Start by marking “You're a Grand Old Flag” as Want to Read:
You're a Grand Old Flag

You're a Grand Old Flag

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

You're a grand old flag,
You're a high flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave.

Written in 1906 by George M. Cohan, "You're a Grand Old Flag" has been a favorite celebration song for generations of Americans. Now see it brought to life like never before as it is set with images of Americana, by the master of all things patriotic, Norman Rockwell. Children run to th
Published October 18th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about You're a Grand Old Flag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're a Grand Old Flag

Autumn
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am almost embarrassed to admit that I did not enjoy it nearly as much as I thought that I would have liked it. It's a Norman Rockwell book with patriotic lyrics. I thought that it would touch my heart. It did not. However, that does not make it an unpleasant book to read. It was likable, but not terrific.
Lauren Stoolfire
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Norman Rockwell and You're a Grand Old Flag go together perfectly.
Joan
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This children’s picture book is a glorious celebration of our nation’s flag featuring the well-known song written by George M. Cohan in 1906. A unique illustration accompanies each line of the lyrics; the music is presented at the end of the book along with some notes detailing the writing of the song and some facts about the flag’s design and its changes through the years.

Highly recommended.
Melissa
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved the artwork of Norman Rockwell. This book had several favorites.
Joe
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Norman Rockwell illustrations with the classic lyrics of the song. Cool intro. I just wanted more connectivity.
Lori
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book. My only criticism is that the pages were not thick, and presentation matters. I love to turn pages on children's picture books when they are nice quality, and especially when the book contains special history or famous artwork.

The illustrations are Norman Rockwell's famous paintings and the text is lyrics to the song "You're a Grand Old Flag."

A great book to teach children this popular patriotic song and Norman Rockwell's art.
Suz
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
I picked up the hardcover edition of this book at the East Tennessee Historical Center's book shop. I love the Norman Rockwell paintings used to illustrate the phrases from the song. It will be a wonderful read-aloud to start a lesson on point-of-view, perceptions, cultural assumptions, change over time, etc.
Michael Fitzgerald
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Of the numerous songs-turned-into-picture-books, this is one of the best. There is no real story to be told, just a series of images. Some fit better with the words than others, but it is overall a success. A little disappointing that there aren't more verses (the book consists of the same thing twice through). The credits at the end are helpful for understanding context.
Heidi-Marie
This has the country look to it, which I'm not the biggest fan of. But it's nice. I liked the facts at the end--I didn't know some of them. Not quite sure if I'll read this in my America storytime--doesn't quite show what I would like. Though I could have the kids look for the flag in each picture....
Adrith Bicchieri
This picture book is a love-letter to Americana, with the lyrics to Mr. Cohan’s “You’re a Grand Old Flag” accompanied by folk-art patriotic images painted on distressed wood. The book includes interesting facts about the song and flag, and the musical notation for the song.
Amy Edwards
This is a sweet collection of Norman Rockwell paintings accompanying the lyrics of "You're a Grand Old Flag." Nice way to look at Rockwell's work, especially some of his paintings of soldiers, and to sing the song with my daughter.
Kathryn
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
The lyrics to a wonderful song with many of Norman Rockwells paintings depicting America.
Hilary
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Okay. It's patriotic and its a good song. But I cannot like the illustrations. Primitive doesn't appeal to me. It might be more fun to simply sing and wave a flag, instead.
Melanie
Aug 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Love the primitive-style illustrations in this book depicting the well-known patriotic song. I think this would make a perfect coffee table book!
Amy
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great coffee table book for July. Illustrations go with lyrics to the song.
Jasmine Olivia
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The girls really enjoyed reading this book. Well, SINGING! lol We learned a new song last night. :)
Jamie
May 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The song lyrics are illustrated with actual Norman Rockwell paintings. Very patriotic and a wonderful slice of Americana!
Heather
Aug 25, 2010
Sofia
Jul 03, 2013
Shaiya Badgley
rated it did not like it
Sep 09, 2014
Nancy (NE)
Jun 02, 2009
Cecily
Mar 09, 2012
George Michael Cohan was an American playwright, composer, lyricist, entertainer, actor, singer, dancer and producer. He is considered the father of American musical comedy.
More about George M. Cohan...