Start by marking “One Mountain Away (Goddesses Anonymous #1)” as Want to Read:
One Mountain Away (Goddesses Anonymous #1)

One Mountain Away (Goddesses Anonymous #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  1,016 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
With nothing but brains, ambition and sheer nerve, Charlotte Hale built a career as a tough, do-anything-to-succeed real-estate developer. She's at the top of that mountain…but her life is empty. Her friends are as grasping and insincere as she has become. Far worse, she's alienated her family so completely that she's totally lost touch with her only daughter.

One terrifyin
Published July 31st 2012 by Harlequin MIRA (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about One Mountain Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Mountain Away

Ian
After a bitter family dispute Charlotte was estranged from her family. Now after many years apart she finds herself faced with her own mortality and starts to look back on her life. As she remembers the things that made her what she is, she starts to take steps to make amends for the mistakes she has made.

With her eyes open she looks for both small and large ways she can make a difference in the lives of the people around her. Her heart's desire is to be reconciled with her daughter and grand-d
Donna
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
This was the perfect read for today. I needed a book like this. I haven't read this author before, and saw this available on Overdrive, and downloaded it for today, as well as the second one in this series.

I loved how this started. I was hooked by the descriptive detail. While it wasn't sustained throughout, it was okay because I was really into the story and I loved Charlotte. Even at the end, for not being a crier, I cried like a little girl....at work....and in public. I couldn't help it. I
Dale Harcombe
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve upgraded this from four and a half to five stars as I’ve been thinking about it a lot of the time since I read it. While from my own experience I found the mother and daughter relationship between Charlotte and Taylor, almost incomprehensible, somehow the author’s skill makes it believable.
Charlotte Hale has pulled herself up from a very difficult beginning to be a well to do real estate developer. But it has come at a price. That of her husband and daughter Taylor, and basically any frien
Jeanette Bowyer
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book should have come with a warning - tissues required! For me this book was about healing and forgiveness. It is also about the journey to healing, making amends. This book will make you laugh, will make you cry. I found it hard to put it down, I am looking forward to reading the last book in the Goddesses Anonymous series.
Dorine
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One Mountain Away by Emilie RichardsRecommended Read ~ For women's fiction at its best, Charlotte's journey through her past and present is inspirational as well as a deeply emotional look at life. With a good dose of faith mixed in, you can't help but be affected by the diverse characters in this thought-provoking first book in the contemporary GODDESSES ANONYMOUS series.

Charlotte Hale is a savvy, very successful, business woman with a quirky instability ‒ the inability to park a car within an allotted space, no matter how hard
Debbie
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emilie Richards has always given me a sense of completion when I’ve finished one of her novels, she has a unique way of telling a story and this story is her 70th published novel, and a debut in a brand new series. What a grand accomplishment. Maybe it’s her perspective from being a minister’s wife, maybe it’s she was born with that storytelling spoon in her mouth, whatever it is this story is special, unique and very emotional. As I recall her past novels I remember laughter and I remember a ce ...more
Judy Collins
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Must Read For Every Woman!

I have read all Emilie Richards' books so had pre-ordered on Nook and could not wait to read it. I finished it one day as could not put it down! It is one of the most powerful stories about life, mothers, daughters, grandmothers, fathers, forgiveness; Life is too short to hold grudges, and how people come into our lives with great meaning and purpose.

I loved the characters and how 3 different women find themselves with an unplanned pregnancy and how each was handled.
Christa
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc
This was a very bittersweet story that dealt with regrets, making amends, and forgiveness. Many of the characters were flawed, but even so, they were sympathetic and likeable. Some of the relationships were enjoyable to read about, and others were sad. I liked the way that love and friendship come through in the book. Emilie Richards is a must read author for me, and this book is a good example of why I enjoy her work so much.

Charlotte Hale has many regrets in her life, none more than the severi
Kathleen Basi
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A moving story of redemption, although it's not couched in those terms. Charlotte is someone rethinking her life following a devastating medical diagnosis. Throughout the book people talk about how horrible a person she has been, but we see none of that in the book; she's a broken woman trying to make herself whole again. We don't really see her growth, because it takes place all at once before the book begins. But I think it couldn't be any other way, because she wouldn't be a likeable characte ...more
Allysia K
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
I have mixed feelings on this book.

On the one hand, it was really sweet and full of goodness. Despite the main character facing a leukemia diagnosis, the tone of the book is very heartfelt and optimistic.

On the other hand, I didn't consider this a page-turner. It took me a couple weeks to finish, which is usually a gauge of how much I'm invested in a book. It wasn't blowing my mind. It was nice, but just okay.

You can tell how much the author loves her characters, and I think the book suffers a
Sheree
I'm drawn to stories of complex family relationships and One Mountain Away is certainly that but there was something special about this book. Something that touched me to the core ... Emilie's insight, the lyrical writing, the life lessons, Charlotte's character. It all came together so beautifully and had me smiling, sighing and crying a bucket load at the sheer goodness.

