Start by marking “Shiver Me Timbers!: Pirate Poems & Paintings (with audio recording)” as Want to Read:
Shiver Me Timbers!: Pirate Poems & Paintings (with audio recording)

Shiver Me Timbers!: Pirate Poems & Paintings (with audio recording)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Arrrgh you ready for this jaunty collection of pirate poems and paintings? Includes audio!Ahoy mateys—it’s time to hoist up the anchors and set sail with a pack of pesky pirates! In this hilarious collection of nineteen poems with audio, readers will meet scoundrels, scalawags, and scurvy dogs (human and canine). They’ll partake in battles, treasure hunts, and some pirate- ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Shiver Me Timbers!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shiver Me Timbers!

Angela
Aug 03, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
A pirate poetry collection by a master poet and a lively artist making a winning combination. The poems are nicely organized by pirate theme (terminology, code of conduct, names, skill sets, meals, fortune-seeking, the flag, etc). Here's a short one that gives you the feel:

RULE OF THE PIRATE
Licensed pirate: pirvateer
Ruthless pirate: buccaneer
Aim of the pirate: comandeer
Rule of the pirate: have no fear.

Recommended for schools and libraries, as well as a great gift book for young'uns with a pencha
Kjsmit11
Mar 05, 2014 Kjsmit11 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smith-grades-3-5
This book was so cute! I love the fact that each individual poem had its now title and pictures. The illustrations in this book were incredible. There was so much detail in each picture and I think students would love looking at the pictures as they read the poems. As the title implies, the book contains poems that are all about pirates. However, each poem is different in its own way. Most poems in this book rhyme, which I think is important for students to read and understand them better. I als ...more
Amy
Jan 09, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of 19 short poems employs stereotypical pirate-speak to describe all aspects of a pirate’s life, and manages to be instructive (“The Pirates’ Code of Conduct” states, “It’s best to yell/And blest to smell”) and informative (“Pirate Patter” defines some of the most-often-used pirate vocabulary), as well as witty (“A pirate’s life is topsy-turvy,/Full of strife and rife with scurvy”) and entertaining (“At night we navigate by starrr!/We’re hard as nails with many a scarrr!”). The i ...more
John
This well-written poem explores the adventures of young pirates, along with their antics. Shiver Me Timbers is a great book to introduce poetry to children, making it fun and eventful. The illustrations give the reader a child-like feeling when exposed to the vibrant colors and little detail. The characters are even painted with watercolor to add a sense of casual to the already casual pirate scenes. Every page is filled with colorful artwork and a short poem describing the life of a pirate, suc ...more
Rachel
Jul 03, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun variety of poems about pirates with detailed fun illustrations.
Laura Mcclanahan
Oct 19, 2013 Laura Mcclanahan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 544
Genre- Children's Poetry

What an incredibly cute book! It is a collection of what pirates eat, say, wear, do, and how they travel- basically, the life of a pirate! Each poem is accompanied by colorful and vivid cartoons of pirates of all shapes and sizes.

For younger grades, this book is very appropriate in that it uses humor and rhyme to capture its audiences (one pirate discusses all the ways of being punished, but the worst is being forced to "eat me peas"). At the same time, this book would be
Emily Holter
May 01, 2014 Emily Holter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Another great poetry book by Douglas Florian! Kindergarten and 1st grade students will especially love this pirate poetry book. There are nineteen funny poems in this book that will have children laughing along as they read. I chose this book for younger elementary students because this book doesn't contain a lot of advanced words. It provides poems that rhyme and tell about pirates.

The poems all sound like a pirate is speaking, too. It tells where pirates live, what they wear, how the talk, an
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Some of the poems are fun but the entire books seems a bit odd for kids- the poems mix the grubby and violent realistic pirates with only touches of the comical, sanitizes version typically used for kids. The pictures are a bit heavy with the thick, dark outlines too. Although they sometimes contain women and racial minorities, I'm surprised that it's still white men typically portrayed, especially in active and power roles. However, my daughter has requested a pirate poem more than once and I d ...more
Leah
The collections of semi nonsensical funny poems with a pirate theme made me laugh. The poems were frolicking and all had to do with pirating things. The illustrations were bright and colorful and matched the comicalness of the poems. A great book for boys and girls who are not into flowers and princesses or who find poetry intimidating or hard to understand.

Recommended age 5-8
Reading Level 2nd – 3rd grade
Jen
Sep 19, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-picture-books
Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day, mateys! (Sept 19) The images are delightful and filled with lots of small details (like a rat dressed like a pirate - eye patch and cutlass tied to its waist!) and the poems are terrific to read aloud because of the rich word play. It's a treasure trove of a pirate's life!
Stacey
Jul 26, 2013 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Florian, D. (2012). Shiver me timbers: Pirate poems and paintings. New York, NY: Beach Lane Books.

