Start by marking “East of Orleans (East of Orleans, #1)” as Want to Read:
East of Orleans (East of Orleans, #1)

East of Orleans (East of Orleans #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  255 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Their worlds were different, but their desires were the same . . . Isabella McCoy, from the banks of the Chattahoochee River in Georgia, was as naïve as she was beautiful. Jacqueline Rousseau, the exotic New Orleans prostitute, was known for cruelly breaking men’s hearts while she emptied their pockets. Both with dark secrets of their own, running away from their pasts, to ...more
Paperback, 1st, 362 pages
Published February 12th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published January 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about East of Orleans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East of Orleans

Tona
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the depth of the characters. There was no clean line between good and bad with any of the characters. Each character had a flaws that with out the back story to each, I could have easily labeled as "hated".

I think that Julius was a different man to each of his loves. He seemed to be his true self with Jacqueline but could not marry her. With Isabella, Julius was what was expected.

I think that Isabella's character came off as weak because she was less of a fighter than Jacqueline. But wi
Beth
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
East of Orleans is a vivid tale of the two women, Isabella McCoy McGinnis and Jacqueline Rousseau O'Brien , who end up sharing the same man, Jules McGinnis (a poker playing/business man). Isabelle is the perfect white wife for Jules while Jacqueline is a black creole that works in a brothel. This story has love, betrayal, rape, greed, tragedy and even murder. Both women must find the strength to deal with the paths their lives have taken.

East of Orleans is not your typical romance. It will not
PacaLipstick Gramma
Dec 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: goodreads-win
This was a Goodreads Giveaway win.

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't buy this book!

I thought the dialog was terrible and inconsistent. It didn't seem to have a natural flow, and I can't wrap my brain around that everyone spoke near perfect English. The story seemed to drag in parts, and all the sudden there was a change ~ and no explanation! One moment someone was in the bedroom with their back to another, and the next they were sitting in the kitchen. What??? I even flipped back a page or
Katie
Mar 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
There was a lot going on in this book, too much in my opinion. The story jumped around from character to character with no real grasp on the passing of time. In the space of a chapter the book would fast forward several years, but would never really say that, you had to do some serious inferring. I enjoyed the fact that the characters made their choices and then lived with the bad or the good consequences of each, but they never learned from their bad choices and continued to make the same mista ...more
Mariareads
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am thinking romance, but more along the lines of literary southern fiction with a touch of southern gothic. Very detailed---a lot of layered, underlying meaning--good description of the "old south"and the hypocrisy of people. Very humorous at times as well as very clever in some of the author's use of verbage. Not a quick read that would be loved by most romance lovers and yet I could not putit down. I love the story, but it is not for everyone.Great Characters---IF you love Savannah and the ...more
Timea
Feb 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to this book, hoping it will bring me the mystery of New Orleans. Instead I feel like I got a half-botched story. I bought this book because the reviews were so good, but I could not wait to finish reading it; so that it would be over. I give credit to authors even if their literary techniques are lack-luster, but only because they tell a good story. But I feel this book lacked the story and literary merit.
Angie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an unsuspected surprise ! Picked this up for free on my Kindle and loved it .
I found the characters deep and well defined . I come to love most of them . The story is touching and believable . Well written and comes together very nicely . Perfect ending ;-)
May have to check out more by this talented author .
Ashley
This book was pretty good. Something I wish were a little different or other parts longer than others but overall really liked this book
Julie
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
A pretty good story, but the kindle version is riddled with punctuation errors and missing words or too many words... This is not a typical romance and I liked it for that.
Sandy
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-won
I received this book as a Goodreads ARC giveaway. This was a great book and I really enjoy it
Jillian
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I in my hands from Renee Irvin,and also one of the first books I have read about life in Southern Orleans. I bought this book for free on Amazon, not because it was free, but because the title attracted me to the book.

This book plays in a complex world of intrigue, drama, suspense, and politics. The story is about the main characters Isabella McCoy and Jacqueline Rousseau, telling you a life lesson: past events influence current and future life, as habits are hard to break
Alexa
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
WON ON GOODREADS

I’m really conflicted with how I feel about this story. I didn't like either of the main characters for most of the book and when I don’t like a main character in a story it’s hard for me to love the book no matter how well written or interesting the plot is. I felt that more time was spent on Isabella then on Jacqueline and because of that I just couldn't connect with her. Isabella was too self-centered and she really just frustrated me. Some of the bad things that happen to her
Terry
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable, easy to read, historical fiction book.

