly disappointed. The fable was just not written fluently, neither it had any more relation to Titanic's sinking than the founding of cockpit black box in an aircrash investigation.
The book is about some random people who get together at Lifeboat no. 8 on sinking of the Titani
Susan
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a short, but interesting, read about the sinking of the Titanic and the people who boarded Lifeboat No. 8. By taking one particular lifeboat, the author manages to tell the story of the ship through the eyes of a cross section of people who survived and those who helped board those particular passengers. It begins with the reactions of various people who were awake to feel the ship hit the iceberg - ranging from concern to excitement. What is surprising is how different people reacted. O ...more
Kimberly
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A REMARKABLE STORY...

This was a wonderful book about love, courage, loss and resiliency. It brings you deeper into the lives of a few men and, more than a few, extraordinary woman who found the courage and strength to do what needed to be done at a moment in time when most would be paralyzed with fear.

I enjoyed becoming a part of the story and learning about relationships, friendships and love stories that I hadn't known about before now. When you learn of a story that was real, with people who
Graceann
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Elizabeth Kaye takes the story of the people in one specific lifeboat, No. 8, and tells what happened to them when Titanic went down on April 15, 1912. That's the beginning, middle and end of the story, pretty much. The problem is, this ebook release is so short that there's no time to explore with any depth what happened to them after the sinking. You get a bit of an idea, but not in-depth research.

The story leading up to this is oft-told. We know that Titanic struck an iceberg very late on Ap
Michael
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
41 degrees 46' N. Longitude 50 degrees 14' W., North Atlantic(p.49) the final resting spot of the Titanic. A short interesting read about the people who boarded lifeboats as the Titanic is sinking, specifically Lifeboat No. 8. Rather than trying to cover the whole Titanic catastrophe she focuses on these survivors and the heart wrenching story they went through to survive this catastrophe. I like how the author got right to the point of the book as each survivor explains the sinking of the ship ...more
Nitin Dangwal
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful rendition of one of the most heart breaking story ever - Sinking of the Titanic.

To have a story collated from bits and pieces, and to put it so coherently together, is a marvel in itself. Remember it was the time when not everything was recorded for posterity to marvel. Very unlike today where even the most trivial of things can be recorded by the click of a camera.

Plus the book brought out how great leveler life is. The king and the pauper, all vanished. The big and the small, the si
Diana
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with an interest in Titanic
Finished this in one two-hour sitting because it's only 70 pages long. I'm fascinated by all things Titanic, and this was an interesting view into one group of survivors. It was written in such a matter of fact way, in third person, almost like a news account, that it eerily had more of an emotional impact on me than if it had been written in a more sentimental style. There are so many Titanic stories out there that it seems no more new stories can be written. That's the case with this short sto ...more
Cait
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think this book had a lot of potential. First off, I got this for free for my Kindle off Amazon.com, so for a free book, I really can't complain. It's a quick read, about 70 pages, and took me under an hour to finish. The premise is quite interesting, focusing on a group of passengers (mostly first class) who traveled in the same lifeboat following the ship striking an ice berg. The stories that are discussed are interesting, however the account feels rather disjointed. You never get to really ...more
Amanda
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked this up because it was free and it was short. And also because I am interested in the Titanic. For some reason I keep reading and watching anything that comes up about the Titanic because I want more information. One day I am going to realize that there really isn't anything more to know. People continue to speculate on what happened behind the scenes but the fact is that we will never know. And when people start speculating and putting it out there as fact it makes me wonder what else ...more
Kim
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is amazing! It is written from the perspective of many of the survivors who got into the first lifeboat. The author did an amazing amount of research on interviews and stories these survivors told. There was so much detail in this book that was new information to me. For example, the Countess, one of the richest and most notable people on board was also the most calm, determined, and worked the hardest to ensure survival of her boat mates. I started and finished this book in an ho ...more
Michele Benchouk
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This short little story was interesting and told more about the Countess of Rothes. I wonder at how accurate the facts were, given that there were conflicts with other things I've read about the sinking, but I believe the author intended to present an accurate picture. Focusing on the women on the Titanic was a new take. I can't help always hoping as I read that the ending turns out differently, with fewer tragic fatalities. So, in that sense, this book drew me in and made me feel for the people ...more
  • The Night Lives On
  • The Rescuer
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • Titanic - A Survivor's Story
  • The Other Side of the Night: The Carpathia, the Californian and the Night the Titanic Was Lost
  • The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors
  • The Fearless Mrs. Goodwin
  • Ghosts of the Abyss: A Journey Into the Heart of the Titanic
  • Trapped On The Titanic
  • Lost Voices From the Titanic: The Definitive Oral History
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • Titanic Survivor: The Newly Discovered Memoirs of Violet Jessop Who Survived Both the Titanic and Britannic Disasters
  • On Board the Titanic (I Was There)
  • Voyagers of the Titanic: Passengers, Sailors, Shipbuilders, Aristocrats, and the Worlds They Came From
  • The Discovery of the Titanic