Start by marking “Robot Zot!” as Want to Read:
Robot Zot!

Jon Scieszka

Robot Zot!

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  679 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
From the minds of Scieszka and Shannon comes a tale of a quixotic robot determined to conquer the earth. The only problem is that the earth he lands on is a suburban kitchen and he is three inches tall. Robot Zot, the fearless and unstoppable warrior, leaves a trail of destruction as he encounters blenders, toasters, and televisions. But when he discovers the princess...a ...more
Published September 20th 2011 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Robot Zot!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robot Zot!

The Library Lady
I know I am supposed to love this.
Jon Scieszka! David Shannon! Robots! Super Cool!

But alas, I don't.
I'm sure the kids will love it--I mean, it's ROBOTS!

I'm sure the Caldecott people will adore this. After all, it's 2 superstars of kidlit working together, who would dare find it anything but fabulous?

But I don't. And I won't pretend otherwise.
rtxlib
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Robot Zot posits the question what if, instead of being a delusional geriatric man caught up in the romance of Medieval chivalry, Don Quixote was actually a delusional two foot tall robot from outer space. Wearing a Saturnesque helmet similar to the barber basin Don Quixote dons and dutifully followed by a dog like creature in the shape of a Spanish conquistador helmet with googly eyes, Zot crash lands in the heart of "Earth Army."

While the Robot heedlessly rushes into the fray the book pans ou
Rick O'Connor
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I think this is a good picture book for a Pre-K audience that offers up a fantasy/science fiction adventure that will amuse them and make them think about the possibilities of science and of the future. At such a young age, shouldn't we be tapping into all (appropriate) genres to spark an itnerest in reading? A book like this satisfies the fantasy/science-fiction department and shows kids that it's okay and cool to like robots and this sort of make-believe.

Essentially a robot comes to Earth and
L-Crystal Wlodek
Robot Zot is recommended for children ages preschool-third grade. This book is about a robot who wants to conquer the world. Robot Zot crashes into an alien environment of a suburban kitchen, battles with fearsome kitchen appliances and a TV, which he calls a challenging transmitter. He also rescues a toy cell phone, which is better known as the Queen of all Earth before zooming off to distant galaxies to save anything else he can.

This book has everything that interests young children including
M.cholewick
Robot Zot is about a robot named, Zot who has a mission to "conquer all." Ironically, robot Zot is only a couple inches tall, and battles common household appliances. However, he encounters the "Queen" and all the sudden, his mission changes to that of love-struck hero.

Initially, I was looking forward to reading this book for young readers, however, I was very disappointed in it. Perhaps it's from reading it as an adult, but I found the text font difficult to read. Although I can see why it wou
CH - Marvin Childress
Author: Jon Scieszka; Illustrated: David Shannon; (Print;) Age: k-3

Robot Zot! is book reminiscent of Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story. Zot is a toy robot from another planet who decides to invade Earth. He lands in a home where he thinks all electronics are attacking him. He is very confrontational...particularly when he sees his reflection in the toaster. He challenges himself to fight and wins. Zot feels he has defeated all electronics and he falls in love with a toy cellular telephone that he ki
Ch13_megan Carlisle
Children will enjoy Zot's adventures as he takes on household appliances and falls for the beautiful "Earth Queen". The paintings in the text version of this book fill up all the space on the page. They are attention getting and colorful, transporting the reader into Robot Zot's war with the household appliances. The repetition of the text will benefit younger readers as they root for Zot and his attempt to rescue his beloved queen.

