Start by marking “Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version

Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  19,444 Ratings  ·  879 Reviews
Two hundred years ago, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm published the first volume of Children’s and Household Tales. Now, at a veritable fairy-tale moment—witness the popular television shows Grimm and Once Upon a Time and this year’s two movie adaptations of “Snow White”—Philip Pullman, one of the most popular authors of our time, makes us fall in love all over again with the imm ...more
Published November 8th 2012 by Viking Adult (first published September 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm, please sign up.
Nike Sulway The best modern English translation of the 'original tales' (i.e.: the 1812 and 1815 editions) is by Jack Zipes. It was published by Princeton…moreThe best modern English translation of the 'original tales' (i.e.: the 1812 and 1815 editions) is by Jack Zipes. It was published by Princeton University Press in 2014, and is highly affordable.

You can purchase the book online from Book Depository here: http://www.bookdepository.com/book/97...(less)
Nike Sulway You may be referring to two of the so-called coloured fairy books edited by Andrew Lang. The books were first published between 1889 and 1910, and…moreYou may be referring to two of the so-called coloured fairy books edited by Andrew Lang. The books were first published between 1889 and 1910, and include a green book (first published in 1892) and a red book (first published in 1890). There are excellent reproductions available, from the rather expensive hardback editions, to ebook versions.

Goodreads has a complete list here: https://www.goodreads.com/series/5528...(less)

Maciek
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The mountain and the valley never meet, but the children of men, both good and bad, met one another all the time.

-The Two Travelling Companions

I grew up with fairy tales: first my mom read them to me when I was still too little to do so myself, and then I took the big volumes in my own little hands and laboriously pored over each page, living among the princes and princesses, in worls where there were still giants and everybody paid attention to not mess up with witches, death itself walked the
Flor
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al fin después de meses y meses he terminado este libro. 💪🏻

No me demoré tanto porque fuera aburrido,sino porque cada cuento lo fui intercalando con otras lecturas. Y eso que son casi 60!! 😱

Me ha gustado mucho, sobre todo porque están narrados como fueron creados en un principio y no tienen los cambios que han ido sufriendo con el paso del tiempo.
Además el autor se ha tomado el trabajo de buscar el origen de cada uno, y ha citado al final de cada cuento una breve explicación. 👏🏼

Mis preferidos fu
Trish
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

These two brothers are solely responsible for most of the world knowing a number of fairy tales. Their names: Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm, two Germans. They were neither the first nor the last to collect stories, slightly adapt and publish them as a collection. However, for some reason, their changes managed to enchant people and before long, theirs were THE Hausmärchen to have and know.

Philip Pullman is himself an accomplished author who has apparently been heavily influenced by classic fairy tales
Kyoko SWords
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reseña completa aquí: http://tinyurl.com/h5qhgpr
5 de 5 estrellas ♡
Este libro es una joya que efectivamente es para todas las edades; a pesar de todo lo crudos que puedan ser algunos cuentos, otros son perfectos para los más pequeños.
Ratifico que, de lejos, los cuentos fantásticos de los hermanos Grimm son mi universo literario favorito: los príncipes, brujas, maleficios, caballeros y princesas son mi debilidad.
Pullman nos da la posibilidad de no sólo disfrutar de la tradición original de los cue
Trudie
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I came to this edition of Grimm purely as an accompaniment to Shaun Tan's The Singing Bones a wonderful book of sculptures that illustrate these tales. I must admit to initially being more inspired by the illustrated history of Grimm fairy tales than the fairy tales themselves. However, Philip Pullman has done a nice job collating and "sprucing up" 50 of these stories.

I guess your position on his stylistic choices may depend on how much of a Grimm scholar you are. A brief comparison of several
Audrey
I grew up loving fairy tales, especially those by the Brothers Grimm. I had them narrated on records, and I’d sit or lay on the carpet and just listen and let my imagination take me away. I took the stories at face value, and never questioned how odd they are, or why things happen in them the way they do. It was just how it was.

Now, as an adult, it’s wonderful to be able to get reacquainted with the stories, and to read some I’d never heard of before. In this new translation and version, Philip
Matthew Rhodes
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is an odd one.

