Start by marking “The Power of Poppy Pendle” as Want to Read:
The Power of Poppy Pendle

The Power of Poppy Pendle

(The Power of Poppy Pendle)

Poppy Pendle was born on the floor of the Patisserie Marie Claire bakery in the little town of Potts Bottom. When, as an infant, Poppy unexpectedly performs her first bit of magic, her parents, Edith and Roger, know their dream has come true. Their daughter has inherited the family gift.

But as Poppy grows up she isn’t as thrilled about her magical talents. Even though she
Published September 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Poppy Pendle, please sign up.

Cameron Chaney
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
NOTE: To be read in a fancy British accent, please. Preferably one that belongs to a nosy gossiping neighbor who always has curlers in her hair and totes around a small dog. Thank you.

The Power of Poppy Pendle was an absolute joy from beginning to end! Every page was filled with a magical warmth and coziness that I just adored! You must read this volume, dear, truly you must! I guarantee you everyone in town will have read it by the end of the year, and if you have not, you will be outlawed! Shu
Colette
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Such a cute middle-grade read! The story sets morals to which young readers can easily relate. Overall 3/5 stars; I'm excited to read the next book!
Kathryn
2 stars story
4 stars writing style

I really liked the premise of the story. Poppy is an extremely gifted witch--but she's also a talented baker. She hates magic but loves baking. But her parents push her in magic and discourage the baking. Poppy wilts, then becomes resentful, then angry, because she can't do what she loves. (The parallels to parents who push their children into fields of study or professions that are not aligned with the children's interests are clear.)

The message of following
Qt
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, bookclub
I quite liked the style and readability of this one. There were a few plot threads that seemed unresolved to me, and I don't know if I was completely satisfied by the ending. But I found it fun and easy to read, and I liked the recipes included in the back!
Lauren
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
A warning that the following contains details that some may consider of the quasi-spoiler variety.

It’s never a good thing when, about halfway through a children’s book, I wonder if the author researched the psychology of serial killers in constructing her protagonist. Ignoring the magic angle, Poppy Pendle is a serial killer. No, she’s not literally killing anyone, but given what she knows, she is (I’m omitting a longer explanation on state of mind in criminal law). And, OK, children’s literatur
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was really strange, in a good way. The main character is a girl with magical powers who doesn't particularly like her newfound talents until they become useful.
Brennetta
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet book about a witch who just wants to bake. Poppy has problems with her parents not hearing her and pushing their dreams onto her. After some big mistakes they all come to respect one another’s wishes and “live happily ever after”
Kat Heckenbach
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Poppy has strong magical powers, but she doesn't want to be a witch. Even though her parents are intensely excited and have enrolled her in the best magic school, sparing no expense. And Poppy is at the top of her class.

What Poppy wants to do is bake. Poppy was born in a bakery, and it just seems to be in her blood. She couldn't care less about magic--she wants to sift and knead and make scrumptious desserts.

Her parents will have none of that, though, and do everything in their power to stop it
Sharie
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Entertaining, fun. I was excited at the beginning when it looked like a book about a child from a happy home. (I'm tired of reading about child-parent discontent.) But that's not the direction it went.

My only concern about this book for our readers is that it emphasizes running away and not addressing your problems. In essence that is how the problem was solved. Unhappiness can't be dealt with that way.
R.A.
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
Poppy is special, she has magical powers! But she doesn't want to go to magic school, she wants to cook. Can she figure out a way to do both?
I really liked this one. It is a middle grade fantasy and has a lot of cuteness and fun with a good message sprinkled on top.
Kelly Ng
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is so awesome because it has witches and baking! I can't really explain it because it has spoilers so that is what I have to say now.
Wealhtheow
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Poppy Pendle was born on the floor of a bakery, and ever after has had a talent for baking. Unfortunately for her, she's also a very talented witch, and her parents insist she pursue magic over baked goods. At age ten this grows too much for her, and she runs away to join a bakery. (view spoiler) ...more
The Librarian Witch
This one was a bit meh to be honest, and I don't have too much to say about it other that that.

I liked the overall message of this story - that you should do what you really love to do, and don't let other people pressure you not to.

But I found the main character, Poppy, to be quite annoying. She was such a "special snowflake" - she was amazingly good at magic without even trying, she was the best baker ever, she was great at basketball, she could jump ridiculously high, and she was super, super
Teresa Barrera
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poppy Pendle was born on the floor of the Patisserie Marie Claire's bakery and as an infant and performs her first bit of magic which excites her parents, Edith and Roger that their daughter has inherited the family gift.
At 7, Poppy starts school at Ruthersfield Academy school for witchcraft and for the next few years she is miserable. She hates being a witch and wants to do what she loves, baking, but her parents won't hear of it.
Baking is her love and passion and Poppy dreams of opening up her
Leigh
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read plenty of middle grade but it's rare that I find one that I thoroughly enjoy. This book has such a charming voice and such a well built world and characters that you simply fly through it. Just like, well, just like magic. I'll keep an eye out for Natasha Lowe in the future. Her work is wonderful.
Yahaira
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Allyson
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little book so much!!! Such a fun read, and far darker a journey than I expected for the heroine. Not to spoil anything but the ending was one of the most satisfying, in large and small ways, that I’ve read in a book recently.
Shanshad Whelan
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
This is a decent witch/wizarding school style story. Poppy is born with an amazing gift for magic and her parents are delighted and proud. But Poppy isn't interested in magic, she wants to bake, much to her parents' dismay. Poppy likes to make her parents happy, but their overbearing attention and the importance they place on magic makes her despair. And when her parents' forbid her to have anything to do with baking . . . it may just tip the scales and send Poppy over to the dark side.

