Start by marking “Edge of Infinity” as Want to Read:
Edge of Infinity

Edge of Infinity

(Infinity Project #2)

Contains "The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi" by Pat Cadigan, which won the Hugo Award for Best Novelette (2013) and the Locus Award for SF Best Novelette (2013).

"One giant leap for mankind". Those were Neil Armstrong's immortal words when he became the first human being to step onto another world. All at once, the horizon expanded; the human race was no longer Earthbou
Published November 27th 2012 by Solaris (first published November 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Edge of Infinity, please sign up.

Start your review of Edge of Infinity
Fiona
The Infinity Project had a good first book, but I'm really impressed by book 2 - really, the only reason the 4.5 stars is rounded down is because I'm trying to be more strict with my five star reviews (enthusiasm just gets the better of me).

But there's plenty to be excited by here! The theme of this facet of Infinity is man's first steps into the solar system - and we get some great takes on it. James S.A. Corey contributed a prequel story from his Expanse series, and it's clear that this is his
Andreas
This Hard SF novelette was originially published in Edge of Infinity and won the Hugo and Locus novelette awards 2013. I've read it as part of The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection.
She tells the story set a couple of generations in the future solar system from the perspective of a transhuman octopus - one form of the eponymous "sushi" - mining, building and cleaning up around Jupiter's orbit. It is about stellar politics - the inner "Dirt" planets versus the outer sushi pl
James
An anthology of stories that I bought, and read, pretty much on the basis of the James S.A. Corey story, Drive. I'm loving Corey's Expanse series but I'm reading them faster than he's writing them, so the opportunity to pick up another one of his prequel short-stories (with a bunch of other authors that I hadn't read before) was too good to miss. The third story in the book, Drive is a human-interest story revolving around the relationship between Solomon Epstein (yes, that Solomon Epstein) and ...more
Liviu
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Finished the anthology which i bought 2 days ago for the Baxter/Reynolds/McAuley stories and they delivered

“The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi” by Pat Cadigan

- nothing for me here as the author's style just doesn't work for me;

“The Deeps of the Sky” by Elizabeth Bear

- a story from an alien's point of view on Jupiter; see comment above

“Drive” by James S.A. Corey

- excellent story set early in the Expanse; short but quite human-oriented more than anything; people discussing politics, science, e
Peter Tillman
My review and rating are solely for two fine stories, both available online:
Merged review:

The standout story for me was "The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi" by Pat Cadigan, a Hugo-winner and an easy 5-stars for me. http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/cadig...

Another good one: "Swift as a Dream and Fleeting as a Sigh" by John Barnes — http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/barne...

Here's the detailed review of the anthology to read, by G33z3r : https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
I remember liking th
Alytha
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
“The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi” by Pat Cadigan

- Interesting ideas, but unfortunately doesn't bother to explain basically anything, so it gets a bit deliberately confusing.

“The Deeps of the Sky” by Elizabeth Bear

- A story told from the p-o-v of an alien. Really liked it.

“Drive” by James S.A. Corey

- Gives some background to tech in the Expanse books. Apparently scientists work on their own, without failsafes then...also, gritty inter-personal stuff.

“The Road to NPS” by Sandra McDonald and
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Nominated for the 2013 Hugo Award for novelette.

I really like this story for the questions it asks. Would you change your species to survive in space?

And going out for sushi isn't what you think. Definitely worth the read, and I'm still thinking.
Tudor Ciocarlie
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best anthology of 2012 with great stories by Pat Cadigan, Elizabeth Bear, James S.A. Corey, John Barnes, Paul McAuley, Gwyneth Jones, Hannu Rajaniemi and Alastair Reynolds.
G33z3r
This anthology of stories based in near future in the solar system, featuring a hard SF theme, had a number of really entertaining stories (and a few puzzling ones.)

"The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi" by Pat Cadigan

I think "The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi" is an excellent story of both scifi and social commentary. The author, Pat Cadigan, writes with smooth, highly functional prose that contains a transient sense of humor.

