Start by marking “Lady with the Devil's Scar” as Want to Read:
Lady with the Devil's Scar

Lady with the Devil's Scar

Badly disfigured Lady Isobel Dalceann has fought fiercely to defend her keep, with little thought for her safety. Why, then, has she let a stranger within her walls? While he threatens danger, his battered body marked by war mirrors her own scars and tempts her to put her faith in him.

Marc de Courtenay is a mercenary and a loner, although he is drawn to damaged
Paperback, Harlequin Historical #1102, 288 pages
Published August 2012 by Harlequin (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lady with the Devil's Scar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady with the Devil's Scar

Maribel
Libro que va de más a menos. Es una historia sencilla basada en un asedio a un castillo, en la que me ha fallado la facilidad con la que los protagonistas resuelven sus problemas.
Por cierto, me llamó la atención lo de que era una mujer "terriblemente desfigurada" pero cuál ha sido mi sorpresa cuando la única imperfección que posee Isobel es una cicatriz en la cara a pesar de la cual todos los hombres caen rendidos ante su belleza.
Katherine 黄爱芬
Sudah lama sekali saya tidak membaca Historical Romance sebelum abad 18. Setting novel ini adalah Skotlandia abad 14, yg seharusnya menawarkan sesuatu buat dahaga saya yg haus akan sejarah. Tetapi sayangnya novel ini masih belum memadai.

Lady Isobel Dalceann adalah pemberontak terakhir, duri dlm daging Raja David, raja pada saat itu. Maka raja mengutus Marc de Courtenay, duta dari Raja Phillip dari Perancis, utk menguasai benteng Ceann Gronna, milik Isobel. Marc yg pernah diselamatkan
Tandie
DNF. Way too descriptive for my tastes! The narrator did Marc's French accent so well, I was wavering on this one. Both MCs are major horn dogs, they share their detailed thoughts and actions constantly. It actually kept interrupting a promising story and there was too much to be able to skim over the dirty bits. Eet eez aye major boomer, mon amies!
Kay
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
3 1/2 Stars ~ With her father and husband both dead now two years, Isobel Dalceann was chieftan of her clan. The Ceann Gronna Castle was the last to holdout to King David, all because her father had refused his loyalty to the Scottish king. To protect her clan from the King's anger, she had no choice but to fight, for to surrender now would surely mean death for them all. The day she dragged the strangers from the ocean, she also faced the anger of her own clan. They would have preferred to kill ...more
Rosemarie
Aug 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book. I liked it in the beginning, the premise was interesting, but a few chapters in it went off the rails for me. An example, the heroine has a badly injured arm, has recently watched her friends die, was captured and locked in a tower by the hero, who she thinks has betrayed her, and all she's thinking about is sex. Look I'm all about sexual tension between the hero and the heroine, but when the context makes sense. I don't expect main characters to be perfect, or always ...more
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
It’s been a while since I’ve read a non-Regency HR and I am reminded of how much it SUCKED to be a woman in the Middle Ages. Not very romantic to me. Still, I love a warrior heroine, and scarred at that. This didn’t really play into my favorite tropes though, and was more about intrigue than angst.
Megan
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Refreshingly entertaining for this genre. The plot was actually developed and characters were a little more realistic/relatable.
Lisa
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a solid book with good, developed characters and a plot that kept the stakes high. I liked the hero and heroine and believed in the development of their relationship under the extraordinary circumstances.

Isobel Dalceann is a Scottish Chieftainess who is trapped in a war with King David. Her dangerously unbalanced father chose to defy the king and therefore condemned her people as dissenters and outlaws. Then her father died, leaving her stuck with the king's wrath and the pr
Mnms
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
A story of war and intrigue. The characters story was sweet, but not really dominant.
Lisachan
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ogni libro va inquadrato nel genere letterario al quale appartiene, e per essere un Harlequin Il segno del diavolo è sicuramente molto carino. Al di là delle imbarazzanti scene di sesso colme di ellissi e perifrasi di ogni genere (che però mantengono una certa attrattiva, quantomeno nella quantità di LOL che ti dà leggere espressioni come "il caldo turgore" e "il bianco latte della sua resa" XDDD), la storia si rifiuta di restare intrappolata nei classici canoni del softcore per signore, e finisce (a v ...more
Cris
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicos
Até agora, todos os livros que li da autora foram bons. As historias tem sempre um fundo histórico real por trás dos acontecimentos, o que me agrada muito.

Isobel ajuda a salvar três náufragos, e leva Marc, um dos náufragos, como prisioneiro, para seu castelo, para poder salvar sua vida. O problema é que ela não sabia que estava dando guarida para seu pior inimigo.

O pai de Isobel se revoltou contra a coroa e se recusou a entregar suas terras, e com sua morte a colocou em u
Nurul Badia
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
It's all about the story of war and intrigue in The Middle English Era. The beginning is very exciting, with a thrilling and dramatic rescue at sea. Then it starts off with a bang bang bang, then continues with an exciting rescue at sea of the hero by the heroine (loved this part), followed by his convalescence at her keep, Ceann Gronna. Isobel, our heroine, is in charge of the keep after the death of her father and husband. Her father had rebelled against Scottish King David and she herself is ...more
Susan
Good book. I really liked Isobel and her independence and strength. She was determined to protect her people, in spite of the odds against them. When she rescued Marc from drowning she knew it would be a mistake to take him to her keep, but she did it anyway. There was something about him that drew her to him. She decides to treat his wounds then send him on his way, as she knows better than to trust any strangers. Two months later he is back, leading a force that is to capture the keep for the ...more
Dancer
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I will admit that it took me several chapters to get into the characters of Marc and Isobel, but I am glad that I stayed with it. James tells a tale that tugs at the heartstrings and is the perfect story of the time.

Kelly_Instalove
Grade: B-

He kissed like a warrior would, taking what he needed without discourse to the properness of society, her timid answer pushed away into sheer and blazing want.

Sophia James, along with Julia Justiss and Elizabeth Rolls, was one of my “gateway” Harlequin Historical authors – I glommed her entire backlist when I first got my Kindle.

James is one of those authors that I enjoy, but not enough to rave about, and Lady With the Devil’s Scar fits right in that middle territory – I liked it, but not/>
Amanda
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: brain-junk-food
I actually liked this book. I think that there was some obvious lacking in the inexperience of mystery and intrigue story telling, but it still held my attention. Not to mention it was a nice break from all the Regency Novel's I had been reading. The plot was fast moving, thus ending up a quick read. Nothing bothered me too much about the main characters, which is nice, because it is so easily done in romance novels. That being said, I don't have anything overly nice to say about it or anything ...more
Bernadette Rowley
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I did love the strong characters in this story especially Lady Isobel who is determined to face the world on her terms. Unfortunately even this lady needs rescuing, sometimes from herself and her choices. Marc is the perfect mysterious hero, ready to guide her through the mire of intrigue in the Scottish court. But this wild Scottish lass will never be completely tamed and in Marc, she finds a man who can match her bravery.
Natha
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entah kenapa beberapa buku terakhir yang kubaca selalu melibatkan tokoh heroine yang terlalu mandiri sampai-sampai membuat tokoh heronya sedikit kepayahan harus membujuk sang heroine menerima cinta si hero. >.<
Diane K. Peterson
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very well written book from Sophia James. I enjoyed this time period - 1375 Scotland - since it is somewhat unknown to me. There was good tension and conflict plus the characters were interesting. Good book.
Betzacosta Betzacosta
el sumary me intereso mucho, no es que fue mala, pero fue normal
todo se soluciono muy rápido y es como que la amenaza del rey que después resultó ser un pan de dios y todo milagrosamente se soluciona...
Audrey
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical Mills & Boon my secret vice lol
Loretta
Animal attraction turns to love through a wild ride of conquest and surrender. Fun, fast read.
Sisilia
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quite a plot-twister... and of course a happy ending. Nonetheless, it's a satisfying read alltogether.
Usagi Tsukino
May 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical, m-f
I see I'm the only one that dislike this book. Well, whatever. =__=
Linda
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Quite enjoyed it though for some reason it took me a while to get into. I had to restart it from the beginning.
Nancy
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an easy read, so long as I wasn't looking for historical accuracy. The denouement of Marc's heritage was interesting but I don't feel it was explained enough.
Angie
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this romance, though I was a little let down by the abrupt ending.
Marcella
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
it started out sort of odd but got better as you got into the story...still sort of add way to write it but not a bad read
Julia
Aug 04, 2012
Tj Peterson
Jun 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 04, 2015 01:24PM

• Forbidden Jewel of India (Herriard, #1)
  • Some Like to Shock (Daring Duchesses, #2)
  • How to Disgrace a Lady (The Rakes Beyond Redemption #1)
  • Lady Drusilla's Road to Ruin (Ladies in Disgrace, #2)
  • The Last Cahill Cowboy (Cahill Cowboys, #4)
  • Captured for the Captain's Pleasure
  • Warrior of Ice (Warriors of Ireland, #1)
  • An Escapade and An Engagement
  • Chosen for the Marriage Bed
  • Taming the Wolf (de Burgh, #1)
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • Montana Bride
  • His Enemy's Daughter
  • The Highland Laird's Bride (Lovers and Legends, #3)
  • Beneath the Major's Scars (The Notorius Coale Brothers, #1)
  • Mistaken for a Lady
Georgette Heyer novels formed Sophia James's reading tastes as a teenager lying in the sun on her grandmother's porch overlooking a wild west-coast beach.

Her writing life, however, started in Bilbao, Spain. After having three wisdom teeth extracted she was given a pile of Mills and Boons--filled with strong painkillers she imagined that she could pen one, too.

Many drafts la