Start by marking “Monkey Robot” as Want to Read:
Monkey  Robot

Monkey Robot

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Meet best pals Monkey & Robot. This snappy collection of stories includes their first four adventures!Monkey and Robot are friends—the best kind. They simply belong together, and it never matters that silly Monkey is furry, or that kind Robot can rust. What matters is their sharing: movies and popcorn, games of hide-and-seek, a fish tank for…a hippopotamus?

Joining the
Published January 29th 2013 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey Robot

Maggi Rohde
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I LOVED this book. Loved loved loved. It made me actually laugh out loud. But my kids' response? "That monkey is creepy." It's the teeth. I don't care, I still love it.
Angieleigh
There are four short stories in this book and in each of them I found Monkey to be a spoiled, whiney brat. All he did was complain! I'm not exactly sure how Robot didn't walk away or get completely exasperated with him.

I found in the second story, which is about scary movies, that Robot pressured Monkey too much to watch a genre that Monkey was not comfortable with. Robot didn't care and just turned it on anyway, regardless of his friend's feelings. I wasn't overly fond with that story as I don
Aimee
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
Read this with my 5 year old and the 2 year old might have listened in on part of it too. Monkey and Robot are a fun duo and my kids liked their stories. Just fun stories for younger kids, not much to say about it.
Heather Pleier
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading this book. Monkey is very relatable for my son, who has ADHD-like characteristics. I love finding books where characters speak to my kids and how they relate with others. Please write more!
 ★ gwiz ★
Good life stories for young readers. Although, I would have like the first Monster Movie a bit different.
Kirsten
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A funny little book about two rambunctious friends with very different ways of seeing the world. Great for the earliest readers transitioning to chapter books.
Heidi
Fun and funny beginning chapter book
Taylor Horvat
Personal Reaction: I really enjoyed this book because of it's outlook on friendship that it clearly shows. This book is about two friends who are different from each other but come together in an unlikely friendship. Peter Catalanotto creates two fun characters that students can relate to where Monkey is always getting in trouble and Robot is there to help him out. I enjoyed the quirky characters and friendship aspect of this fun beginner read.

Use in the Classroom: With only 4 chapters in this b
Teresa Scherping Moulton
Meet Monkey and Robot, a dynamic duo who love playing games, learning from each other, and dunking cookies in milk. When Robot decides to watch a scary movie, Monkey has to cover his eyes with a blanket - but then the music is still too scary! When the two friends try to play a game, Monkey's die flies out the window and gets picked up by a passing dog. When Robot brings home a small cocoon, Monkey waits to see what will come out of it. An elephant? A dinosaur? In a game of hide-and-seek, what w ...more
Shawn Thrasher
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
The tone and dialogue reminded me a little bit of another monkey world - Lilian Hoban's Arthur's Christmas Cookies (sadly, no robots in that world). This monkey is more modern than Hoban's, but the stories are simple and funny, just like that. The best beginning readers and short chapter books all seem to have that delightful tone to them - a little droll, with some humor, tinged with sweetness. The pictures in this weren't my favorite - they sort of looked like someone gave the author a pencil ...more
Debrarian
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good characters. Stories have good pacing, emotional resonance, and are funny. Introduce new vocabulary (eg. die is the singular of dice). And I can totally relate to Monkey’s issues around scary movives.