While I l
Jan
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It seems that Poppy Pendle's surprise birth in the Marie Claire bakery was portentous, for as a baby she could blow bubbles of sweets, and by the time she was 7, her favorite activity was baking. Her parents were shocked. Poppy was descended from a long line of well-respected witches, and they knew Poppy had magical talent. Why would she waste her time baking when she could be practicing her magic? To force her to learn more magic, they enrolled her in a prestigious magic academy, but Poppy was ...more
Elza Kinde
Poppy Pendle was born to bake. In fact, she was born in a bakery. But Poppy's strong gift for magic is keeping her patisserie dreams from coming true. Her parents insist she go to Ruthersfield, an elite magic school, but soon wild discontent leaves Poppy with no choice but to take drastic action.

I was really disappointed with this book. All the whimsy and charm I was promised was a lie. The tone of this book starts off kind of whimsical, but quickly turns murky. Troubling themes emerge, and then
LaQuita
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had so much fun reading this book with my seven year old daughter. The Power of Poppy Pendle is not only a delightful read, but it's filled with magic, adventures and a growing character and so much more. My daughter and I took turns on reading each chapter before bed. This book had her wanting to bake more and more. Definitely a great read for those little girls that absolutely loves baking in the kitchen with mom or their Easy Bake Oven.

I not only loved how much my daughter enjoyed the book
Peggy Sinden
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very pleasant and delightful read. This little girl was destined to be something she did not want to do and through determination and desire successfully overcame many obsticles until she was able to succeed the choices she made toward becoming the baker she wanted to be. Many thanks to Amy who recommended this book to me.
Amy Campbell
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
This was one of the sweetest and most enjoyable books I have read in a long time. It is about a little girl who is born a witch but all she wants to do is bake. If you are in need a good happy shorter read I highly recommend this story.
Caitlyn Scott
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG,this book is so amazing! I love books about witches. Im almost done with it and hope it ends out ok with Poppy!
Anupam
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read the book to my kids at night. Great book to show kids they need to follow their dreams and passions.
Nancy Kotkin
I have some issues with the either/or message imparted by this middle grade novel. Why couldn't Poppy be a witch who bakes? Many children are good at more than one thing, and this book sets a bad example of choosing between them, rather than developing multiple talents alongside one another.

Admittedly, Poppy's parents were self-centered jerks, but surely there was a teacher at her school that she could have confided in and requested help from. Or her aunt? The next-door neighbor? With the except
Michelle
Read as a read aloud and mother's choice. Project was baking a recipe in the book (Chocolate bread--it was wonderful!) without assistance. She has since made several recipes in the book. Since reading the book she taught herself to decorate cakes using buttercream and piping tips without assistance. We had the pleasure of having an accidental field trip related to this book. We visited an adorable little bakery in my hometown that reminded both my daughter and I of the bakery in the book. We wer ...more
Pam
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Poppy Pendle is such a lovable character that I could imagine a whole series written about her and her adventures! Natasha Lowe did a great job creating characters, a town, and a story that kept me enthralled until 5/8ths of the way through when the joy began to fall apart. It was as if Natasha Lowe had planned to write a 300 page book and was suddenly told by her editor that it could only be 225 pages. The abrupt ending left story lines unresolved and me completely unsatisfied. But I still reme ...more
Cindy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything I wanted it to be. I prefer a story where the child is right and the parents are mean. I'm sure that is an immature way to think but do parents ever know what is "right"? Guide your child to be the best they can; not the person that you want them to be.
With that said as the story progressed I loved it more and more. I loved when it went dark but the happy ending had me walking on clouds.
The end of the book has the recipes that are mentioned in the story. I plan on making
Natalie Moline
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book almost every year and love it every time! It is about a young girl who is an extremely talented which and a very gifted baker. However, her parents push her to do magic so much that she grows to HATE it. The worst part is that her parents do everything in their power to stop her from baking-the thing she really loves, and they stop her from seeing her only friend, Charlie, who is not magic. Poppy gets so fed up she does something horrible. Will Charlie be able to save her from i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Red-Robed Priestess (Maeve Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wednesdays
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • Castle Hangnail
  • The Epic Documentary of a Not-Yet-Epic Kid (Classroom, #1)
  • Unfamiliar Magic
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • Katie, Batter Up! (Cupcake Diaries, #5)
  • Summerhouse Time
  • Scary School
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • Behind the Bookcase
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Fairy School Dropout
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • Just Grace, Star on Stage (Just Grace, #9)
  • Tilly's Moonlight Garden
From here face book page (https://www.facebook.com/natashalowe....)

About:
Natasha Lowe is the author of "The Power of Poppy Pendle" and companion book "The Courage of Cat Campbell" (late 2014) -both published by Simon & Schuster.

Biography:
Natasha Lowe knew as a child that she wanted to be either a writer, an adventurer, or a fancy tea-shop owner. So she did a little bit of everything, traveling

The Power of Poppy Pendle (3 books)
  • The Courage of Cat Campbell