Start by marking “The Story of The Streets” as Want to Read:
The Story of The Streets

The Story of The Streets

Published March 29th 2012 by Bantam Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of The Streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of The Streets

Start your review of The Story of The Streets
Jimbo
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The first two Street albums were the soundtrack to my university days, as I'm sure they were to many of the people who are considering this book. There are very few albums I've spun more than these two in the subsequent 15 or so years.

Again, probably similar to many others, I didn't really get on with the third album and didn't bother buying the subsequent two due to my dissatisfaction with 'the hardest way...'

I picked this book up due to my fondness for 'original pirate material' and 'a grand
Joan
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sydney
Downbeat memoirs from hip-hop's reluctant hero. Nothing here is typical music-bio stuff; the writing's oddly heavy with melancholy, minimal on pretension and as usual Skinner's committed to honesty, if anything, above all. He doesn't spend a lot of time explaining the meaning of his lyrics which I think is wise as they've always spoken well for themselves. The insights for creative types are much subtler. He's big on theory and technique, and puts the success of songs like "Dry Your Eyes" and ...more
Yi Lyn
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mike Skinner's moving memoir covers everything from the history of garage to the creative process, menswear, mental health, and even manages to spill the tea on artists from both sides of the Atlantic. He is a compelling storyteller with a clear and concise voice, and breathes life into the mundane.
Justin de la Cruz
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought this at the same time as "Looking For Calvin and Hobbes" (which I just reviewed here), and I liked this much better. It's the story of one of my favorite musical acts of the last decade, The Streets. The group was in actuality just one person, Mike Skinner, and he spends this memoir describing his childhood, his obsession with music, his epilepsy, his obsession with fashion, his rise to fame, his obsession with drugs and alcohol, and other things.

Interlaced between the episodes of his
Christopher Langer
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Whether you've liked what he's done or not, Mike Skinner's musical voyage has been as idiosyncratic as pop music has seen. Insightful, self-effacing, and always honest (or at least seemingly so), Skinner's recounting of his decade as The Streets is a good as music books, autobiography, or nonfiction gets.
CHRISTINA
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amar Pai
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Good, but probably would be better if I was familiar with the albums past A Grand Don't Come For Free. Still, pretty good. Skinner is a good story teller and I enjoyed his take on the creative process, and his attachment to certain ideas of American rap and UK dance music.
David Nash
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
anyone from UK familiar with Mike Skinner should read this
Conor
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Adam Wright
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A excellent account into one of my favourite musicians of all time, although I’d of liked to of heard more about the music and its writing process still a good read
Edmole
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is interesting for many reasons. Mikey Streets is a very likeable man, which is a big part of what has sustained him as an interesting cultural figure well after he stopped selling records.

What I found particularly interesting about this book, apart from the gossip (The Chemical Brothers think Basement Jaxx are pricks! The Chemical Brothers fell out with Massive Attack!), was that The Streets spanned and helped foster the decade where two very interesting things happened in British
Karol Gajda
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't discover The Streets until the third album, The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living, by which point his popularity had already seemed to start to wane. In the US anyway. At least I couldn't find anybody in my social circle who had heard of or shown any interest in British rap in general, or The Streets in particular.

After The Streets project ended (5 albums, 10 years) I didn't closely follow what Mike Skinner (aka The Streets) was up to. This book was released 3 years ago? I learned
Dane Cobain
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well now, this was never going to get anything less than a ten, was it? Skinner is a bit of a character, you see – it seems like you either love him or you hate him, and if you’re reading this review then the odds are that you love him enough to be considering reading his book. Stop reading this review, and start reading The Story of the Streets instead.

It’s presented as ‘written with Ben Thompson‘, but you can tell that Skinner himself has done his fair share of the work – certainly more so
Sami Cormack
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether a fan of The Streets, the D.O.T, Mike Skinner, or not this book is well worth reading.

I personally have always be intrigued by Mike, enjoyed his music, his lyrics, podcasts, etc.

I admired that he never courted the media and didn't feel the need to protest when they painted a picture of him being a CHAV. He grafted and didn't ride the wave of hyperbole, nor allow magazines to style him in the way the public perceived The Streets. He wanted to do things his way and let his craft speak
Simon
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

'Don’t get me started on the Aphex Twin, though. He’s an absolute knob-jockey.’

Life’s probably too short to be reading the half-way autobiographies of middle-ranking British pop stars but having been given this as a slightly random present by a kind friend (who happens to be friends with Mike Skinner’s wife) I couldn’t not read it.

Not a lot happens, to be honest. Mike goes to Australia on his holidays, sits in his flat quite a bit, gets ME, plays some Xbox at Christmas, and it turns out he’s
Richie
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Hardcore fans of The Streets
Recommended to Richie by: N/A
I was very disappointed in "The Story of The Streets" by Mike Skinner. I am a big fan of Skinner and The Streets and was hoping for some insight into the genesis of the project, the process of writing and recording, anecdotes from a decade of touring and/or Skinner's philosophy on life and music. Instead, I got a glorified Wikipedia page in which Skinner name-checks some of his inspirations, gives a bare-bones play-by-play of certain bullet-points of his career and generally skirts over any sort ...more
Faffer
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Turn The Page – I’ll always associate this line with The Streets. I can’t say i always was a big fan of his music. I’ve never liked grime, rap, hip-hop music but i found his songs quite catchy and this is great.