Quibbles: Misuse of lay on p. 46: “Monkey sat at the table, folded his arms, and lay down his head.” should be “laid.” Also, first two non-narrative pages (showing Monkey as an astronaut and riding a skateboard) set up Monkey’s character as a lot more adult/cool than he proves to be, which for
Barbara
This early reader features four stories about the fast friendship between Monkey and Robot. Whether they are watching a scary movie together or making new rules about turns when playing a game or even playing Hide-and-Seek, these two are friends, no matter what. I have to say that I liked Robot a whole lot better than Monkey because he was so patient and understanding while Monkey seemed to be a bit of a handful. The graphite pencil and ink illustrations add to the book's fun as readers can foll ...more
Sharon Lawler
This is a nice choice for those children who are ready to try their hand at an easy chapter book. Four chapters, with simple sentence structure with black and white drawings in graphite and ink, describe the friendship between Monkey, who worries, and Robot, who is upbeat and carefree. Perfect for the child who is not ready for Catalanotto's "Second Grade Friends" series, but who want to read a "chapter book."
Penny Peck
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya
Looking for something for a child moving up from easy readers, but for whom chapter books are still a little too intimidating? Try this relatively easy transitional chapter book, with pencil sketch illustrations, about the odd couple of monkey and robot. They watch a movie, play hide and seek, and have a sleepover. The plot is too close to last year's RABBIT AND ROBOT: THE SLEEPOVER, but still nice.
Great Books
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-5-8
Monkey and Robot share much fun and laughter in this easy chapter book. They watch a scary movie (though Monkey watches from under a blanket,) play a board game (one die flies out the window, and mud and hilarity ensue,) and share other activities, all with humorous consquences. The soft pencil drawings do a nice job of supporting the stories; adding an extra level of charm to these lovable characters.
Reviewer #19
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
This humorous, beginning chapter book for grades 1 and up follows the exploits of two good buddies who discover that no matter what, friends stick together. Readers will relate to the two main characters along with the situations they find themselves in.
Reviewed by: Lisa Marie Smith, Youth Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Amy
Very funny and clever. Love the friendship between Monkey and Robot. Fun and expressive illustrations. Great for readers looking to try chapter books. Nice bridge between beginning readers and more in-depth chapter books.
Anastasia Tuckness
So different, yet still friends. Robot loves monster movies, Monkey can only stand to watch them with a blanket over his head, singing a song, and eating popcorn out of a special bowl. But they make it work! Superb pencil drawings, too.
Pack children
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jesse
I'm a huge fan of these Easy Reader/Beginning Chapter Books. They are very Frog and Toad-esque. Dear friends laughing and learning together. Incredibly warm in feel- very funny for adults and children alike.
JESSE
Naomi Blackburn
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
A first chapter (done as 4 stories) book for young readers. It was a cute read with pencil drawing illustrations. I am trying to figure out what book these characters reminded me of another "young readers duo" but I can't quite remember right now.
Jj
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the stories in this early reader book, but there is something about monkey that bothers me. He looks creepy, and not entirely like a monkey. I just can't get past that. Other than said Monkey continuously wigging me out through the course of the book, though, I did enjoy it.
NYC Reads 365
"Robot knows a lot more than his friend Monkey, who gets nervous before trying anything new. In these four stories, Robot teaches Monkey about scary movies, dice games, caterpillars, and hide-and-seek."
Kendra
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this very early chapter book. Monkey and Robot remind me of the best friends I had as a child and im sure children will completely relate to these two. The illustrations are hysterical.
Carol
Parts were kind of cute and parts were a little creepy in a way. Monkey's expressions and facial features were a little to human which is where I think the creepiness for me comes in. Overall a kind of cute chapter book for those just transitioning out of easy readers into intermediate chapters.
A. Somers
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very cute beginner chapter book along the same lines as a Frog and Toad frienship. We all know kids just like Monkey! You can't help but smile at his childlike enthusiasm and misconceptions.
Carolyn Ferguson
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book about two friends and how they overcome different challenges. They work together and I feel like that is what makes this book so great. This would be a great life lessons book for all children.
Holly Thompson
Nice beginning reader. Cute stories about good friends and having fun together.
Bethe
Great choice for young readers yearning to read a chapter book. Monkey and Robot remind me of Elephant and Piggie in humor, tone, and adventure.
Diana Pettis
Monkey and Robot are friends that go on many adventures. It kind of reminds me of the Little Bear books if you are familiar with those. It was ok but I would not run out to buy this book.
Kristen
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
Simple, very early chapter book along the lines of Elephant and Piggie, but with a character who's even more shy, worried, and retiring (Monkey) than Gerald is.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »