Start by marking “By Sword and Star” as Want to Read:
By Sword and Star

Read Excerpt

By Sword and Star

Prince Tiran of Silverglen may be heir to the throne of all Asteria, but he's always felt more at home among the villagers, no matter how many lectures he gets from his father. But when the elk-lord Roden slaughters the royal family and claims the throne for himself, only Tiran is left to avenge their deaths and take his place as the rightful king.

His journey will lead him
Published February 2012 by Anthropomorphic Dreams Publishing (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about By Sword and Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Sword and Star

Dan Burgess
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had known of this story for some time, much to my chagrin, before reading it. In fact, I ended up with a free copy for reviewing. I can definitively state that I will be purchasing a copy with my next paycheck.

At first blush, it seems like a familiar tale. Bratty prince goes through ordeals and grows up to be a proper king. There's a dozen other tales along those lines. Some might compare it to such works as The Lion King or even The Emperor's New Groove. Doing so, however, would do this stor
Angela Oliver
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a well crafted example of a furry fantasy fable. The world is richly developed, the mythology established. The writing style is eloquent and lyrical. And most importantly, the characters are interesting. It has faint echoes of Redwall - the fierce squirrels, the brave rabbits but also a darker and more mature side. In particular, I liked the presence of the half-Awakened animals - the idea that animals could become intelligent in mind and spirit without becoming anthropromorphic appealed ...more
Friday
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A well-written, full adventure that was perfectly paced. Easy to put down and pick up again due to the plot always being coherent, but a book I didn't want to put down if I could avoid it. I would very much reccommend it to fantasy fans and fans of Redwall-- while it was reminiscent of Redwall, it defininitely had its own vibe, style, world, and maturity that.

On a side note, the wonderful, amazing dialogue was probably my favorite part of the book.
Sean Silva
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Before I start, I'd like to mention that I'm friends with the author. It's hard to avoid it, since my name is featured in the acknowledgements, but that's because I've been a fan and supporter of Renee's work for many years. And once again, By Sword and Star did not disappoint. It's just as good when I read it the second time (which I rarely ever do), and it proves that Renee is an exceptionally talented writer.

By Sword and Star is a fantasy novel set in a world of anthropomorphic animals and it
Ricky
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: other furs, anyone who likes fantasy
Shelves: favorites
I first found out about this book when it was featured on the Furry Writer's Guild blog's Book of the Month. The premise sounded interesting, and I was, and still am, new to furry fiction; so I figured I get the ebook version when I get the chance.

This whole novel was a just a fun adventure, and Hall didn't give an excessive amount of world-building to tell it. Even though there were a quite a few different locations mentioned: Silverglen, the Drays village, the wolf den, the plains of the Child
Scott
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-reviews
By Sword and Star is a story involving anthropomorphic characters. The main character is Prince Tiran, a unicorn of the royal family. The enemies that have taken his family and heritage from him are the elk lead by Roden.

The elk and unicorn characters seem to be pretty much human in behavior. The other species exhibit more animal characteristics especially the wolves and squirrels. I actually really enjoyed those two groups and the parts that they played. The wolves are a bit more primitive, li
Alice
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: furry, kindle
The unicorn prince isn't looking forward to taking the reins of his father's kingdom, but when his family is murdered and he is ousted from Astoria by elk usurpers, it's up to Teiran to fix things. His quest to gather an army takes him to the treetop world of the squirrels and the bleak, snowy territory of the wolf people.

I liked By Sword And Star very much - it has humour, romance and character development, in a detailed and delightful fantasy setting. I would say 'fans of Redwall will enjoy t
Franck Rabeson
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had some trouble with the story at first, mostly with the too convenient coincidences: characters who knew more than should be expected, characters who appear at the right place, at the right time… but between the plot and the solid worldbuilding, I read the second half of the novel in one sitting (the writer owes me a few hours of sleep!).

All in all, and considering that this is a first novel, I'd give it four stars and a half.
Chris Burton
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Liked the book and the cahracters, would like to hear more about how the animals came to be more than they used to be. Also would like to hear more about the cat and see if he will find any more of his kind, and about the the horses and why exactly they were only half gifted.
Jess Owen
Ceci
Woof :3
Anthro Fiction: By Sword and Star now available 8 20 Apr 13, 2012 07:11PM
By Sword and Star - General discussion thread 1 6 Apr 12, 2012 02:10PM
Goodreads Librari...: Same name, wrong person linked to in book info 2 149 Mar 26, 2012 12:41PM
Goodreads Librari...: Editions to combine 3 18 Mar 18, 2012 07:23AM
Renee Carter Hall writes fantasy and science fiction for adults who never quite grew up, with occasional excursions into dark fantasy, poetry, and stories for children and teens. Talking animals slip into her stories whenever they get a chance, and her work has been influenced by storytellers from a range of media, including Steven Spielberg, Ray Bradbury, and Jim Henson. Her most recent book, the ...more