Set in the late 1880's in Georgia, this book is an epic "rags to riches" tale with more plot twists than a lazy river! This is not complicated literature and the book does not make a political statement -- but it IS a very enjoyable read with a straight-forward plot.

Fifteen-year old Isabella discoveres that she is pregnant, but she doesn't know whether the father of her baby is the man who raped her, or her boyfriend to whom she gave herself.
Francis Fesmire
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is the deep South in the 1880’s, a time when the South is still reeling from its bitter defeat in the Civil War, vainly struggling to live with post-war reconstruction. Meet Jules McGinnis, Rhett Butler reincarnated who has managed to transform himself from a Confederate soldier into a wealthy businessman by taking advantage of the broken South. Through arrogance and false conceit, he marries the woman he doesn’t love and loves the one he will not marry. Then there is Isabella McCoy, one whos ...more
Ashley
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Isabella McCoy's life falls apart after her fathers death. She is raped and ends up pregnant. Her mother and grandmother send her to an aunts to stay. With all this going on they also have to save their farm from being foreclosed on. Jacqueline is a prostitute looking for love in all the wrong places. Both of these women end up in the grasps of Jules McGinnis. One becomes his wife to save her families land and the other is his mistress but wants to be so much more. Secrets are unveiled. The past ...more
Moon Shine Art Spot ~ Lisa
East of Orleans by Renee Irvin held my interest from page one. This free ARC from goodreads took me back to the 1880's of the deep south where two different women found themselves deeply twisted in a plot of prostitution, drug addiction, gossip, out of wed child birth, and ultimately murder.

One woman raped and pregnant and another freed from prostitution by a man in love with her find themselves with something or someone in common. Although the book was interesting and intense from cover to cov
Book
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never heard of Renee before picking up this book. However I have to say, it was worth the chance I took. East or Orleans is an entertaining story with twist and turns that even I couldn’t imagine.

When I first started reading this, I planned on setting it down after the first couple of chapters. But before I knew it, a couple hours passed and I was a third of the way through with it in one sitting.

The story kept moving and didn’t have hundreds of pages of useless fluff that many other books
Rachel
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is a very interesting book filled with lust, romance, rape, and murder in the lives of two southern women-Isabella McCoy McGinnis and Jacqueline Rousseau O'Brien along the Chattahoochee River of North Georgia and Savannah, Georgia. The women were from different backgrounds but shared one man-Jules McGinnis, a poker player and successful businessman. Jules McGinnis could be kind, helpful and sometimes cruel.

