Start by marking “An Outlaw's Christmas (McKettricks, #15)” as Want to Read:
An Outlaw's Christmas (McKettricks, #15)

An Outlaw's Christmas

(McKettricks #15)

With his wild heart, Sawyer McKettrick isn't ready to settle down on the Triple M family ranch in Arizona. So he heads to Blue River, Texas, to seek a job as marshal. But in a blinding snowstorm he's injured—and collapses into the arms of a prim and proper lady in calico.The shirtless, bandaged stranger recuperating in teacher Piper St. James's room behind the schoolhouse ...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about An Outlaw's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Outlaw's Christmas

Start your review of An Outlaw's Christmas (McKettricks, #15)
Kathleen
This week has been either cowboys or blind heroes. This is my first encounter with Linda Lael Miller's writing, and frankly, I have no clue why she gets such high marks. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's this particular book. The plot is full of gaps and inconsistencies, the relationship developed overnight, and the heroine is unlikeable for the first several chapters.

Jack Garrett's audio narration is worth five fabulous stars, though.

This heroine. Grrrr! A schoolmarm in small town Texas, 1915,
Susan
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book - of course, it's a McKettrick story. Sawyer has come to Blue River to take over as marshal from his cousin Clay. Before he can do that he's shot and left for dead. Piper finds him and takes him to her room at the schoolhouse. He's hurt too badly to be moved and must recover there. This does Piper's reputation no good, so they marry to make it all respectable. I really liked both Piper and Sawyer. Piper is from the East, and a bit nervous about being in the "wild west". She comes ...more
Emily
Not ready to settle, Sawyer McKettrick finds himself taking a job as Marshal in Blue River, Texas. When he is shot, he finds himself in the care of the town's school teacher, Piper St. James. For the first time in his life, Sawyer wonders if he has met his match. Although Piper is cordial, she also has a spark of temper which he happens to enjoy igniting. As Christmas draws close, so does their feelings for one another and Sawyer doesn't plan to let that feeling go.

I am always a sucker for one
Lexi
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great holiday read!

An Outlaw’s Christmas is a sweet and endearing story about two people finding love in the most unusual of places.

Sawyer McKettrick arrives in Blue River, Texas looking to get away from some things in his past. His cousin Clay lives nearby and Sawyer is going to take over his job as town marshal for the time being. As soon as he gets off the train, he is shot by an unknown assailant. Spooked, his horse takes off and Sawyer, injured and barely conscious hangs on until the
Rhonda
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
An Outlaws Christmas by Linda Lael Miller
4 STARS I liked An Outlaws Christmas. Thier are some love scenes in the end of the book. I liked Piper. At first she is timid but then we find out for one of her kids she is tough enough. Its a snowy winter when Sawyer comes to Blue River, TX on the train in 1915. He is riding his horse for a bit of exercise after the train ride they had taken before going to the hotel. When Sawyer feels like someone is watching him and then he hears the shot. He is shot
Shannon
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
(ARC generously provided by NetGalley)

Back in the mid-1990s I discovered Linda Lael Miller by way of her vampire series (beginning with Forever and the Night). This was before the vampire romance genre became big and overdone (thanks a lot, Twilight) and I loved the passion and the darkness of her characters. Nobody does "bad boy" like a vampire. So when I read Miller now, I expect that same passion and intensity.

Sadly, that was lacking in An Outlaw's Christmas. Okay, it's a Christmas story, so
Arlena
Author: Linda Lael Miller
Published By: Harlequin
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 4

Review:

"An Outlaw's Christmas" by Linda Lael Miller was a sweet 'McKettrick' historical romance series read that only this author could give to its readers. This was a well written Christmas western style story giving the reader a wild west sort of flair. We find Sawyer McKettrick has come to Blue River, TX to take over a position from his cousin Clay as a Marshall, however,
Mareli
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I spent my holidays reading the whole McKettrick's series.

A bit on the short side. But really Sawyer didn't tell me anything new.
Sweet and short
Lisa
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: earc
I'm a big fan of Linda Lael Miller's McKettrick series. The original books are probably still my favorites. This one is more in that time frame than her latest books in the series. Set in in 1915 the main two McKettricks in this book are Sawyer McKettrick and Clay McKettrick(A Lawman's Christmas) sons of Jeb and Kade McKettrick from the original books in this series. It was fun to go back and kind of visit those books. There are some surprise appearances at the end of the book that i was so ...more
Jillian Pearl
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read any of Linda Lael Miller's work before this. Based on the cover and the blurb (An Outlaw's Christmas) I was surprised to find the story was set in 1915. I didn't mind because I like historical romances, but it would have been nice to have a hint of that in the cover and blurb.

That said, the story captured my attention and pushed me to keep reading in order to discover the answers to the questions brought up in the first few pages. In the first half of chapter one, there was a twist
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Rhayne's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4 Stars>/b>

If you are a fan of the McKettrick series by Ms. Miller you won’t want to miss out on her latest. An Outlaw Christmas throws us right back into the mix of this fabulous family we have all come to love.

This story focuses on Sawyer McKettrick and Piper St. James. It takes place in 1915 and gives us a heartwarming tale surrounded by a magical time of year.

Sawyer is heading to Blue River to take over the Marshal job from his cousin, Clay.
Julie Barrett
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
An Outlaw's Christmas by Linda Lael Miller
ISBN: 9780373777013
Sawyer McKettrick, Blue River, TX Dec 1915 just off the train on the back of his horse, Cherokee and he got shot in the shoulder. The horse sped away in the deep powdery snow while he slouched over the horse and held on for dear life.
Piper St. James is the school teacher getting ready to decorate the tree for the holidays.
Her cousin, Dara Rose thad talked her into coming all the way from Maine to teach. She's wondering if she has made
Alex
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
The Deal: Not wanting to go home and settle down at the family ranch, Sawyer McKettrick took his cousin Clay's up on his offer to become the new sheriff of Blue River, Texas (which used to be Clay's job), but he wasn't expected to be shot at upon arrival or the freak snow storm that left him strandled at the town's school house and under the care of Piper St. James.

Originally from Maine, Piper only came out west because her cousin - and only living relative - Dara Rose convinced her to, so she
Anna's Herding Cats
Originally Posted for Herding Cats & Burning Soup

Oh I liked this. An Outlaw's Christmas was one of those books that I immediately felt comfortable with. It's just a sweet story and the writing flows so easily. This was my first time reading Linda Lael Miller and I may just have to stalk her now. And...um...by stalk I mean, wave nicely from WAY over here as I devour everything she's ever written.

Piper and Sawyer were both wonderful characters. They're compassionate and honest with the
Becky
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sawyer is on his way to Blue River, Texas in a snow storm to take over as marshall from his cousin
Clay. A shot rings out and Sawyer is shot in the shoulder. His horse takes him infront of the school, where he falls to the ground unconscious. The schoolmarm, Piper St. James is struggling to keep enough fire wood and water in her small room of the school to make it through the storm. When she tries to get through the storm to fetch more wood she see's a horse and goes out. She trips over
Judith
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Filled with the color and cultural norms of an Old West community, this story is an unusual encounter between a hardened old cowboy, coming back home to be a temporary marshall, and a prim and proper school marm who is hoping against hope that she will find a man willing to marry her and give her the family she so desperately longs for. Yet just by taking Sawyer McKettrick into her school house and giving him care after his life-threatening wound, she has put the complete cabash on any hoped-for ...more
Tima
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sawyer is on his way through Blue River, Texas when he's shot. It's dark and snowy and he can't see who fired the shot. He had agreed to come be a temporary marshal. So his first day in town isn't very promising. Arriving at the local school house he loses consciousnesses from the blood loss. Piper, the single school teacher, isn't exactly thrilled to be saddled with this bleeding man. She knows her reputation will be ruined if she takes him into her home. But she can't exactly leave him in the ...more
Mcfree
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: looked-at
A 5 for story 1--An Outlaw's Christmas. This is pure Miller. She has created a great combo in Sawyer and Piper. I really liked Piper's intrepid nature. Sawyer wasn't as fully realized as Piper, but he filled the bill as the good guy. This is apparently at least the second in a set of stories about a branch of Miller's McKettrick family, but it stands on its own.

A 0 for the second story--Escape from Cabriz. I quit in the middle. I certainly hope this has never been published as a separate novel.
Crystal
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Of course I have never meet a Linda Lael Miller book that I did not love. You can never go wrong with one of her books and a Christmas book is a must READ for me.

Sawyer McKettrick arrives in Blue River, Texas for the marshal job. He runs into trouble as soon as he arrives and ends up at the school yard. The teacher who is settling in for the a major snow storm finds him there.