For me it was very interesting why white geezer does some rapping instead of some Britpop, yeah that was my cliché of whole British Music and i was wrong. I found very interesting details about other bands like Oasis, Chemical Brothers, Kanye West, Arctic Monkeys etc., and it was very
Alex Sarll
Like Suede, the Streets made a revolutionary first album, an astonishing second and a really fun third - and then two clunkers. Like Suede, the story of what was going on in the background of those last two albums is a lot more interesting than listening to the bastards again. This isn't the sort of artist memoir where you necessarily come away wanting to be friends with the star - the constant self-examination would be a nightmare - but Skinner still confirms the impression he always gave of ...more
Aaron
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being a fan of the Streets early two albums almost exclusively, I wasn't sure to expect with this book. It read more like a textbook on creativity which I found to be very fascinating and well thought out. It jumps around a bit, but I think people who are interested in creativity will be satisfied with this book.

That being said, this isn't a sex drugs and rock n' roll book and there aren't too many anecdotes Skinner puts forward from touring. I was a little disappointed by that but no big deal.
Phil Tennyson
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mike skinner has been a personal idol of mine right from the beginning of the streets to present day in his new projects (The d.o.t and dj sets).

This book had me laughing frequently and made me constantly want read on to discover yet more skinner shenanigans. He's led an amazing life so far and I bet it's continuing much the same to this day. Don't let his suits foul you, underneath he's still the round faced polo wielding brummy we all know and love.
Graham Cawsey
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Started and finished The Story of The Streets by Mike Skinner within a few hours

Quite an enjoyable book. Particularly like the way he focuses on the parts of his life we are interested in. i.e. The Streets, his adult life etc. Many bios waffle on about the authors parents etc but not in this case. Though he does dutifully bring his family into conversation

Dave Bolton
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Massive fan of MIke Skinner's first two albums, and his Beat Stevie podcast, so bought this very soon after release. Enjoyable but rambling, it gave a good view of various aspects of his lead into music, the production of his albums and the lifestyle that surrounded it. I went and bought his next three albums just to check them out given the context of the book.
Rob Boffard
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Great artist, but Skinner isn't that much of a writer. Not of prose, anyway. Much of the book goes into his theories on life - there's not a huge amount of stuff about his actual career, and certainly nothing revelatory. Good for fans, but other than that? Nah.
Brandon de la Cruz
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Streets
Recommended to Brandon by: Justin de la Cruz
A solid memoir, although it has a definite ghostwritten/heavily edited feel to it. Skinner splits his time between the craft of each Streets album and discussing the larger philosophical lessons he learned along the way.

Definitely worth it for any fan of his music. I found it pretty inspiring.
Gary Fowles
Surprisingly average trawl through Skinnerworld. Just like The Streets it's strongest at the start and starts to sag a bit around the halfway mark. Let down by a real lack of depth about the actual records or any juicy anecdotes.
David Goonan
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok, nothing spectacular. An easy read. But not really that exciting or interesting. Maybe if you are a massive Streets fan or an aspiring music producer you may find this very interesting. But overall nothing to especially make time for.
Freda
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Funny geezer. Great first album, but not as great as it seemed at the time. Interested to learn the influence on classic how to screenwriting texts on songwriting.
Sam Stagg
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Despite the pretensions to narrative structure, he's clearly not a writer, but this is an interesting read nonetheless.
Simon
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting, engaging and informative self-analysis of Skinner's 5-album brush with fame.
Yvonne
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rock-n-roll
You get to a point in your life when you've been around enough people to appreciate that yore actually incredibly solitary by nature (Mike Skinner)

• Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times in Television
  • The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club
  • Kill Your Friends
  • Perfect Sound Whatever
  • Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda
  • Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire
  • Pinpoint: How GPS is Changing Technology, Culture, and Our Minds
  • The Book of Hidden Things
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four
  • The Whispering Muse
  • Wild at Heart
  • Stencil 201: 25 New Reusable Stencils with Step-by-Step Project Instructions
  • Rise Up: The #Merky Story So Far
  • Live At the Brixton Academy: A riotous life in the music business
  • Autobiography
  • Skagboys
  • Withdrawn Traces: Searching for the Truth about Richey Manic, Foreword by Rachel Edwards
Mike Skinner (born 27 November 1978) is an English rapper, musician, record producer, and actor, best known for the music project The Streets. (Wikipedia)
“I think everyone who does something creative has got some kind of flaw or insecurity that helps drive them to do what they do. As a general rule, artists value themselves quite low, that's why they want to add value by doing things. Weaknesses often become your biggest strengths. People with no insecurities don't tend to make very good art.” 1 likes
“The darker the shadow, the brighter the light.” 0 likes