Start by marking “One Mountain Away (Goddesses Anonymous #1)” as Want to Read:
One Mountain Away (Goddesses Anonymous #1)

One Mountain Away

(Goddesses Anonymous #1)

With nothing but brains, ambition and sheer nerve, Charlotte Hale built a career as a tough, do-anything-to-succeed real-estate developer. She's at the top of that mountain…but her life is empty. Her friends are as grasping and insincere as she has become. Far worse, she's alienated her family so completely that she's totally lost touch with her only daughter.

One
Published July 31st 2012 by Harlequin MIRA (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about One Mountain Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Mountain Away

Start your review of One Mountain Away (Goddesses Anonymous #1)
Ian
After a bitter family dispute Charlotte was estranged from her family. Now after many years apart she finds herself faced with her own mortality and starts to look back on her life. As she remembers the things that made her what she is, she starts to take steps to make amends for the mistakes she has made.

With her eyes open she looks for both small and large ways she can make a difference in the lives of the people around her. Her heart's desire is to be reconciled with her daughter and
Donna
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
This was the perfect read for today. I needed a book like this. I haven't read this author before, and saw this available on Overdrive, and downloaded it for today, as well as the second one in this series.

I loved how this started. I was hooked by the descriptive detail. While it wasn't sustained throughout, it was okay because I was really into the story and I loved Charlotte. Even at the end, for not being a crier, I cried like a little girl....at work....and in public. I couldn't help it. I
Judy Collins
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Must Read For Every Woman!

I have read all Emilie Richards' books so had pre-ordered on Nook and could not wait to read it. I finished it one day as could not put it down! It is one of the most powerful stories about life, mothers, daughters, grandmothers, fathers, forgiveness; Life is too short to hold grudges, and how people come into our lives with great meaning and purpose.

I loved the characters and how 3 different women find themselves with an unplanned pregnancy and how each was handled.
Dale Harcombe
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve upgraded this from four and a half to five stars as I’ve been thinking about it a lot of the time since I read it. While from my own experience I found the mother and daughter relationship between Charlotte and Taylor, almost incomprehensible, somehow the author’s skill makes it believable.
Charlotte Hale has pulled herself up from a very difficult beginning to be a well to do real estate developer. But it has come at a price. That of her husband and daughter Taylor, and basically any
Jeanette Bowyer
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book should have come with a warning - tissues required! For me this book was about healing and forgiveness. It is also about the journey to healing, making amends. This book will make you laugh, will make you cry. I found it hard to put it down, I am looking forward to reading the last book in the Goddesses Anonymous series.
Dorine
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One Mountain Away by Emilie Richards Recommended Read ~ For women's fiction at its best, Charlotte's journey through her past and present is inspirational as well as a deeply emotional look at life. With a good dose of faith mixed in, you can't help but be affected by the diverse characters in this thought-provoking first book in the contemporary GODDESSES ANONYMOUS series.

Charlotte Hale is a savvy, very successful, business woman with a quirky instability ‒ the inability to park a car within an allotted space, no matter how hard
Debbie
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emilie Richards has always given me a sense of completion when I’ve finished one of her novels, she has a unique way of telling a story and this story is her 70th published novel, and a debut in a brand new series. What a grand accomplishment. Maybe it’s her perspective from being a minister’s wife, maybe it’s she was born with that storytelling spoon in her mouth, whatever it is this story is special, unique and very emotional. As I recall her past novels I remember laughter and I remember a ...more
Christa
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc
This was a very bittersweet story that dealt with regrets, making amends, and forgiveness. Many of the characters were flawed, but even so, they were sympathetic and likeable. Some of the relationships were enjoyable to read about, and others were sad. I liked the way that love and friendship come through in the book. Emilie Richards is a must read author for me, and this book is a good example of why I enjoy her work so much.

