Start by marking “All My Love, Detrick (All My Love, Detrick, #1)” as Want to Read:
All My Love, Detrick (All My Love, Detrick, #1)

All My Love, Detrick

(All My Love, Detrick #1)

Set during the Holocaust, "All My Love, Detrick" is a family saga. It follows the lives of two families, one German and the other Jewish. They are bound together by a forbidden love that could destroy them all.
Paperback, Large Print, 612 pages
Published February 4th 2012 by self

To ask other readers questions about All My Love, Detrick, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of All My Love, Detrick (All My Love, Detrick, #1)
Roberta Kagan
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
When I was a child my mother had a black suitcase in the basement. She forbid me to look inside. When I was alone one afternoon I rushed to open the valise. Inside I found pictures and letters. The letters were written in a foreign language. Later I would learn that they were in German. I would also come to learn that my mother's entire extended family had perished under the Nazi Regimen and that these few items were all she had left of them. She had tried to shelter me, but it was not shelterin ...more
Steelwhisper
----------------------------------
ETA: I am absolutely fed up with having to justify my reviews about books like this to fans of the "holocaust romance/erotica genre". Have the nicety and stay on your own review space. Leave mine alone! Further comments arguing with my negative take of such dreck will be deleted.
----------------------------------

The author needs to book a 101-course in history and learn how to do research.

This is abusing the holocaust for a check in the bank.

Judie
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book seemed more suited for YA readers, however the history of German Jewry during the 1930's wasn't well researched and there were numerous mistakes in depicting how they lived. The editing was poor and so much of this story was over simplified. Really not a good adult read.
Pamela
Wow. I really need to find reviewers whose opinions I can trust and respect before I read a book. This book had so many 5 star ratings. How in the world!!?? I love historical fiction, but this barely fits that category. It was more a cross between a poorly-written young adult book filled with bad clichés and a cheap Harlequin romance placed in Nazi Germany. The Holocaust is far too dreadful to trivialize it in this way. And it just wasn't realistic. I won't be reading the sequels. What a waste o ...more
Jeff Dawson
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
All My Love, Detrick,

Could have been great.

What started out as a good engrossing read, became bogged down with endless name tags, passive sentences, character stories that didn’t add to the work and a major chronological problem.

Con’s

I don’t know how many times we are told who’s talking when it’s only two people. Detrick 700 times. Leah 404.

The majority of the sentences were supposed to be active, yet the insertion of ‘had’ made them passive. 800 uses.

I’m confused on why we are told of the li
Sara
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to say I ever enjoy stories of the Holocaust and the tribulations of the Jewish people, but I do often find them compelling. There might not be any other period of time that offers so much of true tragedy for an author to tap. I am sorry to say, this effort fell flat for me. I never felt involved with the characters, so I felt more of the general feeling of sorrow that these events represent than any real empathy with the situations of these specific people. Perhaps it was Kagan's att ...more
Hermien
May 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish, wwi-ii, ebooks, series
What a disappointment. What sounded like a really good story turned out to be a trashy holocaust romance, badly researched and written at that. I did finish it so I would normally give it ** just for that, but because of the subject matter I didn't think it deserved that.
brandy oliver
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in just a few hours and couldn't turn away!
I adore this writer's style, and this sad and horrific part of history has always been such an awful thing to learn about, to watch, to read about, it is to me, one of the worst things in all of time.
Roberta Kagan is a brilliant author, of what I consider a soon to be classic! I would recommend this book to anybody and hope to read more from Roberta Kagan in the near future.
She seems to have a part of the characters in herself, i
Aurora
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I really wanted to give more stars for the idea of the book and the parts that made me cry, but it was so disjointed! Facts were placed that seemed awkward and disrupted the flow of the book. Characters were also developed and dropped. I was a bit disappointed for sure!
Jenifer
Nov 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible. Not well researched, written, or edited. I couldn't even finish this book, it was so cheesy, almost to the point of being offensive to the subject matter.
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
This was the first book by this author I have read; over the last year I’ve taken an interest in holocaust based fiction not really knowing what to expect.
This authors style of writing is strange, a little blunt but easily read. The chapters are short making it easy to digest (this book features over a hundred and twenty!)

