Start by marking “The Little Mermaid” as Want to Read:
The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid

A beloved under-the-sea tale is now a pop-up masterpiece, from expert craftsman Robert Sabuda.

Come along on a magical journey under the sea in this stunning pop-up adaptation of the beloved fairy tale “The Little Mermaid,” expertly crafted by renowned paper engineer Robert Sabuda. Amazing three-dimensional paper structures pop off each page, bringing this classic underwate
Novelty Book, 12 pages
Published October 1st 2013 by Little Simon (first published October 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Mermaid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Mermaid

Start your review of The Little Mermaid
Calista
Robert Sabuda is a craftsman with Pop-ups. They are amazing to watch and so beautiful. This is a beautiful reading experience. Robert has a full page spread with one giant pop-up after another in this book. Each page has a little white box that tells the story several pages with it’s own pop-ups. The last page with a whole stage and wedding set up is mind blowing. How does he do that.

I think it’s the first time I have read a version of the classic fairy tale. I’m familiar with the movie, but I k
Marquise
One of the loveliest pop-up adaptations of a fairy tale I've ever seen, totally worth hunting down for a copy to display on your tale treasures cabinet! ...more
Vitani Days
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ragazzi
Uno dei pop-up più belli che io abbia mai visto e letto.
La storia della Sirenetta (quella vera, non l'edulcorata versione disneyana) narrata attraverso vere piccole opere architettoniche di carta, deliziosamente colorate e simili, per stile, ad eleganti vetrate medievali.
Davvero un gioiello da esposizione, impossibile da recensire.
Il solo modo per renderne un'idea è aprirlo e lasciarsene incantare.
Tammie
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing description of the Little Mermaid the author captures the reader with interactive pop ups that allows the reader to go inside the classic story. The pop ups are amazing in detail with bright colors that enhances the mood of the story.
Demi
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sabuda is always a master of pop-up design and execution, but this is his best yet. The pop-up ship is unreal, and Sabuda does an incredible job of keeping the bittersweetness of the original fairy tale while still pursuing the whimsy of his art.
Mary Catherine
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite stories ever and I had actually never heard of these pop-up books before (suffice it to say that I will now be getting all of them whenever I can!). I love the pop-up aspect of it - both the giant pop-ups on the main spreads and the tinier pieces that are all held down when not in use through corner tabs. Gorgeous illustrations that really complement the fairy tale.
Charisse Nichole
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
These popup books blow my mind. They are so good. And I love how they retell the story based off of the original tale with the original ending (or similar at any rate), while including tidbits from the Disney version, too. Very well done and great writing. Loved the pictures and popups. Definitely a great work of art.
Cara Byrne
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the most stunning pop-up book I have ever seen. There are pop-up pages within pop-up pages, and the stained-glass illustrations (with their murky colors and thick black outlines) are gorgeous and so well-fitted for this tale. This would make a fantastic gift for a book lover!
Siobhan
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Robert Sabuda's popup books are always a treat. This one also has an ending close to the original. She doesn't get the prince in the end! ...more
Danielle Hess
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful.
Keith
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
another classic by Robert Sabuda. Lucky for us, he stuck to the original story instead of the Disney-fied version. Both versions are good but I prefer the original with its mystical ending.
Heather
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Beautiful, but definitely not the Disney version.
Sam W
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A pop-up retelling of the Little Mermaid, with the added benefit of a slightly happier ending.
Rita
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, pop-up
Another gorgeous pop-up book by Robert Sabuda. He is amazing! I checked this book out from the library and I wanted hide and keep it for myself!
Debby Baumgartner
Classic Sabuda popup.
Greta
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
Amazing pop up adventure on every page. A work of art, for sure.
Robin
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-up
Depressing story with gorgeous pop-ups
Dalene
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story is very sad, but the artwork is amazing! Robert Sabuda worked really hard to make this such an amazing pop-up book. He succeeded as well! Perfect book for kids and adults alike.
Asho
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulouse Robert Sabuda pop-up book! These books truly are art. Each page has all of us literally gasping "Oooh" and "aaaaah"! These books really need to be seen to be believed. One note about this one is that it's the original Hans Christian Andersen Little Mermaid, so it's pretty dark. I realized as I was reading it aloud to 8-year-old S and 5-year-old L and nearing the end that this was not going to be the Disneyfied happy ending version. Both were a bit taken aback by how this one en ...more
Taylor Nichols

• Battle Hymn of the Republic
  • Sweet Remedies: Healing Herbal Honeys
  • Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
  • The Wild Swans At Coole
  • Four Letter Word (Dirty Deeds, #1)
  • After Apple-picking
  • Ode to the West Wind
  • Unicorn Day
  • The Dream of Perpetual Motion
  • The Reigning and the Rule (Surviving Time, #2)
  • Chameleon Assassin (Chameleon Assassin, #1)
  • The Life and Afterlife of Harry Houdini
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • The October Country
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • Legacy (Keeper of the Lost Cities #8)
Robert Sabuda is internationally acclaimed for his stunning pop-up books, including America the Beautiful and The 12 Days of Christmas. He is also the illustrator of Chanukah Lights by Michael J. Rosen. Robert Sabuda lives in New York City.