Start by marking “Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad” as Want to Read:
Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad

Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  950 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
In 2005, Dan Bucatinsky and his partner, Don Roos, found themselves in an L.A. delivery room, decked out in disposable scrubs from shower cap to booties, to welcome their adopted baby girl—launching their frantic yet memorable adventures into fatherhood. Two and a half years later, the same birth mother—a heroically generous, pack-a-day teen with a passion for Bridezilla m ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?

Jim
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend, the Emmy-winning actor and writer Dan Bucatinsky, has written a hilarious, bawdy, touching, and informative book which about the unique trials and pleasures of raising children in a same-sex marriage. I laughed a lot reading this book, but I cried a couple of times, too, because there is extraordinary love revealed in these pages. Ultimately, love is all that really matters, and its importance as a foundation for marriage or parenting is vividly portrayed here. It's really, really fun ...more
Melodie
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books with essays on kids and parenting are a dime a dozen. Most full of advice, some funny, some try to be funny and miss the mark. This is not one of these.
The author, a writer and actor gives us a unique view of parenting, that of raising children as gay parents.The author and his husband adopted two children from a mom unable to raise them. That essay alone gave me a unique view of the adoption process from a gay parent's perspective. An eye-opener for sure.
Politically incorrectness and t
BWT (Belen)

Filled with humor, and plenty of amusing and heartwarming anecdotes alike, this was a terrific listen.

I've been a fan of Dan Bucatinsky for a while (still mad about Scandal - James Novak was a favored character! 😭) and Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad was simply delightful and absolutely made better by Bucatinsky narrating it personally.

This quickie review has been cross-posted at Gay Book Reviews.
Ciara
i really enjoyed this book. yes, it's another collection of humorous essays about parenting, but unlike so many of its contemporaries, this book was actually funny! & perhaps even more important, it was thoughtful. bucatinsky wrote how the gendered expectations of parenting roles are upended when both parents are men, his feelings of responsibility in trying to make parenting seem appealing to other gay men, & he even touched on a topic that many queer couples would be loath to address: ...more
Rae
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Some of the chapters were funny but I got really tired of hearing how gross fat people are. Final straw was when he was so disgusted by a "heavy" 8 year old wearing a bikini, though his own daughter has a "perfect tummy". Gross Dan.
Lots of cute stories about a happy family fashioned in love and against odds. Bucatinsky is funny, truly, and only human- but I couldn't get past some of his prejudices. I think he'd be the first to admit to some of them (the whole essay on talking to his children about fat shaming was more or less just him wrestling with his societal conditioning in that area) but even early on in the book he attacks a scammer/con-artist/bad person by calling her ugly, plain, fat, etc. Yuck. I did love a look i ...more
Katie
I really enjoyed this. Definitely pick it up on audio. Bucatinsky's narrating was fantastic.
Admittedly, I only really know Bucatinsky from Scandal (love him on that show!), but now I plan to check out other things he's been in.
Great essays about parenting and family - no matter what kind of family you have, you will be able to relate. I swear, some of the conversations he's had with his kids were word for word the same ones I've had. You can tell how much he cares about his family, even as he's
Kim
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Bucatinsky is an actor, writer, and producer and has appeared in films as well as series such as Scandal and 24:Legacy. In this memoir he talks about his experiences with his partner in adopting two children.

The couple worked through an attorney to find a willing birth mother. The first attempt dried up when the mother continually avoided drug testing and, when pressed, falsified a clean test. They eventually found a mother who was not in a position to raise an infant and agreed to an adopti
Ray Campbell
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
This book is very, very funny. While it's clearly meant as a lighthearted journey through life, love and creating a "modern" family, as Bucatinsky tells stories, his humor surpasses many stand-up specials I've seen on HBO. Bucatinsky's take on family life from the perspective of a gay man is well written, full of universal insight and specific challenges he and his husband have had as a gay couple.

I picked this up because the title was amusing. I've read lots of humorists who explore baby poop a
Shannon Dyer
I didn’t always appreciate the humor, but I’m still glad I read this.
Jennifer Lavoie
I'm a member of a book club that sometimes ships the new books automatically...because I've forgotten to decline the books. In this instance, Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight? came to me because I had - once again - forgotten to turn down the selections chosen for me. Since I already paid for them and the package had come, I didn't really feel like sending them back. It was too much of a pain.

I'm glad I didn't.

Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight? Confessions of a Gay Dad is a hysterical mem
Dana
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really 3.5 stars because I did like it, it just wasn't super amazing. Exactly 12 years ago I stumbled upon The kid by Dan Savage on the "new book" shelf at the Port Townsend Public Library. New to the Pacific Northwest I did not know who Dan Savage was, but after reading his wonderful memoir about him and his partner Terry adopting their son I was hooked and have followed Dan Savage ever since.

