Start by marking “The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

(Mara Dyer #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  145,110 ratings  ·  15,579 reviews
Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.
Published October 23rd 2012 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Book_Lover_8 Oh, he's definitely real.
Renee Yes there is. A typical I hate boy but I end up loving him scene.

·  145,110 ratings  ·  15,579 reviews

Start your review of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)
Emily May
Jul 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, 2013, young-adult
Warning: this review contains flashing gifs and foul language.

I've spent two years avoiding this book. I remember in 2011 when I stumbled across that exciting GR description and pretty - if slightly creepy and discomfiting - cover, but my initial curiosity was quickly dampened by the reviews from my trusted goodreads friends. And for nearly two years, I have listened. My intentions were to never give this book/series another thought,
Tatiana
May 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "Hush, Hush"
Well, let me get this out of the way - The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has nothing whatsoever in common with The Adoration of Jenna Fox, even though their publisher-provided plot descriptions are almost identical. What it is similar to is the infamous bestseller Hush, Hush, but it is just a tad less offensive. So, if you are a fan of that novel, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is your next natural reading choice.

I'll attempt to refrain from excessive ranting here, but, goodness, this novel is just as bad (or
Wendy Darling
1.5 stars Welcome to yet another teen romance masquerading as a paranormal novel. If you’re like me, you’ve been salivating to read this book for months because of the breathtaking cover—and of course, the premise of a girl waking up in a hospital with no memory of how her friends were killed is pretty intriguing. I’m sorry to say, however, that the maddening phenomenon I’m calling “cover fraud” strikes again, since this is another book whose interior does not live up to its beautiful cover art.
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After feeling this was a 3 Star read (based on content) that I had a 5 Star time reading, I decided to meet in the middle with a 4 Star Rating. 😂 Just go with it. All you Mara Dyer haters out there, I get it, there are all the same issues here that people had with Twilight and all the other hyped teen paranormal books of the era. I found them too, but I was prepared going in; I didn’t pick this up until after everyone else had already read it so I knew that these books set feminism back about 100 y ...more
Steph Sinclair

Hmm...Where do I even start with this book? I guess I should start by saying The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and I have this awkward love/hate relationship. If this book were a person, it'd be the boyfriend I sometimes had fun with, but never wanted to take with me in public because I knew he would do something stupid and embarrass the hell outta me. For majority of the first half of the book, I wanted to stomp it into the ground with my pair of patent leather pumps. However, somewhere along the lines,
"That's All" Ash
 photo download-17.jpg

This is THE best book I’ve ever read.

I don’t rate my books one star to five stars. I rate my books one-star to “The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.”

People always want to know what my absolute hands-down favorite book is. And it’s funny because when they ask, they always give me that good minute-long silence for me to think it over. But I never need a minute. And I probably never will.

This is my favorite book.

This book is my trump card whenever my friends and I are talking about the most amazing books ever written during those 3 a.will.
This♦This
Lola
What a strange book.

So strange in fact that I don’t know what to make of Mara Dyer.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is peculiar. It’s a paranormal story with scenes that border on illogical and highly infused with sometimes cringe-worthy, sometimes heart-stopping romance.

BUT.

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
You know when you read a book and you can stop rolling your eyes and think “I’m too old for this shit”?!
Well, that was me reading this book.

The premise was interesting. A girl uses a ouija board with her friend. She wakes up in the hospital not remembering how her best friend died. Paranormal things start happening…

But there were so many bad YA tropes I just couldn’t deal.

Conversations that would never happen between teenagers (come on nobody will quote a few sentences
Katerina
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
“But without my big mouth, no one would know that a seventeen-year-old who likes Death Cub for Cutie was responsible for the murders. No one would know that somewhere out there is a B student with a body count. And it's important that you know, so you're not next.”

This book messed with my sanity. It teased it, played with it and then tossed it aside and left me trying to gather my wits, something that felt like catching feathers in a tornado. Impossible.

I was very hesitant to start this book. I was convinced it would be nothing special and I wouldn't like it. You can imagine my surprise when I felt hooked to this story since page 1. Page 1. That's all it took to dive in a unique reading experience that almost sent me straight to the asylum. (pun intended)

There's not much I can say about the plot without spoiling you except that it follows the story of Mara Dyer, a girl whose best friend was killed when they were together and couldn't remember anything about it. She was traumatized, she couldn't put it behind her despite her family's efforts and love, she saw ghosts and things no one else could, and she was certain she was going crazy. And then she met Noah Shaw and everything changed.
“And just like that, I was completely, utterly, and entirely,
His.”

