Start by marking “The Dragons of Winter (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Dragons of Winter (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #6)

The Dragons of Winter

(The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica #6)

The Archipelago of Dreams is no more…but the battle to save it has just begun in the penultimate book in the acclaimed Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series.

The Caretakers are at war. The Archipelago of Dreams has fallen to the Echthroi, and the link to the Summer Country has been lost. The Keep of Time must be rebuilt, and the secret lies somewhere in Deep Time
Published August 28th 2012 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Dragons of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragons of Winter

Mith
JESUS H. CHRIST

BEST. BOOK. EVER!

More coherent review coming soon!
Valentina Markasović
I have to say this was rather anti-climatic, overall. The final few chapters, to be exact. There's a lot of that talking-instead-of-fighting stuff, and then it turns out it was only talking.

Again there were numerous unanswered questions. With everyone casually turning into dragons, I have to ask myself: how does that work? What is happening? How can they do that? What??

Although we see less and less of the original main characters, I did like the new characters introduced, and I have high hopes
Nick 2/3
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Dragons of Winter and the 6th book in The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica follows the characters as they attempt to hold out against the echthroi, the primordial evil. New characters are introduced and existing character's stories are furthered as the story follows two main quests by the main characters. The first to find powerful items to aid the caretakers against their enemy, and the second to fix the root of the problem, to rebuild the keep of time and reconnect the normal worl ...more
Valerie
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting story line and concept. The book features an alternate world where famous authors and scientists live on as ghosts or "portraits" that come alive, but I recall only one female author being mentioned by name (Agatha Christie) and 0 female scientists, but dozens upon dozens of of males.

The male characters also were often indistinguishable from one another - Twain had none of his southern style, language or irascibility. He was written the same as Chaucer, Burton and Newton. Two of the
SouthWestZippy
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Taken from the jacket cover. "The Caretakers are at War. The Archipelago of Dreams has fallen to the Echthroi, and the link to the Summer Country has been lost. The Cabal--renegade Caretakers who have become agents of the Shadow--are amassing power to open our world to their masters. Only by rebuilding the Keep of Time can the two worlds be reconnected, but not even the vanished Dragons knew how the Keep was built, or who built it-- and the Echthroi are coming. "Caretaker Emeritus finds a trail ...more
Graham Bradley
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very excited for the ending of this series. Book 6 was the most unique so far, and while it had some very satisfying moments, it also left a lot unanswered. Curious to see how Owen wraps it up.
Heather
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
All I can really say is OMG Goats!!!!!!!

I'm sure that eventually I'll be able to say more, but I'm still in shock over how awesome this series/book is...
Eric Parker
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another interesting book in the series. There were some really big shifts in loyalties and surprises that came out in this one as well as surprising new revelations of the size and scope of the battle between right and wrong. Definitely worth reading for fans of the series.
Kamie
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I highly recommend this series if you like YA fantasy.
Mia
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a good book! I loved all the twists and turns, and the ending was satisfying but still
Left me eager for the next book.
Mkittysamom
Just wow...I am just awed how each book is just as great as the last one!! All I can tell you really is to just read the series, it will change your life!
Valerie
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! On to the final fun, entertaining book!
Luciana Darce
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Este é o sexto e penúltimo volume da saga Imaginarium Geographica E estou sem conseguir prever nem de longe o que há de acontecer em seu final. Espero ansiosamente pela resolução da história e que ela esteja a altura do que Owen nos presenteou até aqui.

No começo da leitura, estava me sentindo um pouco perdida, porque fazia algum tempo desde que eu tinha lido o último volume (e esse é o grande problema em acompanhar trabalhos ainda em progresso, quando há bastante tempo de espera entre um volume
Terri M.
Overall, as this series goes on, I'm struggling to keep the multiple story lines and characters straight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few years ago I discovered the novel Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen. This is the first book in the 7 books series known as the “The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica” which follows the lives of Jack, John and Charles as they battle the forces of evil in an effort to save the World. Quite a tall order for three unknown gentlemen fr
C.O. Bonham
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alana Folk
The Sixth book in the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica is very much like all of the rest, steeped in literature and ancient myth. There are references that will make you giggle in their cleverness and others that will make you scratch your head and go do some research. You will squeal in bookish delight as beloved authors come into play for the first time and you discover plot devices stolen from even more beloved stories.

This series is a Bookworms dream. Sadly there is only one more b
Becky
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed reading The Dragons of Winter by James A. Owen. In this sixth adventure, our Caretakers (well, some of them) travel to the FUTURE. They travel to the future first seen (or experienced) by H.G. Wells (Bert). Well, that's the future they THOUGHT they were heading to. In reality, they end up someplace very, very different, a what-might-be world of darkness. The time they spend in this world is very interesting to me, and they do meet an interesting Bradbury-inspired underground ...more
EAL
I'm starting to see a pattern to the way I read long series. The first book I devour. The middle books drag on (I swear, no pun intended). Then, sometime after the halfway point, the slope points down and I breeze through the last few books.

