Start by marking “A Winter Dream” as Want to Read:
A Winter Dream

A Winter Dream

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  4,126 Ratings  ·  634 Reviews
The #1 bestselling author of The Christmas Box and master of the holiday novel reimagines the biblical story of Joseph and the coat of many colors, presenting an inspiring modern story of family and forgiveness.

Joseph Jacobson is the twelfth of thirteen siblings, all of whom are employed by their father's successful Colorado advertising company. But underneath the success
Published October 30th 2012 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Winter Dream, please sign up.

Mara I am not sure if anyone has or not, but I read it recently and loved how Evans retold the Joseph story, setting it in corporate America. Did you enjoy…moreI am not sure if anyone has or not, but I read it recently and loved how Evans retold the Joseph story, setting it in corporate America. Did you enjoy it?(less)

A. R.
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually really like Richard Paul Evans' books. And I was genuinely looking forward to this one. I was anxious to see what he could do with a retelling of the Joseph of Egypt story. I was disappointed.

It was almost as if he were rushing to get the story told. Maybe he had a quick deadline. It read like a fact sheet instead of a story of man who was pushed out of his family. There was no time spent on the grief Joseph Jacobson must have felt as he realized his brothers were banishing him from hi
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This may just be my favorite Richard Paul Evans book so far. I was able to relate to many things about this story, and it was such a pleasure to read. Evans' writing is so profound and totally unforgettable. Definitely read this!
Stefanie
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Paul Evans wrote a beautiful story mirroring the biblical account of Joseph. The beginning started out slow for me, but really picked up and became hard for me to put down. The story reflects the life of Joseph, or J.J., telling the story of his career in advertising. This story is predictable if you know the biblical story of Joseph, but it has a modern day twist with the added love interest of the character April. It was such a sweet story telling of the ups and downs in life and how i ...more
Maxine
Nov 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Michael
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Biblical story of Joseph and his favorites is my favorite story in the Bible. It is full of so much truth and forgiveness that one cannot comprehend how one does not weep. Needless to say, I was looking forward to reading this book, told from that perspective. I am known to have a critical eye to Christian books,but this was not really in that category. I guess if you take into account that it was written from a biblical standpoint,but I digress.

In the initial pages, I thought that it starte
Jinky
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
(2.5)
Richard Paul Evans is one of my favorite authors and I turn to his books for a good feel read. This book had a lot of potential given it aligned with the biblical story of Joseph who was sold into slavery by his brothers. But this Joseph, Joseph Jacobson, was disappointingly passive. He was quick to accept the extortion from his brothers without a fight or question or depth of feeling. Yes, he did it so that his younger brother, Ben, would not face potential jail time but going along with i
Paula  Phillips
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say when it comes to inspirational fiction and tales, one of my all-time favourite authors would have to be Richard Paul Evans , his stories though they may be quick reads are utterly amazing and will have you sitting back and thinking as well as leaving the reader captivated as you hurriedly turn through the pages.
A Winter Dream is a modern day rendition of the biblical story "Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat". A hard story to re-capture into modern day but Richard Paul Evans ha
Linda
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This not really a Christmas book but it does have a few events that take place around Christmas so it could fit.

Richard Paul Evans, as always creates a very believable situation with amazing characters. In this case Joseph Jacobson is the main character, a man with 11 brothers and one sister. They all work at the family ad agency, though not happily in some cases. The jealous older brothers manage to make Joseph go away. He leaves reluctantly but in leaving he finds who he really is and he finds
Sara
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational, adult
"Life's greatest lessons are often those we most wished to avoid."

I really enjoyed this book. It is based off of the story of Joseph who was sold by his brothers in Egypt. I found it funny how a lot of the names were the same. I knew where the story was going and when things would change, but it did not take from the story for me. It is a great tale that life does not always go where you plan on, and sometimes we have many surprises and disappointments. But sometimes it is also for the best and
Bettie☯
didn't work for me...

NEXT!
Louise
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story Description:

Simon & Schuster|October 30, 2012|Hardcover|ISBN: 978-1-2803-6

The author of the bestselling phenomenon ‘The Christmas Box’ presents a new holiday novel about family, fate and forgiveness. Joseph Jacobson is the twelfth of thirteen siblings, all of whom are employed by their father’s successful Colorado advertising company. But underneath the success runs a poisonous undercurrent of jealousy; Joseph is his father’s favourite son and the focus of his brother’s envy and hatred
Leah
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an all right book. I liked the MC, Joseph. He was a good guy. April was nice, too. She wasn't in the book much, though. Most of the story was about his job/career. I don't care about advertising and the advertising business, so I found that part of the story quite boring. The bits involving his family were interesting, though.
Jashana
Dec 12, 2017 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Dnf. Couldn’t possibly get behind the ridiculous force-him-out-of-the-company scheme. Just go to your dad, the ceo, dude.
Darlene

I discovered Richard Paul Evans last year, when I listened to The Christmas List. I loved it so much that I vowed to read at least one Evans book each Christmas. I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to review his latest holiday story.

