Start by marking “The Power of Poppy Pendle” as Want to Read:
The Power of Poppy Pendle

The Power of Poppy Pendle (The Power of Poppy Pendle)

Poppy Pendle was born on the floor of the Patisserie Marie Claire bakery in the little town of Potts Bottom. When, as an infant, Poppy unexpectedly performs her first bit of magic, her parents, Edith and Roger, know their dream has come true. Their daughter has inherited the family gift.

But as Poppy grows up she isn’t as thrilled about her magical talents. Even though she
Published September 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Poppy Pendle, please sign up.

Cameron Chaney
Jul 10, 2017 Cameron Chaney rated it it was amazing
NOTE: To be read in a fancy British accent, please. Preferably one that belongs to a nosy gossiping neighbor who always has curlers in her hair and totes around a small dog. Thank you.

The Power of Poppy Pendle was an absolute joy from beginning to end! Every page was filled with a magical warmth and coziness that I just adored! You must read this volume, dear, truly you must! I guarantee you everyone in town will have read it by the end of the year, and if you have not, you will be outlawed! Shu
Colette
May 30, 2015 Colette rated it liked it
Such a cute middle-grade read! The story sets morals to which young readers can easily relate. Overall 3/5 stars; I'm excited to read the next book!
Kathryn
2 stars story
4 stars writing style

I really liked the premise of the story. Poppy is an extremely gifted witch--but she's also a talented baker. She hates magic but loves baking. But her parents push her in magic and discourage the baking. Poppy wilts, then becomes resentful, then angry, because she can't do what she loves. (The parallels to parents who push their children into fields of study or professions that are not aligned with the children's interests are clear.)

The message of following
Qt
Apr 22, 2014 Qt rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, bookclub
I quite liked the style and readability of this one. There were a few plot threads that seemed unresolved to me, and I don't know if I was completely satisfied by the ending. But I found it fun and easy to read, and I liked the recipes included in the back!
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 26, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
This book was really strange, in a good way. The main character is a girl with magical powers who doesn't particularly like her newfound talents until they become useful.
Kat Heckenbach
Nov 20, 2015 Kat Heckenbach rated it really liked it
Poppy has strong magical powers, but she doesn't want to be a witch. Even though her parents are intensely excited and have enrolled her in the best magic school, sparing no expense. And Poppy is at the top of her class.

What Poppy wants to do is bake. Poppy was born in a bakery, and it just seems to be in her blood. She couldn't care less about magic--she wants to sift and knead and make scrumptious desserts.

Her parents will have none of that, though, and do everything in their power to stop it
R.A.
Jul 16, 2016 R.A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
Poppy is special, she has magical powers! But she doesn't want to go to magic school, she wants to cook. Can she figure out a way to do both?
I really liked this one. It is a middle grade fantasy and has a lot of cuteness and fun with a good message sprinkled on top.
Kelly Ng
Apr 24, 2015 Kelly Ng rated it it was amazing
I think this book is so awesome because it has witches and baking! I can't really explain it because it has spoilers so that is what I have to say now.
Jodie Humphrey
Apr 05, 2017 Jodie Humphrey rated it it was ok
This one was a bit meh to be honest, and I don't have too much to say about it other that that.

I liked the overall message of this story - that you should do what you really love to do, and don't let other people pressure you not to.

But I found the main character, Poppy, to be quite annoying. She was such a "special snowflake" - she was amazingly good at magic without even trying, she was the best baker ever, she was great at basketball, she could jump ridiculously high, and she was super, super
Jodie Humphrey

Shanshad Whelan
Jul 03, 2012 Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
This is a decent witch/wizarding school style story. Poppy is born with an amazing gift for magic and her parents are delighted and proud. But Poppy isn't interested in magic, she wants to bake, much to her parents' dismay. Poppy likes to make her parents happy, but their overbearing attention and the importance they place on magic makes her despair. And when her parents' forbid her to have anything to do with baking . . . it may just tip the scales and send Poppy over to the dark side.

While I l
Jan
Jan 23, 2014 Jan rated it it was amazing
It seems that Poppy Pendle's surprise birth in the Marie Claire bakery was portentous, for as a baby she could blow bubbles of sweets, and by the time she was 7, her favorite activity was baking. Her parents were shocked. Poppy was descended from a long line of well-respected witches, and they knew Poppy had magical talent. Why would she waste her time baking when she could be practicing her magic? To force her to learn more magic, they enrolled her in a prestigious magic academy, but Poppy was ...more
LaQuita (Just Us Girls)
Jun 18, 2013 LaQuita (Just Us Girls) rated it it was amazing
I had so much fun reading this book with my seven year old daughter. The Power of Poppy Pendle is not only a delightful read, but it's filled with magic, adventures and a growing character and so much more. My daughter and I took turns on reading each chapter before bed. This book had her wanting to bake more and more. Definitely a great read for those little girls that absolutely loves baking in the kitchen with mom or their Easy Bake Oven.

I not only loved how much my daughter enjoyed the book
Sharie
Feb 10, 2014 Sharie rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-level-es
Entertaining, fun. I was excited at the beginning when it looked like a book about a child from a happy home. (I'm tired of reading about child-parent discontent.) But that's not the direction it went.

My only concern about this book for our readers is that it emphasizes running away and not addressing your problems. In essence that is how the problem was solved. Unhappiness can't be dealt with that way.
Peggy Sinden
Oct 23, 2014 Peggy Sinden rated it really liked it
A very pleasant and delightful read. This little girl was destined to be something she did not want to do and through determination and desire successfully overcame many obsticles until she was able to succeed the choices she made toward becoming the baker she wanted to be. Many thanks to Amy who recommended this book to me.
Amy Campbell
Sep 08, 2014 Amy Campbell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
This was one of the sweetest and most enjoyable books I have read in a long time. It is about a little girl who is born a witch but all she wants to do is bake. If you are in need a good happy shorter read I highly recommend this story.
Anupam
Jan 30, 2015 Anupam rated it really liked it
Read the book to my kids at night. Great book to show kids they need to follow their dreams and passions.
Caitlyn Scott
Sep 30, 2014 Caitlyn Scott rated it it was amazing
OMG,this book is so amazing! I love books about witches. Im almost done with it and hope it ends out ok with Poppy!
April
Dec 14, 2016 April rated it did not like it
We threw in the towel on this one. It just really got darker and darker...she was running away, her parents were supposed to be the bad guys for, essentially, making her go to school. It just wasn't the message I wanted to send to my 7 year old daughter...maybe another time, but not for now.
Holli
Mar 07, 2017 Holli rated it really liked it
Delightful original tale. It put me in the mood to cook! So I did. :)
Peter
May 03, 2017 Peter rated it really liked it
My daughter asked me to read because it was a fun book for her to read. Keep me engaged and finished in an evening.
Wendie Berry
Jun 12, 2017 Wendie Berry rated it really liked it
Sweet read with a very good friendship theme.
Abby
May 12, 2017 Abby rated it it was amazing
This book was very, very touching and the premise reminded me of the book, "Wish Girl"
Stephanie
Mar 04, 2017 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I was literally able to sit down and read this in an evening and it was just fun! Cute little story about being true to who you are and following your passion. Quick easy read.
Victoria
Feb 28, 2017 Victoria rated it really liked it
This little girl Poppy does not want to be a witch but her parents want her to be a witch.
What would Poppy do will she continue in being a witch or will she quit and how?
Kimberly Souza
Sep 18, 2012 Kimberly Souza rated it really liked it
“The power of Poppy Pendle” by, Natasha Lowe

Poppy Pendle is a very special nine year old girl. Born on the floor of a bakery, Poppy grows up loving to bake and she is very good at it. Poppy is also born with the gift of magic and this fact makes her parents very proud. In no time at all Poppy’s parents have enrolled her in the Ruthersfield Academy for witchcraft. Everything seems to be falling into place for Poppy. There’s just one problem, she hates magic and she doesn’t want to be a witch. Al
Bethany Ainsworth
In a way, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would.

Also, I'm really glad that this book has recipes in the back. I would love to buy a copy just to try to the recipes.

Okay, moving on.

I think Poppy got off fucking easy. Way to fucking easy, which kind of pissed me off. Really? Why did she have to get off easy, other than being told she can't practice magic, get expelled from magic school, and had her broom confiscated? Yet, she goes on Scott-free, gets a new home, opens up a bakery,
Jayce Senter
Mar 28, 2014 Jayce Senter rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon this book at our Scholastic book fair. It was not advertized, but just stuck on a shelf seemingly randomly. After reading the back, I fell in love! It's so precious. I wouldn't let myself read it until I had finished several that were sitting on my nightstand waiting to be finished.

It was worth the wait.

Genre:Fantasy
AR level: 5.3
Grade appropriate: 3rd grade and up

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 5/5-- So sweet and fun. It did get a little depressing in about the 3rd chapter because h
Lauren
Jul 07, 2015 Lauren rated it it was ok
A warning that the following contains details that some may consider of the quasi-spoiler variety.

It’s never a good thing when, about halfway through a children’s book, I wonder if the author researched the psychology of serial killers in constructing her protagonist. Ignoring the magic angle, Poppy Pendle is a serial killer. No, she’s not literally killing anyone, but given what she knows, she is (I’m omitting a longer explanation on state of mind in criminal law). And, OK, children’s literatur
Kate Pua
Oct 18, 2014 Kate Pua rated it it was ok
I like the way the author writes. I favour this sort of writing style. More readable and enjoyable. More adventurous and the best way to tell a fantasy story and other related genres. the plot wasn't bad too. in fact, the main reason why i got the book in the first place is that it kinda had a touch of Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle and some touch of Hayao Miyazaki's "Kiki's Delivery Service". And found them to be quite a good blend. I mean, I got that impression when I read the plot be ...more
  • Castle Hangnail
  • The Wednesdays
  • Rose (Rose, #1)
  • Behind the Bookcase
  • Katie, Batter Up! (Cupcake Diaries, #5)
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • Unfamiliar Magic
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • The Epic Documentary of a Not-Yet-Epic Kid (Classroom, #1)
  • Ghoulish Song (Zombay, #2)
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • The Little Leftover Witch
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • Empire State of Slime (The Zombie Chasers #4)
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • Fairy School Dropout
From here face book page (https://www.facebook.com/natashalowe....)

About:
Natasha Lowe is the author of "The Power of Poppy Pendle" and companion book "The Courage of Cat Campbell" (late 2014) -both published by Simon & Schuster.

Biography:
Natasha Lowe knew as a child that she wanted to be either a writer, an adventurer, or a fancy tea-shop owner. So she did a little bit of everything, traveling
More about Natasha Lowe...

The Power of Poppy Pendle (3 books)
  • The Courage of Cat Campbell