I enjoyed the storyline and the characters, I can appreciate where other reviewers have noted strong stereotypes but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Parts of the book seem rushed,
Kelli Tate
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a serious book. It was free on my Kindle and of course I had to download it. It is with a heavy heart that I tell you this is one of the best ooks that I have ever read. I found myself cheering and crying at the same time in parts. I loved it even though I hated the fact that it was written about a time that has changed the face of the World. The horrors that were brought upon some of the kindest and gentlest people for no reason but the way they believed is unfathomable to me. Could I ...more
Phyllis Eisenstadt
EXCELLENT EXAMPLE OF THE HOLOCAUST

Very well-written book in which the author paints pictures with words. The characters and events are so realistic that you feel as if you were right there as an observer, not merely as a reader. Further, you relate to the emotions felt by the characters--whether good or evil--and see them as they were intended to be seen. "All My Love, Detrick" will reach into your heart and make you cry, smile, laugh, experience joy, fear, hope, defeat, and sympathy. It runs th
Victoria(:
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in just a few hours and couldn't turn away!
I adore this writer's style, although this is a sad and horrific part of history that has always been such an awful thing to learn about, to watch, to read about. It is to me, one of the worst things in all of time.
Chantelle
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this book and I think that the setting and the characters were realistic and the storyline developed nicely. I definitely cared about the characters and remained interested in their stories until the end. I'm not typically a big fan of romance-y stories but the romance, although central to the story, did not overtake the story about the world events going on at the time, which is key for me.

When I read the story, I was concerned about the number of editing errors, and was actually abl
Tina Galli
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love to read books like these regarding the holocaust. So much is written but mainly they are written by people that survived. While I enjoy those too, I like to read the books that have fictious characters but are historically accurate and this is one of those books! I am not going to spoil the ending but I cried like a baby and wondered why the author chose the ending to end that way? Then my logical self explores and realizes that most stories based on the holocaust are ugly and heartbreaki ...more
Daniel Kalla
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a moving story that follows two families' intertwined paths through the rise of Nazi Germany. Though the history will be familiar to most, Kagan puts a human face to the tragedy and, with an ensemble cast, brings a wide lens view to the history. She weaves suspense, romance and history into one engaging and touching novel.
Michelle
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a freebie on amazon and I'd been putting off reading it as I haven't really enjoyed any freebies but this one is excellent. well edited and a gripping storyline. I loved the way the author wrote about an array of characters so you could see how the nazi regime affected people so differently. I will admit to crying at the end. Would definitely recommend this book.
Vikki Vaught
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
The story is compelling and I am glad I read it, but the craft needs work. The chapters are really short, and some of the sub-plots could have been great books. Dorothy's and Karl's come to mind.

I wish this book had ended differently. The characters are fictional and could have gotten a happy ending. Of course, I usually read romance, not tragedies. Happy reading!
Honour Fraiser
Jun 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
All My Love, Detrick was a frustrating read. I kept hoping for the book to get better but to no avail. It bounces around from character to character and leaves some characters without an ending. Overall, I didn't enjoy the read.
Windi
Jan 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 2015
Disappointed. I was looking so forward to reading this but i found it lacking. Lacking enough not to finish. The story could be a great one but the writing lacks richness and depth that i would normally expect from a novel intended for an adult audience. Shelved after 6 very short choppy chapters.
Kimberleigh
May 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
The idea for the novel was good, but the writing was so bad. I was already struggling to finish the book, but when the author compared love to magical butter, I knew it was a lost cause. I had to force myself to finish the book. I can't believe there are more!
Toni Osborne
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Historical novel of Love and Survival during The Holocaust

Book #1, in the All My Love Detrick Series

“All My Love Detrick” tells the story of a Jewish girl and a German boy who fall in love just as Hitler is appointed Chancellor of Germany. This is a very human and a most touching fiction of forbidden love and friendship I read in a long time. The story begins in 1923 when Detrick Haswell was seven years old, the timeline and narrative travels through the 30’s, WW11 and some years later.

