Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo” as Want to Read:
The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,195 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
One of Mexico’s most celebrated new novelists, F. G. Haghenbeck offers a beautifully written reimagining of Frida Kahlo’s fascinating life and loves.

When several notebooks were recently discovered among Frida Kahlo’s belongings at her home in Coyoacán, Mexico City, acclaimed Mexican novelist F. G. Haghenbeck was inspired to write this beautifully wrought fictional account
...more
ebook, 368 pages
Published September 25th 2012 by Atria Books (first published 2009)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Cornelia
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For recipes 5*

Overall 3.5*
David
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mexican-lit
I saw the cover of this book across the bookstore and was intrigued. The jacket liner said this book was based on the "secret" Hierba Santa Book and now lost. That sparked a further interest as a few years ago I had read Frida's Notebook. positioned nicely between chapters were authentic Frida recipes that sounded awfully sensuous too. The author is a Mexican who had won an award (for another book) and perhaps he might have some more insight so I thought, "Why not?"

It was fun. This is basically
...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Frida, Frida, horny chiquita.
She didn't get to have a very long life, but she made sure she didn't get shortchanged when it came to physical pleasure. Considering the decades of relentless, excruciating pain she had to endure, it's no surprise that she wanted to drown that pain with carnal delights.

3.5 stars
juan carlos
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¿para qué leer el libro secreto de frida kahlo?

1. Por qué a través de una prosa poética y llena de melancolía y oscuridad nos muestra la relación de esta pintora mexicana con su madrina la muerte. Ayudando al lector a entender el significado de muchas de sus obras.
2. El libro te explica lo necesario de la vida de esta mujer desde su infancia, sus estudios, sus amores, sus enfermedades, accidentes,etc. Haciendo entender al lector que el carácter y la inspiración de Frida eran coherentes a todas l
...more
Petya
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книгата ми достави голямо удоволствие. Потопи ме изцяло в екзотичния свят на Фрида Кало, с интересен мексикански привкус. Авторът ме впечатли с дълбокото си разбиране на същността на художничката, на най-съкровените й емоции и мисли. Книгата е наситена с много чувственост между редовете. Конструкцията е оригинална. Много добре се вписва магическият реализъм. Препоръчвам я на всички фенове на Фрида.
Петър Панчев
Фрида Кало – живот като съновидение
Цялото ревю тук: http://knijenpetar.blogspot.bg/2015/0...

„Мексиканците се надсмиваме над смъртта. Всеки повод е добър да се празнува. Раждането и смъртта са най-важните мигове в живота ни. Смъртта е и скръб, и радост; трагедия и забавление. Съжителстваме със сетния си час, приготвяйки хляб, украсен със захаросани кости, кръгъл като цикъла на живота; а в центъра е черепът. Сладък, но заоблен. Такава съм и аз.“

Едва ли някой си е представял, че една биография на
...more
Rebecca Renard
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Though I appreciate Frida's art work, I've never really been a "Frida-phile". So when my father gifted me with this book, I wasn't sure if I'd truly enjoy it. From the first page, though, I was hooked; and as the story progressed, I found myself absolutely swimming in its images, smells, sounds, and emotions. Haghenbeck created such a rich, detailed magical world for Frida Kahlo. I could feel what Frida was feeling about Diego, about his lovers, about her lovers, about her pain, and about those ...more
Diana
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I picked it up for Frida, and was seriously disappointed. It reads like it was written for a 5th grader, but the graphic sexual encounters show the author meant the book for a more mature audience. I also really didn't like the recipe book/journal parts, printed in handwriting, which made me feel like people looking over my shoulder in the subway were severely judging me. Overall an unpleasant read, despite some interesting moments.
Mina  Pejović
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kakva priča, kakvi likovi! Knjiga je prava poslastica za one koji vole da uživaju u svim zadovoljstvima koje nam život pruža i koja nas podseća koliko je taj isti život kratak i da ga treba proživeti kao da je svaki dan poslednji!
Nicko D
Absolutely by chance I found this book, but it definitely grabbed my attention. The book could be read in few hours. Who hasn’t heard about Frida Kahlo? Definitely a very interesting life filled with all sorts of events and meetings with more interesting people like Salvador Dali, Henry Miller, Picasso, Hemingway, etc. As far as I know the book purports to be a biography of Frida. For me Frida deserves far better biography than this and one idea more serious book! In this book for me was hard to ...more
Ricardo Rios
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es un must!! Buenísimo!! 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼
Patricia Gonzalez Cortez
Desde que lo vi, me enamoré. Una historia onírica donde saboreas cada receta a la par de cada episodio de vida de esta diva. Con reflexiones tan profundas hacia la vida y el dolor, toca tu corazón y te identificas con un alma llena de misticismo y amor a mexico. Lo he disfrutado de principio a fin.
Camilla
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I can probably pick out a Frida Kahlo painting; they're pretty distinctive. But I definitely can't say that I know much about her life. So, I was instantly intrigued by the premise of The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo.

