Start by marking “Helix Wars” as Want to Read:
Helix Wars

Helix Wars (Helix #2)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Helix Wars, sequel to the best-selling Helix is a fast-paced adventure novel about the ultimate threat to the Helix itself and to humanity, whose role it is to protect it.

The Helix: a vast spiral of ten thousand worlds turning around its sun. Aeons ago, the enigmatic Builders constructed the Helix as a refuge for alien races on the verge of extinction.

Two hundred years ag
Published September 25th 2012 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Helix Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helix Wars

Michael Hanscom
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
First off, to borrow an old cliché, don't judge this book by its cover. The cover, of a suited warrior firing a laser rifle against a backdrop of explosions, gives the impression that this is a military sci-fi novel (a genre which I'm not terribly interested in). Instead, this book, the second in a series, has much more in common with Larry Niven's _Ringworld_, as it deals with the interplay between races on a giant helical constructed world, wrapped around a star like a slinky, with thousands o ...more
Keith
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I tore through the first Helix ravenously, was pretty blown away by the setting, the ideas and the rollicking pace. That pace is present again here, with things moving at the same action thriller clip, and it's a real page turner.

I missed the sense of awe and wonder in the first book, this is more of a slightly traditional actioner, but it was inevitable after the first book traded so well and heavily in the introduction of the world. It does mean that while the action is really gripping, there
Gave
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Better than Helix
Lee Pfahler
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Eric Brown fans
Shelves: science-fiction
Not as good as Helix but still a good read.
Les
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Following on from the earlier book Helix, where a human starship crashes onto a huge and spectacular helix shaped construct containing thousands of worlds, Helix Wars continues the story a couple of hundred years later. It's a good yarn, no doubt about it, but this was definitely my least enjoyed Eric Brown story to date. The reason for this is not so much with the delivery, which is typically good, but I was surprised to find myself rushing a little and trying to avoid text skipping during a la ...more
Bob
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Sigh, very disappointing. First of all, this is a sequel, and I didn't read book 1, so maybe it's better if you've read the first one. The idea is an interesting one- a ringworld-type story- but I wasn't pulled into the story at all.

The big premise is that humans are made "peacekeepers" of this fantastic "ringworld"-type construct with thousands of alien races on it. Humans are demonstrating an astonishing, spectacular, incomprehensible incompetence at this job: one of the things that put me off
Bruno Di Giandomenico
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Welcome back to the worlds of the Helix. This time we get to know a little bit more about some of the races which populate some of the worlds. We come across the bad Sporrelli, who live in a dark and depressing world and are governed by a fascist dictatorship, hell bent on conquering a world with some metal.
We know the race which acts as Engineers and repairer of the Helix and a gentle and delicate race which give peace another meaning.
An earthling must wade among these races to fulfill his dest
Robbo
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great characterisation of the main protagonists, Jeff Ellise a Human shuttle pilot and asking with two aliens Calla a healet and Kranda from a warrior race battle the Sporellis after they invade a peaceful works. An intergalactic roaf story. Worth reading as it's a good mix of action and personal triumphs with a cathartic conclusion. Begs a follow up.
Lisa
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. Sequel to Helix which I also enjoyed. Obviously there are some significant similarities to Ringworld but I am ok with that. It was a fun adventure and a great escape for the weekend.
Sa
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Not bad, but I liked Helix more.
Sander Bollen
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Misses the sense of awe and wonder from Helix, but otherwise an enjoyable read.
Mike
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Brown has written some of my favorite books, but this isn't one of them. We do learn more about the helix itself, but the story had too many threads to be able to hang together and keep my interest.
Nicolle Williams
Mar 15, 2017
the dread pirate roberts
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Chimera (The Subterrene War, #3)
  • Saturn Returns (Astropolis, #1)
  • Fountain of Age: Stories
  • Fire with Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #1)
  • Age of Aztec
  • The Creative Fire (Ruby's Song #1)
  • Impulse (Lightship Chronicles #1)
  • Harmony
  • Angel Stations
  • The Seeds of Earth (Humanity's Fire, #1)
  • The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • The Cold Between (Central Corps, #1)
  • Sly Mongoose (Xenowealth, #3)
  • The Trials (The Red #2)
  • Metaplanetary
  • Strike (Hit, #2)
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
Eric Brown was born in Haworth, West Yorkshire, in 1960, and has lived in Australia, India and Greece. He began writing in 1975, influenced by Agatha Christie and the science fiction writer Robert Silverberg. Since then he has written over forty-five books and published over a hundred and twenty short stories, selling his first story in 1986 and his first novel in 1992. He has written a dozen book ...more
More about Eric Brown...