This is
Judy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. Not horrible, but I've certainly read better. I got the first three books of this series for free, so will probably go on to read the next. This one reads like young adult fiction. I'm still trying to decide if I am offended by the light tone taken with such a dark period...yes, kind of. Then again, I didn't live the history, so I'm not familiar with the coping mechanisms necessary to survive that period. We all like to think we'd be better.
Mama
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent but sad!!!! We know history so early in book u know what is going to happen
Paul
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a love story set in Nazi Germany.

Detrick is an Aryan, living in Berlin, who, for years, has worked in the bicycle repair shop of Jacob Abdenstern. Accompanying Jacob home one night, Detrick meets Leah, his daughter. There is an instant attraction between them. They have to keep their romance very quiet, because, in Nazi Germany, any public affection between an Aryan and a Jew is very illegal. Detrick is extremely uninterested in anything to do with the Nazi Party.

Karl, Leah's brother, is
Carl H.
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First of all, please keep in mind that I am a crotchety old man fast approaching 73. My usual authors are writers like Follett, Jack Higgins, Robert Parker, Baldacci, Thor and Connelly. In other words, "Manly Men" type writers. I enjoy hard-boiled detective novels, WW2 novels that pull no punches and hard-hitting action. I have never, to my knowledge, read a "Romance" novel in my life.

Now...with all that said, Let me tell you that "All My Love, Detrick" is a book I could NOT put down!

I guess t
Marjorie
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Given To Me For An Honest Review

All My Love, Detrick: A Holocaust Novel by Roberta Kagan is a must read by all. It shows the beginning of the Holocaust from the eyes of the people involved. This book will grab you and hold you down. You will watch the pages turn and turn and turn some more until you reach the end. It is that good. There are many twists and turns. It is a love story between Detrick, a German and Leah a Jewish woman. There love and relationship was illegal and they both could have
Michele Whitecotton
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I searched for best books about the Holocaust and this book was on the list. It got good reviews so I tried it. The synopsis was very short and I wasn't sure what to expect and I didn't exactly expect this book to be what it was but I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought this book was fantastic and am anxious to read the next book in the series. This book wasn't full of doom and gloom as I thought it would be, it simply told an excellent story. I did read some negative reviews in which peopl ...more
Kate
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a love story set in Nazi Germany and is the tale of Detrick a German and Leah a Jew he loves. It is a rather light read and skips much if the pure horror of that time and place. Several interesting characters flesh out the story each with their own subplot. Not a heavy read but a decent story anyway.
Amazon Kindle Pri...: Historical Romance in Nazi Germany 1 8 Apr 26, 2014 10:30AM

• No Woman's Land (Women and the Holocaust, #2)
  • Auschwitz Syndrome: A Holocaust Novel Based on a True Story (Women and the Holocaust, #3)
  • Emilia: The Darkest Days in History of Nazi Germany Through a Woman's Eyes (Women and the Holocaust, #1)
  • The Devil's Bookkeepers: Book 1: The Noose
  • The German Half-Bloods (Half-Bloods Trilogy #1)
  • Beneath a Glass Bridge
  • The Girl Puzzle: A Story of Nellie Bly
  • Before the Brightest Dawn (The Half-Bloods Trilogy #3)
  • Orphan Train Trials (Hearts on the Rails, #2)
  • 1930 (The 1929 Series, #3)
  • War Criminal's Widow (The Girl from Berlin #3)
  • Mendelevski's Box: A heartwarming and heartbreaking Jewish survivor's journey
  • The Vogels: On All Fronts (The Half-Bloods Book 2)
  • The Indigo Rebels (The Indigo Rebels, #1)
  • 1929 (The 1929 Series, #1)
  • The Image Seeker (Bold Women of the 20th Century Book 3)
  • Final Mission: Zion - A World War 2 Thriller
  • The Girl I Left Behind
I’m an American writer of Jewish and Romany decent. I write Historical Fiction and Historical Romance, most of which is set during the holocaust. Although I never discount the horrors of the time period, the main focus of my work is on ordinary people who prove to be strong heroic characters in unfathomable circumstances.

Facebook Author page:

Facebook Book Club:
https:

All My Love, Detrick (5 books)
  • You Are My Sunshine (All My Love, Detrick, #2)
  • The Promised Land (All My Love, Detrick, #3)
  • To Be An Israeli (All My Love, Detrick, #4)
  • Forever, My Homeland (All My Love, Detrick, #5)