Start by marking “Fire Season (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire Season (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #2)

Fire Season

(Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington #2)

Fire in the forest–and a cry for help from a trapped and desperate alien mother! Unfortunately, this is one cry no human can hear. Stephanie Harrington, precocious fourteen-year-old Provisional Forest Ranger on the planet Sphinx, knows something is wrong from the uneasy emotion that is flooding into her from her treecat friend, Climbs Quickly.  But though Stephanie’s alien ...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Baen (first published October 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fire Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Season

Liviu
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A disappointing sequel to A Beautiful Friendship; three main reasons why - most important there is little trace of David Weber's writing here as opposed to the first book which was all Weber; it may be an early Honorverse, set on Sphinx and featuring Stephanie but it does not matter if the writing magic is not there; second and related to this, the book morphs into pretty much standard YA fare and lacks the suspense and the intrigue of the first volume; third nothing much happens by and large

Ove
Stephanie A.
Still debating between a 3 and a 4, as like with any series, my fervor has already cooled. Maybe there wasn't enough from Lionheart's POV, maybe it was the way the continued focus on treecats having six legs (which I never envisioned before) started to creep me out, or maybe I just got bored with Anders in 5 minutes when Karl was obviously so much more appealing (admittedly, the former does seem like a genuinely nice person, but...he's ice potatoes and Karl is cluster stalk; you can't expect me ...more
Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: treecats, 2018
2018 re-read. Exceptionally good.
Cherry Mischievous
My Thoughts:
I'm not sure why this second book in the Stephanie Harrington series got an additional author in it, but there you go. However, it doesn't seem to make any difference to the quality of the book. It is still the same very good read! The world building and the character development has been established in book one already and continued on in this book. And maybe I've just gotten used to the voice of the author or gotten more immersed in this world, that this book seems to go faster tha
Valery
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
While it's a great book and I usually prefer David Weber's stories I was disappointed in the grammar. For a "Big 5" publisher they need to find a better editor.

For my clean readers:
Contains violence, teen drug use, and language.
Paul Genesse
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fire Season by David Weber and Jane Lindskold

FUN YA SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL

(very minor spoilers)

This is the second novel about Stephanie Harrington and her treecat companion, Lionheart, set on the fascinating treecat home world. I hadn’t read the award winning first book, A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber, and came to this novel as I’m a fan of author Jane Lindskold’s short fiction and her novels (Through Wolf’s Eyes, Thirteen Orphans). You don’t need to read the first book in this series, A B
Kathy Martin
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the second adventure featuring Stephanie Harrington and the treecat she calls Lionheart but who calls himself Climbs Quickly. This time a study team has come to the planet Sphinx to study the treecats to determine their intelligence. Along with the team comes the son of the team leader - Anders Whittaker. Stephanie develops her first crush on him which the team leader wants to encourage in the hopes that she will share more with the team than she has shared in the past.

Stephanie is also
Joshua Mandell
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A rare piece of excellent science fiction. I highly enjoyed reading this book, and I'm glad that I happened to notice my brother had finished reading it and needed something to read while waiting for morning to come in the train, because it was a great read. It managed to earn five stars from me for several reasons.

1 - The characters were well developed and varied, and actually were believable. I hear a lot of people saying that most F&SF novels are flat, with little character development an
Cris
I usually recommend people read a series in order to avoid spoilers and better appreciate character development. In this particular case though Fire Season would work quite well as an entry-point to the series.

It's a little odd to see such a short book from Weber; I thought he'd lost the ability to be concise. *grin* But Fire Season is just the right length. The plot moves along at a good pace but doesn't sacrifice character development. Weber does an unusually good job at creating female charac
Helen
Oct 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blergh. If I wanted to listen about some girl make a fool over some lad, I'd watch some tacky soap opera. I wanted treecats and spaceships, for goodness sake!

If I had the paperback, I could've just skimmed through and probably would've finished the book. But I really don't like listening to this sort of thing - even when I was a 15 year old girl it wasn't my thing at all. Disapointing.
Nka300
Since i had to wait a whole year to read it, my interest was on the low side. I had nothing else to read so i picked it up and read it in one sitting. It was definitely a wise choice to get over my reluctance. This too was worth my time and money.
Robert
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
It's a teen book but until the next Harrington book I will settle to read about her ancestor. Light reading for a Saturday afternoon.
Kathy Davie
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
Second in the Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington science fiction fantasy for young adults. The Honorverse is an overall label for stories and series that are offshoots from the Honor Harrington space opera series. In this case, the label is telling us that the series is about Stephanie and is part of the overall Honor Harrington Universe. If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Honorverse books on my website.

My Take
Unlike Tamora Pierce, I didn't find it thrilling or edge-of-m
Isis
Fire in the forest–and a cry for help from a trapped and desperate alien mother! Unfortunately, this is one cry no human can hear. Stephanie Harrington, precocious fourteen-year-old Provisional Forest Ranger on the planet Sphinx, knows something is wrong from the uneasy emotion that is flooding into her from her treecat friend, Climbs Quickly. But though Stephanie’s alien comrade shares a tight bond with his two-legs, whom he knows as Death Fang’s Bane, he cannot communicate directly to her the
Bjoern
Susan Mcneely
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Weber tells a compelling fast paced tale full of wonderful characters that make you call into the story with abandon! The relationship between Stephanie and climbs quickly is so intense and nuanced you won't soon forget either of them. If you don't have this book about Stephanie and climbs quickly yet you definitely need to add it to your collection! Love it!
Bill Scheidegger
This part of the Honorverse is aimed at a slightly different audience than the rest (i.e. teenage girls), but some of the little tidbits of information about the tree cats weave well with behaviors exhibited in other series. Other than the obvious extra overtures of teenage angst, this is a good addition to the Honorverse.
Michael
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great addition to the trilogy. I loved getting to know all of the characters better and getting to know some new ones. As with the first book, this one left me with the feeling that I had met the characters and wishing that I could meet them in real life.
Stanley
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the story

As usual David writes a compelling story, this book fills in gaps in his Honor Harrington history and helps to give you a mental perspective of the whole Honorverse.
Jeff J.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The second book in the treecat trilogy (?), set in the Honor Harrington universe, has the familiar flaws of middle novels: little story development as the author sets the stage for the big climax. Bring it on!
Rachel Boling
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great continuation of the story of Stephanie Harrington. I liked this one slightly better than the first; the first covers a lot more time, and introduces a lot of people and places, while this one is able to build off the first and focus more on the plot.
Daniel Hamad
It's YA. If you like fluttery school girls that do things normal school girls wouldn't, this one's for you. But it's good for what it is.
Debrac2014
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story! I liked how the two legs and the People worked together!
Jo
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as fun as the first

This book is just as fun as the first book in the series. I loved it. Great science fiction and the perfect read for teens.
Gail Morris
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great tale of forest fire danger & sci-fi mix
Lisa
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not as engaging as the first book, but still an interesting and enjoyable read.
Steven A Vogelfanger
Great read.

I love the whole Honor Harrington series. Weber is a fantastic writer who makes even the slow parts fast and interesting.
Jim
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it

New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal and international bestselling phenomenon David Weber delivers the second entry in an original young adult science fiction adventure series.

Young forest ranger Stephanie Harrington and her treecat companion Climbs Quickly battle natural forest fire and very human enemies on a pioneer planet.  Prequel to the Honor Harrington adult science fiction saga.

Second entry in a new young adult series by New York Times best seller David Weber, and the pre

Mark
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
Originally published at Walker of Worlds.

Fire Season is the second Stephanie Harrington novel, the new YA series from David Weber. I thoroughly enjoyed A Beautiful Friendship, so reading Fire Season was a no-brainer. I knew that Jane Lindskold was on board for co-writing duties, and I questioned how this would effect the novel, and how different it could be in tone and style to A Beautiful Friendship. Turns out the answer wasn't what I hoped for, and Fire Season marked a change in both style and
Alex Shrugged
"Fire Season" by David Weber and Jane Lindskold is a story for kids all the way up to my age. (I'm old! :-)) The writing is straight forward. The plot is easy to figure out. No surprises. This is the second book in the series.

You don't have read the first book, "A Beautiful Friendship," to enjoy "Fire Season" but it helps because this book assumes you are familiar with what Treecats and Hexapumas are.

Treecats are furry six-legged creatures that are extremely intelligent and look like large cats
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Space Opera Fans : Fire Season by David Weber 12 29 Feb 17, 2015 05:09AM

• Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • 1635: Papal Stakes (Assiti Shards, #11)
  • Dragon Ship (Theo Waitley, #4; Liaden Universe, #17)
  • The Trouble with Humans
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • Honor of the Clan (Posleen War: Cally's War, #3)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington (3 books)
  • A Beautiful Friendship (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #1)
  • Treecat Wars (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #3)