Start by marking “Alice on Her Way” as Want to Read:
Alice on Her Way

Alice on Her Way (Alice #17)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,243 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
It’s the moment Alice has been looking forward to for years—her sixteenth birthday is coming up, and that means getting her driver’s license, with the freedom that entails. And before that important milestone, there’s another delicious taste of freedom awaiting Alice and her friends—a class trip to New York City, promising some serious partying once chaperones have gone to ...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Alice on Her Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice on Her Way

Katie
Jul 31, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls from ages 14 to 20
Shelves: read-once
Because this is the most recent Alice book I've read I have to take this time to praise this series! I LOVE the Alice series! I grew up with Alice. I just recently discovered that the author had written four books I hadn't read in the last three years. I kind of forgot about Alice my Sophomore year and then this summer I picked them up again! I have learned so much from reading these books and Alice is my favorite character from any book I have read. I have always wanted her as a friend. I liked ...more
Rebecca
Yaay! Alice attends the Our Whole Lives (OWL) sexuality class at her church--Cedar Lane. Thanks for spreading the UU/UCC gospel, Ms. Naylor.
Elissa
Jul 31, 2014 Elissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice gets a new boyfriend. She learns how to drive in anticipation of becoming 16 and goes on an overnight field trip with her class to NYC, where she and her friends get into some shenanigans. Alice's dad signs her up for a sex ed class at her local church.

Book takes place: Spring semester of 10th grade.
Alice's life lessons: Respect yourself and respect your partner. And if you don't respect yourself or your partner, maybe you shouldn't be with them.
Best Alice moment(s): Pamela as a head; Sam'
Mar 05, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This was my first Alice book and I understand why they are so popular![return][return]Excited about her sixteenth birthday, finally being able to drive, and kissing her boyfriend without braces, Alice feels like she will be practically an adult in a matter of months, yet when she is forced to attend a class on sexuality at the local church by her father, Alice comes to realize that being an adult isn't actually based on a driver's license.
Jun 27, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was great! Alice is about to turn 16, and there are so many things happening in her life. She's started dating Sam, she's going on a school trip to NYC, and she's practicing her driving skills so she can get her license. Oh, and I didn't mention the best part. Her dad signed her up for a class at church titled "Our Whole Lives," which is a sex-ed class that addresses important topics like communication, orientation, gender issues, values, and more.

I loved every minute of the book - eve
Jaddey Cabrera
best book ever love this series
Jaemi
Jan 25, 2009 Jaemi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, ya-fiction
As Alice leaves behind the realm of tween-hood and heads toward sweet 16, the stories in her life take on less of a laugh-out-loud tone and turn more serious. Of course, growing up is only funny in retrospect, and were I younger I might not find Alice so funny to begin with.

Picking up about where we left off with the last book, Alice's dad is now married to her old English teacher, Lester has moved out of the house and makes only rare appearances, and she's back in the realm of the single. Most
Samantha
Soon to be 16 and driving Alice has a big sophomore year. She begins dating Sam who's also on the newspaper. This new relationship excites her, especially when Sam pushes the limits of Alice's sexual experience.
In fear of Alice moving too quickly with Sam, her father signs her up for a sex ed class through his church. At first, Alice is infuriated, but after attending a few sessions she is grateful for the knowledge she gains and the openness with which the instructors approach the subject.

Mea
Lucy
Jun 17, 2007 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like their ya with a strong voice
Shelves: teen
This book is back in the spirit of the Alice I know and love. Alice is a sophomore now, and she and her friends are dealing with all sorts of new issues. Alice is taking a class called "Our Whole Lives" at her church - about sex and sexuality. Pamela is dealing with the return of her wayward mother. And Alice has a new boyfriend - Sam - who adores her.

Unsurprisingly, I love Alice and the relationship she has with her friends. Pamela, Elizabeth, Gwen and the other girls in Alice's circle of frien
Laura Hughes
May 17, 2013 Laura Hughes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girly-ya
Alice begins dating Sam after a friends-hanging-out night that seamlessly and breathlessly turns into a date, a scene that's realistic and exciting (in a low-key Alicey way). Unlike busy Patrick, Sam always has plenty of time for Alice and fills her days with romantic gestures. Alice likes this at first, but eventually becomes uncomfortable with the clinginess. This main plotline felt very real to me, and I appreciated seeing a sympathetic firsthand view of the person who is less invested in the ...more
Xiao Yan
Dec 06, 2007 Xiao Yan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-year-07
In this book, Alice is really on her way, she is already a sophomore, and she’s 16, still troubling over algebra, getting excited about her driver’s license and the best part, going to New York alone on a school trip with no parents and last but not least finding a date for a dance. yeppie for Alice!! Alice just broke up with Patrick, but now Sam asked her to go!!!!! It all started when Sam asked Alice to help with a newspaper assignment and then at the end of the assignment, Sam finally asked ...more
Ella Hensley
Sep 25, 2015 Ella Hensley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was about a girl named Alice. She goes to New York for a class trip, and when the teachers are sleeping, her and her friends go sneak off to parties. Alice is also trying to learn to drive because all her friends can drive.

