Jump to ratings and reviews

Geese to a Poor Market

Geese to a Poor Market is a literary fiction set in the Ozarks in 1955. Rita Sanders leaves her cheating husband and returns to her childhood home. She lands a job at a honky-tonk on the outskirts of a dry bible-belt village owned by a retired navy petty officer. Rita's religious mother disapproves and accuses her of driving her geese to a poor market. With the reappearance of her estranged husband, the prodigal daughter discovers there is more than one snake in the garden, as her husband and mother conspire against her for custody of her son.

292 pages, Paperback

3 books1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for Pat Wahler.
Author 10 books167 followers
November 14, 2018
It's 1955, and Rita Sanders is leaving her cheating husband. She and her son, Wesley, are on their way to her parents in the Ozarks. It's time to start a new life. But will she find happiness or heartbreak?

From this springboard, readers are introduced to a wide variety of unique characters that range from the uptight upright to the downright dastardly. I very much enjoyed this trip back in time to a place where I could smell the wood fires and hear voices with the slightest southern drawl. Highly recommended!
Profile Image for Sheri Jones.
8 reviews
January 26, 2022
Great book with a look into life in the Ozarks years ago. Didn't particularly care for the ending, but all in all, good read!
5 reviews1 follower
October 25, 2018
It's gotta be HOwell county

Loved this quick read. Funny sad heartwrenching. This was thinly disguised... my home town. I saw all of this mentally... I miss home. Where I was raised ...just about a decade after this book.
Profile Image for Claudia Mundell.
211 reviews2 followers
January 10, 2016
Entertaining...full of good 1950's imagery like the Chesterfields my Grandpa used to smoke...also turns of phrases I have not heard in a long while.
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.