Charlotte Hale has many regrets in her life, none more than the
Sheree
I'm drawn to stories of complex family relationships and One Mountain Away is certainly that but there was something special about this book. Something that touched me to the core ... Emilie's insight, the lyrical writing, the life lessons, Charlotte's character. It all came together so beautifully and had me smiling, sighing and crying a bucket load at the sheer goodness.

This was my first Emilie Richards novel and I seriously cannot wait to read more. Her characterisation rings clear and true.
Kathleen Basi
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A moving story of redemption, although it's not couched in those terms. Charlotte is someone rethinking her life following a devastating medical diagnosis. Throughout the book people talk about how horrible a person she has been, but we see none of that in the book; she's a broken woman trying to make herself whole again. We don't really see her growth, because it takes place all at once before the book begins. But I think it couldn't be any other way, because she wouldn't be a likeable ...more
Allysia K
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings on this book.

On the one hand, it was really sweet and full of goodness. Despite the main character facing a leukemia diagnosis, the tone of the book is very heartfelt and optimistic.

On the other hand, I didn't consider this a page-turner. It took me a couple weeks to finish, which is usually a gauge of how much I'm invested in a book. It wasn't blowing my mind. It was nice, but just okay.

You can tell how much the author loves her characters, and I think the book suffers a
Daphne Kim
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I truly cared about the characters and was rooting for the ending that I predicted would come. It's definitely enjoyable and certainly brought some tears along with satisfaction.
Sharon
Oct 15, 2016 added it
This was SUCH a FANTASTIC book.... a whole box of Kleenex and then some!!! Great characters, great storylines, wonderful and realistic interactions!!! I have never read any Emilie Richards before but you can bet I'm going to read all of hers I can get my hands on from now on!!! This was the first of a series called Anonymous Goddesses and it was GREAT!! The women in the book are far from goddesses but they make you believe in mankind again or to be more specific, womankind. The male characters ...more
Vicki Mohr
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I wanted to read this once I started, but I am glad I did. The story about a lady dying from cancer and how she fixes some of the things she regrets in the past. It was sad but a good story.

Cynthia Allen
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm probably not going to start another book right away. This book was so thought provoking regarding family relationships and what a waste of time mis-communication is I need to digest it for several days before moving on.
Marcia
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I stayed up til after Midnight to finish it
Catherine Anderson
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I first began this book, I wondered where it was going, and then I found out, straight to my heart. An unforgettable story.
Sandy Forman-Johnson
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
started off slow but as each character was developed it was hard to put he book down. very well written
Thuan
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A very touching and emotional story of redemption and forgiveness. And overall, it is a very good read.

However, I have one criticism: the story feels scripted. A woman who feels the need to correct her mistakes with her daughter? Then let's go add in "taking care of a pregnant stranger" to show that. At the end of her life? Then let's add in a compassionate preacher to show her the path to God. Missing love life at the end? Well, let's have her husband love her again because she's become a

Michelle
(3.5 stars) This is the first book in the Goddesses Anonymous series. Charlotte has been a successful real estate developer. When she finds out some bad news about her health, she takes stock of her life and realizes that it is lacking. She begins to take steps to make meaningful changes, starting out by helping out a waitress that takes verbal abuse from a customer, first by talking to her manager, and then helping the young woman by giving her a place to stay. As Charlotte opens up, she has ...more
Ann Boytim
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Charlotte Hall has many regrets in her life and now needs to make things right with the daughter she is estranged from. Charlotte had a hard life when she was growing up but made a success of her life. Charlotte is divorced and has never met her granddaughter but watches her in a playground. Charlotte is dying and is trying everything she can to right the wrongs in her life. Charlottes ex husband Ethan sees her in the park and wonders what and why she is doing. Charlotte meets a young woman who ...more
Catherine
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One Mountain Away is such a moving, thought-provoking book. Charlotte is a stong, successful, and yes, controlling, woman in her 50s who has sacrificed many relationships throughout her life while trying to run from her roots. She is staring mortality in the eye and is working to repair complex relationships and right many wrongs.
I really enjoyed this book. This is the first book I have read by Emilie Richards and it won't be the last. Ms. Richards' writing style draws the reader in and seems so
Sharon Sullivan
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A second chance for a new life