I liked the book. There were exciting parts like when they snuck out in New York, and there were sad parts like when she broke up with Sam. I like how it talks about her friends lives, too. I would recommend it to other people.
Abigail Smith
Oct 31, 2011 Abigail Smith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Alice On Her Way combines the elements of both romance and humor fiction. This book had scenes that included sexual content and was centered around the ideas of sex. Some other characteristics that make Alice On Her Way considered for banning is that the book contains foul language. Some of the conversations that the girls have in this book are a little out there because most of it is about hooking up with guys and talking about their boyfriends. Another thing that makes this book considered for ...more
Nancy
Alice, about to turn 16, has a new boyfriend who is too clingy, is desperate to get her driver's license and flunks the driving test twice, and deals with questions and issues regarding sexuality in part because of a class her father signed her up for at church, and in part due to the actions of friends. At first she's mad about the class, but ends up finding it informative and useful in being more clear about her own sexual values. Alice and her friends help another girl who is being physically ...more
Emily
Apr 22, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. I didn't realize it was a series until I finished the book. But other than that it made me want to read the rest of the books. Its so well written and every teenage girl will probably relate to Alice, one way or another.
Zaneta
Nov 13, 2007 Zaneta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults
This book is about a fifteen year old girl named Alice. She is just an ordinary teenage girl that is living her life, until one day her father signs her up for this program at a church. At first she is furious because her father didn't even bother to tell her that he was signing her up for this "Our Whole Lives" program. She's disgusted because she learns that in this program they learn about adult things. However as the book goes on she learns that she's happy that she's in this program and she ...more
Cory
Jul 07, 2015 Cory rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read quite a few of these Alice books, and generally like them. This one just seemed stilted and weird and like it would have been better if it had been written by a younger person. Mean but true.
Angela Pan
May 17, 2010 Angela Pan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice and Patrick broke up. Then Alice starts dating Sam. Her dad sign Alice up for a class in the church call "Our Whole Life" in the class they talking about sex and similar stuff. At first Alice was mad at her dad for signing her up for this class but she ends up liking it. Pamela doesn't like her mother because she left her and her dad for another guy. Her mom is trying very hard to make Pamela like her again.

Alice have typical high school girls problems. Sometimes she finds a good solution
Chloe
Apr 01, 2016 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Alice. Considering I have my drivers test coming up soon, I liked reading about Alice's trouble getting her license...hopefully that won't be me. But at least I know it won't be the end of the world if i fail lmao
Lindsey
Alice is still a sophomore. They go on a school trip to New York, where both exciting and not so great things happen, Alice has boyfriend troubles, and other friends have other relationship troubles, which is such a coincidence because Alice's dad has signed her up for a church class about sex! Now, I went to an all-day church seminar on sex once, and it was not nearly as liberal as this one. In fact, it was truly awful. But I'm glad Alice had a better time at hers.

Seriously, how does Phyllis Re
Jian
Jun 13, 2009 Jian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I really like this book because its something that i can be realted to. this book is about a young girl who's name is Alice, one day her father signs her up a program at the chruch without telling her. At first she hate the facts that her Dad sign her up with out her permissions. but as she learns new things in this program she enjoys. everyone should read this book because once youre done you will appreciate more of what your parents had done for you. instead of complanning about it at first. O
Bernice Tsao
Mar 21, 2016 Bernice Tsao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
breezed thru this book...
♡ Kristina
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
Winnie
Jun 12, 2009 Winnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one book out of the series and from this book on i see the change in Alice. i think that its very interesting how teenagers can really change because of their age. girls were all like " boys have cooties " and then fall in love with them five years later. i like this book a lot because i can definitely connect with Alice and her maturing. theres so much change and she can only handle so much, but she has the help of her friends to get through this time.
Akilah
Apr 14, 2009 Akilah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the series that I've ever read, and I have to say that I really liked it. It took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I just dug the way the author handles the teenagers and the things they think about and talk about. It felt very authentic and realistic, especially the way the plot kind of jumped around even as it was completely linear and coherent.

I wish I had been able to read this when I was in high school.
Tori
Oct 18, 2008 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
I didn't mean to reread this, but when I was checking the Alice books at the library to see if anything new had come in, I couldn't remember where I was in the series. It wasn't until I got to the trip to New York that I realized I'd already read this one. Anyway, it's great as are all the Alice books. I think every girl should read them. Too bad I can't get my own daughter too, though my (adult) son loves them!
Brian
Nov 10, 2013 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice deals with boyfriend and friend drama in this good addition to the Alice series. Alice starts dating Sam, who appeared many books ago. But is he too much for her? Her friend Faith continues to date the abusive Ron. Will this story come to a happy ending? This was a fun read, and I like how the books keep getting longer and more mature as Alice gets older. I'm almost done with this series!
rose
Oct 02, 2007 rose rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i love love love the alice books, she always seems to be the same age as me, and i always learned from her and the things happening in the books... but this latest book... she's gotten too good. i was hoping for a little more teenagerness. cmon mrs. naylor, dont stop the amazingosity now.

but the series is amazing, and im going to keep reading them, even if they are a little too timid now.
Pamela Hubbard
This is probably the most "adult" of the Alice books in terms of the issues she deals with. Some of the major themes surround intimacy and sexual issues. Alice and each of her friends deal differently with how they treat their bodies and how much respect they have for themselves. Alice also learns what she wants out of a relationship and gets her driver's license.
Aleeza Batara
I was really excited when Alice got her driver's license. She failed two times and then the third one she got a success!!! A really bad event that happened is that her dad signed her up for a class in church without telling her, and without asking her if it was okay or not, so Alice got really mad at her dad. I really like this book xD
  • Family Secrets
  • The Drowning of Stephan Jones
  • Lily's Ghosts
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • The Arizona Kid
  • Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-deliverance & Assisted Suicide for the Dying
  • Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Flashcards of My Life
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • Face the Music (Hannah Montana, #9)
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Reluctantly Alice (Alice, #3)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice in April (Alice, #5)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)

“One way to tell if you're really comfortable with a person is if you can be quiet together sometimes and not feel awkward. If you don't feel obligated to say something brilliant or funny or surprising or cool. You can just be together. You can just be.” 19 likes