Start by marking “The Cartel” as Want to Read:
The Cartel

A.K. Alexander

The Cartel

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
What began as an innocent love affair for one young woman, Marta Peña, in Costa Careyes, Mexico in 1969, sets in motion a series of events that spans the next thirty years. This is the story of South American drug lords Antonio Espinoza and Javier Rodriguez, and their violent quest for power. In a sweeping family saga, we meet the women who love them and the children they ...more
Published 4 by D'Vine Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cartel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cartel

Stephanie
Looooooooooooooong, so so long and lots and lots of drama. I am surprised ANY one was alive by the end of the story, to be honest.
Way too much heartache. I know that kind of life can't always end in joy, but THAT much is too much.
I don't really know how to feel about any of the story, so I am rating it a 3. I didn't hate the story, it kept my interest, but i can't say i quite loved it either.
Angie
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A little lengthy , but an excellent read . The characters are so interesting and the entire book is " edge of your seat " . LOVED this book ;-)
MadLoveBookBlog
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was all over. Too many characters too many different stories. The back and forth was confusing and misguided. Written in the third person was very difficult to follow and EVEN SO, i couldn't put it down.

I expected more blood, more sex scenes, but the drama and the twist and turns made up for what i felt was lacking.
I like this genre a whole lot. So as long as the author keeps writing organize crime or mob stories, i will keep reading them.
Michelle
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started out great but I can't make myself finish it..
Isabel Rivera
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love to read this book and between reality and fictional strong story:::

Like to read those theme and dark stories. Guide you through the lives organized crime family,not only the criminals parts but the betrayal in their own family members .Highly recommended😂
Kara
The Cartel began in 1969 and followed the lives of the Espinoza and Rodriguez families over 30-years. Antonio Espinoza “was the head of one of the wealthiest and largest coffee plantation families in Columbia. He’d taken over the empire at a young age, following the deaths of his mother and father in a boating accident. Antonio had expanded that empire by also dabbling in illegal businesses, in which Javier” Rodriguez was his partner.

By day, Javier was the governor of Jalisco—a state in central
Thom Swennes
Blood isn’t thicker than water when money and power are in the mix. The relationship of two Colombian brothers from Cali started showing cracks when at a very young age Emilio Espinoza witnessed his older brother Antonio seduce the girl that had declared her love to the younger brother. Emilio maintained a hatred for his brother but kept it secret, waiting for the right time to wreak his long pent up revenge. Antonio was in a drug dealing partnership with a long time friend from Mexico, Javier R ...more
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
The Cartel by A. K. Alexander follows the lives of Antonio Espinoza and Javier Rodriguez, South American drug lords, and their families. The novel covers their lust for power and women, and the brutal lengths they will go to in order to succeed in business and life. This is a melodrama in narrative form - and like any soap opera has multiple characters with connections to even more characters and all of them are entangled in various dramas.

I thought I would enjoy The Cartel, especially since it
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Meet 2 powerful South American drug patrons Antonio Espinoza and Javier Rodriguez, their families, business and hunger for women and power. The story begins with a love affair for a young woman, Marta Peña, in Costa Careyes, Mexico in 1969 and moves on during the next 3 decennia. In a sweeping family saga, you'll get to know family secrets, children killing their parents, women striving for their own rights and position among these corrupt and mighty men. The Cartel has some intriguing twists to ...more
Levina  C.
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: otakus, transvestites, and Bronies
Shelves: novels
The Cartel is a family story that achieves the paradoxical feat of being idealistic, sentimental and romantic, with a happy ending, while also containing rape, murder, pedophilia, and drug wars. My guess would be that the idea for this book was conceived while someone was watching The Godfather on an LSD trip.

Drama is entertaining for sure, but not as the main focus of the story. As least not for me. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see how it may be for some others. Mafia wars, the backdrop o
Michael Burhans
Jessica Park was giving away copies of this and said it was really good, I have complete respect for her opinion so I entered the running for one of the copies. Boy am I glad I got one of the copies, really good is a huge understatement.