I love Philip Pullman yet I'm not a fan of any Grimm Tale I have read prior to this book. I give this a low rating mainly because it was painfully hard work to read this book at any great pace. Grimm tales are so formulaic, they sometimes don't feel like real stories. Every woman in every story is either so astonishingly beautiful that it could bring a statue to tears or is a witch/evil on epic proportions/monstrously ugly. There's a forest. There's always a fucking forest. Ki
Lee
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Started so strong I thought I'd burn through these but things fell off a bit a third into it, or maybe I just got too used to the transparent language, the patient anonymous tone, the ever-present series of threes, the same ol' motifs. Courage, bravery, goodness, cleverness are rewarded with gold, princesses, and living happily ever after. Greed and evil are often punished by decapitation! Loved it when ultraviolent and weird, or when birds and fish talked, but sometimes the words blended and ke ...more
Anastasia Fitzgerald-Beaumont
Not Just So

I have my favourites just as I am sure you have yours, those tales, told in childhood, which have a lifelong resonance. My grandfather was a particularly good story-teller, both in fact and in fiction, meaning that he could tell true stories and tall stories with equal verve and conviction!

Those I liked best he told me time and time again. I loved them, so much so that I would not tolerate any deviation. Like Josephine, Rudyard Kipling’s lost daughter, for me the tales of a grandfat
Arielle Walker
Pullman strips the traditional fairytales right back to their core. This was a lovely read, and the little pieces at the end of each tale, where the author gives a little information about the original tale and any changes he may or may not have made, gives real context to the stories, making them even more interesting.
Liviania
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am a fairytale geek. I am crazy about them and have been since I was a wee child. I keep various anthologies on my shelf, including the complete Grimm, some Russian tales, and Jack Zipes' fantastic French fairy tale translations. When I heard Philip Pullman was coming out with a collection, I knew I needed it.

FAIRY TALES FROM THE BROTHERS GRIMM: A New English Version lives up to my expectations. The selected tales cover both the extremely popular ("Cinderella") and the obscure ("The Stolen Pen
Jason Pettus
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this review, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

So here was a quick read I couldn't pass up when randomly coming across it at my neighborhood library the other day -- a new compilation of around 50 classic Grimm Brothers fairytales (some famous but most obscure), done for the 200th anniversary of these tales' first publications, edited and sometimes sl
Leah
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fine, but who is this book for?

Pullman's versions of some of the Grimms’ folk stories are well enough written and his little summaries at the end of each tale gives a bit of background to where each story originated and the different versions that have been told in the past. But from the moment I received the book and discovered that, to my amazement, there are no illustrations, I couldn't help but wonder - who exactly is this book for?

Pullman has updated the language but not the stories so we
Mei-Lu
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This review is for the audiobook version of Grimm Tales for Young and Old written by Philip Pullman and narrated by Samuel West.

I have a history of insomnia and lately I've been doing this thing where I turn off the lights at bedtime and listen to an audiobook. It's very relaxing and if I don't fall asleep "on time", I don't have as much anxiety about it. (You know that whole insomniac game of, "if I fall asleep right now, I'll get 7 hours of sleep...") Also, apparently it's good sleep hygiene b
Paige
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.

I was so excited when I saw this. I love fairy tales (especially fairy tale retellings!!), and I am a fan of Philip Pullman's work, so I thought that this would be totally awesome.

As it is, these are not retellings of Grimms' fairy tales, they're just...tellings. He basically copy & pasted 50 Grimm tales and then added a couple paragraphs' commentary at the end of each. Occasionally he says something interesting, but mostly you could do without it. I recently recovered my edition
iska
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RETO 2016; 1
Hafsa Sabira
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Everyone likes fairytales but in my case it was almost an obsession while growing up. I liked to search for books that had fairytales from different parts of the world and as a part of this scavange I was familiar with Grimm's fairytales from long ago. This book was more like a review of my previous knowledge with the inclusion of additional info.

What I liked about the book was that it has a separate section after each story (with a total of 50 stories) where the writer mentions the source of t
sj
Review originally posted here.

I requested this book from NetGalley early in October.  I knew thought I didn't have a chance at being accepted (because the bigger publishers usually reject me [this isn't me looking for sympathy, it's just that I get denied all the time]), but figured I'd try anyway for a few reasons.

1.  It's Philip Effing Pullman.
2.  It's faerie tales.
3.  I am EXACTLY this book's target demographic.

Several weeks went by and I heard nothing, so I assumed that meant I was going to
Lisa
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fairy tales remind me of that game telephone. The one where a person starts off saying something and as that phrase gets passed from person to person it changes until when the final person says it out loud it is nothing like the original. I feel that this happens quite often with fairy tales. There are so many variations for each tale with every author or storyteller throwing in their own twist.