By the time I got to Dragons of Winter, the slope had begun, and this was a fast read. All the assorted threads of story are starting to come together. Owen's typical start a line...

...and finish it dramatically

gambit was used to better effect in this book th
Jorge de la Vega
By this point, the series has outright stopped making sense and has become a convoluted mess. And indeed that wouldn't be much of a problem (I mean, that pretty much describes any Stephen King book and yet we love him for it) if Owen were a better writer and managed to hold the reader's attention. This book finally marked the moment when the series quit being entertaining despite some "fun" details here and there, mostly in the form of the "spot the reference" game I mentioned in earlier reviews ...more
RumBelle
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series is just layering historical figures, literary elements from so many varied sources, fantasy and fiction in ever evolving layers. At times, it seems like too much stuff is crammed into one book, but overall this had been such a rich, engaging, interesting series. An incredibly unique set of books that keep you so involved and on the edge of your seat. In this book, the goal was to try to find the Architect of the Keep of Time, and for the first time, a main story-line carried over int ...more
Deborah D.
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very complex - as any multiple timeline fantasy can become especially when there is time travel by so many methods and characters from both Shadow and Light.

A slower read because of the intricate interweavings, but I was still quite satisfied by the end of this portion of the saga of the Imaginarium Geographica as there is the development of Chronology equivalent being created (recreated?).

Intended for young adults, this is equally engaging for adult readers, since a large percentage of the cha
Lorien
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dragons
It was a long reading. In a busy month, I read it little by little on bed, before falling asleep. And, to my surprise, I enjoyed it more than the previous two or three volumes. I read it thinking on "endind what I started" - since there were only two books left, but, since the story got a bit better Im actually looking forward to read the next volume :) But Im still upset that the Chronicles of Imaginarium Geographica arent about the imaginarium geographica at all anymore, so only three stars. ...more
Hayley
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-book, series
Originally posted on BlueAnteater

The sixth in the Imaginarium Geographica series.
Alright, I’ve given up trying to figure out all the intricate timey wimey plots in this series. I’m just gonna sit back and enjoy the literary ride. Really liked the new characters, as well as – though it was quite confusing – the time travel bits. Penultimate books are always a quick read, but Owen managed to keep things interesting.
Jim
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This volume felt a bit stretched at times. Especially with the addition of yet another secret society. That being said it wasn't a bad book. The dystopian future which had a nice homage to Fahrenheit 451 in it was well done. The battle of one ups manship between the heroes and villans was an interesting twist on what the reader would expect. Personally I loved the battle goats. ( You will have to read it to find out why. ) The set up for the next, and final, volume was well done with a nice atte ...more
Stacey Lozano
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have loved this series since I first began reading it with my boys. The way the author combines history, fiction, mythology, etc. to create a new story worth waiting for is breath taking. This was a wonderful continuation of the story, and when you read it please don't forget the epilogue. That is the most important part of the story, so says the author.

I'm thrilled to know the last is out already. The blessing for forgetting a series while waiting for the next to come out? The library will b
Rachel
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This was a major disappointment. He'd planned to finish the series with this book, and he as good as says in the afterword that he'd rethought that, but he tried to cram everything in anyway. It was incoherent and confusing. Is there another book coming? Ugh. I liked the series, but this was absolutely shoddy work.
Cynthia Scott
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such a surprising read. I have loved reading this entire series, but the Dragons of Winter have made me realize why I love this series. There is true storytelling that goes on in "the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica", with tricks and trails, witty humour, and delightful and sometimes despicable characters. I love them all. It's a great read, especially for those who love literature.
Kara Bianca
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book was so so so so good! Absolutely amazing! I love the way high fantasy is blended so well with historical and mythological elements. This series should be read by everyone! I can't wait to read the last one!
Marianna
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
April
I seem to spend the first 2/3 of the book saying, why am I reading this, why am I reading this, why am I reading this... and then it gets better so that you say to yourself, well, I can finish this series and be done.
Jana
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

• The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Soul Stealer (The Alchemist's Son #2)
  • The Wrong Side of Magic
  • Guardian of the Green Hill (Under the Green Hill #2)
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • Well, Really Mr Twiddle! (Happy Days)
  • Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)
  • Ravenwood (Ravenwood #1)
  • No Such Thing as Dragons
  • Adventure Time with Finn & Jake (Issue #5)
  • The Fall of Camelot (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Spells and Bindings (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Pinocchio and His Puppet Show Adventure (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Hatter M, Volume 5: Love of Wonder

The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica (8 books)
  • Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #1)
  • The Search for the Red Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #2)
  • The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3)
  • The Shadow Dragons (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #4)
  • The Dragon's Apprentice (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #5)
  • The First Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #7)
  • The Dragon Knight (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #8)