Scholastic also has a DVD version of Robot Zot that comes with 4
Dergrossest
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what a kid's book should be: funny for the child and amusing for the parent. My 6 year old twins cannot stop laughing whenever I pull this out and they really want to know what the few big words mean so that they can enjoy it even more - I call that "Mission Accomplished". The illustration is excellent as well. Bam-bot!
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Jen
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I can see why some might like this, but I found it cluttered and kind of confusing.
Betsy
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fred and Ginger. Abbott and Costello. Cheech and Chong. Famous pairings have flourished throughout history, and it’s a proud person who can put their finger down and say, “I was there when it started. I remember the beginning.” So as you sit in your comfy little chairs surfing the web, take a moment in breathe deeply and commit to memory this moment in history. When Jon Scieszka and David Shannon made a picture book together at last. Oh, I know they’ve worked together before. But the Trucktown s ...more
Suzanne V
I am a fan of David Shannon, and found this at the library this week when looking for books for my four-year-old. Shannon collaborated on this project, so the artwork was up to standard and what I expected. However, I did not care for the story, and neither did my son. I didn't feel that the author was connected to the character he wanted to create. This is the story of a robot who apparently comes to earth to destroy the planet, does some destruction to a home until he seems a mechanical toy an ...more
Melissa
This little robot has it all wrong. But you can't feel bad for him when in his perspective he's a wild, unmitigated success! I had to point a lot out to my kids, but we all rolled with laughter as Zot "conquered" Earth, fell in love with a queen, and saved the day - while only not really doing any of those things.
Shel
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scieszka, J. (2009). Robot Zot! New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

Appetizer: Warlord Robot Zot has arrived on Earth to conquer the Earthlings. As his battles begin, it turns out he's after different Earthlings than the reader would expect. As Robot Zot seeks to conquer foe after foe, he finds someone worth fighting for.

So very imaginative and fun!

Jon Scieszka uses onomatopoeia, rhymes, repetition and a fun rhythm to tell Robot Zot's adventure. It's hard not to b
Danielle
The Turkeybird Speaks(My three year old son's perspective): "I'm a huge fan of both robots and dogs and this book has both! Plus, it also has that funny phone my sister, Littlebug, is always carrying all over the house, just so she can dance at any given moment. Yuck! I'm not a big fan of dancing, as you could probably guess, but robots...robots are cool!

"Robot Zot has come to earth to conquer us and take our planet captive! He starts off in a small house (since he is a little smaller than you'd
Jaie
Feb 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book on a whim from the library because my 4yo son loves robots. Then I read it to him and his 8yo sister without pre-reading it. I was very disappointed.

The art was cute and I personally liked the reveal that he was small in size. But the font was hard to read. And the rhythm/cadence was hard to find. Hard to read out loud.

What really bothered me most though, and my 8yo daughter too!, was the boy robot savior hero complex. We need another one of these?! He's sure this telephone q
Cristina
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Text Summary
Robot Zot crash lands his Attack Ship in the land of the dangerous Earth Army... aka a typical suburban kitchen. He soon finds that he must battle Earth’s shiny captain (a toaster), a giant transmission sender (t.v.), and Earth’s most fearsome Commander General (a puppy), to save the beloved Earth Queen (a toy phone). Robot Zot faces his challenges heroically as he calls out: “Robot Zot—Brave Bot! Robot Zot—Hero Bot!”

Literary merits
In this picture book, Jon Scieszka weaves together r
Peter
Oct 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've become a fan of Jon Scieszka. He grew up with 4 brothers, is involved in education, and writes for boys.

James, who is six, thought this was fun, but not awesome. I agree. A good read, not one we'll buy. I think if Will (eight) had read it when he was younger, he would have liked it. He's more interested in Robots than the others, but has been reading chapter books for a couple of years now.

While they aren't all hits, Scieska's books consistently interest my boys. Smash Crash was a bigger hi
Amy
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
The kids liked this book. My nephew liked it because he likes robots, and because it was a colorful action-packed book, just the sort of thing that appeals to him. He laughed in places, but I'm not sure exactly how much of this book he really understood. At times it seemed like he understood what was going on, other times he seemed confused. But then, so was I, so I can't say I blame him.

My niece liked it because it was a colorful action-packed book that she thought was funny and clever.