Philip Pullman takes a slightly different approach. He has researched many of these tales from differ
Jessie
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
L O V E D I T . This collection of fairy tales was fun and satisfying. Please go out and get it asap.
Diana
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro fue algo.. decepcionante. Estaba encantada de poder leer los cuentos de los hermanos Grimm pero no fue asi.

A pesar de que el autor de este libro dice que leer estos cuentos es facil y rapido (si lo son) por la manera en la que estan narrados para mi no lo fue tanto.

Creo que al ser cuentos infantiles y narrados para niños y yo al no ser tan niña(? fue lo que hizo que no me gustara.
Siempre pensaba, uhh tengo que terminar el libro, no me daban ganas de agarrarlo y terminarlo.
Creo que h
Jim
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not 5 stars cause some of the stories are a little bit meh, but if we gonna ignore those few its a great read.

I knew that the Grimms tales were a lot darker than the ones that we have been told as a little kids and im really glad that i had the chance to read them. There are stories in this book that i cant believe that they've been told to kids. If you are not familiar with the Grimm brothers tales, i think this book its a very good way to start.
Nikki
I was hoping for Pullman to be a bit more audacious with this, I think. Instead, most of the stories are simply and directly retold from the Grimms' versions: some of them are slightly tweaked and clarified, but Pullman seems to actively pull back from putting his own fingerprints on the stories.

That, combined with the repetitive nature of such stories and the fact that I have read them all elsewhere in similar collections, made this a less than impressive read.
magdalena dyjas
i think i wanted this book to be more pullman and less grimm...
N.J. Ramsden
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The tales themselves are fine, I've always like the Grimms' gatherings. The problem here is Pullman.

It's unclear exactly what Pullman has done. He pretends to some level of academic credibility, but fails to provide it. I get the feeling he's read a few versions of each story and cobbled together his favourite bits into something he finds personally satisfying, but his notes are rather smug and self-serving. He claims that these stories are not "texts" in the way a modern novel is a text, implyi
Maxine
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have always loved fairy tales. Even before I could read, they caught my imagination in a way that other stories didn’t and, even as a child, I preferred the pre-Disney stories, the ones in which evil stepsisters were danced to death or locked cupboard contained Bluebeard’s murdered wives. As I grew older, I read them less but they never were far from my heart as I developed the same love for fantasy. And that, of course, led me to Philip Pullman’s Dark Materials. And now with this, his Fairy T ...more
e.c.h.a
Setelah membaca versi aslinya, agak nggak yakin ceritanya bisa dikonsumsi untuk anak-anak. Pantas saja, buku ini mengalami perubahan judul dengan menghilangkan "for children".

Membaca buku ini layaknya membaca essay karena di setiap akhir cerita, Pullman menambahkan informasi seperti siapa yang mengadaptasi pertama kali atau perubahan yang dibuat Pullman.

Kisah karangan Brother Grimm bisa dibilang "dark", sempat kaget pas baca kisah aslinya Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gratel. Kita sudah
  • The Fairies Return, or New Tales for Old
  • Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales
  • My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales
  • Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #1)
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears
  • From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers
  • Once Upon a Time Machine
  • The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen
  • Fearie Tales: Stories of the Grimm and Gruesome
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
  • The Golden Key: And Other Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm
  • Clockwork Fairy Tales: A Collection of Steampunk Fables
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov
  • The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye
  • Errantry: Strange Stories
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
  • Sacré Bleu
    $8.24 $12.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“Finally, I’d say to anyone who wants to tell these tales, don’t be afraid to be superstitious. If you have a lucky pen, use it. If you speak with more force and wit when wearing one red sock and one blue one, dress like that. When I’m at work I’m highly superstitious. My own superstition has to do with the voice in which the story comes out. I believe that every story is attended by its own sprite, whose voice we embody when we tell the tale, and that we tell it more successfully if we approach the sprite with a certain degree of respect and courtesy. These sprites are both old and young, male and female, sentimental and cynical, sceptical and credulous, and so on, and what’s more, they’re completely amoral: like the air-spirits who helped Strong Hans escape from the cave, the story-sprites are willing to serve whoever has the ring, whoever is telling the tale. To the accusation that this is nonsense, that all you need to tell a story is a human imagination, I reply, ‘Of course, and this is the way my imagination works.” 20 likes
“The fairy tale is in a perpetual state of becoming and alteration. To keep to one version or one translation alone is to put robin redbreast in a cage.” 11 likes