Start by marking “A Not So Respectable Gentleman?” as Want to Read:
A Not So Respectable Gentleman?

A Not So Respectable Gentleman? (The Fitzmanning Miscellany)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Welbourne Manor's Prodigal Son Returns

Since Leo Fitzmanning returned to London, he's kept his seat at the card table warm, his pockets full of winnings and his mind off a certain raven-haired heiress.

Until whispers at the gaming hell reveal that Miss Mariel Covendale is being forced into marriage with an unscrupulous fortune hunter!

Leo must re-enter the society he detests
Mass Market Paperback, 283 pages
Published July 24th 2012 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about A Not So Respectable Gentleman?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Not So Respectable Gentleman?

CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Leo Fitzmanning leaves England with his life in shambles. His stables burnt, his dreams of developing a stud farm in ashes, his betrothal to the girl of his dreams broken, he vows to change his life. Now, two years later, he returns to London a proper rake. He is prepared for almost everything, except for his own infernal reaction to the woman who broke his heart.

Mariel Covendale has a problem. Not only does her sweetheart leave her high, dry and broken hearted, her father is forcing her to marr
Alexia Chantel
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A Not So Respectable Gentleman is an enjoyable historical romance. It brings a little bit of mystery, some misunderstandings, and a hero who works to be redeemed in his ladies eyes.

The plot is well laid out and the characters full of wounded emotions. Leo is a great hero, wanting to aid the woman he believes tossed him over for a titled gentleman. It is nice that Leo and Mariel figure out the miscommunication that occurred early on in the book, then they can get on with moving past it and openi
Susan
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Diane, what happened to your heroine? Could she be any stupider? Your heroines are usually complex, smart women. Mariel is not. She's dumb, unimaginative, and weak. What kind of an HEA will she be able to give Leo? She's a "fair weather friend", folks, and weeps when things don't go her way. Ugh.
Trenchologist
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having not read the previous in the series, I can say you don't need to and I really enjoyed glimpses of all of them; might track down the other titles. Interesting and strong characters, brisk plot, excellent 'ticking clock' that goes down to the wire and a well-rounded happy ending.
Aunbrey Parker
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
J'ai choisi ce livre en ayant parfaitement conscience de quoi il retournait. Qui dit romance historique, dit scènes bien ridicules, dit yeux humides de désir, dit contact électrique entre les protagonistes, dit histoire quasi inexistante au profit de la romance. Je savais dans quoi je m'aventurais quand j'ai commencé ce roman. Des fois, je me dis que c'est un peu la honte de lire des trucs pareils mais c'est ce dont j'avais besoin sur l'instant. Une histoire bien guimauve et marshmallow. Une his ...more
Phoenix77
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
When browsing in my local bookstore I rarely glance at the category books available. Somewhere along the way I became prejudiced against these books, believing them to be the romances my mother used to read. However, I may need to reevaluate my dismissal of these titles when there are gems to be found like Diane Gaston's latest, A Not So Respectable Gentleman. What made this book such an enjoyable read was the quick pace of the story, with characters that were allowed to be intelligent and pract ...more
Dottie
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
An intriguing historical romance, which I rated 4.5! Taken from my review at RomanceJunkies.com:

Leo Fitzmanning, the illegitimate son of the Duke of Manning, has been working hard to overcome his family’s scandalous reputation. Years earlier, his father had left his wife to live openly with the equally married Countess of Linwall. They had lived their free-spirited, bliss-filled, yet unwed, life together for twenty years. Leo and his two sisters had been a product of that life while the duke als
Abby Helstrip
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I always enjoy a novel that has the power to sweep you of your feet.

A novel that gives you a chance to forget all your worries for a little while. To lose yourself in another world.

The title would suggest this ever so gentleman to not be so respectable, but it makies me wonder is the title to be so ever misleading?

This inspiring gentleman may not be respected by others, but he is indeed respected by me.

He is nothing but someone who is trying to find away without anyone valuing him as nothing les
Lisa
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: november-2016
It wasn't the most terrible book but it was definitely not the greatest. There is a lack of spark between characters and the action scenes were boring and played out. I bought this book from a thrift store and I am glad for that.
Cindy
I really enjoyed this story, it broke me out of my reading slump. The storyline was intriguing, it was filled with action and a hero that one could easily fall in love with.
Harlequin Books
The Diamonds of Welbourne Manor series conclusion!
Frances
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: regency-romance
Except for unappealing characters, stilted dialogue, and a too often repeated reliance on earlier books in the series, this wasn't too horrible.
Kim
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Really a 4 3/4! Wish there were more of the Diamond books to come. Leo's story just made me want to read them all again and I know if I do that I will be bugging the authors for more.
Danae
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Average over all. Though the hero Leo was an interesting character. Glimpses of his siblings intrigue me sufficiently to try the earlier books in this series.
Maggie Spry
Average read. It kind of dragged on amd got boring to me.
Michelle
Jan 18, 2016
Robin Chapman
Oct 10, 2016
Donna
rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 07, 2012
Mary
Nov 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Diane Gaston’s dream job had always been to write romance novels. One day she decided to pursue that dream and has never looked back; she is now writing full-time. Her books have won Romance’s highest honour—the RITA Award, the National Readers Choice Award and the Golden Heart. She lives in Virginia with her husband and three very ordinary house cats. Diane loves to hear from readers and friends.
More about Diane Gaston...

The Fitzmanning Miscellany (4 books)
  • The Diamonds of Welbourne Manor: Justine and the Noble Viscount / Annalise and the Scandalous Rake / Charlotte and the Wicked Lord (Harlequin Historical)
  • How To Marry a Rake