Piper St. James takes in Sawyer to help him recover. She's a little worried about her reputation but
Brad Jae
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"An Outlaw's Christmas" Linda Lael Miller ... Really great book! I found myself reading this book until the crack of dawn!! literally!!!!. I loved the fact that the book wasn't cliche and to over the top. The book was really heartwarming and so funny! I had a couple of laughs along the way. (parents was looking at me really weird for laughing while reading this book!!). Can't wait for the next addition for this series as of January 2013.
Harlequin Books
"Each year Miller gifts readers with a warm and touching McKettrick story, celebrating family, friends and the miracle of the season. Her latest holiday story shines with compassion and the belief in the inherent kindness of man, rekindled by the holidays. Miller touches hearts with gentleness and sensitivity." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars
Georgina
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Lightweight and unbelievable in parts but the characters are interesting and I enjoyed the storytelling.
Leigh Ann
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
great follow up for lawman's christmas
Shelly Hammond
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the tale of a man who suffers an injury while on his way to become the new town marshal and the school teacher who is left to care for him due to the bad weather and the severity of his injury. She's very reserved and I'd almost say prudish at first but when you get to know her you see that she is just a product of the times in the way she thinks about certain things but also has a mind of her own and does things her way when she sees fit.
There is a bit of Christmas talk throughout and
Juliewheatcox.Net
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cleaver depiction of the social mores, concerns, and fears of the early 1900's. Also, the advent of modern plumbing & electricity, or the lack thereof; i.e. the poor little girl who was growing up in a brothel had all the modern conveniences, whereas the teacher had none.

The romance was stilting since Piper thought Sawyer was going to leave her as soon as he was well enough to ride away. It got much better once Clay put her mind at ease.

The story would have been much better if the ending
Vicki
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book picks up about a year after "Lawman's Christmas". Sawyer has come to Blue River, Texas to replace Clay McKettrick as sheriff of. Clay married Dara and they moved to his ranch and is expecting a baby. It's close to Christmas and Sawyer has just arrived. He' s headed to the stable to get his horse taken care of. There is a snow storm raging and he s ambushed and shot, left for dead.

Great read! Loved it!
Dawn ♥ romance
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this historical holiday romance. A lot happened in the couple weeks before Christmas. I could buy into the rushed relationship considering the culture of the time. I liked the character of both hero and heroine. Teacher Piper takes in a wounded man she found in a snowstorm outside her school room and soon learns he is Sawyer, there to take over for his cousin the sheriff.
Jackie
This was a combo read with 2 short stories combined in same digital book.

A lovely western romance and an intriguing contemporary second chance/romantic suspense.

Both couples in both tales are well matched and each story is enjoyable even though they are also predictable.

Kbee
Audible Romance Package

AUDIOBOOK: Read 1st October 2019
6hrs 20min

Narrator: Jack Garrett does a good job.
I liked it...Read a couple of this series a long time ago, LLM stays true to the McKettricks.
Ruth
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun historical romance. Piper finds a man laying in the snow outside her little school house and drags him inside before he freezes to death, but his recuperation in her back room has more than a bit of an impact on her reputation in this small Western town.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Wyoming Bold (Wyoming Men, #3)
  • Dangerous (Long, Tall Texans, #39)
  • Wyoming Fierce (Wyoming Men, #2)
  • Wyoming Brave (Wyoming Men, #6)
  • Untamed (Long, Tall Texans #46)
  • Wyoming Heart (Wyoming Men #9)
  • To Tame a Wild Cowboy (Cupid, Texas #7)
  • One Wish: A Christmas Story
  • The Best Friend's Billionaire Brother: A Caprock Canyon Romance Book One
  • The Outlaw's Heart (Runaway Brides, #3)
  • Cowboy Rebel
  • When the Marquess Was Mine (The Wagers of Sin, #3)
  • Courageous (Long, Tall Texans #42)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • Second Chance Cowboy (Crossroads Ranch, #1)
  • Wyoming Strong (Wyoming Men, #4)
  • An Alaskan Christmas (Wild River #1)
  • Longing for a Cowboy Christmas
The daughter of a town marshal, Linda Lael Miller is a #1 New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. Raised in Northport, Washington, Linda pursued her wanderlust, living in London and Arizona and traveling the world before returning to the state of her birth to settle down on a spacious property ...more

McKettricks (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • High Country Bride (McKettricks, #1)
  • Shotgun Bride (McKettricks, #2)
  • Secondhand Bride (McKettricks, #3)
  • McKettrick's Choice (McKettricks, #4)
  • Sierra's Homecoming (McKettricks, #5)
  • McKettrick's Luck (McKettricks, #6)
  • McKettrick's Pride (McKettricks, #7)
  • McKettrick's Heart (McKettricks, #8)
  • The McKettrick Way (McKettricks, #9)
  • A McKettrick Christmas (McKettricks, #10)