What makes The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer a unique reading experience

-The mystery. The mystery is tangible and gives you the creeps. There was something utterly disturbing sinking in my skin, giving me goosebumps and making my heart race. You needed answers but you didn't get them. All you got was more questions and a sense of foreboding. And a brain smelling like roast potatoes.

-The paranormal element. Dead people making appearances, portraits looking at you, bugs at your food, horrible deaths etc etc. I will not be able to look at my bathtub the same way again.

-The humor.
“One little joke involving hemorrhagic fever and they brand you 'unstable'.”

As you can imagine some light moments were essential to make you breathe, and Michelle Hodkin knew exactly how to make you laugh (or giggle maniacally, depends on the person-not that it happened to me.)

-Noah Shaw.
“What could I say? Noah, despite you being an asshole, or maybe because of it, I'd like to rip off your clothes and have your babies.”

Hot. Arrogant. British. Owns a massive book collection. Loves dogs. Pant-dropping smile. Sensitive. Extremely and unexpectedly sweet. Hot.
I loved his scenes with Mara, the way he refused to give up on her and supported her. He can be the one to save her from the darkness or doom her to a life deprived of light.

What say you? Care to give it a try?

Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | BookNest
jessica
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh, hey there, noah shaw. welcome to my harem of book boyfriends. ;)

also, you know how they say good althetes sacrifice their bodies for their sport? well, good authors will sacrifice their minds. and michelle, sis. im worried about you. because this is beyond psychotic. lol.

Lori
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I truly have no idea where to even start. I'm sure if I just said 'Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow' over and over again that it would get my point across just fine, but that might be a little repetitive and inarticulate. I'm going to try to get my very gushing thoughts in order for you guys.

When I opened the pages of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer I had no idea what to expect. The synopsis really doesn't give you much, and I like it that way. The vague synopsis, the eerie cover, and the fa
emma
remember when i read a 2011 classic in 2018 and it went about as well as you'd expect based off that insane sentence??? yeah. i posted the review. find it here: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

-----

Well, this book didn’t exactly age like a fine wine!!!!

This is the wearing-eyeliner-on-your-bottom-lid-but-not-your-top of books. The I Heart Justin Bieber graphic tee of series start-offs. The Twilight of YA fantasy paranormal romance. Wait. Twilight is the Twilight of that.

Anyway.

Th
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fQpa...

People have been recommending this to me for ages and I just decided to pick it up on a whim recently and oh my freaking god, this was amazing. I flew through this and literally had to force myself to put it down and get some sleep.. it was that good. The characters were amazing, the plot was amazing, the writing was amazing, IT WAS SO GOOD. It really wasn't what I was expecting but in the best possible way. I'll film a more coherent review soon, I need time to process
John Egbert

description

Replace "with you and Jade i guess?" to "with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer?" and the reply can stay the same.

Yes. I went there.

Warning

description
(Yes I am actually aware of how juvenile that was.)

There will be no love for Mara Dyer here. If you have a problem with that, I suggest you go read another review. The funniest part is that whenever I make a warning like this it ends up getting ignored anthere.
megs_bookrack
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
**4.5-stars**

Oh my goodness.
That was SUCH a good time.

I had no idea what to expect going into this. It is a series I hear about all the time. One of those, 'everyone has read it but me' series. The one you hear EVERYONE talking about but can't relate...

For 2019, I created a TBR jar for myself to help me clear off some of my backlist titles and this was the first book I pulled. I kne
Cait
L A i N E Y
Shit Shit Shit Noah effing Shaw Shit Shit Shit Shit

Damn you for making me squeal like an idot in front of other people!

Damn you.

For the past week I must have started close to a dozen books and this was the only one that I came back to and actually held my attention. I don't want to jinx it by proclaiming it had broke me out of my month-long slump because really it's too early to tell but what I can definitely say is my attent
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

I've had this book on my TBR before, but then I removed it because it looked too fluffy you know... But it was still on my ereader so I thought, "Why no give it a go?"

I'm so glad I did, because I could have missed out on one of the best stories I have ever read!

