Start by marking “Driver's Education: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Driver's Education: A Novel

Driver's Education: A Novel

He’s a big man, my granddad, not necessarilyin size or proportion, but in other ways, like the manner in which he lives. The trouble in which he finds himself. The magic that heconjures and the spectacular things he believes.

When he was a younger man, Alistair McPhee was fond of escaping in his ’56 Chevy Bel Air, Lucy, named for the cherished wife who died and left hi
Published January 8th 2013 by Simon Schuster (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Driver's Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driver's Education

Roxane
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise but not at all well written or conceived. Hard to finish.
Jonathan Kramer
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story by an author I was unfamiliar with. A fan of road trips, I was eager to find out how this went, especially since I'd done something similar years ago, though with a different purpose and outcome. The humor he injects during the final chapters is wonderful, as is how he offers a variation on the story ends; a bonus if you will. There's nothing not to like here; a pet cat being transported cross country, a town in the southwest with a population of 'one'; and crashing a pharmaceutical ...more
Geri
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I love road books but I just could not get into this one.
Alison
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to think about this book for awhile after I finished it. I realized that the portions of it I questioned were due to the ingenuity of the author in creating a story that makes us question, by the end of the book, what's recounted as true and what's not. The protagonists - a grandfather, father and son - are all versed in creating fiction from truth - one as a raconteur, one as novelist who can't follow up on his initial success (which he based on a slice of life), and one as a writer for s ...more
Jaime K
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway

When Finn McPhee receives a phone call from his grandfather to "bring her to him," the young man grabs his friend Randal and heads from NYC to California. Their mode of transportation? A yellow Chevy which granddad named "Lucy" after his late wife, a car that is embedded in the family history. Along the way, Finn recounts stories of his grandfather's life; stories that are chapters of the book, which alternate with facts from Finn's father's (Colin McPhee) life.
Asia
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a first reads giveaway and I have to say that it’s a lot different from the books I normally read. In Driver’s Education’s case being different from the piles of fantasy/dystopian novels I've read is a very good thing. This book was a breath of fresh air. And as soon as the story starts you’re taken into the lives of Finn, Alistair, and Collin McPhee. The book alternates between Finn’s and Collin’s point of views and you’re not only presented with pieces of their lives but tha ...more
Jay
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Ginder offers an interesting narrative that shifts between son and father each chapter. While each voice was genuine, I would have preferred to have one narrator for the entire book for the sake of consistency.

Ginder did a great job of developing the characters in the book, especially emphasizing their dishonesty.

The grandfather and grandson are excellent foils. Both tell tall tales in different ways: The son edits film to embellish reality television, while the grandfather engages in more tra
Katie
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

A mix of tall tales, true stories, and outright lies, "Driver's Education" is a multigenerational meditation on storytelling. While I like the concept, I preferred the father's recollections of his childhood and parents. His own made-up tales (and his father's) masked sad truths that were too bitter to live with. The son's reasons for his fibs (and exaggerating his grandfather's stories) never felt authentic. What was perhaps meant to b
Heather
This was a interesting story about three generations of men. The grandfather is dying and wants his grandson to bring drive his car cross country to him. The grandson decides to visit the places that his grandfather talked about over the years and see if the crazy stories really did happen. The father has a different view of the grandfather than the grandson. Add in the best friend and a very old cat, and let the stories begin!

This was a fun book to read that did keep my attention, although I fe
Krissy
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I cannot say enough good things about this book. The language, the relationships, everything draws you in. The minute you fall in love with one character the next chapter will sway you. The author's clarity in writing and the truth he places in each moment, getting you enthralled in what will happen in the next is blatantly apparent. Read this book. It will leave you hoping for his next.
Chelseyam
I was mixed with the book. The father's recollections were great. It was as if you were hearing stories from your own family, at times. The tall tales, on the other hand, echoed Big Fish a bit too much. I sort of hoped there wouldn't be a fish reference at all, to be honest. It was a fun read though and I'd certainly pick up other titles from this author without a second thought.
Renae
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I liked this book. I think what I enjoyed most about it is the way that it's written alternating between father and son but in a way I've never seen done before. The character they meet in Wyoming made me laugh. Give this book a chance if you're looking for a refreshing take on male relationships as well as writing style.

**I won this book in a goodreads giveaway***
April
I received a copy of this book free through Goodreads first Reads.

I work at a Senior/Youth center and donate all print books I win in giveaways to the library.

I hope I get a chance to check this one out in the near future!!!

I can say it must be a really good read because it has been checked out since I added it to the library shelves!!
Karen Allen
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure exactly how I felt about this book. On the one hand, I really liked it, on the other, not so much. It was interesting, quirky and well paced, but I rarely felt a connection to the characters.
John Blockinger
This was an ok coming of age/road trip story. Anyone who has lived in Pittsburgh and/or Columbus will enjoy the stops on the road where the characters visit real neighborhoods you will recognize. Tall tales are enjoyable, and the author has fun testing our believability at several levls.
Lupe
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh - I give up. I just couldn't get into this book.
Kurt
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Goes from OK to Mediocre to....I didn't read the 2nd choice of ending.
Gary
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. May also read "This is how it starts". Stories, stories. And more stories.
Clare  O'Connor
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever, witty and perfectly paced.
Annwsk2354
started great but i got bored.
Trent
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you want to read this book, please buy it from your local independent bookseller.
Wendy
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Entertaining read, inventive style, interesting commentary on current culture
Christine
grandfather, father and son are all storytellers in their own ways.
Anne
Aug 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this book. It had a weird yellowface scene, and then it meandered.
Kseniya Melnik
Apr 19, 2013
Jeremy
Jul 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Secrets and Malice
  • Nostalgia, My Enemy
  • Performance Anomalies
  • Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2)
  • An Abduction Revelation: The Comeback Kid Returns
  • Skinny Dipping in Daylight
  • I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol
  • Fed Up!: Our Fight to Save America from Washington
  • How to Screw Up Your Marriage
  • The Doomsday Survival Handbook: A Bucket List for Every Conceivable Apocalypse
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
Grant Ginder is the author of THE PEOPLE WE HATE AT THE WEDDING, DRIVER'S EDUCATION, and THIS IS HOW IT STARTS. He received his MFA from NYU, where he teaches writing. He lives in Brooklyn.

Visit him online at www.GrantGinder.com. Follow him on Twitter or Instagram @GrantGinder
“This is true: if there was one thing my father taught me, it's that endings never work out the way you want them to--that they're terrible, and this one is no different. They're like the last drops of wine, the final puffs of a cigarette. They're Sunday nights, or the last afternoon of summer. They're flat tires and wet pairs of socks and cold dinners. They're the sort of thing that--no matter the effort, no matter the discipline--no one can get right.” 4 likes