Dan Bucatinsky shares, in very intimate details, the wonders and horrors of parenting and he w
Carey Costa burtnett
The first couple of pages in this book about what to do when your daughter realizes certain things about her anatomy had me instantly rolling and committed to Bucatinsky's book. He's hilarious at times and so genuinely emotional at times.
It was a nice balance of memoir and humor, parenting stories and simple life lessons. Regardless of his experiences revolving around being part of a same-sex couple, I was able to relate to almost all of it. I couldn't put it down once I started.
Faye Harper
Moderately amusing in a few places towards the middle, but the author is not an especially nice person and after a while the low grade misogyny really began to grind on my nerves. This trend of being "REAL" is getting boring- you're just being a whiny asshole, it doesn't make you cutting edge or funny. It felt like he was just alternating sentences with nasty judgmental thoughts and sweet things spoken out loud to his cute kids. Not an ultimately positive or enjoyable read.
Lindsey
I really enjoyed this memoir about becoming a dad and what the first few years of parenthood have been like for Buckatinsky and his husband. He touches on heavy subjects, but throughout he keeps a sense of humor making the book a quick and fun read. I could relate to so many of his choices as a parent and his feelings of uncertainty. We've certainly all been there.
Erin
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is delightful. The author does talk quite a bit about his daughter's vagina, which is, in context, a brave and timely choice. However, if you aren't used to it - and you aren't - it comes as a bit of a surprise.
Tyler Morton
Ehh, it was a fun read, but not overly compelling. Similar to Dan Savage's The Kid, but I found Bucatinksy more relatable than Savage.
LoriO
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books of linked essays are hard when you're not David Sedaris. This one was pretty good; there were a few rage-inducing inconsistencies (a chapter about being obsessed about what goes in your kids' mouths followed one or two later by a chapter in which a mom is giving him a hard time about the fact that he's letting his kids eat crap) that take a star off all ratings, and I really got tired by the end of the fact that every chapter had an almost-same structure (he needed a bit of editing). There ...more
Lloyd Dewolf
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed. I higher recommend to all potential parents, parents to be and parents -- it may make you want another.

The book brought back many memories of my own experience -- much of parenting is a universal experience.

I found the stories on "open adoption" interesting.

The only part that made my cringe was the "bit gun" medical statistics the author used to convince his partner to circumcise their son. The author cherry picked a couple of medical findings to support his culturally prefe
RCA
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my normal read but I got as a cheap audible ($1.95) and frankly adored it. Gay men go through the same insecurities as a parent as the rest of us. As life and death happens, this is a book all new parents should listen to. These are two celebrities to are migrating life the best way they know and raising their adopted children with love and compassion. Follow through their journey attempting to adopt, lose and gain friends, struggle with religion, loss of a parent. As a 30 something ...more
John Vanderslice
I think this is an important subject--an underrepresented one in contemporary letters--and Bucatinsky deserves a lot of credit for telling his and his husband's story as honestly as he does, warts and all. You certainly get the feeling that he's not holding anything back. In the book, Bucatinsky comes across as an earnest if rather overly anxious parent. The man loves his kids. On the other hand, I have to say that he really doesn't seem like the most likable person in the world. (Since I don't ...more
DianeK Klu
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea who the author of this book is, even after googling him. Obviously a writer for TV but I have no idea from which show. It must be a funny one though; I laughed so many times while listening to the audio version of this book. I love smart witty writers. His kids are lucky to have such funny and loving Dads. I would love for his partner to write a similar book to hear his side of things. Five fabulous stars!
Melody
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bucatinsky has written a funny, touching account of his and his husband's parenting experiences. While the principles are applicable to any parent - married or single, GLTBQ or straight - I found it particularly enlightening regarding the parenting challenges specific to gay couples. I laughed, I cried, I learned a lot.
Heather
Cute. Fun. Easy read. He does a great job narrating his own audiobook, because of course because he's an actor. He and his partner adopted two kids. So it's basically mostly fun stories about being a dad, with the gay dad spin. They seem like a cute family.
Kaytee Cobb
Definitely some laugh out loud funny moments, stories that make you shake your head, and sweet reminiscences. Mostly a collection of stories that reminds each of us that families are made in every way, and, no matter what yours looks like, the common thread is love.
Jeff
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I acknowledge that this book isn't for everyone. But it was for me. As someone who's trying to become a gay daddy, it was reassuring to know that I'm not alone, and invigorating to hear a success story. Actually, two success stories.
Sarah Jordan
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This made me laugh out loud on several occasions.
Sarahanne
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just what you would hope = funny and heartwarming and sweet. It's a memoir & I fell in love with all the people in it. Good storytelling.
Erin Henry
Half way through but it's just not my taste.
  • Following Foo: The Electronic Adventures of the Chestnut Man
  • Mommy Man: How I Went from Mild-Mannered Geek to Gay Superdad
  • My Two Moms: Lessons of Love, Strength, and What Makes a Family
  • All I Could Bare: My Life in the Strip Clubs of Gay D.C.
  • Breeding in Captivity: One Woman's Unusual Path to Motherhood
  • The Greeks & Greek Love: A Bold New Exploration of the Ancient World
  • Life's That Way
  • Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay
  • Coming Out to Play
  • It Gets Better: Coming Out, Overcoming Bullying, and Creating a Life Worth Living
  • When I Die: Lessons from the Death Zone
  • Gay Men Don't Get Fat
  • The Good Neighbor
  • How I Learned to Snap: A Small-Town Coming-Out and Coming-Of-Age Story
Dan Bucatinsky was born in New York City, to Argentinian parents. He later went to Vassar College, graduated Phi Beta Kappa and moved back to New York to become an actor and a writer. After moving to Los Angeles, in 1992, he met his current husband of 20 years, filmmaker Don Roos. Professionally, Dan is known for writing and starring in the indie romatic comedy "All Over the Guy" (Lionsgate). In 2 ...more
More about Dan Bucatinsky...