Mara Dyer has just survived a horrible accident, her friends weren't so lucky.To help cope with the stress, her parents move the entire fa
Aj the Ravenous Reader

I’m definitely with Aunt Cassie (Clare) on this book. It’s completely romantic and intriguing, I was definitely drawn in from beginning till end and I did not expect that I’d like this book that much. It probably has a lot to do with Noah who had me swooning from scalp to toenails. I think I have a new book boyfriend!

I’m sure the plot wasn’t perfectly played and I definitely spotted loopholes in the storyline but you don’t get to read a lot of good paranormal stories these days. The
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Re-read in November 2014
THE ENDING THE ENDING OH MAN I FORGOT THAT WAS THE ENDING. My general thoughts on the book remain the same as the last time I read this; the romance was a bit cheesy, but the mystery and plot twists really held the whole thing together!

Onwards to book 2!!

First read in January 2013
WOOO. AWESOME BOOK. At times the main Mara and Noah gave off a very "Bella & Edward" vibe which was a bit of a turn-off for me, but the whole mystery and creepiness of the book/>First
Nick
Sep 19, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
description

I keep hearing mixed things about this series.I am intrigued to read it because of the mind thing and it really sounds interesting.Any feedback?

April
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a mind trip this book was! Throughly enjoyed it!
C.G. Drews
This book was so darn creepy and delicious that I just want to take a moment to shriek: IT IS REALLY GOOD at you. Okay. I'm good now. I've done my shrieking.

HAHAHA JUST KIDDING I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY.

So I went into this book knowing a lot of people liked it but not knowing really what it was about. <-- #StoryOfMyLifeSinceIAmTooLazyToReadBlurbs (My bad.) But it's basically about Mara Dyer (SURPRISE) who has PTSD after an accident that killed all her friends. So she and family move to a new town. Start a new li
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
This beauty is currently on sale for 1.99 (it's usually I think 10.99?!?) http://amzn.to/2xiinVD

description

“I didn’t know what was real, what was a nightmare, what was a memory.” – Mara Dyer

Well Mizz Mara Dyer, you and I have that in common. I spent the majority of this book in a state of utter confusion with the question “WTF is happening?” on repeat in my brain.

Let’s brclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Lala BooksandLala
Regardless of the flaws, this story captivated me. Everything was too easy, the characters too clichéd, the romance too center stage, considering the "paranormal" genre it's put in..but I'm still hooked, feeling very "*~omg omg noah shaw*♡"
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“And just like that, I was completely, utterly, and entirely,
His.”

4.5/5 stars

Michelle Hodkin is such a good author. The novel just grips you and won't let you breath until you've read it all!
Most of what I have to say about the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is positive.
I've read it twice now and I have to say that I really very much enjoy reading the dialouges. I mean, I enjoyed all of it, but especially the dialouges. They're funny, sassy, sexy, always taking turns.
T
Giselle
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
I think this was probably my most anticipated book in the past months, and I also think that was it's downfall. You really look forward to a book. Everyone is saying how incredibly awesome it is. Nothing could ever be as good as this book - except maybe Daughter of Smoke and Bone - so how can it possibly live up to my already extreme expectations? Well... not like this.

Mara Dyer - Oh Mara Dyer, you had such an awesome beginning. A mysterious and creepy letter to set the mood. A strange event no
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Beautiful madness is a perfect description for this book. Surprising in every way possible or impossible, it was breathtakingly beautiful, slightly tragic, suspenseful and mysterious, weirdly humorous and a 100% absolutely fascinating.

I love the way Michelle Hodkin writes! Seriously it was almost impossible to set this book down.

Mara and Noah are both amazingly interesting characters, that seem to have the same paranormal problems in their lives. Each thinking themselves misfits in the world i
Saniya
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eva Rian ☾
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was sooo good

• Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
  • Obsidian (Lux, #1)
  • Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
  • Restore Me (Shatter Me, #4)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
  • Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
  • Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
Michelle Hodkin is the author of the Mara Dyer Trilogy, which was a New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling series. The trilogy, which includes The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, and The Retribution of Mara Dyer, was described as “haunting and dreamlike” by Cassandra Clare and “darkly funny, deliciously creepy, and genuinely thoughtful” by Veronica Roth. ...more

Mara Dyer (3 books)
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
  • The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3)
“Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.” 2941 likes
“What would you do if I kissed you right now?"
I stared at his beautiful face and his beautiful mouth and I wanted nothing more than to taste it. "I would kiss you back.”
1322 likes