Start by marking “Destination Mars: New Explorations of the Red Planet” as Want to Read:
Destination Mars: New Explorations of the Red Planet

Destination Mars: New Explorations of the Red Planet

An exciting inside look into missions to Mars

In the next decade, NASA, by itself and in collaboration with the European Space Agency, is planning a minimum of four separate missions to Mars. Clearly, exciting times are ahead for Mars exploration.

In Destination Mars, award-winning science writer and documentary producer Rod Pyle provides an insider's look into the amazing p
Published April 15th 2012 by Prometheus Books (first published January 1st 2012)

Start your review of Destination Mars: New Explorations of the Red Planet
Erin
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Destination Mars" is an extremely well-written book, and the author's passion for the topic is evident throughout. Even for those not usually interested in space exploration, Pyle is able to present information about Mars research in a way that captures every reader's imagination. One of the strongest aspects of the book is the direct quotes from the researchers and scientists who directly worked on projects linked to Mars. It is exciting to hear the trials and triumphs of the space missions th ...more
Jared Millet
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mars, nonfiction, science
After Mary Roach's fascinating but icky Packing for Mars, here's a book to get you fired up about space exploration again. Rod Pyle gives a thorough, exciting overview of the great science that's been done on Mars for the last fifty years. He also includes bios and interviews of many of the scientists involved, doing a lot to humanize the subject. Even though we're sending robots, it's the people behind them who make everything work.

The problem with Mars exploration is that it suffers from Neil
Chris
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So far this is a wonderful book about the history of explorations of Mars and the people who participated in them. The middle section of color photos is more than worth the low price of this book.
Aron
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space
I really enjoyed this one. The author does a great job going through the various missions to Mars in a mostly chronological order, focusing on the design goals and challenges, the mid-mission hiccups, and the significant findings. The pictures, while maybe not coffee-table-book quality, were great additions to the text. The reading can be a little dense at times, but it’s definitely not tech heavy, and nothing that I can recall would require a scientific background to understand.
Robert
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review of “Destination Mars” by Rod Pyle

An electronic copy of this book was sent to me by the author in response to a review request on the “Books and Writers” forum on LinkedIn.

This book is what a tour of the Kennedy Space Center should feel like. It is a must read for anyone high school and above interested in science or space exploration. Five stars.

This quote sets the tone for the book.

Now I know better. Yes, they were very smart. These people were focused and fearless; brilliant people who
J.D.
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
With the renewed excitement about the exploration of our Solar System (like the current flyby mission to Pluto, July 2015, and future runs with Europa) this is an interesting and quite readable account of the planet Mars and our efforts to understand it.

It’s not a book heavy on the technicalities but paints a realistic picture of the science we’ve developed about Mars and, perhaps remarkably, about how we’d slowly lost the illusion of finding another hospitable world (and Martians around) and go
Dione Sage
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book received June 11, 2012 through Goodreads Giveaways
Destination Mars: New Explorations of the Red Planet is a scientific non-fiction masterpiece written by Rod Pyle. The author is also a documentary film producer which would make sense seeing as this book read like a fascinated voyage to Mars itself. Rod Pyle takes you with him on the journey from the Viking 1, Mariners to the future of what we can discover on this red planet. There are pictures in this book that are truly fascinating. One of
Michael Brady
I was born at the dawn of the space age so the history of human exploration of the solar system - including Mars - can be plotted on the same timeline as your's truly. Author Rod Pyle writes with a crisp and accessible style that makes each mission - flybys, orbiters, and landers - fresh and interesting, even though I know how each turns out. I recommend this book for anyone with a lay interest in space exploration or a fascination with the Red Planet.

This was the third book I won just by signin
Kara
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Wow. An amazing job of taking known history and describing it by-the-minute play by play, leaving the reader tettering on the edge of her seat, hand to mouth, eyes wide, all agog to find out of the rovers will make it to Mars - and what they will find there.

Amazing descriptions of the progress made so far of exploring our neighboring planet. So close - and yet so far from us as we watch the video streaming LIVE! from the Red Planet!
Robert Wright
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, mars
Highly recommended.

A solid overview of Mars exploration history and the potential for its future.

If it has one defect, it's that the method of recounting each mission/period falls into a pattern which can get monotonous in large doses. But if you take this mission by mission, it should hold your interest.

If you enjoy the topic either in fiction or non-fiction, this is a worthy read.
Hazel M Bear
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Whilst I love learning about space and discovery, the way the chapters seemed to come in pairs with events first and then a short bio of someone involved was a bit awkward. It was like I was reading something twice, and the second time not as interesting. Very informative though, and it helped flame a new appreciation of the Mars rovers and history of how they got started.
Jeff G
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting read. Slightly out of date now but filled with interesting information. A good read for any space enthusiast and Mars lover.
Pauline
Aug 28, 2012
Jenna
rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2012
Apr 11, 2016
charlie Calder
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness
  • Inkscape Beginner's Guide
  • The Grid: Electrical Infrastructure for a New Era
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • The Optimist's Telescope: Thinking Ahead in a Reckless Age
  • The Vital Question: Energy, Evolution, and the Origins of Complex Life
  • The Ice at the End of the World: An Epic Journey Into Greenland's Buried Past and Our Perilous Future
  • On the Future: Prospects for Humanity
  • Future Perfect: The Case for Progress in a Networked Age
  • Das Kapital
  • When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man
  • The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
  • Lost in Math: How Beauty Leads Physics Astray
  • Scale: The Universal Laws of Growth, Innovation, Sustainability, and the Pace of Life in Organisms, Cities, Economies, and Companies
Rod is the author of 15 nonfiction books (plus three for NASA) on his favorite subject, space exploration and technology. He tracks this fascination back to childhood, when his introversion led him to spend countless hours watching rocket launches, moonwalks and science fiction (which often led to truancy, countenanced by an understanding mother). While his contemporaries revered football players ...more