The story takes place in Jupiter space, where formerly human wo
Anissa
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I never feel that I read enough in the way of short stories, so I try to get them in through anthologies (I seem to love acquiring solely science fiction anthologies). I bought this one a while ago and am glad to have finally got around to reading it. There are some gems here and as usual, some new to me authors that I now want to seek out longer works by.

The Girl-Thing Who Went Out For Sushi by Pat Conroy
Excellent story & my measure of those is that I get to the end & want to know more. I hope
Michael Burnam-Fink
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, sci-fi
This is an amazing collection of contemporary space-oriented scifi, mostly bent towards the weird, optimistic, and humanistic. Mosts fans will probably pick this up on the strength of a favorite name or three, since a good chunk of the last few decades is represented, but I enjoyed every story. All of them deal with space as a canvas for our ambitions, and ways in which those ambitions mix and collide. The stories are set within the solar system, so no FTL and only a few aliens, but that only in ...more
Otherwyrld
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A really good collection of short stories set around the exploration and colonisation of the solar system. While I pretty much enjoyed all the stories, the highlight was the Expanse> prequel on the live of Solomon Epstein and the story of how he came to create the drive named after him. It's a sublime piece of work on it's own by James S.A. Corey but taken into context of the series as a whole transcends this story into a 5 stars piece of work. Even if the rest of the stories in this collection ...more
Adrian
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
A solid collection. So many seemed like they could be larger stories, and ended up being largely about world-building; only a few had a conclusion that really concluded (most end with a move to something new for the characters). If that frustrates you, maybe steer clear, but if that entices you, a worthy read! All hang solidly on the theme about 'frontier' space colonies, early in their days, where so much remains formative and in flux.
Paige Ellen Stone
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently reviewed "Engineering Infinity." It is an anthology edited by Jonathan Strahan, as is this volume. Edge of Infinity, iis, in a sense, a sequel to Engineering Infinity. The premise is the same, put together an anthology of wonderful short works by some of today's Science Fiction and Fantasy writers.
As with his previous book, Mr. Strahan has triumphed in his quest.
Now, I admit, I just simply LOVE anthologies since I can read shorts works by some of my favorite writers and I am introduc
Carl V.
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
In the introduction to his previous original SF anthology, Engineering Infinity, Jonathan Strahan coined the term “fourth generation science fiction” to describe where he feels science fiction is and will go in the second decade of the twenty-first century. I feel obliged to note here that Strahan’s introduction is a perfect example of what an introduction should be. It does nothing to spoil any of the joy of reading that is to follow and instead references the purpose of the anthology and posit ...more
Ananda
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Good set of short stories about humanity's first steps into space. As with most collections they vary in quality but there are only a couple that I thought were not up to the standard of the rest. I really liked the stories from Corey, Reynolds, Barnes, Owomeyela, and Sterling. Corey's is a neat "origin story" for his Expanse series, in which he describes the mostly-accidental discovery of the Epstein drive from the point of view of its inventor, Solomon Epstein. Reynolds tells a neat story abou ...more
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.
Sunil
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
An impressive amount of worldbuilding for a novelette. Clever, original premise with a good sense of humor from its narrator. Although it was hard to follow, I enjoyed the detailed zaniness of it all, which is actually treated pretty seriously for such an oddball premise.
Kevin Kelsey
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great little short detailing the genesis of the epstein drive.
Fil Garrison
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Francisco Colmenares
Lots of good stories here.

Well worth the price. Some are straightforward in plot. Others require careful reading or repeat reading to grasp the author's point. For the most part these stories are about the implications of a situation or technology. Others are simply a short exploration with some world building. Not every story satisfied me, as I found a few lacking the proper execution. Others left me wanting to know more about the world presented to me. On balance it's a positive collection fo
Henry Davis IV
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
This collection of sci-fi is a very mixed grab-bag at best. Unfortunately, except for three stories at the most ("Drive" by James S.A. Corey, "The Road to NPS" by Sandra McDonald and Stephen D. Covey, and "Safety Tests" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch), most of the short stories featured in this book are heavy on political commentary (particularly current political "hot button" issues) and light on science and technology. I do not recommend purchasing this book and do recommending waiting for its few ...more
Clémentine
This gets a higher rating as a themed anthology than the mode of what I would rate each story. I really liked Safety tests by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. I was intrigued by the 'bureaucrat' POV. The deeps of the Sky by Elizabeth Bear was interesting, but the language was a bit difficult. I disliked the last story by Bruce Sterling and the way it portrayed women.
Patrick
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's definitely a mixed bag. There were plenty of stories I enjoyed, and a few that were not quite my taste, but I suppose that's the interesting part of an anthology...plenty to choose from, and you can just skip what you aren't into.
Tony
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
For me, the stories were hit and miss. Several I enjoyed, others not so much. It is an interesting mix of humans and non-humans with a technological bend, and I was fondest of the stories which used traditional storytelling format. Three of five on Goodreads.
Toivo Alp
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great collection.
I was particularly moved by the girl living with the moonpeople in "Tyche and the Ants" by Hannu Rajaniemi and thoroughly entertained by the mercurial gender norms in "The Peak of Eternal Light" by Bruce Sterling.
Agnieszka
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an anthology of of short stories set in the mostly human inhabited solar system, by different authors. Some of the stories are stronger than others.
Charl
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y2018
I only skipped one story. That's pretty damn good!
Steve
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read “Drive” by James S.A. Corey
Paul Lannuier
Some good stories, some snoozers.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please remove from series 4 24 Jun 01, 2015 06:30PM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: The Peak of Eternal Light 6 21 Jun 01, 2015 10:14AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Edge of Infinity edited by Jonathan Strahan 11 33 Jun 01, 2015 09:47AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Obelisk 4 19 May 20, 2015 09:34AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Water Rights 4 22 May 20, 2015 09:30AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi 10 49 May 20, 2015 09:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong series 2 27 May 18, 2015 11:21PM

• On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon's Children, #2)
  • Galactic North
  • Robot Uprisings
  • The Butcher of Anderson Station (The Expanse, #1.5)
  • Slow Bullets
  • Gods of Risk (The Expanse, #2.5)
  • The Medusa Chronicles
  • The New Space Opera
  • The New Space Opera 2
  • The Prefect (Prefect Dreyfus Emergency, #1)
  • The Expanse: Origins
  • The Long Cosmos (The Long Earth, #5)
  • The Churn (The Expanse, #3.5)
  • Polity Agent (Agent Cormac, #4)
  • Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)
  • Drive (The Expanse, #2.6)
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • The Loop

Infinity Project (7 books)
  • Engineering Infinity
  • Reach for Infinity
  • Meeting Infinity
  • Bridging Infinity
  • Infinity Wars (The Infinity Project)
  • Infinity's End (The Infinity Project)

News & Interviews

“Lucy glanced at him, sidelong. “Mr. Peretz, do I look any older now?” Pitar busied himself with the links of the necklace. He knew what he was hearing. One of those notorious female jabs that made male life so hazardous. This provocation had no proper answer. To say “no” was to accuse Lucy of still being a callow girl of seventeen. This meant that ten years of their marriage were capped with an insult. But to reply “yes” to Lucy, was to state that she had, yes, visibly aged – what a crass mis-step that would be! Lucy would swiftly demand to know what dark threat had wilted her beauty. Arsenical rock-dust fever? A vitamin imbalance in her skin?” 0 likes
“I’m glad that you’re happy, Mr. Peretz.” Pitar said nothing. He recognised one of those passive, yet aggressive remarks that women deployed for advantage. Whenever women said the opposite of what they so clearly wanted to say, hell was at hand.” 0 likes