This was a book filled with both really good character development, and a lot of VERY believable action. Every time I thought I had figured out where it was going, it took an unexpected, but utterly believable turn. the end was nothing at all like I expected, b
April
I really thought I would like this book but I was sadly mistaken. This was far from my typical genre. I like to step out of my reading comfort zone sometimes. It seems this was a step too far. I thought the story over done and violent. I never was one for the Godfather movies so I should have know this would not suit me.

There was a lot going on in this book as it spans 30 years. Loads of intrigue and drama.

Putting all that aside the writing is very well done and the characters interesting. The p
Tamara
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cartel

As this story goes through all the family and children bringing them closer together learning of the betrayal of a brother to hurt an entire family
Cheryl
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this story a lot. It was like reading a movie. It is a story of 2 men who are in business with each other. They are friends. Closer than friends. The story follows them through their legitimate (sp) businesses and other not so good businesses like drugs and people. It shows them with their daughters and wives. Lovers and other relatives.

I like to find a "moral" to a story. To me this one shows how choices you make come around in full circle. This showed how lots of the decisions that
Tina Clark
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story. It kept you going. A lot of drama. The story started out in 1969 in Mexico with two young brothers who got involved in drugs dealing and became big. The story has a lot of revenge, drugs and tragedies and very emotional. It brings you with two families Antonio Espinosa and Javier Rodriquez with their drama. Then there's an innocent young maid that was In Love with Antonio and she believed in his promises until she found out he was married and ran away. A great crazy story.
Rachel
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a heavy book, but a great story. There are some tough moments, as most would expect from a book about a drug cartel, but the story-telling is excellent and everything is wrapped up at the end (no questioning about what happened to any particular characters or sub-plots, which I always hate).
H.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-spec-fic
The Cartel follows a Colombian cartel family and their allied Mexican political family across decades. And I appreciate its aggression in tracking multiple characters across decades, but the story tends to lurch around, too much happens off-screen, and we never really become invested in the characters.

Disclosure: I received an e-copy of The Cartel through NetGalley.
Rick LaFond
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

Love this author tons. Great story, fast paced, well written. I doubt in real life that the people in this story would turn out happy but it is possible. I enjoyed all the twists and turns. You have to read this one.
Jan Reed
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's frustrating that you can't give half stars in Goodreads. This book was better than a 3 but not quite a 4, although I caved and gave it a 4.

Interesting plot with lots of twists and turns, although it seemed a little over complicated in the end. That said, I still enjoyed it.
Lola
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really great! The author keeps the suspense continuous, throughout and the novel is consistently interesting as it delves into the lives of different people. Would've gained a 5 if there was a wider range of vocabulary. But all in all, I would recommend this book to Anyone!
Jay
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did not think I would like this book as much as I did. Found it to be a real page turner as you want to find out what will happen next with each character. Highly recommend.
Lisa
DNF honestly maybe I will try again another time but I couldn't get into it. I tried, just wasn't feelin it.
Karen Dowe
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Definitely not what I expected. I could hardly put it down. Romantic with a hint of suspense. A good read.
Connie Hamby
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really. Great book

I really loved this book about family and what they mean to each other if you like good books you will love this one
Jessica Lopez
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time I read a book by this author. Loved it! Awesome...kept me on edge!
Rebecca Hollingsworth
Dec 07, 2012
Kristy
Mar 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fifty Shades Supp...: ARR # 123. - THE CARTEL by A.K. Alexander 6 107 Oct 31, 2016 07:59PM
  • An Unproductive Woman
  • The Men Who Sleep With My Husband
  • The Escort
  • The Nookie Ain't Free
  • Confessions of a Wicked Stepmother
  • Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)
  • The Blood Puzzle (Redemption, #3)
  • A Storm of Love, A Novella
  • Money Is The Motive
  • Silent Cries 2
  • Daily Dose of Determination
Writing under the pen name A.K. Alexander, Michele explores the darker side of storytelling. With her daring, frightening and suspensful novels, A.K. Alexander writes for those readers who like to be thrilled and kept in the dark up until the very end…

A.K.’s gritty thrillers keep you looking over your shoulder as the suspense mounts with each turn of the page. Mingling her love of horses with a wo
More about A.K. Alexander...