The book is a descriptive, entertaining, fun read, and the characters come alive before
Betty
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review, read2012
I truly appreciate this complimentary signed copy of East of Orleans by Renee' Irvin that I received from the wonderful folks at Goodreads. What an entertaining read! I found this book difficult to put down as I followed the lives of two very different women in the deep south in the 1880's. Their lives become intertwined through the men they come to know. This novel has everything to make it a great read - love, lust, rape, greed, corruption, etc. Renee' takes the reader on a roller coaster ride ...more
~Charmer~the 1-click addict
The author clearly had GWTW in mind when she wrote this book. Jules, her Rhett and Isabella her Scarlett; she goes to Jules and offers to marry him so she can get money to pay off the mortgage on their farm and he says, like Rhett, I'm not a marrying man. He smokes cigars, gambles and hangs out in whore houses and he's way to old for her. The story was interestin but I feel like somethings where not explored enough. Her mothers feelins, Jessie's feelins, and what became of Mae? Oh, wait and who ...more
Jim Robert
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Right away the description intrigued me, I like books with a lot of depth to them, a lot of emotion and plenty of excitement, and this book seemed to have it all. I bought it off of amazon a couple days ago and read it all the way through, in one sitting. I absolutely love the characters! They’re unique, really easy to like and were written very well. I liked how the author put this book together, the storyline grabs your attention right away and the characters really pull you through to the end ...more
Dani Star
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Much like the other 5 star reviews on here I loved this book! I had never heard of Renee’ Irvin before but I am a big fan now! I love the setting and the tone of this book. This story is well written with an abundance of detail, providing a lot of great imagery! There were some parts I read over and over just because it was so …real. I like how the author created conflict between characters, while at the same time also giving each character their own inner conflict. This book has a lot of layers ...more
Alison
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I grew up in the South and love reading books that take place there and especially period pieces. You get the best of both worlds in East of Orleans. The author plunges you into the magical world that is the Deep South in the 1880’s. I was blown away by how the author made the story come to life. I felt like I was right there alongside Isabella and Jacqueline living through all of their experiences with them. I could not put this book down and I missed the characters the second I finished the bo ...more
Lynne
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! Renee Irvin has created a magnificent novel depicting the hardships of the true South after the civil war. This book is filled with memorable characters, passion and mystery. Isabella and Jacqueline are bound together for life through their love and hatred of Jules McGinnis. If you love Gone With the Wind you will adore this well written novel. I couldn't put it down!
Beverly
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a drawing last year, but I'm so far behind, I just now read it. I wish I had read it sooner now tho, because I really liked the book. The characters were so well developed I found myself liking all of them, even the bad guys. The mystery and suspense keeps you on the edge of your seat. I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good book with a little mystery, romance, and history thrown in.
Bookdiva
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a predictable or typical romance.Not for every romance reader. I loved it because I felt the characters were just so real in every way and I loved the story;it was teachable and had a lot of meaning. I could visualize this story taking place where as some....they are just "fluff" and I prefer more literary romance. I really felt the characters were very more developed than most and this was my main reason for the 5 star.I did notice a couple or three typos,but not enough to bother me.
The_amyam
Aug 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
I am currently only on chapter 8, however, this book thus far is one giant southern cliche. Perhaps I am not enjoying it as much as others because this is not my typical genre & I actually live in Georgia but folks, there is and has been more than one street (peachtree) in Atlanta for a long time. And a bed of magnolia leaves? ... More likely pine needles. Anyway, the story itself isn't bad, I just wish that writers could get a little more creative when they choose Georgia for their setting.
Jes
Jun 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was a Goodreads Giveaway win!

I had a very hard time following this book. It was all over the place, busy, and just seemed to have too much going on. I also was very distracted by the writing style, as it just didn't seem to flow for me and just seemed choppy. The story had potential, it just needs some smoothing out.

I would like to point out that the actual published for purchase book may be better if many of the mistakes and links were ironed out before it hit the market.

Teena
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I liked the characters and story line, but I felt that there was a little too much filler in this one. I'm an impatient reader, and the story started off really slow for me. The character development dragged on too long. I almost gave up on this one half way through. The story finally picked up, and then got dragged out again in the end. Other than that, the story was interesting. Just not great. Not bad for a book that was borrowed from the Amazon Prime library.
Kathy Russo
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
East of Orleans was interesting and suspenseful from start to finish.
The storyline moved along quite smoothly and the characters were well developed whether you liked them or not. The ending was heart touching sad & happy both I suppose,though I was left with a taste for more when I finished it.

A copy of the book was provided via Goodreads Firstreads in return for an honest review.
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN# HELP!!! 10 33 Mar 20, 2012 09:46AM
  • Another Dawn
  • With this Kiss
  • After The Ashes
  • His Dark Desires (Trevelyan, #2)
  • The Lady Series
  • Celtic Storms (Celtic Steel, #1)
  • One Mississippi
  • Sleeping In The Middle (Comfort Club)
  • Midnight Waltz
  • Edge of Time (Langston Brothers #1)
  • A Bed of Spices
  • Promise Me
  • Love Will Follow
  • Corn Silk Days
  • The Companion of Lady Holmeshire
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • The Last Honest Seamstress
  • Killer Cuvee: Walla Walla Valley
Born to a poker playing pilot and a Berry College English scholarship awardee,Renee' Stargel Irvin is no doubt her parents daughter.Not quite one year old, busy playing amongst the pots & pans in the kitchen, Renee' Stargel Irvin's mother asked her what she was doing.

"Using my imagination, Mommy!" she replied.

And she has been ever since. "East of Orleans," her first published novel, was create
More about Renee' Irvin...

East of Orleans (2 books)
  • Meli's War (East of Orleans, #2)

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland