Start by marking “The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (Cat Who..., #22)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (Cat Who..., #22)

The Cat Who Robbed a Bank

(Cat Who... #22)

In this new installment in the bestselling Cat Who... mystery series Qwilleran and his brilliant Siamese put their whisker-twitching crime solving talents to task to find a killer.

The residents of Pickax are delighted that the old bombed-out Pickax Hotel is reopening with a whole new look. With new furnishings, a new chef, and even a new name, what could be more thrilling?
Hardcover, Large Print, 400 pages
Published January 4th 2000 by Random House Large Print Publishing (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Robbed a Bank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Robbed a Bank

James
Book Review
3 out of 5 stars to The Cat Who Robbed a Bank, the 22nd book in the "Cat Who" cozy mystery series, written in 1999 by Lilian Jackson Braun. In this catscapade (I think I am coining a new word here... probably not), a smooth ladies man or sorts descends on Pickax, taking ladies to tea. It's not as fun as it sounds... he's murdered. And his assistant looks guilty. But was it really her? Qwill gets to wear a disguise. The Scottish roots and heritage are in full play, which I love. An
Barbara

At first the 'Cat Who' books were REAL mysteries but - somewhere along the line - they became stories about a colorful community where murders happen to occur. In this 22nd book in the series, a jewelry dealer is killed and journalist Jim Qwilleran becomes interested in the case. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

Jim Qwilleran (Qwill) was a crime journalist in Chicago when he inherited a huge fortune from his mother's friend Fanny Klingenschoen. To receive the money Qwill had to move to
Piepie
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read! I love how you can jump in anywhere in this series and I love the author's way with words!
Libbeth
Dec 16, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobook, 2009
This is the first one in the series I have read and I gather it is very late in the series. I am sure I must have just picked a poor one to start with. There are dozens in the series so they must be very popular and surely must normally have a little more substance to them. I would imagine that if you read them in order you have the chance to warm to the characters and enjoy revisiting.
My goodness, how it droned on about what people were eating and wearing and what the rooms looked like.
***SPOI
Una Tiers
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the earlier books in the series,with a nice plot and fun character antics.
Garrison Kelly
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim “Q” Qwilleran and his Siamese kitties Koko and Yum Yum are thrust into another mystery when a jewelry dealer winds up dead in a hotel room and the salesman’s assistant as well as a local Highland Games athlete go missing shortly after. Koko, being the psychic kitty he is, drops little hints in front of Q that could be mistaken for hyperactive playing. The closer Q gets to solving this case, the more he realizes that Koko really is a genius and that even the strangest clues can pan out from t ...more
Loraine
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this Lillian Jackson Braun cozy mystery series shortly after it began. It is one of my favorite cozy mystery series containing all the elements that make one top notch: 1) It takes place in the small, quaint town of Pickax (somewhere in a wooded area) of the US. 2) The mystery solver is an unusual person with a great deal of perception. Jim Qwilleran is a writer fascinated with books and has two Siamese cats who tend to do things that give clues that help his detective instincts ...more
Kirsti
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
The mysterious Delacamp is making an appearance in Moose County, ready to charm the ladies into buying or selling their family heirlooms, and Qwill suspects no one can be as cheesy and get away with it. He arrives with his 'niece', and when he is killed in his sleep, the police and Qwill begin the hunt for the killer(s). It's up to Koko, with his usual clues, to give his understanding of the situation and help bring the perpetrators to justice. This one also sees the restoration of the Hotel, bo ...more
Carol
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second Read: As usual, I enjoyed getting back with the old gang of quirky characters in the Cat Who series. But that's about it. I certainly don't read these fluffy short novels for the mystery elements as this one once again proves. The crime is straight forward and the perp is identified pretty early on. I kept half expecting that to be a red herring but it was not to be. The rest of the novel is packed full of daily small town life in the northern US and includes numerous vignettes of the tow ...more
Gloria
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone over 18; detective; mystery stories; who done it?; cats
The town of Pickax is aflutter with the news that Mr. Delacamp is coming back. He buys and sells antiques and has a females-only tea party. Qwilleran plays security guard, with the help of some friends.

The hotel is renovated and everyone is in awe of the new look, new eateries, and the newly named "Mark Twain" suite, which Mr. Delacamp was in. Mr. Delacamp had an assistant, a very demure young woman to some, a flirt to others. She disappeared when he was murdered, taking a lot of valuable things
Sylvia
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read in the Cat Who... series, because I love my cats and was hoping for another good read. Qwill has a very strong attachment to Koko and Yum-Yum. The Cat Who Robbed a Bank was not a bad book and the overall story was somewhat entertaining, but it just wasn't a great book.
A few parts were confusing, like I could not understand how Qwill could burn the letters from his dead mother without finishing reading them. After all, it was still an ok read for a lazy afternoon
Rage
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if I've read this one before! I love this series. The characters are like old friends. Their lives change slightly with every book. Additionally, the setting reminds me of home (Michigan), and I think it's fascinating how things change over time - from a small town with nothing going on to this bustling place with a community college, a newly renovated inn, all kinds of restaurants... most of which is thanks to Qwill's fortune. I love how LJB develops her world. in this story, Qwill ...more
Lynne Tull
Nov 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Lisa Kucharski
(Warning of mild spoiler) Not a whole lot of mystery here, which gives the books more drama, this one was more like a soap opera of sorts, just visiting friends and finding out about the characters. This is the downside of this series, the mysteries become a bit weaker as the series gets toward the end. However, at this point I can read them just to visit with the character I like and at times, skim past parts that repeat past info.