The titular secret book was found among her personal effects at La Casa Azul, her childhood home, and contained recipes for offerings on the Day of the Dead. The book mysteriously vanished the day it was supposed to be exhibited.

This is just one of the things that puzzled me. Did this
...more
Melissa
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I became interested in Frida Kahlo when I was first introduced to Diego Rivera in an Art History class. I admit, I did not care for Diego's murals as much as I did Frida's honesty. I didn't understand why we didn't go more into Frida as we did Diego. To this day I still do not. I think she was actually the better painter of the two. Her work which has a surreal quality to it, often shows her pain in which she was plagued all of her life.

This book did remind me about the movie made of her life, F
...more
Sterlingcindysu
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Last summer I was happy to receive books from Atria Books Galley Alley and this was one. I was reading The Lacuna and thought this would continue my background on Frida, art, history of the '20s to the '50s, etc. Unfortunately it was no comparison--to continue with the food thread of this book, it would be the same if someone offered a saltine after having a Mississippi Mud pie.

Maybe I'm hungry. But it can't be because of the recipes and food descriptions in this book. Even after reading the re
...more
Debra
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In my very early twenties, I was exposed to Kahlo's works at an exhibition at SMU. I was enthralled.

I had never seen anything so weird or wonderful.

Since that time and long ago art exhibit, I have been fascinated with the life and works of Frida Kahlo, the Mexican artist and personality who has perhaps over-shadowed her once more famous husband, Diego Rivera. Picking up The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo by F. G. Haghenbeck was a natural for me.

Haghenbeck discovered a small notebook belonging to K
...more
AnneKristine Norris
As I was reading this book, it constantly reminded me of grading fourth grade essays. Extravagant use of literary device just for the sake of literary devices. Too many similes on a page for me. I couldn't get through it. On to something else.
Smoky Zeidel
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Magical realism lends itself well to this imaginative story of the life of Frida Kahlo, an artist who, to me, was already larger than life. I was in tears as the book drew to its inevitable conclusion.
Amanda Woodward
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a strange and eerie book that made me want a good mole.
Éva Tóth-Bumberák
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a beautiful book for a real fanatic as me, I liked the concept with the recipes and the death following Frida. I could understand that it might not be a perfect literature piece for people who look at it that way, but in my opinion, for what it wanted to be it was very great.
Jasminka
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Jedno je sigurno – Frida Kalo je nadasve fascinantna žena. U ovoj neobišnoj knizi autor Francisco Haghenbeck nam priča o njenom životu, njenim snovima, njenom bolu.... Njen je život bio kratak, ali turbulentan.
„Među Fridinim ličnim stvarima nalazila se i mala crna beležnica koju je zvala „Knjiga o svetoj travi“ („Hierba Santa Book“. To je zbirka recepata za pripremu ponuda za Dan mrtvih. Prema predanju, pokojnici 2. novembra dobijaju odobrenje da posete zemlju i treba ih dočekati oltarom od nev
...more
Deb
The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo is as much or more about the food as it is the story of Frida's life, told from the notebooks and sketchbooks supposedly found in Frida's home, Casa Azul in Mexico City. The author, F. G. Haghenbeck, writes the novel as a special notebook; “El Libro de Hierba Santa” (“The Sacred Herbs Book”) where Frida's story is shared through her memories and recipes. Frida Kahlo led a very colorful life in more ways than one and the book is at times sad, at times humorous, at t ...more
Mona  AlvaradoFrazier
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a translation from the Spanish novel by F.G. Haghenbeck, a Mexican author, and historian who writes award-winning crime novels, scripts for Superman and other graphic novels. I give you his background because all of it enters into his fascinating fictional account of Frida Kahlo's life.