Poetry: Shiver Me Timbers (2012) by Douglas Florian, an energetic and lively book of poetry looking at the lives of pirates, captivated my children and gave them an appreciation for poetry. While no two poems are alike, Florian delves into the language, habits, and heroes of the pirate world (one poem depicts Blackbeard writing a letter to his mom). Robert Neubecker’s illustrations cause children an
Clarcy
Sep 17, 2013 Clarcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shiver Me Timbers by Douglas Florian is obviously a book about pirates. Each opening contains a little poem pertaining to pirates behavior. The illustrations are done in India watercolor and then digitally enhanced.
The context of the book is mostly encouraging and explaining pirate behavior, both for little boys and girls. Some of the illustrations include girl pirates, which I liked. The little poems are very interesting, as they are written in the jargon if pirate and they teach children what
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
From rhyming to rhythmic these pirate poems are full of the sounds of the sea and pirate jargon. Sure to delight pirate lovers, these poems are full of fun, adventures and pirate lore.
Elizabeth
Nov 24, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very cute book of Pirate poems for kids. A great way to introduce kids to kid-friendly poetry and introduce them to pirate vocabulaaaarrrrry.
Jeanne Williams
Lively collections about everything from pirate's weapons, to their diet, to their patter (pillage, scurvy dog, heave to, etc.). Poems and illustrations are humorous and full of surprises--one two-page spread has you turn the page vertically to see a pirate in full regalia with a movie camera filming him. The celebration end with a poem titled, A Pirate's LIfe, that concludes "Fights are settled by a duel./No vacations, as a rule./Days of boring life at sea--/A pirate's life is not for me. A per ...more
Lauren White
Good for grades 1-5.
Some language not following school code and some violent illustrations.
The Library Lady
Oct 06, 2012 The Library Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair warning to those of you who plan to read this to the pre-school set--while the Robert Neumbecker pictures are a delight, the texts are long, wordy and filled with the sort of things moms and sensitive library types (code word:"scrotum) will dislike, such as lack of personal hygiene and discussions of puking.

For these exact reasons, these poems will be great for the school age students. I am very relieved that this is cataloged as a book of poetry rather than a picture book. Treat it accordi
Erin
A perfect introduction to poetry for the rowdier crew, this lively book is chock-full of sea faring silliness. We absolutely love it!
Children's Literature Project
No level information available. The publishing company recommends it for ages 6-10 (Grades 1-5).

This book is a collection of rhyming poems about pirates. Topics covered include what pirates eat, life on a pirate ship and pirate codes of conduct. Pirate lingo is also presented.

This book is great for second grade and teaching a lesson about pirates.
Becky
Sep 16, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one. I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this pirate-themed poetry book by Douglas Florian featuring pirates drawn by Robert Neubecker. My favorite poems were "Pirates Wear Patches", "Me, Pirate," and "Pirates Pirate." Though I did enjoy each poem in this one. The poems in this one almost beg to be read aloud and shared with others.
Heidi
A more fun/funny poetry collection than some I've read of late. Will appeal to pirate lovers. Some of the poems I liked and the rest just didn't get to me because pirates are not my favorite subject. The illustrations could be both funny and gross (sorry--holes in teeth make me cringe).

A fun choice in the Beehive poetry nominees.
Alexander Jones
Jan 17, 2014 Alexander Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read for Beehive Award nominations.
Felicia
Cute Poems, and lots of fun.
Pam
Jul 14, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doug Florian's poems beg to be read out loud! Read "Me, Pirate" and you will have students joining in with you in no time! Fun, rollicking, rhyming poetry to capture may children with illustrations perfect for pirate lovers! Notice the great vocabulary Florian uses in his poetry - an added bonus!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Arr! Who doesn't enjoy a good pirate book?

It's quick read it you're looking for snippets to enjoy. It is a perfect book for Talk Like a Pirate Day. The poems are one page and humorous, so readers of all ages will enjoy it.

Reviewed from a library copy.

Snowbie's Poem: Turtle Day
Feb 03, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best poetry ever? Maybe not but but this gloriously illustrated collection of pirate poetry is fun and exactly what young readers enjoy. A great addition to school library collections, this is sure to attract the attention of pirate loving readers.
Christine
Mar 25, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book of poems about all things pirates is a 2014 Beehive Nominee. There were fun illustrations for each poem, and in true Douglas Florian fashion they were fun to read. Kids who love pirates will love Shiver Me Timbers!
Bill Falcone
Aug 23, 2012 Bill Falcone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This clever funny collection of poems would make any landlubber laugh even while walking the plank.
Very inventive and original indeed mates. All hands on deck for this very fun book experience.
Lorelie
Cool poems and fun illustrations! Love the pirate theme!
  • I've Lost My Hippopotamus