(Spoiler) In this one Qwill receives a bundle of letters that hi
Susan Webb
I felt this one was a little rushed in trying to show guilt on someone, how they did it, why they did it, all that got lost somewhere. Not as good a story and the other ones I have read.
Susan Chow-Dukhan
Cozy mysteries are usually a quick easy read. The Cat Who Robbed a Bank satisfies the reader if that's all they're looking for.
I was looking for a little bit more, having read earlier books in this series. The roles of Jim Qwilleran and his cats, Koko and Yum Yum have been reduced to bystanders to the mysteries. In the books that I've read, the cats' behaviour and Jim's tingling mustache advanced the plot, as they helped Jim discover clues or make inquiries that led to the final confrontation. T
GCDiam
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been wanting to read this series for years - was fascinated by the titles... "The Cat Who....." - We have a Mr. K's Used Books, Music, and More nearby and I have been able to get the titles in order - every once in awhile I find a book not available and will go to Amazon and order it. I have learned to not get too involved emotionally with second tier characters as the author had a nasty habit of offing them once they became interesting. I have to say that the ending of this book left me s ...more
Marty
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think this series is of much interest to me. A pleasant enough discussion of goings on in Pickax. Sort of fictional gossip. Nothing very mysterious, nor any detecting that I could detect. I suppose figuring out how the actions of a cat indicate something about a crime that was committed is kind of a question, but there wasn't really any detection. Just wait for it all to play out and then go "Oh".
Here's a mysterious coincidence...the last chapter in the book is dated September 22, which
Vivian
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Formula:
Setting: a small midwestern town "400 miles north of anywhere".
Cast: two siamese cats and their owner, a retired newspaper reporter who writes a column for the local paper and who has inherited a sizable fortune which he lavishly donates to community interests.
Plot: the first third of each book introduces other characters, the second third escalates the murder mystery elements, the final third ramps up the action and solves the case.
There is a lot of wardrobe, interior design, and culin
Frances Scott
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
These books are kind of fun to read, but more for the quirky, oddball characters and goings-on of the town of Pickax. The crime story goes on pretty much in the background. The main focus are the dinners, art events, auctions, craft fairs, etc. And of course, the intuitive cats.

These books also tend to include a lot of interesting trivia that's worked into the stories in a variety of ways.

Clever, light reading with appealing characters.
Caroline S.
It's nice to return the familiar characters of Pickax every now and then. The mystery in this installment was pretty straightforward and played second fiddle to the county's locals, visitors, and numerous events. More interesting is the information Qwill finally gathers about his father. Nothing like a leisurely read for nostalgia's sake.
Sherrese Holder
I enjoy reading Lilian Jackson Braun books. They are my relaxing escape books. Not worry or intense a light who done it. The Ko Ko and Yum Yum always tickle me with their antics. I gave it a three star because this one seems to be missing something . I am not sure if it is building to her next book, it just seems like something is missing. I am still a fan and will continue reading the series.
Amy Miller
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this series! I’ve read them all and rate them all a 5. If you like quirky mysteries this is one you should cover. Jim Qwilleran is my kind of detective ... add in a couple of clever cats & what you have is involved, funny and interesting.
Dawn S
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read some of this series years ago, and enjoyed them. This one was meh...not a particularly mysterious mystery, and the rest was really scattershot. Braun crammed every resident of Pickax into this book.
Bridget
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Grepke
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another hilarious tale from the two wittiest cats and their mustache journalist! While a good read (as they all are), this one went extremely quick and felt a little flat. I will say that I qould love to see the bank Qwill purchased though! Sounds like a hoot!
Voula
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was very light reading, but I didn't feel like I got to know the characters very well. It was cute enough to keep me reading and finish the book, but I'm not sure if I'll read another one of these.
Gerry
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kook rides again

I love the cats, Koko and Yum Yum. I have owned or read most of the "Cat Who " books and can't get enough of them.
Monica
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cleaver kitties
Diana
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like these stories about Qwilleran and his two cats KoKo and Yum Yum. This one had a sad ending.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Robbed a Bank #23 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 10:11PM
STATSLIGE BANKER BLØDE MÅL FOR SVIG 1 5 Aug 04, 2013 09:10PM

• The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Whisker of Evil (Mrs. Murphy, #12)
  • Cat in a Golden Garland (Midnight Louie, #8)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more

Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)