This was my first Emilie Richards novel and I seriously cannot wait to read more. Her characterisation rings clear and true.
Sharon
Oct 15, 2016 added it
This was SUCH a FANTASTIC book.... a whole box of Kleenex and then some!!! Great characters, great storylines, wonderful and realistic interactions!!! I have never read any Emilie Richards before but you can bet I'm going to read all of hers I can get my hands on from now on!!! This was the first of a series called Anonymous Goddesses and it was GREAT!! The women in the book are far from goddesses but they make you believe in mankind again or to be more specific, womankind. The male characters a ...more
Vicki Mohr
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I wanted to read this once I started, but I am glad I did. The story about a lady dying from cancer and how she fixes some of the things she regrets in the past. It was sad but a good story.

Cynthia Allen
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm probably not going to start another book right away. This book was so thought provoking regarding family relationships and what a waste of time mis-communication is I need to digest it for several days before moving on.
Sandy Forman-Johnson
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
started off slow but as each character was developed it was hard to put he book down. very well written
Marcia
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I stayed up til after Midnight to finish it
Catherine Anderson
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I first began this book, I wondered where it was going, and then I found out, straight to my heart. An unforgettable story.
Dawn Byers
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely devoured this book. What a totally awesome book - A story that will make you laugh, cause anger, and bring tears to your eyes.
So many emotions you experience as a daughter, mother, and grandmother.
Charlotte, came from nothing and chooses a career as a real estate developer. She has a daughter, marries. As life goes on she realizes all the mistakes she has made in life and tries to rectify them.
Read along to live thru the many emotions of a life well lived and loved.
I had to order mo
Heather
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beach-books
Even tho I read these books out of order, I have really enjoyed all of them.
This one tells the story of Charlotte, who is trying to make up for all the awful things she did in her life before she dies of Leukemia. All in all, a very nice story of a hard life lived and the hurt and redemption that goes along with that. A bit of a tear-jerker in the end.
I really enjoy this author's writing and easy reading style. These are good summer/beach books.
Amanda  Sue
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really didn't think I'd like this book. It was a random pick when I went to the library. I loved it and all the characters. I'm really looking forward to readings the rest in the series and by the author
Debra
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, inspiring!
Jennine
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and story line! Definitely makes you reflect on how you are living your life and what is really important.
Lynn
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story line was good and the characters entertaining. It was sad, but good the way it was written as the one character was able to redeem herself.
Julie
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not at all what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised.
MARLENE RANTZ
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story, well-told and well-written. I will certainly try to read other books by this author.
Dawn
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy this author's emphasis on women's relationships and strength.
Chris
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms and daughters
Recommended to Chris by: JG
Shelves: large-books
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

WOW!! Kleenex is needed especially for the last few chapters/disk.
almost didn't give it a 5 stars cuz of the sad ending but now I have to wonder is it really sad or just a great ending.

I would read/listen again, but not the last part referenced above:-(

While from my own experience I found the mother and daughter
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
Why I Read This Book
Normally, if I win a book from Harlequin, I expect something completely hot and steamy, so when I won this ARC, it automatically went to the bottom of the pile because it just wasn’t a priority. Then one day I was going through my ARCs to see what was getting released soon and I read the back of this book and was blown away — it had nothing to do with sexy times at all! I was immediately intrigued, seeing that it seemed similar to a lot of the adult contemporary books I love.
Gaele
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall: 4 Narration: 5 Story: 4

Back again (and out of order) with another title from Emilie Richards. I’ve had this audiobook review marinating for a while now, as there is so much going on in the story, and I’m still not completely settled on all of the elements.

Most certainly, this story focuses on relationships and the extent to which one will go to adjust, support, learn and grow simply by being present, or being put into a situation that shakes your own self-perce
Gaele
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall: 4 Narration: 5 Story: 4

• Little Town, Great Big Life (Valentine, #8)
  • Return to Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles #9)
  • The Dance Begins (The Dance, #0.5)
  • Love & Other Lies
  • Sanctuary Hill (Bay Tanner, #7)
  • The Legacy of Eden
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
  • Next Song I Sing (Next Time Around #1)
  • Secrets Over Sweet Tea
  • The Battle of the Frogs and the Mice: A Homeric Fable
  • The Bonny Dawn
  • Mountain Laurel
  • A Love to Call Her Own (Tallgrass, #3)
  • The Rest Is Silence
  • Love You to Death: A Charlie D Mystery
  • Seldom Come By
  • How Did You End Up Here?: The Surprising Ways Our Questions Connect Us
  • Kissed
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, including romance, women's fiction and mystery. When We Were Sisters debuted in June 2016, a stand alone novel about two foster sisters traveling back into their past together. I loved writing it and love the cover my publisher chose.

I'm also excited about my recent series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed by So
More about Emilie Richards...

Goddesses Anonymous (4 books)
  • Somewhere Between Luck and Trust (Goddesses Anonymous #2)
  • No River Too Wide (Goddesses Anonymous #3)
  • The Color of Light (Goddesses Anonymous, #4)

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99