Start by marking “10 Futures” as Want to Read:
10 Futures

10 Futures

3.1  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Best friends Tara and Sam confront ten separate, possible futures for humanity over the next hundred years.
Published April 2nd 2012 by Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about 10 Futures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Futures

Jenny
May 17, 2012 rated it it was ok

Ahh, I so wanted to love these stories, but alas... Each short is set in a different year - twenty, fifty, a hundred years from now - and features the same two teen characters, Sam and Tara. (Pryor has obviously read about quantum mechanics' many worlds theory.) For me, linking each story through these two characters grew old fast. Rather than grow, Sam and Tara remained two-dimensional set pieces throughout. Their job, it seemed, was simply to lead readers from one chunk of info to the next an
Sofia T. (♥ Dimitri Belikov)
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read for uni!
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
So very, very enjoyable.

Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.
Alex
Nov 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Going into this book, I thought it would be something interesting and entertaining to read. Turns out it was just the opposite. To me it was slow and boring, but of course... that's just my opinion.
Izzabelle Taualofai
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10
I want to read it please
Phoebe
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
The concept of this book was interesting and could have made for a great read; however, the execution lacked in a few areas.
I found that the characters of this story seem very flat. Their backgrounds or personalities weren't really looked at much at all and the only thing I have really gathered about Sam is that he likes art and for Tara I can't remember much other than that she is 16.
Most of the concepts for the ten stories had potential, however I think each setting and situation need more o
Elspeth LaMorte
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
One of the main things that I loved about this book was the concept behind it. Ten short stories, featuring the same two characters, covering a variety of possibilities about the future.

I've been a big fan of Michael Pryor ever since I read the Laws of Magic series, which was of a very different tone to his other series. A lot of this was because the format was short stories rather than a series, but I felt a little bit like there was a slightly more serious tone to it.

The stories are well writt
Elaine
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Michael Pryor's 10 Futures follows the lives of two best friends, both teenagers, one boy, one girl, but not romantically attached. The book contains 10 possible scenarios for the future of both the world and the friendship as it might appear within the specific future contexts. I thought this was a wonderful boook - it doesn't read like short stories but rather as a set of possibilities for connection and disintergration. The personalities of the two main characters both change and remain consi ...more
Christian West
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-2013
Ten short stories set in ten different futures. Each possible future revolve around two friends, Tara and Sam. Whether they are surviving from a zombie-style apocalypse, living in Antarctica after the sea levels rose, or attempting to just be friends in a society which separates men and women, they retain their same basic abilities and skills, but have to use them in totally different ways depending on the society around them.

This doesn't read like a book of short stories, and the familiarity of
Pam Saunders
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ten possible futures, from 2020 to 2120; two characters, Tara and Sam; one (mostly) overcrowded world. Each story had me just wanting more and often I wished the book has just focused on one, but it is the possibilities which this book is exploring. Just what will our future hold? Sam and Tara are consistent in each story and their friendship and trust firm but because it is just a taste of the future we don't get a chance to know them in depth. My reading has most stories tending toward a neutr ...more
Teagan
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
its a 2.5

its wasnt a terrible book...saying that i got about half way through it and was like IM CONFUSED!
it has great ideas and features that make it an interesting read. the distopian futures where a great spin on life...BUT i didnt get why it kept jumping from one future to another! just when i was starting to get into the new future i wass taken out and into another one making it abit confusing.
i would like to read this again maybe in the future its definetly something id try again!
Renae
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is like listening to a small child tell you a story, over and over. It has a few people that are in it every time, but the rest keeps changing.
Each chapter is about Sam and Tara. Some seem to kind of match up and mention small events that happened in other chapters, but they get weirder and weirder as you move through the book.
Lyn Battersby
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: awards
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I will be rating this once the AAs are announced.
Tegan
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is an alright read. The stories lack depth and are very brief, however a good read for young readers as themes and motifs are very obvious and can lead to great class discussions. You will begin to get into a story and then it will end.
Rebecca Dunstan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some stories were interesting, others just plain boring. Agree with another reviewer who said the characters were two dimensional, there is no consistency or continuing themes.
Richard
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
writing in the present tense should be banned!
Rachel
Shelves: uni-books
What a fun book!
Beth
Sep 16, 2015 added it
It was slow the chapters always ended on cliffhangers and it was just plain stupid.

Tara and Sam are generic and half the time you couldn't if they were brother and sister or best friends
Tania
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Reading this one quickly as others want to read it. Book 38 for 2012.
Thomas Leek
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was ok. I didn't really like it that much.
Cailey Monaghan
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
The concept is interesting but none of the futures really grabbed my attention, so it was sort of just going through the motions for me.
Brandon Mitchell
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of my fave of books. Brillaint
Naomi Scarlett
Taya
Jan 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michael Pryor's bio

I was born in Swan Hill, Victoria. I spent my childhood in country Victoria and Melbourne before moving to Geelong at the age of 10. I lived in Geelong until I went to university in Melbourne after secondary school.

I currently live in Melbourne with my wife Wendy and my two daughters Celeste and Ruby. I’ve worked as a drainer’s labourer, a truck driver, a bathroom accessories s
More about Michael Pryor...