Start by marking “A Cat Was Involved (Chet and Bernie Mystery 0.1)” as Want to Read:
A Cat Was Involved (Chet and Bernie Mystery 0.1)

A Cat Was Involved (Chet and Bernie Mystery 0.1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,122 ratings  ·  140 reviews
Spencer Quinn's first original e-short story reveals how everyone's favorite detective duo (Chet the Dog and P.I. Bernie Little) came to meet before their first big case in Dog On It.

As fans know, Chet first met Bernie on that fateful day when he flunked out of K-9 police school. The details of that day though have always remained a little vague (like so much in Chet's dog
Published August 14th 2012 by Atria Books (first published June 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Cat Was Involved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cat Was Involved

Red Rover by T.  HammondRed Rover by T.  HammondThis Dog's Afterlife by David ShockleyWalking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill MarkoeA Cat Was Involved by Spencer Quinn
Humorous Paranormal Canine
5th out of 19 books — 37 voters
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronLost And Found by Amy ShojaiRoam by Alan LazarOne Good Dog by Susan  Wilson
Dog's Eye View
24th out of 110 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Spencer Quinn’s first original e-short story reveals how everyone’s favorite detective duo—Chet the Dog and P.I. Bernie Little—came to meet before their first big case in Dog On It.As fans know, Chet first met Bernie on that fateful day when he flunked out of K-9 police school. The details of that day though have always remained a little vague (like so much in Chet’s doggy brain). All we know is that Chet had been the best leaper in his K-9 class, but for
Jami
I loved this prequel! Of course, Chet is one of my favorite characters anyway. The only small odd thing was the ex-wife; in the books, Chet is clear that Bernie and the wife are together when Chet first joined the household, but at the time this book starts, the ex is already an ex. No matter, minor detail, I still loved it. It was certainly odd having a story where Chet isn't yet worried about finances! This was also my first foray into the world of ibooks, which was an experience unto itself!
Pattianne
A CAT WAS INVOLVED - A CHET AND BERNIE STORY #0.5

Brian Quick
Cute short story, showing how Chet met Bernie. .99 for about 20 pages of new story, but a fun quick read for fans of the series.
Amanda
I liked this short story with Chet and Bernie. The story involves how Chet meets Bernie and what really happen that day when Chet failed his K-9 training class.
Patti
Kathy
Joanne Moyer
A short story prequel to Dog On It that tells us how Bernie and Chet met and explains the mystery as to why Chet never graduated from K-9 school. Amusing, fun and recommended
Candice
In the other Chet and Bernie books that I've read, Chet alludes to what happened on the day he flunked out of K-9 school and the day he met Bernie. It's nice to have that fleshed out, and it was as entertaining as all the books in the series. I liked the way Chet was drawn to Bernie from the moment he smelled him. They make a great team! Hawaiian shirts also figure in the story.
Michelle
Great quick read. Cute story seen from the viewpoint of a dog. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.
Lis Carey
Fans of Chet and Bernie will know that Chet often mentions, but never fully explains, how he flunked out of police dog school on the very last day, the very last test, the leaping test, his best thing--and all because of a cat.

This is that story.

It's also Chet's first meeting with Bernie, and recruitment into the Little Detective Agency. The two soft-as-mush tough guys begin to get acquainted, and start to learn how to work together.

If you're a fan of Chet and Bernie, this is a sweet, charming a
Steve
Chet, the German Shepherd, tells this story, the short story that led to the series that begins with Dog On It, which I enjoyed. Chet’s (and Quinn’s) voice is consistently fine canine perspective, particularly what are matters of importance (crullers!) and what are not (the humans said…). My second helping of Chet and Bernie, and I will surely be back for more. A great short read if you are sitting and waiting or on the porch in the shade.
Beverly
Chet met Bernie on the day he flunked out of K-9 police school. The details of that day thoughhave always remained a little vague. All we know is thatChet hadbeen the best leaper in his K-9 class, but for some reason he failed his final leaping test...and that a cat was involved and that there was some blood. The test, the cat, the blood signal the start of a beautiful friendship. A great prologue for the Bert and Chet series. ...more
Charles Kee
Good intro to the Chet and Bernie series

This is a prequel to "Dog On It", the first of the series, which I read before encountering this story. It would serve as an excellent way to be introduced to the series even though a novel allows for a richer story, more mystery, and more plot twists.
Debbie
This is really a short story, the prequel to Dog On It and the entire Chet & Bernie mystery series, but it fills in a blank for me & it’s important enough for me to record as book. (Count it as a novella: honestly, it’s hard to know how long it was since it was on my Kindle.)

