Start by marking “Shame: The Power of Caring” as Want to Read:
Shame: The Power of Caring

Shame: The Power of Caring

'Trusted Seller;,
Published January 1st 1992 by Schenkman Books (first published August 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Shame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shame

L.K. Simonds
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shame: The Power of Caring, a thin volume on shame as experienced by children and carried into adulthood like a parasite, was published in 1980. I came across it in 2018 while browsing the internet for information about shame as research for a novel-in-progress. I bought a used paperback copy. The book arrived a few days later, and I began reading with my characters in mind. Suddenly, unexpectedly, the insights expressed in the book dredged up emotionally-charged memories from my own childhood.

S
Stephen Douglas Rowland
Some interesting ideas here, but this book is out-of-date (decades old) and mostly written for a readership of therapists (or "psychoanalysts").
Ali
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of Gershen's work on shame, This book lays the foundation of the causes of toxic shame, shame spiral, and internalized shame. I read the psychology of shame before this one, and I found it more elaborate, more psychoanalytic toward constructing the shame profile. I recommend reading the psychology of shame instead of this one if you are interested in learning about the toxic shame.
Glenn Berger
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This classic on a fundamental aspect of all emotional suffering is a must read for anyone on the journey of finding their lost heart. Kaufman's writing is both profound and easy to grasp. He illuminates brightly what has for far too long lived in the shadows.
David Roy
Kaufman's book was my introduction to the topic of shame and I am forever indebted. He mastered the work of Sylvan Tomkins, not an easy task. It remains a valuable resource for psychotherapists as well as the general public. Unfortunately, still to this day, even in the field of psychotherapy, shame is not close to being universally recognized for the power it has in countless small ways as well as in catastrophic ways to influence our decisions and our actions. This is especially true when we a ...more
Ann Olson
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Super wordy. Though there are pages of references in the back I had a hard time telling the difference between factual findings from research and his own opinions. I do greatly respect his thoughts and all the work he has done, but this book was tough to get through. Good information about shame binds, which was a very interesting concept to me. Interesting application to war in the final chapter.
Joan
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
One of the best books that I have read on the subject of shame.
Glen Johnson
Mrs C P I'Anson
Dec 29, 2018
Mirka
Jun 15, 2015
Gershen Kaufman was educated at Columbia University and received his PhD. in clinical psychology from the University of Rochester. Professor in the Counseling Center and Psychology Department at Michigan State University, he is the author of Shame: The Power of Caring (Rochester, Vermont: Schenkman Books, 1992) and The Psychology of Shame: Theory and Treatment of Shame-Based Syndromes (New York: S ...more