The book explains why Charlotte wants a new life. She's been diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia and she realizes she has lived a selfish lifestyle that has hurt others. She's estranged from her daughter and granddaughter that is a major loss for her. She sets out to make amends while she still has time.
The book describes well the people and situations she was able to make a difference in. I enjoyed reading this story. I rated it with 4 stars because it
Dawn Byers
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely devoured this book. What a totally awesome book - A story that will make you laugh, cause anger, and bring tears to your eyes.
So many emotions you experience as a daughter, mother, and grandmother.
Charlotte, came from nothing and chooses a career as a real estate developer. She has a daughter, marries. As life goes on she realizes all the mistakes she has made in life and tries to rectify them.
Read along to live thru the many emotions of a life well lived and loved.
I had to order
Deb
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to live my life with no regrets, unlike Charlotte who is trying to make things right. A story you can relate to of a woman in high standing wanting to make sure everything she worked so hard to achieve would remain a blessing to others in her life. I don't think the story of Charlotte's earlier days would be one I would want to read, but the woman she becomes is loving, heartfelt, considerate and kind.
Theresa LeBlanc
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Christian Pastor should preach & teach Biblical truth, not teach their congregation to practice & believe in other religions. Telling a congregant that the woman, or perhaps angel, who she saw in the hospital was a Buddhist goddess is just WRONG. She’s teaching her & others to worship idols.

Had the author not had a Christian Pastor teach other religions, and called the woman an angel, I’d have given it 5 stars.
Heather
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beach-books
Even tho I read these books out of order, I have really enjoyed all of them.
This one tells the story of Charlotte, who is trying to make up for all the awful things she did in her life before she dies of Leukemia. All in all, a very nice story of a hard life lived and the hurt and redemption that goes along with that. A bit of a tear-jerker in the end.
I really enjoy this author's writing and easy reading style. These are good summer/beach books.
Jenny
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, women
Janet Friesner
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Got this book back in 2012 when it came out and I probably read it then but rereading it and did not remember a moment of it so it was like a whole new read for me. I loved the book. It was an excellent read and I am going to continue with the other three books in this series even though they may be rereads. Highly recommend this series.
Gwendalyn J. Rose
Touching and Rewarding

This book has everything I like ... A compelling story with characters we get to really know (as well as like). It touched me personally as I head into my final years and face, as did Charlotte, what we leave as legacies. And the myriad of transforming relationships were truly inspirational. I really REALLY liked this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Starting Over on Blackberry Lane (Life in Icicle Falls #10)
  • Christmas from the Heart
  • The Summer Retreat (Moonlight Harbor, #3)
  • A Rainbow Above Us (Blessings, Georgia #8)
  • Snowfall on Lighthouse Lane (Honeymoon Harbor, #2)
  • Mending Fences (The Deacon's Family #1)
  • Hope on the Inside
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • The Wyoming Kid
  • Blackberry Summer (Hope's Crossing, #1)
  • The Promise of Jesse Woods
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • The Apple Orchard (Bella Vista Chronicles, #1)
  • Summer By The Sea
  • Table For Five
  • Window on the Bay
  • Listening to Love (An Amish Journey #2)
  • Herons Landing (Honeymoon Harbor, #1)
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, including romance, women's fiction and mystery. When We Were Sisters debuted in June 2016, a stand alone novel about two foster sisters traveling back into their past together. I loved writing it and love the cover my publisher chose.

I'm also excited about my recent series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed by

Goddesses Anonymous (4 books)
  • Somewhere Between Luck and Trust (Goddesses Anonymous #2)
  • No River Too Wide (Goddesses Anonymous #3)
  • The Color of Light (Goddesses Anonymous, #4)