Start by marking “I Left My Heart: A Friend or Two\No Competition” as Want to Read:
I Left My Heart: A Friend or Two\No Competition

I Left My Heart: A Friend or Two\No Competition

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  429 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
A Friend or Two

Elizabeth Wainwright, an East Coast heiress in disguise, takes a job waitressing at a Fisherman's Wharf café, eager to live a simpler life. One day Andrew Breed—handsome, mysterious and charismatic—walks in. He says he's a longshoreman, but his words and actions don't quite add up. Is Elizabeth falling in love with someone who's pretending to be something ot
Published August 28th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA

To ask other readers questions about I Left My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Left My Heart

Cheryl
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Dumb and poorly written. Set in modern times with language from olden times. "Darling, I shall not leave you". Ugh, please.
Marie
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
VERY predictable. Fast read. Not recommended if you want to really sink your teeth into a book.
Deyanne
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: beach-read
Ho hum...shallow at best. I wonder why I kept reading. Looking for escape.
Urszula
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't going anywhere. Thus I was not going to waste anymore time on it.

The story line was flat and borring. The chacacters very uninteresting...
Heidi
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Both stories were cute. I think the second one was my favorite even though I wanted to knock some sense into her. Predictable, especially if you have read a lot of Debbie Macomber, but still good.
Julie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A Friend or Two was a pleasant read with a good storyline. The only reason I finished the second book, No Competition, is because I don't want to leave a book unfinished. The main female character...ugh.
Rhonda Soukup
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was 2 stories in one. The first story was about a wealthy girl who somewhat runs away from home and meets a man while working in a cafe. Turns out he is the bodyguard her father hired. The second story is about an artist who meets a man who has been buying her paintings. She has a twin sister who is a beautiful girl who steals boyfriends. But after some confusion, all works out.
Phylis Hopkins
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed them!!
Ceelee Sunshine
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very disapponted! I usually like Debbie Macomber's books but I Left My Heart didn't float my boat despite being set in San Francisco. I didn't like the main characters of either story and if I can't identify with the main character in some way I can't like a book no matter how good the writing The book is actually two reissues of early Harlequin novels which explains a lot The first book was actually a little better than the second although I wasn't thrilled with Elizabeth's selfish deceitful be ...more
Patricia Solla
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This book contains two romantic stories set in San Francisco. The first story deals with a young woman dealing with the death of her mother and trying to get on with her own life. Visiting San Francisco, a city her mother loved, she finds herself taking a waitressing job, making a new friend and falling in love. There's a twist in the romance but all works out well in the end. In the second story there's a young woman who is a talented artist and is selling a painting she has done of her sister ...more
Arlene
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two books in one! A Friend or Two and No Competition!

The first, A Friend or Two... an heiress takes a job as a waitress where nobody knows she's rich! She falls in love with a customer that has been coming into the restaurant, but he has his own secret and it causes problems when she discovers who he really is!

No Competition is about an artist that paints a picture of her beautiful twin sister. A man buys the picture thinking its her interpretation of how she sees herself inside even tho she's
Denise
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Debbie Macomber fans, light romance fans
This book is a reissue of two of Debbie's older books (A Friend Or Two and No Competition). Fortunately I hadn't read either of these older books.

I have one gripe that I want to get off my chest--I try to read all the books that an author publishes when I like their writing. Debbie is very prolific so trying to read all of her books is a challenge. Then when you find a title that you haven't read and when you get it and then find it is a reissue under a new name it is pretty annoying.

With that
 Gigi Ann
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
My Thoughts...

Debbie Macomber is one of my favorite authors, and what could be more fun than finding a book of hers that is two books in one...yes that's right, two books, two books in one!