I did no
Esther
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Well, this book boasts the dynamic duo of Jon Scieszka and David Shannon which could only be beat possibly by Scieszka & Lane Smith (who have collaborated multiple times). I would say that this book is geared to boys (which isn't surprising as Scieszka started a group & website "guys read" and another "guys write") as it is about a war-making robot who destroys every kitchen appliance in his way to world domination. But Aurora loves it although I'm not exactly sure why as the book is abo ...more
Kaitlyn Craig
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book was an okay book. I like how it could expand children's imagination and was engaging. The robot did a variety of things that most students see and can picture the robot doing. The ending was a little sad, but some stories end sad.
Alicia Knight
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robot Zot is the ultimate warrior! He will let nothing stand in his way and will destroy anything that tries to stop him. Robot Zot crashes and bashes through his day battling enemies who challenge and insult him. But, he just so happens to run into the most beautiful thing he's ever seen, the queen of all the land. As she stood right in front of him, for the first time, Robot Zot felt something other then destruction and war in his bot body. When his queen gets in trouble he runs to her rescue ...more
Angelique Scott
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scieska's "Robot Zot!" is a comical science-fiction picture book that follows the daring robot Zot, who plans to conquer the Earth. Starting in a mighty battlefield, Zot defeats all who cross him. As several battles are won, the audience discovers Zot is comically a toy robot defeating household objects such as a blender, television, toaster, and so on. With world domination in his grasp, Zot's mission is halted once he finds true love.

"Robot Zot!" is a romantic science fiction comedy. The book
Eyehavenofilter
Ordinarily I would not have been drawn to this but I flipped to the last page and the expression on the Black Labs face made me read this.
It's a "Wham bam Thank you Mam" kina story. Minimal plot minimal verbiage, but packs one heck of a whallop.
I did end up really appreciating the humor which was in the details on every inch of every page. The Artist style took a few pages to get into, bu I was all in by the 4 th page and loved it.Everything is very metallic Ina 1950's flavor.
The fact that Robot
Treasa
Robot Zot lands on earth prepared to do battle with the armies he encounters there. With his trusty dog (Best Pal Bot) at his side, Robot Zot bests the many evils he meets, many of which have a striking resemblance to electronics found in the home.

Sometimes I really liked this book, and sometimes I found it tedious. I am not really a fan of David Shannon's illustrations - I often find them disturbing. (One picture in particular in this book I found pretty scary. If I were a young child reading i
Cathy
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immediately I knew that David Shannon drew these pictures. The charcters have these huge eyes and large shapes. The colors are so bright and vibrant. Robt Zot is destroying everything in his world. He attacked the toaster, blender and the t.v. He is just a toy but speaks in the manner of a human. Zot challenges the earth's shiny captain (the toaster). Zot comes in contact with another toy (play phone. The toy steals his heart. This book was so funny when he feel in love he wouldnt let anyone or ...more
Anthony
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robot Zot! Is a wonderful science-fiction book about a tiny robot that comes to earth because all he wants to do is fight. He is constantly fighting earth appliances such as a coffe maker, a blender and a television because he thinks they are enemy machines. At one point, he squares off against the Earth General (which is a dog) and he defends a queen he just met (which is a toy). Zot realizes that he wants to do more than just fight and win, he wants to be a hero and help others and fight for p ...more
Jackie Pino
Fearsome Robot Zot has plans to conquer Earth. Unfortunately, he is no bigger than a mouse. However, Zot knows no difference and conquers one family’s home, one appliance at a time. When he discovers his Queen, a colorful toy phone, Zot helps her escape from her guards only to be confronted by the family’s dog in the front yard.
Robot Zot gives off a Toy Story vibe, that all kids will enjoy. The storyline is quite humorous and kids will be entertained by figuring out what household item Zot will
Mary Winter
The small but fearsome Robot Zot and his mechanical sidekick have a plot to conquer earth. As they go about their mission, battling kitchen appliance, they leave a trail of havoc behind them.

This title is a picture book appropriate for grades K-3.

A public library should collect this book to supply to any younger Scieska fans, as well as any budding sci-fi enthusiasts. Any parents looking for a colorful, funny read for their kids would also do well to look into this one.

A public library could use
Brett Yoder
As a kid I liked books about cars, tractors, and anything mechanical. My sister liked books with happy endings, fairy tales, and anything that included a prince. Since I was the younger brother she ended up reading me a lot of books about the latter. This is a book that I have read to boys and girls at the age that my sister and I were at and both genders enjoy it. It involves a robot with a lot of destructive tendencies that eventually falls in love with a damsel in distress at the end and he f ...more
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Love and Roast Chicken: A Trickster Tale from the Andes Mountains
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Guess Again!
  • Posy
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...