A Winter Dream is the modern-day retelling of the biblical story, Joseph and The Coat of Many Colours. In this version, Joseph "JJ" Jacobson is a 29 year-old man. He is the 12th of 13 children with 11 brothers and one sister. His father, Israel "Izzy" Jacobson
Cassandra Elise
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Light and fluffy adaptation of the story of Joseph from the Bible. There were just two things that bothered me about the book which kept it from a five star rating. Firstly, I felt very emotionally disconnect from Joseph. He was suffering, yet I didn't feel his pain. I don't know if this is because I was already acquainted with the ending, so I couldn't get emotionally invested in his tribulation, or if Evans just dropped the ball. Secondly, the cadence of the story felt...off. The first half of ...more
Ali Saeeed
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winter dreams should definitely be recommended to every high school student because is one of the best books that was ever published. The book has all kind materials and traits that makes a book interesting and read. Once you read this book you will not be able to stop until the end because the story is very well connected. The book has not hard or difficult to read at all because it is clear and at the same time excited. The author of the book, F. Scott Fitzgerald, did an incredible job making ...more
Jill
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This is the story of dreams, of a man named Joseph, favored son of a man named Israel, and a very special coat. Sound familiar? Of course it does … it’s from Genesis chapters 37-50. It is also from Richard Paul Evans’ long-awaited holiday offering, A Winter Dream. As he did with Lost December last year, Evans gives us a modernized story based on a beloved bible story and does it beautifully. In A Winter Dream, the main character is Joseph Jacobson (Jacob being another name for Israel) and he is ...more
Danielle
Well, if you know the story of Joseph, or have seen the musical, there aren't many surprises in this book.

However, I don't read Richard Paul Evans for surprises; that's what I have crime novels for. I read Richard Paul Evans for feel-good books that give me warm fuzzies and make me remember why humanity isn't all bad, and on that front, this book delivered.

The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five: I thought the inclusion of April was ... a little unnecessary, honestly. I wouldn't hav
Heather Scheer
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by one of my favorite authors. Every one of his books has been on the New York Times bestseller list. He seems to take the events out of someone's ordinary life and is able to turn it into a meaningful story.
Joseph Jackson, or JJ as his friends and family call him, has 12 siblings. His father is CEO of the family run advertising business in Colorado. JJ is his father's favorite and has a really keen eye and talent for advertising. His brothers are quite jealous; they belie
Donna
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sharon Chance
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was absolutely charmed by "A Winter Dream." I loved the way that Richard Paul Evans took the Biblical story of Joseph and his coat of many colors and adapted the story for today's readers. Evan's cast of characters are warm and personable, and the fast-moving story draws the reader in from the very first and doesn't let go until the end. It was an enthralling tale.

This is a story of faith, hope, and love, and I personally think it is one of Evan's best books to date!

If you are look for a holid
Francie
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love Richard Paul Evans books. Look forward to his Christmas book every year. I haven't read the Walk series but plan too as soon as I can. I never buy his books because my daughter get's them for me for Christmas but I think she has missed out on the series. This book was a modern story of the bible story of the prodigal son .
Chris
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started it one day and finished it the next night. Love when I can do that.
While I'm not a particularly a religious person, I do have a lot of beliefs garnered from several different religions. That said, I love RPE books. Always a good story and usually a quick read, which is a really nice thing once in awhile.

Rebecca
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-reads
Time after time Richard Paul Evan is a great storyteller. I loved this modernized telling on Jospeh and his Coat of many colors. There are so many great quotes in the book. I loved reading it during this Christmas season. I was drawn to the character and found myself wanting to see where Joseph and April go with their life with raising their children.
Diana
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful story. I absolutely love Richard Paul Evans ability to tell a story. This was a modern day retelling of Joseph and his coat of many colors. It as brilliant! I felt like I was part of the story and that's what makes it so good. Loved it!!
Grace
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was good...but very predictable. I would say not one of his best. A nice holiday book, but nowhere near the caliber of The Christmas Box, all in all a good read while in a dr. office for 2 hours! :)
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Richard Paul Evans book. I really enjoyed this one and I'd recommend it to all of my friends. It was a simple yet thought provoking story. It's one of those stories that makes you what to do more and be more.
Paula3
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy books by Richard Paul Evans. They are very hopeful, yet easily predictable stories. This book was loosely based on the biblical story of the the prodigal son. The pace of the book kept me engaged the entire time. Easy, but good read.
Marianne
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not the holiday season without some Richard Paul Evans but this book was a snoozer and lacked any surprises.
Annie
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably my least liked books from this author.
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
  • The Christmas Note (Christmas Hope #6)
  • Angels at the Table (Angels Everywhere, #7)
  • The Snow Angel
  • An Irish Christmas
  • Christmas with Tucker (A Dog Named Christmas #0.5)
  • The Christmas Clock
  • An Amish Gift
  • The Christmas Child: A Story of Coming Home
  • Remembering Christmas
  • A Season of Angels (Cape Light, #13)
  • The Quiet Little Woman, Tilly's Christmas, Rosa's Tale : Three Enchanting Christmas Stories
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Ireland
    $10.49 $2.99

“My Dear Son,
I am so very proud of you. Now, as you embark on a new journey, I'd like to share this one piece of advice. Always, always remember that - adversity is not a detour. It is part of the path.

You will encounter obstacles. You will make mistakes. Be grateful for both. Your obstacles and mistakes will be your greatest teachers. And the only way to not make mistakes in this life is to do nothing, which is the biggest mistake of all.

Your challenges, if you let them, will become your greatest allies. Mountains can crush or raise you, depending on which side of the mountain you choose to stand on. All history bears out that the great, those who have changed the world, have all suffered great challenges. And, more times than not it's precisely those challenges that, in God's time, lead to triumph.

Abhor victimhood. Denounce entitlement. Neither are gifts, rather cages to damn the soul. Everyone who has walked this earth is a victim of injustice. Everyone.

Most of all, do not be too quick to denounce your sufferings. The difficult road you are called to walk may, in fact be your only path to success.”
46 likes
“Life is the soil, our choices and actions the sun and rain, but our dreams are the seeds.” 4 likes