Start by marking “Justin and the Bully: with audio recording” as Want to Read:
Justin and the Bully: with audio recording

Justin and the Bully: with audio recording (The Dungy Children)

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Justin loves soccer—but he doesn’t love being teased. Learn how to handle a bully in this Level 2 Ready-to-Read with audio from Tony and Lauren Dungy.

Justin is thrilled to be on a soccer team. But at his very first practice, he is approached by a tall girl who calls him “Shorty.” She tells him he’s too little to be on the team and that he should just go home. Justin doesn’
Published December 18th 2012 by Simon Spotlight

To ask other readers questions about Justin and the Bully, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justin and the Bully

Jen
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opening:
Today we are going to read a story about a bully. Does anyone know what a bully is? A bully is someone who is not saying or being nice to another person. Let’s look at the picture on the cover. What do you see? We see two kids playing soccer in the background. We also see two kids at the front. The girl doesn’t look nice and it looks like the boy wants to play soccer. Have any of you experienced a time when you wanted to play soccer but another person wouldn’t let you? How did that make
Rebecca Ann
This was an average read, probably best for sporty kids. I didn't like that at the end of the book, the bully isn't called out, punished in any way or shown learning a lesson. In fact, in the case of Taylor the bully, everyone just ignores her bullying aside from one comment, and she seems unperturbed. I do like the diversity shown in the pictures, however.
Kitty
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Justin loves soccer, but he has a problem! Taylor keeps calling him names and he doesn't play soccer anymore. What will he do to fix his problem? Read this book to find out!

I love the simple explanation of what bullying is and it gives people ideas on where to go for help when a bully is tormenting you!
Karen
Apr 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really wanted to like this book by Tony Dungy. Although written to be shared with the young child, the illustrator bullied the book. The story line is a short child being picked on. The picture shows all the children the same size except for the one doing the bullying. Aside from the fact it is soccer where speed is more important than size. I am confused?
Katie Fitzgerald
As a lesson in bullying, this story works fine. As a story to read for entertainment, it's disappointing. I love the illustrations, but the text does too much telling and not enough showing, and the second half of the book is too didactic to be any fun.
Alexis Munk
This book is great for transitioning into chapter books. It has headers, kind of like how a chapter book has chapters. It's also good to show children how they can handle a bully. It's also a good way to show that you should always stick up for someone if you hear them being bullied.
Sharie
I like the easy read format.
I like that the parents don't just accept that the kids OK but keep pushing for what's wrong.
I like the coach's team approach to fixing the problem.

I don't like the magical, all's good in last page feel.
Trisan
Sep 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-1
Was not fun. (That is munchkin's opinion - third grade)
Carrie Ardoin
Easy to understand thought I did paraphrase a bit while reading to my four year old. Good lesson for him to learn at a young age.
Chris Jordan
Another Awesome book by Tony and Lauren Dungy. It is a great illustration of how to recognize when your kids are being bullied and how to handle it.
Cory Ott
Henry C
May 29, 2014
Michelle
Apr 14, 2017
Tony Dungy is a former professional football player and retired coach for the Indianapolis Colts. During his seven years leading the Colts, he became the first African American coach to win a Super Bowl. He was also one of the most respected and popular NFL coaches in the league. Colleagues and friends consider him to be a family man of great faith and Christian character.
More about Tony Dungy...

The Dungy Children (6 books)
  • Ruby's New Home (Ready-To-Read - Level 2)
  • Here Comes the Parade!