Start by marking “What Happened To Polly” as Want to Read:
What Happened To Polly

What Happened To Polly

Carmel Hamilton makes a selfish decision, resulting in the kidnapping of her little sister, Polly. The situation is further exacerbated when the girls' mother sustains dreadful injuries, following the reappearance of a man from her past.

The blame for the disintegration of the Hamilton family weighs heavily on Carmel's young shoulders. Shunned by her father and older sister
Published January 15th 2014 by Jennifer Hanning (first published December 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about What Happened To Polly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happened To Polly

Jonathan Hill
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Polly is a small child who one day goes to the fair with her elder sister (also a child). She gets tied to a railing while the sister goes on a fairground ride. When she gets off the ride, Polly is gone. It's a frightening premise, and sadly a topical one too.

The author creates a very believable cast, especially the three sisters involved. They each have their own distinctive character and this is important as the reader jumps from character to character.

As we find out what happened to Polly, we
Ann
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book . About a child that was taken and many years later the truth comes out about how and what happened that day. Her sister felt it was her fault for many years. The whole family was divided apart . Can they all come together and make a life of the family that was back then. Surprise no one knew who the other one was since they havent seen or talked to each other for many years.
Dorel
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read by Jennifer Hanning. It kept my interest from the beginning to the end. I found the book sad but some things in the book really shocked me as well. I really loved the ending. I would definitely read more books by this author.
A.B. Shepherd
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I've always been intrigued by the stories of the Beaumont children, and other children that go missing without a trace so I was intrigued to see how this author would handle a similar situation.

This was an interesting read, exploring how this tragic event (events) impacted a family.
Eileen
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.. The complexity of this family is unreal. The main character is so complex and is a joy to get to know.
Liane
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly good read, with lots of unexpected twists and turns. A very "hard to put down" book. Invoked so many different emotions, loved it.
Karrie Scarbrow
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-downloads
I loved this book. I found that i was kept in suspense all through the. Did not even guess the ending. Recommend this book to all my friends. Fantastic read
Ruby
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
very gripping mystery tale with very believable characters. definitely worth a read.
Heather
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Carmel makes a selfish decision as a child that haunts the rest of her life. While she is supposed to be watching her younger sister, Polly, she decides she wants to go on a carnival ride. She Tues her sister to the fence with a hair ribbon. When she gets off the ride, her sister is gone. After searching the carnival, she rushed home to find that her mother has sustained severe injuries caused by a man from her mother's past. Her mother is now in a catatonic state. Her father and older sister se ...more
B J Burton
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of those novels which is very hard to review without giving away important elements of the plot. The title might give the impression that this might be a gruesome account of the sufferings of a kidnap victim, but be reassured – it isn’t. It is a well-written, thought-provoking and involving account of the long-term aftermath of the snatching of a young child.
The characters are convincingly drawn. The plot twist at the end came as a complete surprise. Recommended.
DianaAitch
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to enjoy this book for some reason - maybe the cover pic! lol I got it as a freebee some weeks ago and kept putting off starting it, but once I did I found it riveting.

It's a real lesson in "don't judge a book by the cover"!!

I really enjoyed it
Lillie
This is definitely not a predictable book following a typical genre plot. It's really the story of a dysfunctional family. Although it's not exactly a happy ever after ending, it's a satisfactory ending.
Sabina D'agliano
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a page turner.... characters are well developed and story is strong. I think most peps who love character driven books would enjoy the psychological twists this book gives you! Loved it!!!!
Margaret Boehm
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery.
Isabelle
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: littérature
Bon livre aux personnages très attachants.
Ce n'est pas tant un thriller, qu'un drame familial à l'intrigue habillement tortueuse et dont la fin se révèle surprenante.
Marilyn
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good

Good

the story is one that shows how the hurtful words and treatment of families can damage a person mentally.the ending is a surprise.
Juniper
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer is a great storyteller. You can't go wrong with this book. A rollercoaster of emotions that you will love
Angela Randall
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book

I. Really enjoyed reading the book. I can't wait to read the second book. I would recommend it to anyone
Rebecca
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good story ... liked the character development. Interesting journey with a good level of resolution at the end.
Connie Dial
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book and Designs on Daisy both very enjoyable. Waiting for the third book now . Read the second book first but it didnt spoil my enjoyment of both books.
Jax
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Started reading this on Kindle on November 18th 2013. A story of guilt and family dynamics and a search for identity too. Definitely an intriguing read and a twist at the end.
Michele
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Very nice read.
Donna
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great story with a few twists. Highly recommend.
Rebecca
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
Slow initially but I guess 3*. Having read second before this might have made a difference.
g evans
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read

Not the best book I’ve ever read - that Centennial by Michener. But, a pleasant read none the less. An easy read
Kim (Time4Reading)
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
What Happened to Polly is a story about a woman, Carmel, who lives with the guilt of losing her three-year-old sister when she makes a selfish decision that results in the kidnapping of her sister. Although Carmel was only age ten at the time, she is shunned by her father, older sister and others in their community. To make matters worse, her mother is the victim of a terrible accident and sustains injuries that leave her in a vegetative state. Carmel is overcome with guilt and loneliness and sh ...more
Lynda Kelly
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This probably would have easily merited 5 stars as I really enjoyed the story but it has too many daft mistakes peppered throughout which is a bloody shame.
One sister was taking care of her younger sibling when she's kidnapped. Years go by and she's always felt tremendous guilt and sadness and wondered just what did happen to Polly. I liked the whole tale a lot. We get to know just how affected the whole family was all their lives by one little transgression. Very interesting.
However, there were
Melissa
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
What Happened has a great idea for a story, but I felt it could have been executed better. The pacing of the novel was off. It started off well, but there were many times where a fast-forward button would have been great.
Karen
Feb 11, 2013 added it
Shelves: e-book, drama
Carmel, a ten-year-old girl, takes Polly, her three-year-old sister, to a carnival, and Polly disappears. The story follows the lives of Carmel and the rest of her family as they live without the knowledge of Polly's whereabouts.
Issa
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I was pretty engaged in the story, but towards the end things started getting pretty unbelievable and felt forced.
  • The Aunt Sally Team
  • Chasing Innocence
  • It Started With a House
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • The Ice Marathon
  • Tangled Web
  • Fake Kate
  • Coincidences
  • Sign of the Times
  • Mass Murder (Giorgio Salvatori, #1)
  • Fluke
  • Cirkus
  • Vada Faith
  • Silver Justice
  • Gifts and Consequences
  • An Appointment with Murder (Sarah Woods Mystery, #1)
  • Shiver Sweet
  • Discovering Nowhere
Hello. I am a New Zealander who has lived most of my life in Australia. I worked in the software development industry for over 20 years before leaving to take up yoga studies and indulge in my first passion, writing. These days I enjoy a perfect balance between teaching yoga/meditation classes and creating my stories.

Although my younger years were rather turbulent, I have no regrets about the unfo