Start by marking “The Spark (Extrahumans, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Spark (Extrahumans, #3)

The Spark

(Extrahumans #3)

Deirdre Burns White is an Extrahuman who can make fire with her mind. Once imprisoned and tortured by the ruthless Confederation Military Police, now all Dee wants is to bury the past and blend in. Her new life in First Landing is all about becoming normal: a regular job, a steady boyfriend, a nice apartment.

But just as Dee settles in the groove of her perfectly ordinary l
Published August 2012 by Candlemark & Gleam (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Spark, please sign up.
Susan Bigelow Hello! These books are all part of a series, the fourth and final one of which will be published this December!

TheBookSmugglers
Note: I chose NOT to include huge spoilers for the series so that anybody can read this post in which I try to tell you WHY you should read this series. You’re welcome.

Let me start by saying: wow. WOW.

I just can’t get over how good The Spark is. I’ve finished reading it a couple of days ago and haven’t recovered from the experience yet.

*****

Roughly, this is what happens in The Spark: Valen, roughly one year since events at the end of Fly Into Fire. Penny “Broken” Silverwing and Sky Ranger now ha
Rebecca
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I’m still not sure whether this was the end of a trilogy or not.

In favor: the lingering mystery of why Broken’s powers, well, broke is completely ignored and seems to be no longer relevant; we meet the grown up macguffin child from the first book; central characters end up back physically where they started; the precognitive who kicked this all off gets the last word as he writes the letter that kicks it all off.

Against: the events the precog is pushing everything toward still haven’t happened;
Lindsay Stares
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Premise: Sequel to Broken and Fly Into Fire. Dee has grown older, but still feels lost inside. She can’t control her powers or her life. The little settlement of former heroes on the planet Valen may have finally gotten the government’s attention, and soon no one will have a safe refuge.

In short, I don’t think this is a bad book, and big chunks of it were great, but overall I was left unsatisfied. Bit too much angst, bit too much dystopia in this one for me. Some great character stuff, but the v
Heidi
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5

Note: this is a spoiler free review I wrote for the series covering Broken, Fly Into Fire, and The Spark.

Every so often in a reader’s life they come across a set of books that makes their jaw drop. Not because they’re awesome, or surprising, or because they’re unlike anything you’ve read before, not even because they are so real. The Extrahumans series by Susan Jane Bigelow is all these things, but the jaw dropping results from the fact that they are absolutely criminally under-read. Yes, eve
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was my favorite book from the Extrahumans series. It was very character-driven, with most of the focus on Deirdre (who goes by Dee). Dee is an extrahuman, possibly the most powerful extrahuman alive. Many extrahumans have been killed by the Confederation, due to their threat to the crushing control the Confederation exerts on humanity. Dee can create fire with a thought and also has an intuition that provides her with extraordinary luck and protection in dangerous situations.

Dee has gone t
Lindsay Stares

Chio Duran
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow this was an amazing book!! (BTW I received this copy in a goodreads giveaway). I have always liked characters, plots, and everything that pretty much has superpowers and this one is simply amazing. The author manages to exploit the true essence of "extrahumanity" of the characters. This book focuses mainly on Dee and her power of "Spark" which is a badass ability to create fire (how awesome is that?!) Also she seems to be one of the strongest extrahumans they are left.

I also like the sense
Just A. Bean
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Still really enjoying this series. The depiction of life in a military dictatorship, and how freedom fighters can totally fail to find traction was especially strong here. The plot meandered a bit, and didn't seem to have any real structure past the adventures of one character over the period of a few years, but it was interesting and engagingly told enough that I didn't feel lost or bored. Though the plot did rest on one character not telling another something that I never believed that she wou ...more
Trinity
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
I liked it a whole lot. I'm glad we got to know Dee a lot better; she's a pretty cool person, and apart from her hair-trigger rage, she seems like somebody I'd like to spend time with in real life. We saw quite a bit of development in most of the other characters too, some for the much better, and some for the much, much worse. My only complaint was that the time jump was a bit jarring.

I hear from a pretty reliable source that there's a fourth Extrahumans book in the works. Can't wait!
Donna Huber
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if this was the end of the series or more is to come. It could go either way. I was a bit confused by the time jump towards the beginning of the book. Read the full review at Girl Who Reads
Justin Robinson
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
The lack of a throughline grounds the series in reality, which is a necessary thing when dealing with superheroes fighting a dystopian government 100 years in the future.
Pilars Scott
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just fabulous. I love this blend of post x-men superhero sci-fi. Lots of thoughts on the responsiblity of government and great power=great responsibility. Also, explosions!
Laura Zackery
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have very much enjoyed all 3 of the Extrahumans books and I sincerely hope there are more to come.
Alan
Sep 08, 2012
Katja
Sep 20, 2013
Wes Andrews
Mar 24, 2015
xd
rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2017
Jan 02, 2013
Lamss
Oct 14, 2012

Extrahumans (4 books)
  • Broken (Extrahumans, #1)
  • Sky Ranger (Extrahumans, #2)
  • Extrahumans (Extrahumans #4)