The book starts out with: "Among Frida Kahlo's personal effects, there was a little black book called 'The Hierba Santa Book'...a recipe collection for offerings on the Day of the Dead...It was to be
...more
Octavia Cade
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fictional biography of the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, with magical realist overtones. The underlying relationship is that between Frida and her "godmother" Death, and this lends a fantastic touch to the text.

I've been a fan of Kahlo for years, ever since I saw a film about her, so I knew the bare bones of her biography. I haven't read any fiction about her before though, and this book is highly imaginative, well worth a read.

The writing's vivid and sensual, punctuated by Mexican recipes. Gran
...more
Amy
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-clubs
I was recently in Mexico on vacation, and Frida Kahlo's image is absolutely everywhere (I even dined at a restaurant inspired by her art), so I was very intrigued by this novel.

In fact, I had to remind myself several times during reading that this was a novel - it's a dramatization of Frida Kahlo's life. The imagery of the beauty, the pain, the foods, and the culture hooked me from the beginning.

I only wish that more of her works were mentioned by name (so I could reference them later). I also n
...more
Diana Teneva
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Пожелах си тази книга още в момента, когато излезе на българския пазар, но чак сега ми се сбъдна като коледен подарък. Изчетох я на един дъх, за един ден. Ето някои от моите бележки за нея: нестандартна биография, чиято водеща нишка е тайният бележник на Фрида Кало. Най-големите си прозрения за живота, любовта, изкуството великата художничка прави докато записва екзотични рецепти. Целият ѝ живот е болка и страдание, което тя претворява в изкуство.

http://dianart-dten.blogspot.bg/2015/...
Sumaiyya
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a great place to start if you want to get a better understanding of Frida Kahlo the artist and the person. I love how it was like a shot of magic realism but at the same time so rooted in artistic and political history. Any book which gives a glimpse of Hemingway, Dali, Nin and Duchamp is a treat for me.
Salmajhn
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro totalmente diferente a lo que he leído, lleno de colores y sabores.
Frida es México mismo. Y en estas páginas lo demuestra. Un gusto el cruzarme con este libro digno de tomarlo varias veces en la vida.
Vivien
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe das Buch richtig geliebt, es vereint so viele großartige Dinge: Biografie, Kunst, Liebe und Kochen.
Die Geschichte ist natürlich aufgerüscht, das macht den Roman aber spannend und ich konnte mich sehr gut mit Frida identzifizieren. Die Kochrezepte kommen thematisch passend mit kleinen Anektdoten, sehr nett gemacht.
Den Punktabzug verschuldet das Buch nicht selbst, er liegt einfach daran, dass die Zutaten für die dargestellten Gerichte in Deutschland schwierig bis unmöglich zu beschaffen
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Burden of Desire
  • Appetite
  • Haussmann, or the Distinction
  • Things Can Only Get Feta: Two Journalists and Their Crazy Dog Living Through the Greek Crisis
  • The Leger Connection (Genevieve Lenard, #7)
  • In Montmartre: Picasso, Matisse and the Birth of Modernist Art
  • Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo
  • Sointula
  • The Painter's Apprentice
  • Godiva
  • The Hatmaker's Heart
  • Pati's Mexican Table: The Secrets of Real Mexican Home Cooking
  • The Ruby in Her Navel
  • Dispute Over a Very Italian Piglet
  • Romancing the Brush: An Austin, Texas Art Mystery (Michelle Hodge, #2)
  • The Mask Carver's Son
  • The Double Wedding Ring (Someday Quilts Mysteries, #5)
  • Sipping from the Nile: My Exodus from Egypt
29 followers
Francisco Gerardo Haghenbeck nació en 1965, en Ciudad de México. Estudió arquitectura en la Universidad La Salle y trabajó en museos, y posteriormente en Televisa como creativo y productor. Fundó Costal de huesos, editorial dedicada al cómic mexicano.

En conjunto con Brian Augustyn y Oscar Pinto escribió el guion de Crimson, una serie de cómics de fantasía y horror, primero publicada por Image Comi
...more