This series is my very favourite. It’s light-hearted enough to be narrated by the dog, which device is a source of much humour. But it’s always a good, serious mystery too.

This short story filled in the blanks of Che
Megan Kelly
Chet the Jet has teased us with "this story for another time" about how he flunked out of canine police school. This also chronicles his first meeting with Bernie Little, now his human partner in the Little Detective Agency. Thoroughly enjoyable. Classic Chet.
Danny L. Peele
A great duo!

I've read the other books in the Chet and Bernie series and enjoyed them. But this story fills in the blanks on the back story of how Chet and Bernie got together. A good place for readers to get introduction to these funny heroes.
Cathy
Chet is probably the best dog in print, I really enjoy these stories. This one wasn't much of a mystery, unlike the novels, but it was a treat to see how Chet and Bernie met and to finally know how Chet washed out of K-9 training. Fans of the series should enjoy the story. I can't believe I've gotten so behind in this series. I just stated another ebook or I'd jump right into the next book in the series that I need to read, I think I'm at least three behind, plus at least one more short story ab ...more
Meo
I love Chet the jet. The short wasn't right about Bernie already being divorced from his ex-wife after he adopted Chet. Someone missed that, but it was a great read while waiting for the next installment.
Carol
This is a short story, not a whole book. It would have been a 4 star, but I was disappointed in the length. I knew it would be short, but it seemed really short.

This is a prequel to the Chet and Bernie series that I love. For the uninitiated, Chet is the dog partner of private investigator Bernie Little. The stories are told from Chet's point of view. This prequel tells the story of when Chet met Bernie, when Chet flunked out of K-9 training.

I've listened to the other Chet and Bernie books as a
Evelyn
A short story about how Chet and Bernie first met. I knew that Chet chased a cat instead of finishing his police course, but the whole story is heartwarming and hilarious.
Rosemary
Great fun story!

finally the back story I was waiting for, how Bernie and Chet got together. I knew Chet was a good, smart dog and this proves it. Great story.
Victoria
This fast and fun e-short story opens up with Chet the Jet’s infamous last day of K-9 school, and we finally all learn just how a cat was involved in his disgrace in the jumping portion of the test. But Quinn remains careful to hide away the exact details still of Bernie’s fall from the police force. Causing some confusion, however, is the fact that Bernie is already divorced here. Though it has been a while since I have read the first book in the series, I recall having the distinct impression ...more
Pam
Cute start of the series

Fun short story that fully explains how Bernie and Chet became the dynamic dual featured in this fun series. Chet at his best.
Megan
This is a short but very charming story of how Chet flunked out of K9 school on the last day and ended up with Bernie. I think its brevity worked in its favor.
Michele
A fluffy (pun intended) and fun read.

A Cat Was Involved explains the much referenced story of how Chet and Bernie meet. Despite a timing issue (as we know from later books in the series, Bernie and Leda are still married when Chet comes to live with Bernie whereas in this story Leda has already left Bernie), it's understandable that Spencer Quinn played fast and loose with the timeline to keep the story light.

I'm not a fan of pet stories in which the pet is the narrator but the Chet and Bernie
Nancy
Very brief short story prequel where Chet recounts his first meeting with Bernie Little following his flunking K9 training.
Ellen Thielen
I thoroughly enjoyed this since it was essentially the "prequel"" of my favorite series!! Short and sweet!
Lara
A short story, but the prequel to the Chet and Bernie series. Good to read the back-story as to how these two misfits ended up together. All those hints and references in the main novels .. well there was a cat and .... are revealed. Not entirely consistent with other parts of the main series, but never the less a good read.
Kathryn
I really enjoyed reading this short story about Chet failing his K-9 training and hooking up with Bernie. A must for fans of this series.
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • Open and Shut
  • Nooses Give
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • Rapid Fire (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #2)
  • Cat Bearing Gifts (Joe Grey #18)
  • Show Dog
  • Picture This
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • The Black Heart Crypt (Haunted Mystery #4)
  • Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom
1932450
Spencer Quinn lives on Cape Cod with his dog Audrey, and is hard at work on the next Chet and Bernie adventure.

Spencer Quinn is a pseudonym of author Peter Abrahams.

Series:
* A Chet and Bernie Mystery

More about Spencer Quinn...

Chet and Bernie Mystery (8 books)
  • Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #1)
  • Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2)
  • To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #3)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Chet and Bernie #4)
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)
  • The Sound and the Furry (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #6)
  • Paw and Order (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #7)
  • Scents and Sensibility (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #8)
Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #1) Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2) To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #3) The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Chet and Bernie #4) A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)