These stories were light-hearted romance, delightfully fluffy and fun. Sometimes my mind becomes light and fluffy like dandelion seeds, blown about by a stiff breeze. I like to read something fun and fluffy at those times just like those dandelion seeds. Well, these books fit the bill. They were fun light roma
Lisa
Feb 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Kimberly Kelly smiljanic
The first story I enjoyed. The characters were easy to like and being from San Francisco it was a nice way to step away from life in LA and imagine I was home. The second story was so annoying being the main character suffered from a major identity crisis. She's this wonderful artist with severe insecurities. It led me to wonder what the heck is wrong with Shane to be so in love with her. I was more happy for her sister. I wouldn't bother with No Competition unless you're in the mood to be irrit ...more
Liesel
Aug 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very quick and easy read. No real substance and the characters were very juvenile. I spent the majority of both stories wanting to yell at the characters to grow up and get over themselves. And then I was just super frustrated at the end thinking 'really??? you are just going to jump into this as the conclusion?'. Packed as a beach read which was good because it was to quick but overall a HUGE disappointment.
Diane
Aug 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Thoroughly disappointed with story line and characters in this one. AND I LOVE Macomber's books - have read TONS of them. Elizabeth, a.k.a. Beth, acts like a flighty woman who belongs in a Harlequin romance :( Breed is unpredictable and while that is explained away by the end of the book, he, like Elizabeth/Beth have no real personalities :( I hope this is the only Macomber book that ever disappoints me, since I do LOVE her books !
Lori
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
As always, Macomber is a light and fluffy read. This was a two for one both having San Francisco as the setting. I really like the first one "A Friend or Two," had a bit of romance and mystery. The second "No Competition" drove me crazy! The main character is so insecure and paranoid that it makes the plot annoying. Really - I don't know how a many could ever stay in love with someone so unsure of herself.
Faye
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
The title is from a Tony Bennett song. these were written in the 80's. The first has a Boston heiress, working as a waitress falling in love with man that she learns is her bodyguard.
The other is about an architect that falls in love with an insecure artist.
These were good stories but not as great as i expect from Debbie Macomber.
Carol
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
True to form, I enjoyed I Left My Heart by Debbie Macomber. This book is actually a combo of two books published in the 1980's: A Friend or Two and No Competition. I enjoy Debbie Macomber's wholesome style of writing. Her books are proof that an author doesn't have to use excessive vulgar language, very dark violence, or elicit sexual themes to keep a reader turning the pages.
Kathy jenkins
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
a bit sad after reading one of my favorite feel good authors and her stories only left me feeling old and wanting to slap the main character out of her silliness. Maybe i need to find a new feel good author. hmmm...
Joyce
Aug 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Love Debbie Macomber books. Not a big fan of either of these two stories. No competition - Carrie is an artist with the self esteem of a slug. She can't believe a man could love her really the way she acted she is lucky he gave her a second look. Just really did not like this character
Tina
May 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is composed of two parts. The first, "A Friend or Two" wasn't really worthwhile, despite its promising premise. The second, "No Competition" was somewhat better. Overall, I won't recommend this book unless you are die hard Macomber fan.
JoAnne
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
2 stories in one book both taking place in St Francisco. Both were enjoyable reads with lots of love, romance, family, friends, misunderstandings, sorrow and sadness. Both had happily ever afters and would have loved it if each were a little longer.
Vintage Macomber.
Meg Funk
Oct 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Both stories were forced, predictable and had ridiculous characters. let's all run off and get married after knowing someone for 47 seconds. Sad because I heard a lot of good things about this author, but I don't want to read another book to find out!
Lea
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
There was a ladies-who-hate-their-freckles theme between these too stories, as well as deception inevitably leads to a kink in your romance.
Both stories set in San Francisco.
Re-release from the 1980s, yet not dated.
Dorrie Berning
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, especially the second story "No Competition". It touched my heart and I am sure this would be true for anyone that has suffered from low self esteem.

Always remember... YOU are beautiful.
Laurie
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it

I'm giving this three stars because I really liked the first story but the second one drove me nuts. I don't really know why I even kept reading to the end. The main character was such a flake that it's amazing the guy didn't write her off.
Gayle
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I will read this again. Good love stories with great lead into's. Awaiting for book 2 of the series out at end of this month (july) and the 3rd book of the series comes out in August. I hate having to wait for books in a series - but that's life.
Ivy
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was two books in one, and typical old school Debbie Macomber. They were both predictable with very little character development. Not the worst way to spend a few hours, but she has written far better.
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • Protection (A Forbidden Love, #2)
  • Still as Death
  • A Winter Wonderland
  • A Day Away: One Summer / Temptation
  • Edge of Forever / A Natural Father
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #3.5 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Redeeming Waters
  • Unconditional
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • Ray of Light (The Days of Redemption #2)
  • My Big Old Texas Heartache (Cedar Dell, #1)
  • Cast On, Kill Off (A Knitting Mystery, #10)
  • On Lavender Lane (Shelter Bay, #3)
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...